NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Blackacre's Coup De Grace

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1011
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

[DRAFT] Blackacre's Coup De Grace

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:57 am

[title] Blackacre's Coup De Grace

[desc] An international tribunal has been called against @@NAME@@, as the Blackacre Dossier, a clear forgery, has been released, listing human rights violations, crimes against humanity and a "Lilliputian Genocide", with the death toll being listed as over 7 million. Both your allies and enemies have attended the tribune, preparing to make their case.

[validity] Valid for everyone.

[option] "The Blackacre Dossier is clear proof of guilt. I ask the defence, is there any opposing evidence?" The Secretary-General of the World Assembly Johann Drake, who is the brother of Blackacrean Dictator Valeria Drake. Your allies mumble, as the Secretary-General proclaims "No? Oh well, case closed. @@LEADER@@, your sentence shall be determined by your peers. Any objections?"

{effect] The @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ leadership is the international head of the bootlicking committee

[validity] Valid for all.

[option] "OBJECTION!" yells the Bigtopian delegate, Big Wig, "There was no Lilliputian Genocide and even if there was, they deserved it! But yeah, @@LEADER@@'s still gotta hang for the human rights violations."

[effect] murder is only illegal against the ethnic majority

[validity] Valid for all.

[option] "OBJECTION!" proclaims the United Federation delegate, James Rothvelt, "@@NAME@@ is a valuable ally of ours, and so we shall not let you do this! We veto your decision!" Rothvelt then goes below the table: "Look, @@LEADER@@, we like you and all, but can you consider, loosening your economic policy a bit? We wouldn't mind some low tariffs here, y'know?"

[effect] tariffs are abolished in order to excuse genocide along with crimes against humanity

[validity] Valid for capitalist nations.

[option] "OBJECTION!" declares the East Lebuktese delegate, Vailoslav Marov (of whom the Marov cocktail is named after), "@@NAME@@ is a fellow socialist state and a wonderful ally. We hereby use our veto to overturn your decision!" Marov then goes under the table: "Look, @@LEADER@@, we can make deal, yes? Our leader, Leonard Chernobikov, has asked me to make request of you. We want you to be better socialist, yes? Do we agree? Good."

[effect] @@NAME@@ vetoes WA bills through making the country more socialist

[validity] Valid for socialist nations.

[option] "OBJECTION!" trumpeted the Despojanbourgish delegate, @@RANDOMNAME@@ "First off, before I begin, I'd like to tell the Secretary-General to initiate sexual relations with himself. Secondly, this tribunal is nothing more than a show trial designed to attack our great ally, the esteemed @@LEADER@@ of @@NAME@@. This is a corrupt tribunal and therefore shall be struck null and void."

[effect] insulting people is how @@NAME@@ gets its way

[validity] Valid for all.

[option] After being insulted, the Secretary-General calls forth a break. The Manamanan delegate approaches you as you leave the hall. "Hello, @@LEADER@@. Look, to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't attend this meeting in my sleep. However, I must say that we are currently supporting you. And so, I would like to extend you an offer: we are willing to bribe and control the tribune if you give us some cash and a trade treaty with Manamana. What do you say?"

[effect] trade is above the law

[validity] Valid for capitalist and corrupt nations.

[option] After being insulted, the Secretary-General calls forth a break. An East Lebucktese man in a black suit approaches you as you leave the hall. "Hello, @@LEADER@@. I am from the State, East Lebucktese's spy agency. We are willing to make the Secretary-General and those opposing you...disappear, so to speak. All we need is your backing, guns and domestic access. What do you say?"

[effect] foreign operatives often kill @@DENONYM@@ citizens on a regular basis

[validity] Valid for socialist and corrupt nations.

[option] "Screw 'em." says your gruff Foreign Secretary. "We'll just flip them off, walk out of this trial and then be done with it. They can invade us if they dare. Let's just leave."

[effect] @@NAME@@ no longer attends international meetings

[validity] Valid for all.

