NATION

PASSWORD

New Mexico militia's detaining migrants.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support militias detaining illegal immigrants at the border?

Yes, they are legally justified, and are doing the right thing.
32%
Yes, I'm unsure as to the legality, but it is necessary.
14%
Unsure or undecided.
6%
No, this is illegal.
14%
No, legality doesn't matter, it's immoral.
14%
No, this is illegal, and immoral.
21%

Total votes : 303

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:24 am

Telconi wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Militia are part time. Police are full time professionals.

Part time volunteer auxiliary police are basically militia, but are organized and regulated.

Militia have a place, I am not against militia in per se.

But anyway wannabes claiming to be militia are not the same as a properly organized and regulated militia.

The people in question here are the former.

Debatable. We really don't have a ton of information on their organization and regulatiin.

We certainly know they are not associated nor endorsed by the state government.
That some members have criminal records.

They certainly have no official, nor even semi official status.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:39 am

Novus America wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Debatable. We really don't have a ton of information on their organization and regulatiin.

Even lynch mobs at least had implied government sanction unlike this sorry lot.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Novus America wrote:
Telconi wrote:

And the police forces, which are associated and endorsed by the government, have such a stellar record of never shooting minorities. Less people have been shot by the militia, which is simply detaining them, overall than have been shot by the Chicago police last year.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Elwher wrote:
Novus America wrote:

And the police forces, which are associated and endorsed by the government, have such a stellar record of never shooting minorities. Less people have been shot by the militia, which is simply detaining them, overall than have been shot by the Chicago police last year.

You do realise that goes way beyond apples to oranges, right?

And it still doesn't make these acts of kidnapping OK.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Elwher
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Elwher wrote:

First, they are illegal detention at worst, they do not meet the legal definition of kidnapping.

Second, it is not apples to oranges. Some here are claiming that the police, because they are affiliated with the government, are more trustworthy than the militias. I am offering a counter to that argument. Police forces have been killing suspects at a greater rate than militias, making them, in my opinion, less accountable.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:41 pm

Elwher wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

First, they are illegal detention at worst, they do not meet the legal definition of kidnapping.

Second, it is not apples to oranges. Some here are claiming that the police, because they are affiliated with the government, are more trustworthy than the militias. I am offering a counter to that argument. Police forces have been killing suspects at a greater rate than militias, making them, in my opinion, less accountable.

So what's your dataset for the number of killings of migrants by militias?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Elwher
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:13 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Elwher wrote:

Purely negative data, as I have not read of any cases of that while I read of many cases of police killing suspects. If you have data to disprove my claim, I will revise it based on new information.
Ambrose Bierce

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:14 pm

Elwher wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Purely negative data, as I have not read of any cases of that while I read of many cases of police killing suspects. If you have data to disprove my claim, I will revise it based on new information.

So we're juggling the burden of proof?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:19 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Elwher wrote:

The media doesn't like militias which detain migrants, does it?
So why haven't they been able to come up with actual wrong things they've done?
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Elwher
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:28 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Elwher wrote:

Not really. My claim is that, based on media reports, militias kill their suspected criminals at a lower rate than police forces. I am open to having my claim disproved by any evidence to the contrary.
Ambrose Bierce

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:12 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Well, yes, but that's beside the point. The salient point here is none of his buddies, or him, are being charged with any form of kidnapping, detaining, unlawful imprisonment, impersonating officer, sort of stuff. So it would seem that what they're doing doesnt constitute a crime.

Because it isn't a crime, no matter how much leftists want to scream it is

I mean, we are talking about people who think open borders is okay and endorse sanctuary cities, of course they are going to call the Militia criminals.

30-4-3. False imprisonment.
False imprisonment consists of intentionally confining or restraining another person without his consent and with knowledge that he has no lawful authority to do so.
Whoever commits false imprisonment is guilty of a fourth degree felony.

(New Mexico Criminal Code)
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Novus America wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Official status, or government endorsement isn't necesssry for organization and regulation.

Vassenor wrote:
Elwher wrote:

Proof of positive innocence is a rediculous demand.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
That depends if the militias are actually being allowed to act with impunity or if they're simply apprehending a criminal.

If we remove the police force and replace it with militias, the only people preventing militias from acting with impunity will be other militias.
Elwher wrote:
The San Francisco Committee of Vigilance cleaned up the town quite well in the 1850's, did it not?

99% =/= 100%. Virtual certainty is not absolute certainty, and there's nothing preventing militias from doing good and acting with honor, especially if the relevant authorities are corrupt and/or tyrannical. The issue is that there's also nothing making them do good and act with honor, and they'll probably loot, rape, and murder their way through the countryside if nobody can or will stop them. Police forces were created because the old system of militias tenuously connected to the ideals of law and order tended to uphold neither unless someone else forced them to. Same reason why mercenaries were largely replaced with professional armies as soon as the switch became viable.

So you're suggesting the UCP was going to try raping a speeding train and burn down their own homes if the Governor opted to let them continue?

Problems like that arise when the militias become a "movement" and begin migrating illegally under force of arms to the capitol.

Otherwise mall security would be setting fire to shopping malls and molotoving illegally parked cars left and right.

Even power-tripping wannabees are mostly harmless even when out the the most extreme knee-jerk reaction.
-Or were they secretly planning on looting/raping the marine recruiters inside?
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General