NATION

PASSWORD

Niki Lauda crosses the finish line..

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

I would..

..rather have an exciting and dangerous life than a boring and safe life
14%
..rather have a boring and safe life than an exciting and dangerous life
No votes
..can't I have exciting and safe
57%
..or boring and dangerous
No votes
..clicking polls is a great sense of excitement for me
29%

Total votes : 7

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Niki Lauda crosses the finish line..

Postby Bombadil » Mon May 20, 2019 6:32 pm

Formula One legend Niki Lauda has died aged 70, his family has said.

“With deep sadness, we announce that our beloved Niki has peacefully passed away with his family on Monday,” the family said in a statement, according to the Austrian press agency.

The statement paid tribute to “his unique achievements as an athlete and entrepreneur” and said “his tireless zest for action, his straightforwardness and his courage remain.

“A role model and a benchmark for all of us, he was a loving and caring husband, father and grandfather away from the public, and he will be missed.”

A Formula One legend, Lauda won three world titles in 1975, 1977 and 1984 with Mercedes and Ferrari.

A near-fatal crash in 1976 left him with severe burns, but he was able to come back to the sport, winning his second world championship just a year after the accident.

In his time there was some 1 in 5 chance of dying in a crash as an F1 driver, he nearly went that way but had one of the most courageous careers in F1.

Nowadays F1 is a relatively boring procession of pointy cars round a track, I guess there's always nostalgia for times when things were likely a little more dangerous but very much more exciting.

How much would you trade danger for excitement?
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon May 20, 2019 7:16 pm

Bugger. He was an awesome F1 driver.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Former Citizens of the Nimbus System
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Former Citizens of the Nimbus System » Mon May 20, 2019 7:23 pm

I can't say I agree with you regarding modern Formula 1's spectacle - that, though, we can put aside. Lauda was one of the all-time F1 greats - a three-time World Champion with two different teams and, later, a crucial part of Mercedes' rise to its current success in the sport. Not often you see someone succeed on both sides of the pit wall like that.
We are the Nexus Wardship of Former Citizens of the Nimbus System, not just a collection of people; please shorten to the pre-title or use the full name!

Emmet: You might see a mess -
Lord Business: Exactly: a bunch of weird, dorky stuff that ruined my perfectly good stuff!
Emmet: Okay. What I see are people, inspired by each other and by you - people taking what you made and making something new out of it.

The central Nimban cultural ideal summed up in an exchange from The Lego Movie.

Supporter of the campaign to add Economic Freedom to the home page!

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon May 20, 2019 7:38 pm

Former Citizens of the Nimbus System wrote:I can't say I agree with you regarding modern Formula 1's spectacle - that, though, we can put aside. Lauda was one of the all-time F1 greats - a three-time World Champion with two different teams and, later, a crucial part of Mercedes' rise to its current success in the sport. Not often you see someone succeed on both sides of the pit wall like that.

It's a thousand times safer, which is certainly a good thing.. but I think the William's car in '95 heralded the death of racing over the rise of electronics. Not to say there haven't been good seasons and races since but the same constructor keeps winning in long runs, from Ferrari, which effectively won most seasons from '99 - '08, then Red Bull for 4 seasons (with a Brawn blip) and then Mercedes for the past 5 seasons. And Brawn was technically a Mercedes anyway.

Look at the time when Lauda was racing and not only were there multiple winners in a season, a lot of champions didn't even finish a fair few races. And more constructors had the equal chance to win.
Last edited by Bombadil on Mon May 20, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon May 20, 2019 8:29 pm

I raced in my youth. Once I get out of banking and have enough of a fortune to blow, I will gladly get back into it. Sprint car racing is fun.

Rest in peace, Mr. Lauda. You lived well.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Mon May 20, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Return to General