NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Handle With Scare

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[DRAFT] Handle With Scare

Postby Socio Polor » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:36 pm

Inspiration behind this issue.

Title: @@name@@ Got Horror

Description: Extreme haunted houses have become a thrill-seekers joy ride throughout @@name@@. However, when multiple reports come in of people experiencing heart attacks, physical injuries, mental impairment, and even death through these amusement tours, moral principles come into question.

Validity: N/A

Option 1: “Woah there bro!" shouts @@randommalename@@, a famous Whotuber known for his wacky daredevil stunts. "No one has the right to tell me what's good. My life, my way of living it. If anything there should be more support and understanding of what we do, that's the problem," he contends while doing his famous one-handed wheelie across your office. "Why don't we run a tv series on extreme haunted houses with me as host? We'll call it, '@@name@@s Got Horror!'"
Effect: "Don't Try This At Home" warnings fall on deaf ears

Option 2: “A TV series? What so our kids can copy what they see and wind up in the ER?” questions @@randomname@@, a horror enthusiast. “I like thrills as much as the next guy but dying over it, getting beaten and forced to consume undrinkable liquids like @@animal@@ urine pushes the boundary. Torture houses are what they are and must be shut down accordingly.”
Effect: thrill-seekers stand over skyscrapers for delectation

Option 3: “I agree this is insane, but with so many people waiting to get into these places, it wouldn’t be right to shut them down,” reasons @@randomname@@, former owner of the park shutdown across from your office. “As long as these places have ‘safe words’ entrants can use to quit, I see no reason to pull the plug here.”
Effect: extreme haunted house "safewords" are inaudible in all the screams

Option 4: "None of y'all truly comprehend how dangerous this is," comments @@randomname@@ who was injured from a carousel. "Amusement my behind! There's nothin' amusin' 'bout fallin' off a pony and breakin' your tailbone! Think of the youth and BURN ALL AMUSEMENT PARKS, EXTREME OR NOT, TO THE FUC-to the ground, just... do it."
Effect: angry mobs have to be yay tall to burn the ultimate coaster

Title: Handle With Scare

Description: In @@name@@, extreme haunted houses offer exhilarating, terrifying experiences for daring thrill-seekers. However, when reports come in with people experiencing heart attacks, physical injuries, as well as immutable trauma because they went on these amusement tours, it brings up questions regarding their ethicality and if they should remain legal.

Option 1: "Whoa there, bro!" says @@randommalename@@, a well-known daredevil in @@name@@. "I don't know what you guys are talking about, but my life is mine, and that's how it should be." he continues on his moped, performing a one-handed wheelie across your office floor whilst popping a sick no-scoper on your intern, Jeff. "If I want to go explore some spooky mansion and get my adrenaline pumping then I should be able to without some government telling me what's best for me. In fact, why not permit us to raise the stakes even higher? Whoever doesn't make it through the tour on time loses not only their dignity but their life. As long as they agree to pay the ultimate price, I see no trouble. EXTREME FOR LIFE BABY!!"
Effect: "death by haunted house" is a new suicide method

Option 2: "RIGHT ON DUUUDEEEE!" shouts your Secretary of Safety, @@randomname@@, nearly giving you your own heart attack. @@he@@ quickly turns from you, composing himself, and turns back to face you, "Excuse me, @@leader@@, I don't know what came over me there." @@he@@ clears @@his@@ throat before proceeding, "As we've heard from the incident reports and read from the profile of these so-called 'Extreme Haunted Houses,' it's overtly clear these torture facilities need to be shut down. I mean, have you actually read the profile of these places? They callously subject their guests to being beaten, sensory deprived, drinking waste, and worst of all allegations of sexual assault. What's more, the staff do it all for fun! It's just sick."
Effect: extreme haunted house ban leads to "heart-stopping" fun at home

Option 3: The head of one of the extreme haunted houses in question marches into your office suspiciously wearing a butcher's uniform. He approaches you and places a piece of paper with a mysterious red stain on the top corner of it on your desk. "You see this? It's a contract, a formal legal document that everyone who signs up for the experience of a lifetime these houses provide must sign giving permission for my staff to do with them as they deem fit. My guests are essentially waiving their right to sue or any liability we have if something were to happen. However, I'm more than willing to ease up the extreme-scale by allowing guests to use a safe word to drop out or install further regulations, such as maybe a safety monitor in case things get out of hand. Oh, and don't worry about the red stain," he assures. "It's just ketchup." He lifts up his apron, revealing a hidden stash of ketchup packets. "I always come prepared," he winks.
Effect: safe words are indistinct from the screams of joy

Option 4: "Say @@leader@@, you wanna know how you could use this situation to your benefit?" asks @@randomname@@, a budding game show host. "I see great potential in making these extreme haunted houses or what have you into thriving and entertaining game show studios. Just think, the crowds cheering, people coming from all across @@region@@ to watch '@@name@@'s Got Horror!' Has a bit of a ring to it don't you think? All we need is a bit of funding, maybe a clown or two, and you got yourself quite the money grab."
Effect: game shows are dubbed as snuff films
Last edited by Socio Polor on Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 31 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:21 am

YOu should specify that this is too extreme
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:42 am

Australian rePublic wrote:YOu should specify that this is too extreme

What do you mean?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Socio Polor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:YOu should specify that this is too extreme

What do you mean?

