NATION

PASSWORD

Is this BS?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I think..

..this is clearly BS
19%
..this is not BS
16%
..clicking polls is BS
10%
..Hasselhoff is BS
13%
..everything is BS
42%

Total votes : 31

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:58 am

Bombadil wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:It was him,

That's.. kind of an unnecessary addition there..

Anyhoo.. there seems a lot of stories I'm questioning today, from someone flying around the world on a gyrocopter to Europe's tallest building being built in a town of 7, 000 in Denmark to a host of others.

Maybe it takes April 1st for me to see how ridiculous most of the news is in general.

Yeah it was necessary.

That said, I dont know why you think this is an April fools thing, if you click through the author's name he does a lot of studies on race, opportunities, and educational outcomes.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Neureich am Fischbach
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neureich am Fischbach » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:01 am

Bombadil wrote:
Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:There's no link to the actual scientific data, no explanation of how is interpreted either.notice there is a correlation between a country's total population and how they rank on scale. I'd say there's a good chance someone did not count per capita but rather just used the raw numbers to claim that one country was more likely to be bullshitters than another. Also this one includes anglophone nations supposedly. That really doesn't say much is we don't know if it was all anglophone countries or just a select few.

The science behind this reeks of bullshit.

I'm really beginning to think this is an AI generated piece of fake news.

The study also sounds too good. Most studies claiming surprisingly trendy results are bad studies and often weak. Like 20 students from the same region. That this even so extensively covered the Anglophone world. That seems unlikely.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:19 am

Liriena wrote:
Their study of 40,000 teenagers reveals that boys; those from privileged backgrounds; and North Americans in particular, top the charts as the worst offenders.

Don't know about the "boys" part, but privileged and North American? I can buy that. We do know that increasing wealth might go hand in hand with increasing unethical behavior.

Poor people cannot afford it ;)
The Blaatschapen should resign

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:02 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
That's.. kind of an unnecessary addition there..

Anyhoo.. there seems a lot of stories I'm questioning today, from someone flying around the world on a gyrocopter to Europe's tallest building being built in a town of 7, 000 in Denmark to a host of others.

Maybe it takes April 1st for me to see how ridiculous most of the news is in general.

Yeah it was necessary.

That said, I dont know why you think this is an April fools thing, if you click through the author's name he does a lot of studies on race, opportunities, and educational outcomes.

..because I can’t find the study anywhere, not listed in any of the 3 people’s sites listing their studies who conducted and contributed to it, not anything anywhere. The whole article has vague links and I could put a story like this together vaguely referencing things with no hard evidence and post to NSG and I’d expect more scrutiny from the link nazis.

..in fact..

..I’m going to rework my Shagging Birds thread..
Last edited by Bombadil on Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:17 am

Bombadil wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Yeah it was necessary.

..because I can’t find the study anywhere, not listed in any of the 3 people’s sites listing their studies who conducted and contributed to it, not anything anywhere. The whole article has vague links and I could put a story like this together vaguely referencing things with no hard evidence and post to NSG and I’d expect more scrutiny from the link nazis.

..in fact..

..I’m going to rework my Shagging Birds thread..

Your nose for this may be better than mine. I haven't gone that deep into it, just clicked into a few of the links listed

For an April fools story I would expect a April 1 byline, not March 31.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:17 am

Ethel mermania wrote:For an April fools story I would expect a April 1 byline, not March 31.

It was April 1st in Australia I think
Whoever said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" has clearly never drown a horse.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:32 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Ok. I remember having a "discussion" with somebody here. Thought it was you. Ignore the comment.

It was him,

Ohhhh. I thought it was him. Why fib about it? Oh well....Thanks.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 pm

Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:For an April fools story I would expect a April 1 byline, not March 31.

It was April 1st in Australia I think

Mon 1 Apr 2019 00.01 BST

That's on the byline.. anyway, they had another article that was about Brexit and having Bob Geldof sing Heal the Nation etc., as their April Fool's article so I guess not this one.. but I still find it very fishy.

Very fishy indeed.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General