NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] International Anti-Doping Agency

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Novella Islands
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 26, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

[Draft] International Anti-Doping Agency

Postby Novella Islands » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:40 am

This is a draft resolution to the General Assembly on the establishment of an International Anti-Doping Agency, in order to protect athletes and society from the dangers of a performance-enhancing drug arms race - whilst still acknowledging the autonomy of an individual nation to allow the sale, use, and promotion of drugs on the whole. Please feel free to provide constructive criticism, suggestions, and commendations!

Changelog

V0 -> V1
  • Corrected Strength/AoE misunderstanding,
  • Established Section 2, moved all subsequent sections down,
  • Removed references to 'human',
  • Somewhat clarified Section 3c,
  • Adjusted Section 4, 'strongly encourages' to 'mandates',
  • Removed some hyphens in Section 4c.

Draft V1
International Anti-Doping Agency

Category: Health
Area of Effect: Research

The World Assembly,

Recognising the right of each member nation to institute individual laws on recreational, performance-enhancing, and other drugs within their own sphere of influence,

Conscious that biochemical science may create drugs with beneficial or otherwise harmless side effects, without the intent of their use for their performance-enhancing properties,

Aware of the risk posed, both to individuals and society, by the biochemical and sports science arms race that strives to increase performance in sporting athletes' times, distances, and other measurable metrics,

Acknowledging the calls from athletes, sporting bodies, and health institutions globally for international and domestic sporting events to be, or have segmented events that are, performance-enhancing drug-free,

Recognising the need for a body to mandate standardisation of testing for, and prevention of, the use of performance-enhancing drugs, hereby:

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, performance-enhancing drugs as chemical substances that objectively improve the measurable athletic ability of sporting athletes, or are intended to do so,

2. Excludes from Section 1 all chemical substances that are essential to life, provided they are administered, and thusly registerable through testing, in quantities that are expected to be found in a normal healthy individual,

3. Establishes the International Anti-Doping Agency (hereafter, IADA), with the mission to:
  1. Working with the World Health Authority (hereafter, WHA), develop methods of testing athletes for performance-enhancing drugs that are accurate, timely, and as non-intrusive as possible,
  2. Conduct empirically-justified research into performance-enhancing drugs and their effects on the body,
  3. Construct logistical frameworks for individual nations to model anti-doping programs, and performance-enhancing drug-free sporting events,
  4. Provide impartial agents to assist in the administration of anti-doping at international events which declare themselves drug-free;

4. Mandates individual nations:
  1. Create agencies to work in parallel with the IADA, in furthering each of its aims,
  2. Assist the WHA and the IADA in their empirical research efforts,
  3. Promote events with restrictions on performance-enhancing drugs, conducted both on a national, and international stage.

Draft V0
A resolution to protect athletes and promote awareness of the risks posed by performance-enhancing drugs.

Category: Healthcare
Strength: Mild

The World Assembly,

Recognising the right of each member nation to institute individual laws on recreational, performance-enhancing, and other drugs within their own sphere of influence,

Conscious that biochemical science may create drugs with beneficial or otherwise harmless side effects, without the intent of their use for their performance-enhancing properties,

Aware of the risk posed, both to individuals and society, by the biochemical and sports science arms race that strives to increase performance in sporting athletes' times, distances, and other measurable metrics,

Acknowledging the calls from athletes, sporting bodies, and health institutions globally for international and domestic sporting events to be, or have segmented events that are, performance-enhancing drug-free,

Recognising the need for a body to mandate standardisation of testing for, and prevention of, the use of performance-enhancing drugs, hereby:

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, performance-enhancing drugs as chemical substances that objectively improve the measurable athletic ability of sporting athletes, or are intended to do so,

2. Establishes the International Anti-Doping Agency (hereafter, IADA), with the mission to:
  1. Working with the World Health Authority (hereafter, WHA), develop methods of testing athletes for performance-enhancing drugs that are accurate, timely, and as non-intrusive as possible,
  2. Conduct empirically-justified research into performance-enhancing drugs and their effects on the human body,
  3. Construct frameworks for individual nations to model anti-doping programs, and performance-enhancing drug-free sporting events,
  4. Provide impartial agents to assist in the administration of anti-doping at international events which declare themselves drug-free;

3. Strongly encourages individual nations to:
  1. Create agencies to work in parallel with the IADA, in furthering each of its aims,
  3. Promote performance-enhancing drug-free events, conducted both on a national, and international stage.