Say that haunted houses are taken too far
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:00 pm

Issues are supposed to be balanced, so you don't want to be telling players the haunted houses are going too far. You want to be asking if they are going too far.

That said, it would be nice if you could communicate more clearly what is going on in these haunted houses -- i.e. the sort of violence they are inflicting intentionally, even when nothing goes wrong -- so that even if this is a player's first encounter with the concept of extreme haunted houses, they still understand the issue.

Extreme haunted houses are interesting to me, so I hope you will do this justice.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:13 pm

USS Monitor wrote:That said, it would be nice if you could communicate more clearly what is going on in these haunted houses -- i.e. the sort of violence they are inflicting intentionally, even when nothing goes wrong -- so that even if this is a player's first encounter with the concept of extreme haunted houses, they still understand the issue.

Hmm, I'll see what I can do, thanks.

USS Monitor wrote:Extreme haunted houses are interesting to me, so I hope you will do this justice.

Justice is the name of my leader so I sure hope so :p

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:00 am

Updated!

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:16 pm

Another Long Overdue bump!

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Option one reads like another dismiss button; it needs to suggest something more concrete.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Decent premise.

I agree option 1 feels like a dismiss button and needs to be proactive. Also, option 2 needs to propose a course of action, not just say it's unethical.

Effect lines 2 and 3 are in the wrong "direction" for the options.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:27 pm

The draft has been updated. I decided to add another option because I felt this issue could use that extra touch
Last edited by Socio Polor on Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:10 pm

Title: House of Terror

See if you can get a joke or pun into the title.

Description: Extreme haunted houses have become a thrill-seekers joy ride throughout @@name@@. However, when multiple reports come in of people experiencing heart attacks, physical injuries, mental impairments, and even death through these amusement tours, many have started to question the morality of them.

Explain what "extreme haunted houses" are, I think.

Validity: N/A

Option 1: “Wow! you should try that, I literally saw my life flash before my eyes in there,” states @@randomname@@, a famous Whotuber who posts daredevil stunts. "Extreme haunted houses are misunderstood, what we need to do is spread advocacy, maybe holding a tournament or two to show what we do is a passion and not just an unchecked adrenaline high."

Somewhat incoherent. Maybe reread the English, and make it make more sense. What is "that" in the first sentence? What is spreading advocacy? What is a tournament in this context?

Effect: extreme haunted houses are criticized more than @@leader@@

This line doesn't work well. It's the wrong sort of phrasing for an effect line.

Option 2: “Adrenaline Junkies belong home so they won’t hurt themselves,” states @@randomname@@, a horror enthusiast. “I like thrills as much as the next guy but dying over it, getting beaten and forced to drink inedible liquids like @@animal@@ urine pushes the boundary. These torture houses are no good for @@name@@ and must be closed down!”

Liquids can't be inedible, but can be undrinkable.

Effect: thrill-seekers stand over skyscrapers for delectation

English isn't your first language, I'm guessing. Your effect lines have that "Google Translate" sort of feel to them.

Option 3: “I agree this is insane, but with so many people waiting to get into these places, it wouldn’t be right to shut them down,” reasons @@randomname@@, owner of an abandoned park across your office. “As long as these places have ‘safe words’ entrants can use to quit, I see no reason to pull the plug here.”
Effect: safewords are inaudible in the mix of screams

Effect line won't make sense out of the issue context, when seen on a front page.

Option 4: "None of y'all truly comprehend how dangerous this is," comments @@randomname@@ who was injured from a carousel. "Amusement my behind! There's nothing amusing about falling off a pony and breaking your tailbone! Think of the youth and burn all amusement parks, extreme or not to the FUC-to the ground, just...do it."
Effect: angry mobs have to be yay tall to burn the ultimate coaster

I see you're trying to capture colloquial speech with this speaker and the effect line, but it doesn't work well. I suggest bringing it back closer to conventional written English.

Right now there's a decent issue concept here, but let down by low quality English.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:42 pm

See if you can get a joke or pun into the title.

Yeah, I've been thinking about changing the title to something a little more creative, I'll see if I can come up with something.
Explain what "extreme haunted houses" are, I think.

I'll see if I can add more detail here, however, for brevity sake I don't want the description to be overly long as a result of having to explain just what exactly is an "extreme haunted house." It's something I'll definitely consider and see what I can do, but I'm also holding caution against the wind here.
Somewhat incoherent. Maybe reread the English, and make it make more sense. What is "that" in the first sentence? What is spreading advocacy? What is a tournament in this context?

You have a point, I'll make the proper arrangements here.
This line doesn't work well. It's the wrong sort of phrasing for an effect line.

Hmm, ok, I'll change it

Inedible liquids can be gasoline, venom, cyanide, etc. All of these can also be considered undrinkable. I fail to see the difference
Effect line won't make sense out of the issue context, when seen on a front page.

What do you mean?

I see you're trying to capture colloquial speech with this speaker and the effect line, but it doesn't work well. I suggest bringing it back closer to conventional written English.

Right now there's a decent issue concept here, but let down by low quality English.

To be honest I wasn't even trying to be informal here, it just turned out that way a bit. I'll try to revise.

Thanks CWA, your assistance as always is greatly appreciated! :)

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:27 pm

English isn't your first language, I'm guessing. Your effect lines have that "Google Translate" sort of feel to them.

can't believe I missed this. :lol: But English is my native language. In fact it's the only language I'm fluent in. I guess it's just the way I write issues. Is it my grammar choice or the sentence flow that gives it that feel?
Last edited by Socio Polor on Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Socio Polor wrote:

Inedible liquids can be gasoline, venom, cyanide, etc. All of these can also be considered undrinkable. I fail to see the difference

The difference is how well the adjective matches the noun it describes. You wouldn't describe a really bad cheeseburger as being "undrinkable." This is the same idea, but going the other way.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:57 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:

The difference is how well the adjective matches the noun it describes. You wouldn't describe a really bad cheeseburger as being "undrinkable." This is the same idea, but going the other way.

*Totally didn't just google the definition of "Inedible" and totally didn't just hit my head on my keyboard*
...ok...well...so much for me being a "native English speaker." Thanks Monitor and CWA for pointing this out to me
Last edited by Socio Polor on Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:34 pm

For the title, wait about something that is a play on little shop of horrors?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:10 am

On an additional note, it may be worth pointing out here that there's various chemicals referred to as "cyanide", some of which are liquid at room temperature, others are solid or gaseous. And "venom" refers to poisonous substances secreted by animals and injected into other animals, typically by bite or sting. If you're talking about stuff that is toxic to ingest, then you mean poison, which of course is not a single substance, and could be something that is eaten, drunk or otherwise taken into the body. Regardless, it would be colloquially odd to acontextually refer to an inedible poison in the same way it would be odd to acontextually refer to a female woman. You'd need some framing around that phrase to explain why you're using it in the first place.

Complex thing, English.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:39 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:On an additional note, it may be worth pointing out here that there's various chemicals referred to as "cyanide", some of which are liquid at room temperature, others are solid or gaseous. And "venom" refers to poisonous substances secreted by animals and injected into other animals, typically by bite or sting. If you're talking about stuff that is toxic to ingest, then you mean poison, which of course is not a single substance, and could be something that is eaten, drunk or otherwise taken into the body. Regardless, it would be colloquially odd to acontextually refer to an inedible poison in the same way it would be odd to acontextually refer to a female woman. You'd need some framing around that phrase to explain why you're using it in the first place.

Complex thing, English.

Absolutely! Trust me when I tell you CWA I know all about the various forms of cyanide, the difference between poison and venom, etc; but thanks for pointing it out nonetheless :)

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:42 pm

Updated! I decided to alter the last sentence of the description a bit, I reworded the first option and its effect line completely, changed the wording of the second option a bit and for the last option gave the character a southern American accent because I felt it'd be more appropriate and would go with the effect line more.

Edit: Also I just decided to change the title from "House of Terror" to "Got Horror?" sound good?
Edit #2: I just remembered, I submitted an issue titled "Got Metal" :P though I'm not sure if that issue was accepted so I'll keep this title for now
Last edited by Socio Polor on Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:33 pm

Bumpty Bump

Lelscrep
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lelscrep » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:45 pm

It's looking really good to be honest. Only thing I could find is I believe there needs to be a space after the ellipses in option four.
Seventh(?) time not dead nation.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:31 pm

Lelscrep wrote:It's looking really good to be honest. Only thing I could find is I believe there needs to be a space after the ellipses in option four.

Got it, thanks! I also changed the title of my issue in reference to America's/Britain's/Asia Got Talent Shows

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:57 pm

Last Call for this issue

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:20 pm

Socio Polor wrote:Last Call for this issue

Looking at this, the first option is concerning to me. Is there an issue that bans TV's? If so I'll have to change that
Last edited by Socio Polor on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?