NATION

PASSWORD

1912 Presidential Election: Rise of the Progressives (OOC)

For all of your non-Nationstates related roleplaying needs!
User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

1912 Presidential Election: Rise of the Progressives (OOC)

Postby Arlenton » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:04 pm

1912 Presidential Election
President William Howard Taft not only leads a divided country, but a divided party. The debates of tariffs, trusts, and other economic issues are dominant, as well as the debate over proposed progressive reforms. The Republican party is divided between conservatives who are loyal to President Taft and progressives who want a new progressive nominee. There is a real possibility that the progressives may bolt and run their own ticket. The Democratic Party, meanwhile, sees the Republican party's internal friction as a chance for them to finally win the Presidency after over a decade of Republican administrations.

Top Issues: Tariffs, Trusts, Economic Issues, Progressive Reforms.

This is meant to be a fairly fast paced election RP. I want to keep each fairly short so that we can continue going from election to election.

How to play
-Pick one of the given candidates.
-Try to win your party's nomination by making deals with other candidates, either by promising them positions or by compromising on positions, to get their endorsement.
-The convention will hold votes until one candidates gets a majority of delegates, and is nominated.
-If nominated, choose a running mate. You may choose from any of the running mate choices as well as any former presidential candidates.
-Campaign by holding rallies in towns and cities as well as advertising.
-If you are not nominated, you can campaign to help your party's nominee.
-Whichever candidate gets a majority of the electoral votes wins.

Rules
-OP is god.
-Do not control any other figures or organizations, only your candidate and their campaign. You may control your running mate as well if no one is playing as them.
-You may campaign as much as you want, just try not to spam.
-No unauthorized third parties or candidates.
-No trolling or satire candidates.
-Your candidate's positions must be the same as they were IRL at the time. (I can give a little leeway because sometimes it is hard to determine the positions of some candidates, especially in the older elections)

Hints
-Making deals and compromising with other factions of your party may help you get the nomination.
-You may want to balance your ticket when selecting a running mate.
-Skim through Wikipedia articles or other sources to get a sense of your candidate's positions.
-Pay attention to polls, but keep in mind that upsets do happen.
-Map out a strategy using sources like the US Election Atlas or 270towin.
-When campaigning, you should address the top issues in order to really have an effect.
-Keep in mind that while campaigning, saying one thing may help you in some states, but hurt you in others.


Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Party:[/b]
[b]Current or former office held[/b]
[b]Home State (If your candidate happens to be in the military you may leave this blank):[/b]


Republican Party
Candidates
William Howard Taft President from Ohio
Theodore Roosevelt Former President from New York
Robert La Follette Senator from Wisconsin
Albert B Cummins Senator from Iowa

Running Mates
James S Sherman Vice President from New York
William Borah Senator from Idaho
Charles Edward Merriam Professor from Illinois
Herbert S Hadley Governor of Missouri
Albert J Beveridge Senator from Indiana
Hiram Johnson Governor of California



Democratic Party
Candidates
Champ Clark Speaker of the House from Missouri
Woodrow Wilson Governor of New Jersey
Oscar Underwood House Minority Leader from Alabama
Judson Harmon Governor of Ohio
Thomas R Marshall Governor of Indiana
Simeon E Baldwin Governor of Connecticut
Eugene Foss Governor of Massachusetts

Running Mates
John Burke Governor of North Dakota
George E Chamberlains Senator from Oregon
James H Preston Mayor of Baltimore, Maryland
Elmore W Hurst Former State Representative from Illinois



*Only available if the Republican Party nominates a conservative.*
Progressive Party
Candidates
Theodore Roosevelt Former President from New York
Robert La Follette Senator from Wisconsin
Albert B Cummins Senator from Iowa

Running Mates
Hiram Johnson Governor of California
William Borah Senator from Idaho
Charles Edward Merriam Professor from Illinois
Herbert S Hadley Governor of Missouri
Albert J Beveridge Senator from Indiana


Aureumterra - Robert La Follette (R-WI)
Finland SSR - Theodore Roosevelt (R-NY)

Greater Arab State - Champ Clark (D-MO)
Helowi - Thomas R Marshall (D-IN)
Dentali - Judson Harmon (D-OH)


IC Thread
Last edited by Arlenton on Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:58 am, edited 7 times in total.