Any suggestions or further options?
Last edited by The World Capitalist Confederation on Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Is Homosexual.
IC name is the Second British Republic
This nation is just satire. I'm an anarcho-syndicalist IRL.
10.5: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=363018
Literature and Philosophical Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... a=100&p=80
http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... =52.5&s=80
MBTI: ENTP
PolitiScales: http://politiscales.la-commune.net/en_U ... 0&comp=100
B
Apartheid Supporters Click Here!

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18117
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:57 am

'tribunal', not 'tribune'.

Probably more comments later.
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152.

User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1011
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:10 am

Bears Armed wrote:'tribunal', not 'tribune'.

Probably more comments later.

Alright thanks.
Is Homosexual.
IC name is the Second British Republic
This nation is just satire. I'm an anarcho-syndicalist IRL.
10.5: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=363018
Literature and Philosophical Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... a=100&p=80
http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... =52.5&s=80
MBTI: ENTP
PolitiScales: http://politiscales.la-commune.net/en_U ... 0&comp=100
B
Apartheid Supporters Click Here!

User avatar
USS Monitor
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 27462
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:25 am

If it's a clear forgery, why are people taking it seriously? Maybe say that while many of the dossier's accusations are false, the international community is unsure what's true and what's not.

And then the options need some work to make them sound more like something that would actually be said at an international tribunal dealing with something as serious as genocide.

Also, sentencing @@LEADER@@ to death poses a narrative problem because issues can't force @@LEADER@@ out of office.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
~~One Stop Rules Shop (OSRS)~~Getting Help (GHR)~~
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1011
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:43 am

USS Monitor wrote:If it's a clear forgery, why are people taking it seriously? Maybe say that while many of the dossier's accusations are false, the international community is unsure what's true and what's not.

And then the options need some work to make them sound more like something that would actually be said at an international tribunal dealing with something as serious as genocide.

Also, sentencing @@LEADER@@ to death poses a narrative problem because issues can't force @@LEADER@@ out of office.

What alternative would you suggest for the 'sentence to death' thing?
Is Homosexual.
IC name is the Second British Republic
This nation is just satire. I'm an anarcho-syndicalist IRL.
10.5: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=363018
Literature and Philosophical Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... a=100&p=80
http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... =52.5&s=80
MBTI: ENTP
PolitiScales: http://politiscales.la-commune.net/en_U ... 0&comp=100
B
Apartheid Supporters Click Here!

User avatar
Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Envoy
 
Posts: 284
Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:30 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Also, sentencing @@LEADER@@ to death poses a narrative problem because issues can't force @@LEADER@@ out of office.


That, and since the player has to select those options, they imply that @@LEADER@@ is voluntarily agreeing to @@HIS@@ own execution.

In fact, that's kind of a general problem with an issue that seems to be a debate among foreign officials. Presumably, an issue is over a policy debate internal to @@NATION@@, whereas debate amongst nations is more appropriate to WA roleplay. Perhaps having an issue concerning some international incident where some options describes @@NATION@@'s allies makes sense, but including @@NATIONS@@ enemies just seems strange.

I'd suggest re-framing the issue so that foreign opinions/participation are completely confined to the description, and then the issue options are @@LEADER@@'s cabinet/advisors/cousin/motley-crew deciding how to respond:

[description] @@NATION@@ has been accused of genocide!

[option] Maybe we should cooperate with an investigation as a gesture of good will...
[option] We should remain silent and neither acknowledge or deny...
[option] The accusations are absurd and we should spread propaganda Glorioius Truth (TM) to that effect...
[option] HOW DARE THEY ACCUSE US! KILL THEM ALL!...
Last edited by Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1011
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:53 pm

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:Also, sentencing @@LEADER@@ to death poses a narrative problem because issues can't force @@LEADER@@ out of office.


That, and since the player has to select those options, they imply that @@LEADER@@ is voluntarily agreeing to @@HIS@@ own execution.