Last edited by Novella Islands on Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hatzisland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatzisland » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:05 am

Well, firstly, "A resolution to protect athletes and promote awareness of the risks posed by performance-enhancing drugs." doesn't exist if my memory is correct. Other than a potential category illegality, we see no clear illegality in the proposal. As for support, come back to us later.
"The world dies when freedom dies"
-A wise man(me)
Dedicated to repealing GAR #286 and GAR #457, as well as fighting the radical globalists in the WA.
Currently Inoffensive Centrist Democracy, which goes to show how flawed the naming system is.
Passed Biology knowing there are two genders, and passed History knowing conservatism works.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:08 am

OOC: This seems alright to me, support.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:53 am

“I’ve put some feedback in red.”
A resolution to protect athletes and promote awareness of the risks posed by performance-enhancing drugs. This is put in place automatically when a proposal is put forth for the consideration of delegations, not something you as an either adds.

Category: Healthcare
Strength: Mild The ‘health’ category has AoEs, not strengths. ‘Health - Healthcare’ is correct, not ‘Healthcare - Mild’.

The World Assembly,

Recognising the right of each member nation to institute individual laws on recreational, performance-enhancing, and other drugs within their own sphere of influence, So then why are you legislating? This seems like a self-defeating clause.

Conscious that biochemical science may create drugs with beneficial or otherwise harmless side effects, without the intent of their use for their performance-enhancing properties, Once again, you seem only to be providing reasons not to be regulating biochemistry.

Aware of the risk posed, both to individuals and society, by the biochemical and sports science arms race that strives to increase performance in sporting athletes' times, distances, and other measurable metrics, What risks? Be explicit.

Acknowledging the calls from athletes, sporting bodies, and health institutions globally for international and domestic sporting events to be, or have segmented events that are, performance-enhancing drug-free, What calls? I haven’t been aware of any calls in Kenmoria, with some sports teams being sponsored by drug brands.

Recognising the need for a body to mandate standardisation of testing for, and prevention of, the use of performance-enhancing drugs, hereby: Why is there a need?

1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, performance-enhancing drugs as chemical substances that objectively improve the measurable athletic ability of sporting athletes, or are intended to do so, This includes water, a chemical substance which objectively enhances someone’s playing by not having them faint from dehydration,

2. Establishes the International Anti-Doping Agency (hereafter, IADA), with the mission to:
  1. Working with the World Health Authority (hereafter, WHA), develop methods of testing athletes for performance-enhancing drugs that are accurate, timely, and as non-intrusive as possible, Why wouldn’t this already exist? In fact, I’m fairly certain a lot of member nations already have these technologies.
  2. Conduct empirically-justified research into performance-enhancing drugs and their effects on the human body, ‘Human’ is a bad word in this assembly, since there are many species here other than humanity. Try to reduce anthropocentric language.
  3. Construct frameworks for individual nations to model anti-doping programs, and performance-enhancing drug-free sporting events, What does constructing frameworks actually entail?

3. Strongly encourages individual nations to:
  3. Promote performance-enhancing drug-free events, conducted both on a national, and international stage. There are too many hyphens in that phrase for my looking, so I suggest trying to reduce them.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:41 pm

OOC: Given that AoEs are considered to be signifigant strength at minimum, I don't think "strongly encourages" is strong enough as the only clauses where nations are instructed to do something. Also, how does this raise healthcare spending? Drug testing athletes is separate from athlete healthcare at least in RL.

EDIT: If the pro-drug proposals floating around are considered Civil Rights ones, then wouldn't an anti-drug one go into Moral Decency?
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:46 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Given that AoEs are considered to be signifigant strength at minimum, I don't think "strongly encourages" is strong enough as the only clauses where nations are instructed to do something. Also, how does this raise healthcare spending? Drug testing athletes is separate from athlete healthcare at least in RL.