User avatar
Greater Arab State
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1655
Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Name: Champ Clark
Party: Democratic
Current or former office held: Speaker of the House of Representatives
Home state (if your candidate happens to be in the military then you may leave this blank): Missouri
TRUMP 2020

#Moggmentum

This nation does Not represent my political views.

Washington: Senator Alois Kramer (Republican-Alabama)

Westminster: Anita Benn MP (Conservative-Corby)

Economic Left/Right: 6.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 7.28

TG's welcome.

User avatar
Greater Arab State
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1655
Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Sorry about this but for the Democratic Convention is it a simple majority or two thirds majority?
TRUMP 2020

#Moggmentum

This nation does Not represent my political views.

Washington: Senator Alois Kramer (Republican-Alabama)

Westminster: Anita Benn MP (Conservative-Corby)

Economic Left/Right: 6.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 7.28

TG's welcome.

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:52 pm

Greater Arab State wrote:Name: Champ Clark
Party: Democratic
Current or former office held: Speaker of the House of Representatives
Home state (if your candidate happens to be in the military then you may leave this blank): Missouri

Accepted.

BTW I forgot to make an app code, sorry about that. I'll add one.

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Greater Arab State wrote:Sorry about this but for the Democratic Convention is it a simple majority or two thirds majority?

A simple majority for both/all parties and delegates are allocated the same way as the electoral vote to keep things simple. Winner take all for each state as well.

Both conventions will take place in the IC when enough candidates have joined. In this case, the possible third party convention will take place after the Republican convention is finished.
Last edited by Arlenton on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aureumterra
Minister
 
Posts: 2361
Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Name: Robert La Follete
Party: Republican
Current or former office held Senator from Wisconsin
Home State (If your candidate happens to be in the military you may leave this blank): Wisconsin

(I think I was one of the participants in the first election thread you had, been a long time, hasn’t it?)
♔-Put this in your sig if you’re a Monarchy/Empire
Emperor of the MIF! Join today to preserve monarchy!
Pro: Trump, MAGA, Capitalism, Gender Equality, MAGA 2020
Anti: Democrats, 3rd wave feminism, Racism, Socialism, ANTIFA
Icelandic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player (yes, I live in Ísland, and it’s NOT called Iceland)
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Kragholm Free States wrote:oooh daddy hitler I've been a naughty little untermensch gas me harder

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:04 pm

Aureumterra wrote:Name: Robert La Follete
Party: Republican
Current or former office held Senator from Wisconsin
Home State (If your candidate happens to be in the military you may leave this blank): Wisconsin

(I think I was one of the participants in the first election thread you had, been a long time, hasn’t it?)

Accepted.

And yes it has. And I think I remember your flag.

User avatar
Helowi
Diplomat
 
Posts: 634
Founded: May 20, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Helowi » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Name: Thomas R. Marshall
Party: Democratic
Current or former office held Incumbent Governor of Indiana
Home State (If your candidate happens to be in the military you may leave this blank): Indiana
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95
ISideWith 2020 Election Results
https://www.isidewith.com/profile/34439 ... esidential

User avatar
Dentali
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12470
Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dentali » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:07 pm

i just did this RP but it fell apart, playing as roosevelt and putting a shit ton of effort in. I definitely want to play in this and future RPs (1960s please), but I don't want to play a major character. I'd probably play a favorite son/ potential VP choice. But I dont want to pick a dude to be yet until the roster fills out a bit

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:59 am

Helowi wrote:Name: Thomas R. Marshall
Party: Democratic
Current or former office held Incumbent Governor of Indiana
Home State (If your candidate happens to be in the military you may leave this blank): Indiana

Accepted.

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:01 am

Dentali wrote:i just did this RP but it fell apart, playing as roosevelt and putting a shit ton of effort in. I definitely want to play in this and future RPs (1960s please), but I don't want to play a major character. I'd probably play a favorite son/ potential VP choice. But I dont want to pick a dude to be yet until the roster fills out a bit

Yeah that'd be fine.

User avatar
Dentali
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12470
Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dentali » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:52 am

Arlenton wrote:
Dentali wrote:i just did this RP but it fell apart, playing as roosevelt and putting a shit ton of effort in. I definitely want to play in this and future RPs (1960s please), but I don't want to play a major character. I'd probably play a favorite son/ potential VP choice. But I dont want to pick a dude to be yet until the roster fills out a bit

Yeah that'd be fine.


Herbert S Hadley Governor of Missouri is actually very intriguing so i'd like to reserve them for now

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:20 pm

Dentali wrote:
Arlenton wrote:Yeah that'd be fine.


Herbert S Hadley Governor of Missouri is actually very intriguing so i'd like to reserve them for now

Alright.

User avatar
Finland SSR
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14382
Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:01 am

Image

Name: Theodore Roosevelt Jr.
Party: Republican Party
Current or former office held:
  • Former Member of the New York State Assembly from the Manhattan 21st (1882 – 1884)
  • Former New York State Assembly Minority Leader (1883 - 1884)
  • Former Assistant Secretary of the Navy (1897 – 1898)
  • 33rd Governor of New York (1899 – 1901)
  • 25th Vice President of the United States (1901)
  • 26th President of the United States (1901 - 1909)
Home State: New York
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Finland SSR wrote:(Image)

Name: Theodore Roosevelt Jr.
Party: Republican Party
Current or former office held:
  • Former Member of the New York State Assembly from the Manhattan 21st (1882 – 1884)
  • Former New York State Assembly Minority Leader (1883 - 1884)
  • Former Assistant Secretary of the Navy (1897 – 1898)
  • 33rd Governor of New York (1899 – 1901)
  • 25th Vice President of the United States (1901)
  • 26th President of the United States (1901 - 1909)
Home State: New York

Accepted.

User avatar
Dentali
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12470
Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dentali » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Please reserve 5 year old Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Dentali wrote:Please reserve 5 year old Ronald Reagan

He'll be appearing as an option when we get to 1968 and onward.

User avatar
Dentali
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12470
Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dentali » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:48 pm

Arlenton wrote:
Dentali wrote:Please reserve 5 year old Ronald Reagan

He'll be appearing as an option when we get to 1968 and onward.


I’m calling dibs

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Since there are at least two candidates for each party, I will start up the IC soon.

User avatar
Dentali
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12470
Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dentali » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Arlenton wrote:Since there are at least two candidates for each party, I will start up the IC soon.



I'll do judson harmon

User avatar
Dentali
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12470
Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dentali » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Name: Judson Harmon
Party: Democratic Party
Current or former office held:
  • Former United States Attorney General (1895-1897)
  • Governor of Ohio (1909-1913)
Home State: Ohio[/quote]

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Dentali wrote:Name: Judson Harmon
Party: Democratic Party
Current or former office held:
  • Former United States Attorney General (1895-1897)
  • Governor of Ohio (1909-1913)
Home State: Ohio
[/quote]
Accepted.

User avatar
Dentali
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12470
Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dentali » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Arlenton wrote:
Dentali wrote:Name: Judson Harmon
Party: Democratic Party
Current or former office held:
  • Former United States Attorney General (1895-1897)
  • Governor of Ohio (1909-1913)
Home State: Ohio

Accepted.[/quote]


assuming you needed a dem?

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:44 pm

Dentali wrote:
Arlenton wrote:

Accepted.



assuming you needed a dem?[/quote]
We now have three Democrats and two Republicans (both progressive types).

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8391
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:57 am

The IC is posted. Remember at this point y'all are vying for your party's nomination. Try to make your case to state delegations, or even make deals with other candidates to try to gain their support.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arkhastok, Azlaake, Greater Liverpool, Lunas Legion, Novas Arcanum, Plzen, Reverend Norv, Tracian Empire

Advertisement

Remove ads