NATION

PASSWORD

Gunman Opens Fire in Holland

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Lanorth
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Gunman Opens Fire in Holland

Postby Lanorth » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:58 am

A man has been arrested following a shooting in the Dutch city of Utrecht which left three people dead, police say.
Five others were injured in the incident, which the authorities say appears to be a terrorist attack.
Police earlier said they were hunting Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish man, in connection with the shooting.
Schools were closed and security was increased while counter-terrorism police worked to locate the suspect.
It is not yet clear where the man was arrested.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte earlier said the country had been "jolted by an attack", which he described as "deeply disturbing".

"We cannot exclude a terrorist motive," Dutch anti-terrorism co-ordinator Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg told a news conference on Monday.
The tram attack happened at about 10:45 local time (09:45 GMT). One witness told local media that "a man started shooting wildly".
Another witness told Dutch public broadcaster NOS that he had helped an injured woman after the tram came to a stop.
"I looked behind me and saw someone lying there behind the tram," he said. "People got out of their cars... and they started to lift her up.
"I helped to pull her out and then I saw a gunman run towards us, with his gun raised," he said. "I heard people yell 'Shooter! Shooter!' and I started to run."

Counter-terrorism police earlier surrounded a house near the 24 Oktoberplein junction, where the tram attack took place.
A local businessman told BBC Turkish that Gokmen Tanis had previously fought in Russia's republic of Chechnya.
Jihadist groups, including those aligned with the Islamic State (IS) group, have long operated in the region.

Meanwhile, the threat level has been temporarily raised to its highest point in the province of Utrecht and extended until 21:00 GMT.

Utrecht University has closed all of its buildings and trains are not allowed to run into the city's central station.
Paramilitary police have been sent to airports and mosques amid increased security concerns.
Utrecht, the Netherlands' fourth largest city, has a population of about 340,000.
Crime levels are low and gun killings are rare, which is the case for much of the country.
Source
Last edited by Lanorth on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
i give up with this signature smh

Saskovia
Attaché

Founded: Apr 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Saskovia » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:00 am

Lanorth wrote:A man has been arrested following a shooting in the Dutch city of Utrecht which left three people dead, police say.
Five others were injured in the incident, which the authorities say appears to be a terrorist attack.
Police earlier said they were hunting Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish man, in connection with the shooting.
Schools were closed and security was increased while counter-terrorism police worked to locate the suspect.
It is not yet clear where the man was arrested.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte earlier said the country had been "jolted by an attack", which he described as "deeply disturbing".

"We cannot exclude a terrorist motive," Dutch anti-terrorism co-ordinator Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg told a news conference on Monday.
The tram attack happened at about 10:45 local time (09:45 GMT). One witness told local media that "a man started shooting wildly".
Another witness told Dutch public broadcaster NOS that he had helped an injured woman after the tram came to a stop.
"I looked behind me and saw someone lying there behind the tram," he said. "People got out of their cars... and they started to lift her up.
"I helped to pull her out and then I saw a gunman run towards us, with his gun raised," he said. "I heard people yell 'Shooter! Shooter!' and I started to run."

Counter-terrorism police earlier surrounded a house near the 24 Oktoberplein junction, where the tram attack took place.
A local businessman told BBC Turkish that Gokmen Tanis had previously fought in Russia's republic of Chechnya.
Jihadist groups, including those aligned with the Islamic State (IS) group, have long operated in the region.

Meanwhile, the threat level has been temporarily raised to its highest point in the province of Utrecht and extended until 21:00 GMT.

Utrecht University has closed all of its buildings and trains are not allowed to run into the city's central station.
Paramilitary police have been sent to airports and mosques amid increased security concerns.
Utrecht, the Netherlands' fourth largest city, has a population of about 340,000.
Crime levels are low and gun killings are rare, which is the case for much of the country.
Source

And just when we had the New Zealand shooting. Prayers and thoughts go to victims and families in Utrecht, The Netherlands.
Nazřodirespúblyka Saškovoja
Official Name: The People's Republic of Saskovia
Capital: Žermoni Gory
Official Language: ježyk saškovoju
Population: 6,775,800
President: Jostan Decić
Religion: Orthodox Christianity

hi

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:00 am

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=461552

Already a thread for this OP
العرب الأحرار
I don't use NS Stats, for they are against the will of Liberty and God.

News
Open to TGs

Lanorth
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Lanorth » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:14 am

Free Arabian Nation wrote:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=461552

Already a thread for this OP

Ah, I see. Well. Just class this thread as dead. Wait for the mods to lock it.
Last edited by Lanorth on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
i give up with this signature smh

Return to General