In fact, that's kind of a general problem with an issue that seems to be a debate among foreign officials. Presumably, an issue is over a policy debate internal to @@NATION@@, whereas debate amongst nations is more appropriate to WA roleplay. Perhaps having an issue concerning some international incident where some options describes @@NATION@@'s allies makes sense, but including @@NATIONS@@ enemies just seems strange.

I'd suggest re-framing the issue so that foreign opinions/participation are completely confined to the description, and then the issue options are @@LEADER@@'s cabinet/advisors/cousin/motley-crew deciding how to respond:

[description] @@NATION@@ has been accused of genocide!

[option] Maybe we should cooperate with an investigation as a gesture of good will...
[option] We should remain silent and neither acknowledge or deny...
[option] The accusations are absurd and we should spread propaganda Glorioius Truth (TM) to that effect...
[option] HOW DARE THEY ACCUSE US! KILL THEM ALL!...

The choice was supposed to be what side the nation takes, and so defining your pick depends on whose side you pick. I could move the Dossier to be on Despojanbourg, and then reframe the issue as a matter of who it follows.
Is Homosexual.
IC name is the Second British Republic
This nation is just satire. I'm an anarcho-syndicalist IRL.
10.5: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=363018
Literature and Philosophical Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... a=100&p=80
http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... =52.5&s=80
MBTI: ENTP
PolitiScales: http://politiscales.la-commune.net/en_U ... 0&comp=100
B
Apartheid Supporters Click Here!

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15836
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:43 pm

My country does not comnit genocide in the 21 lst Century
Disclaimer: In-Character posts are NOT a reflection of the real world Australian government, any government departments, or any Australian states or territories. I have no authority over real world government decisions.
This nation does not reflect my views, as I am trying to unlock banners
From Sydney, NSW. From Greek ancestry. Orthodox Christian
Why stylised as "rePublic"
14 Published Issues
Please sign my petition to transport water across Australia (real life)
Issue Ideas You Can Steal

User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1011
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:53 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:My country does not comnit genocide in the 21 lst Century

It says forgery on the label.
Is Homosexual.
IC name is the Second British Republic
This nation is just satire. I'm an anarcho-syndicalist IRL.
10.5: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=363018
Literature and Philosophical Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... a=100&p=80
http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... =52.5&s=80
MBTI: ENTP
PolitiScales: http://politiscales.la-commune.net/en_U ... 0&comp=100
B
Apartheid Supporters Click Here!

User avatar
Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Envoy
 
Posts: 284
Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:04 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:The choice was supposed to be what side the nation takes, and so defining your pick depends on whose side you pick.


Yeah, again, I've always understood issue options to be about what @@LEADER@@ wants. And we cannot really assume that @@LEADER@@ and @@NATION@@ wants the same thing, necessarily, cause not all players are playing (direct) democracies.

The player is effectively @@LEADER@@ and therefore the option the player chooses is what @@LEADER@@ chooses. Ergo, an option where @@LEADER@@ chooses to be executed is...problematic.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

User avatar
USS Monitor
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 27462
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:27 pm

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners wrote:
The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:The choice was supposed to be what side the nation takes, and so defining your pick depends on whose side you pick.


Yeah, again, I've always understood issue options to be about what @@LEADER@@ wants. And we cannot really assume that @@LEADER@@ and @@NATION@@ wants the same thing, necessarily, cause not all players are playing (direct) democracies.

The player is effectively @@LEADER@@ and therefore the option the player chooses is what @@LEADER@@ chooses. Ergo, an option where @@LEADER@@ chooses to be executed is...problematic.


Yeah, this is a fair point.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
~~One Stop Rules Shop (OSRS)~~Getting Help (GHR)~~
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

User avatar
Chan Island
Minister
 
Posts: 2795
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chan Island » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 am

Could the accusation in the document maybe be a *little* less extreme? 7 million dead would be a very noticeable sudden disappearance, surely something that would strongly point against it being valid?
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads