NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Murderously Sweet Suspect

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Rhein States
Attaché

Founded: Jul 15, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Murderously Sweet Suspect

Postby The Rhein States » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:26 am

TITLE Muderously Sweet Suspect

VALIDITY Must not ban animal experimentation

DESCRIPTION
Acesulfame Potassium, also known as Ace K, a calorie-free sugar substitute, used in over fifty percent of sweetened products, has been the suspect of carcinogenic deaths. A study, dividing the scientific world, has found that mice given high dosage of Ace K had a higher prevelance of cancer, The head of the @@INITIALS@@ Food and Drug Administration has come to your office to explain the organsations stance on this matter.

OPTION 1 - "This so-called study had several shortcomings." explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, while showing a candy-colored powerpoint presentation, "Randomization flaws *click* poor animal monitoring *click* and an inadequate test duration. We have assessed Ace K ourselfs and, @@LEADER@@, it is completly GRAS so don't worry, it's safe."

EF C4H4KNO4S is consumed more than ever

OPTION 2 - "Better safe than sorry, " replies @@RANDOMNAME@@, from the Center of Science in the Public Interest, embittered, "The @@INITIALS@@FDA deemed Ace K 'generally recognized as safe' without so much as a quick review! Nothing has been proven yet and until proper research has been done we must ban Ace K as sweetener in consumer products."

EF Advantame, Alitame and Aspartame are appetizing alternatives

OPTION 3 - @@RANDOMNAME@@, a ninety-year-old citizen comes shambling into your office, "We had no such problems in the past. Bring back sugar and get rid of those nasty modern inventions."

EF Body fat isn't as artificial as the sweeteners once were

Last edited by The Rhein States on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:36 am

To be honest, I'd probably dismiss this issue outright if I received it. There isn't really a political or ideological question being asked in this draft. All I really have to go on are just simple statements that "it's safe" and "it's not safe." If anything, I'd like to see the study so I can decide for myself, but that's obviously beyond the scope of issues generally.

A more appropriate example might be the debate about smoking or drinking, which carry arguments and implications concerning individual action and autonomy (and thus about a political/ideological stance which @@LEADER@@ can take). For instance, @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of @@DENONYM@@ Tobacco Company and noted necromancer, might argue that even if smoking causes lung cancer (and we're not conceding that it does!) it's still up to the individual to decide what they put into their alveoli. And @@RANDOMNAME@@, President of the @@NATION@@ Lung Society and professional busybody, might counter that second-hand smoke is contrary to individual rights, since smokers decide for other people by polluting the air.

Etc., and etc.

It might be difficult coming up with a similar take for an artificial sweetener, since it probably doesn't have second-hand effects like smoking (and drinking, via behavioral effects) does, but hopefully you get the idea. What's the pressing social issue that @@LEADER@@ needs to decide here?
Last edited by Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 pm

The Rhein States wrote:TITLE Muderously Sweet Suspect

DESCRIPTION
Acesulfame Potassium, also known as Ace K, a calorie-free sugar substitute, used in over fifty percent of sweetened products, has been the suspect of carcinogenic deaths. A study, dividing the scientific world, has found that mice given high dosage of Ace K had a higher prevelance of cancer, The head of the @@INITIALS@@ Food and Drug Administration has come to your office to explain the organsations stance on this matter.

This could be stronger. Partly it's what Bot Cleaners said. Partly it's that the FDA explaining their position to you isn't a dilemma. If you already have an FDA and they already have a position, then why does @@LEADER@@ need to be involved?

The effect line makes no sense out of context. If people see it on someone's nation page without seeing the issue it came from, the obvious question is: Alternatives to what?

Also, be careful of abbrevations or formulae like GRAS and C4H4KNO4S that some players will not recognize. Is "GRAS" used internationally or is that specifically American government terminology? You used the acronym before you used the written-out version, and I'm not sure everyone that reads it would know what GRAS means.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:27 pm

The Rhein States wrote:
TITLE Muderously Sweet Suspect

DESCRIPTION

OPTION 1 - "This so-called study had several shortcomings." explains @@RANDOMNAME@@, while showing a candy-colored powerpoint presentation, "Randomization flaws *click* poor animal monitoring *click* and an inadequate test duration. We have assessed Ace K ourselfs and, @@LEADER@@, it is completly GRAS so don't worry, it's safe."

EF C4H4KNO4S is consumed more than ever

OPTION 2 - "Better safe than sorry, " replies @@RANDOMNAME@@, from the Center of Science in the Public Interest, embittered, "The @@INITIALS@@FDA deemed Ace K 'generally recognized as safe' without so much as a quick review! Nothing has been proven yet and until proper research has been done we must ban Ace K as sweetener in consumer products."

OPTION 3 - @@RANDOMNAME@@, a ninety-year-old citizen comes shambling into your office, "We had no such problems in the past. Bring back sugar and get rid of those nasty modern inventions."

EF Body fat isn't as artificial as the sweeteners once were

I have highlighted some spelling mistakes in red, or the ones that I have noticed anyway.

The effect of option 2 seems to lack punch. Mind you, the same could probably also be said for the effect of option 1.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:34 pm

USS Monitor wrote: Is "GRAS" used internationally or is that specifically American government terminology?

Technically, it's an FDA term, but my memory insists that international organizations use, or at least recognize, it too. Whether they do so officially or merely because the FDA is big and influential, my Google-fu cannot seem to determine.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 pm

For what it's worth, C4H4KNO4S is just the chemical formula. Anyone who's had high school chemistry should be able to recognize it as a chemical formula, though not necessarily which chemical it stands for. I think we have the technical capability to render the subscripts properly, at least in the issue itself, though I think not in effect lines.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:32 pm

Options 2 & 3 have the same result
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Trotterdam wrote:For what it's worth, C4H4KNO4S is just the chemical formula. Anyone who's had high school chemistry should be able to recognize it as a chemical formula, though not necessarily which chemical it stands for. I think we have the technical capability to render the subscripts properly, at least in the issue itself, though I think not in effect lines.

Recognizing it as a chemical formula doesn't give the reader enough info for it to be interesting. It's a bland effect line to start with, and making it harder to understand the meaning just makes it weaker.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:23 am

That effect is definitely bland, but I think we could spice it up and add some humor that plays on its obscurity rather than needing other remove it.

Something like "C4H4KNO4S is treated as if it were mere C12H22O11."

Alternately, I could see it used as the final effect as "little Sally is no more 'cause what she thought was H2O was really C4H4KNSO4" (though I don't know how prevalent that rhyme is outside the states).
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:24 am

Verdant Haven wrote:That effect is definitely bland, but I think we could spice it up and add some humor that plays on its obscurity rather than needing other remove it.

Something like "C4H4KNO4S is treated as if it were mere C12H22O11."

Alternately, I could see it used as the final effect as "little Sally is no more 'cause what she thought was H2O was really C4H4KNSO4" (though I don't know how prevalent that rhyme is outside the states).

I think those still feel forced and it would be better to get the chemical formula out of there. In an issue that was ABOUT chemical formulas or clarity of communication, something like that would work. Here, it's just out of place and trying too hard to be "clever."

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:23 am

The Rhein States wrote:@@INITIALS@@ Food and Drug Administration

For my nation this would read: B Food and Drug Administration.

The macro you want is either demonymadjective or name.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?