EDIT: If the pro-drug proposals floating around are considered Civil Rights ones, then wouldn't an anti-drug one go into Moral Decency?
OOC
Agreed on the first point; Category could be argued either as Moral Decency or (with the current wording) as 'Health: Research'.[one-sixth of GenSec]
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Novella Islands
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 26, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Novella Islands » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Kenmoria wrote:This is put in place automatically when a proposal is put forth for the consideration of delegations, not something you as an either adds.

Thank you, this has been removed.

The ‘health’ category has AoEs, not strengths. ‘Health - Healthcare’ is correct, not ‘Healthcare - Mild’.

Corrected, as per above.

So then why are you legislating? This seems like a self-defeating clause.

I believe that it is important to note that nations have the ability to legislate that drugs are not illegal - however, some athletes may desire events where drugs are not a component of play.

Once again, you seem only to be providing reasons not to be regulating biochemistry.

Again, I believe it is important to comment scientists for their efforts, and not individually target them as hostile beings, was the intention of this line. Any suggestions you could offer for how to better convey those last two points, would be greatly appreciated.

What risks? Be explicit.

I will consider how to best convey this in formal language.

What calls? I haven’t been aware of any calls in Kenmoria, with some sports teams being sponsored by drug brands.

And yet this is a heavily politically defining issue in the Novella Islands. This is not suggesting calls are made unanimously, just that there are calls being made, and this being the driving force for this piece of legislation.

Why is there a need?

To protect athletes - need this be suggested again? If so, that can be edited in.

This includes water, a chemical substance which objectively enhances someone’s playing by not having them faint from dehydration,

A very good point! I have corrected this issue.

Why wouldn’t this already exist? In fact, I’m fairly certain a lot of member nations already have these technologies.

Of course. But under the IADA, further development of testing (and rolling out of current testing methods) could be done much more efficiently.

‘Human’ is a bad word in this assembly, since there are many species here other than humanity. Try to reduce anthropocentric language.

My apologies for my ignorance, this has been corrected.

What does constructing frameworks actually entail?

I am unsure how I can make this point clearer, as I do not entirely see it as an issue (although I am accepting that Kenmoria does!). I have included the word 'logistical', although this seems like a very small bandaid at best. Advice that you may be able to provide would be greatly beneficial.

There are too many hyphens in that phrase for my looking, so I suggest trying to reduce them.

This line has been adjusted to correct this issue.

Thank you for all of your recommendations, they have been applied in the first revision, now in the OP. I look forward to continued discussion!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:11 am

Novella Islands wrote:
What does constructing frameworks actually entail?

I am unsure how I can make this point clearer, as I do not entirely see it as an issue

OOC: The issue is that "framework" can be anything. A nation that didn't entirely want to comply with this, might literally construct a framework on some empty lot and say "done", unless you specify what you mean. Also, when used metaphorically, it's usually "framework of [something]" or "framework for [something]". The way the clause currently reads, it very much looks like the wrong choice of word entirely (adding logistical to it made it just look more wrong). It's not really a framework if you're setting up something as an example.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:29 pm

Novella Islands wrote:Of course. But under the IADA, further development of testing (and rolling out of current testing methods) could be done much more efficiently.

(OOC: To me ‘develop’ sounds like ‘invent’, in that it implies the creation of things not already existing. Perhaps ‘develop and improve’ instead?)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:04 am

Novella Islands wrote:4. Mandates individual nations:
c. Promote events with restrictions on performance-enhancing drugs, conducted both on a national, and international stage.

OOC: This is currently the only thing for member nations to do that isn't directly connected to the committee, and it still doesn't look strong enough (mandating promoting is same as promoting, which is still pretty much optional, similarly to mandating encouraging would still only be encouraging) to be used in AoE.

Why do you need the committee at all, by the way? Shouldn't the nations be the ones to ensure their people are drug free? At most I can see the use for a committee to collect the national test results and to re-test an athlete if and only if there's an official complaint made about them using a forbidden substance to enhance their performance.

You'll also want to add to clause 2's excemption legal medications prescribed by a doctor that's unaffiliated with the sport and does not profit from the athlete's success.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:34 am

“You have included medicines vital for some individual’s health under your definition of performance-enhancing drugs. To use an example found commonly in Kenmoria, asthmatics must take ventolin to be at the level of other competitions, a clear boost in performance, for reasons that are not vital to life in general. I suggest specifically excluding pharmaceuticals taken under the advice of a doctor.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly