NATION

PASSWORD

Violence In The Third World

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Sapientia Et Bellum
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Violence In The Third World

Postby Sapientia Et Bellum » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:04 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... a43bfd5c89

The above Washington Post article, which lists violent attacks on houses of worship since about 2010, got me thinking about an interesting question concerning violence in what is typically classified as the third world. A vast majority of the attacks, some with fatalities larger than the recent shooting New Zealand, have occurred within Middle Eastern nations. This includes an attack in August of 2017 where a gunman/suicide bomber stormed a Shiite Mosque in the Heret region of Afghanistan resulting in the deaths of around 90 worshippers. The attack was carried out during evening prayers. The difference is that the media in the west did very little cover this event through its more popular mediums despite the much larger death toll. The story is the same for countless other attacks that occur in third world nations. So the question I pose to NSG is why do we, as in the west, not cover (or mourn) mass killings in the third world to the same degree as we do in the first world and should we cover/mourn mass killings in the third world more or less?
Last edited by Sapientia Et Bellum on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Il Duce Gianfranco Fini
"We are fascists, the heirs of fascism, the fascism of the year 2000" - Il Duce Gianfranco Fini

Economics Major (My ideals swing wildly between the parties occasionally due to my current education), Pro Interventionism, Pro NATO, Anti UN, Capitalist, Anti Russia, Anti China (Tariffs are still dumb though), and pro libertarian equality
In The Long Run, We Are All Dead

The Guardians of the Rhine
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Guardians of the Rhine » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:06 pm

Because either we,

A. Don't know
B. Don't care

Well, at least our leaders.

The only third world genocide I actually know a decent amount about are the Rwandan Genocide and the Ethiopian Famine. I can't speak for others, but it's actually mostly A for me.
One of the last few survivors of RHINIA and Ealdgeriht that wants the Rhinian Phoenix to rise from its ashes and reclaim its Ancient Right.

We are the last bastion who remembers what RHINIA, Ealdgeriht, and Westphalia were. We will not let what happened to them happen here. We are the Watch on the Rhine.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/a-look-at-attacks-on-houses-of-worship-over-last-decade/2019/03/15/76ca17b2-46f5-11e9-94ab-d2dda3c0df52_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2fa43bfd5c89

The above Washington Post article, which lists violent attacks on houses of worship since about 2010, got me thinking about an interesting question concerning violence in what is typically classified as the third world. A vast majority of the attacks, some with fatalities larger than the recent shooting New Zealand, have occurred within Middle Eastern nations. This includes an attack in August of 2017 where a gunman/suicide bomber stormed a Shiite Mosque in the Heret region of Afghanistan resulting in the deaths of around 90 worshippers. The attack was carried out during evening prayers. The difference is that the media in the west did very little cover this event through its more popular mediums. The story is the same for countless other attacks that occur in third world nations. So the question I pose to NSG is why do we, as in the west, not cover (or mourn) mass killings in the third world to the same degree as we do in the first world and should we cover/mourn mass killings in the third world more or less?

Because things like these are normal in places like Afghanistan. It’s sad, I know, but if the media covers every single incident in the third world in depth, they would have something new to cover every week that doesn’t relate to the vast majority of their viewers. The NZ shooting is extremely shocking, as NZ is considered one of the safest countries on Earth.
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

The Underground Movement Union
Senator

Founded: Mar 07, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Underground Movement Union » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:07 pm

I think that the reason why the media doesn't carry out as many articles regarding terror attacks in the Third World as opposed to that of in Western or First World countries is because they don't happen as often in the West, and so when it does happen it's an absolute shock and easier to notice. In the Third World however, it happens far more frequently particularly in war torn nations or nations where there are more powerful terror cells.
Last edited by The Underground Movement Union on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sapientia Et Bellum
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sapientia Et Bellum » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:11 pm

But is it ethically right for the media to put the deaths of those in the first world above those in the third world just because of shock value and relatability?
Il Duce Gianfranco Fini
"We are fascists, the heirs of fascism, the fascism of the year 2000" - Il Duce Gianfranco Fini

Economics Major (My ideals swing wildly between the parties occasionally due to my current education), Pro Interventionism, Pro NATO, Anti UN, Capitalist, Anti Russia, Anti China (Tariffs are still dumb though), and pro libertarian equality

The Guardians of the Rhine
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Guardians of the Rhine » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:11 pm

The Underground Movement Union wrote:I think that the reason why the media doesn't carry out as many articles regarding terror attacks in the Third World as opposed to that of in Western or First World countries is because they don't happen as often in the West, and so when it does happen it's an absolute shock and easier to notice. In the Third World however, it happens far more frequently particularly in war torn nations or nations where there are more powerful terror cells.

Plus, don't forget countries like Chad, Afghanistan, Syria, or many other third world countries in an open period of civil war, especially if religious (as in Iraq).
One of the last few survivors of RHINIA and Ealdgeriht that wants the Rhinian Phoenix to rise from its ashes and reclaim its Ancient Right.

We are the last bastion who remembers what RHINIA, Ealdgeriht, and Westphalia were. We will not let what happened to them happen here. We are the Watch on the Rhine.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/a-look-at-attacks-on-houses-of-worship-over-last-decade/2019/03/15/76ca17b2-46f5-11e9-94ab-d2dda3c0df52_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2fa43bfd5c89

The above Washington Post article, which lists violent attacks on houses of worship since about 2010, got me thinking about an interesting question concerning violence in what is typically classified as the third world. A vast majority of the attacks, some with fatalities larger than the recent shooting New Zealand, have occurred within Middle Eastern nations. This includes an attack in August of 2017 where a gunman/suicide bomber stormed a Shiite Mosque in the Heret region of Afghanistan resulting in the deaths of around 90 worshippers. The attack was carried out during evening prayers. The difference is that the media in the west did very little cover this event through its more popular mediums despite the much larger death toll. The story is the same for countless other attacks that occur in third world nations. So the question I pose to NSG is why do we, as in the west, not cover (or mourn) mass killings in the third world to the same degree as we do in the first world and should we cover/mourn mass killings in the third world more or less?

There are parts of the third world where violence, torture, and death are the norm. It would be impractical to morn every injustice or mass murder that occurs in the world, as they commonly occur, and we in the west have our own problems.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senator

Postby The Underground Movement Union » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 pm

The Guardians of the Rhine wrote:
The Underground Movement Union wrote:I think that the reason why the media doesn't carry out as many articles regarding terror attacks in the Third World as opposed to that of in Western or First World countries is because they don't happen as often in the West, and so when it does happen it's an absolute shock and easier to notice. In the Third World however, it happens far more frequently particularly in war torn nations or nations where there are more powerful terror cells.

Plus, don't forget countries like Chad, Afghanistan, Syria, or many other third world countries in an open period of civil war, especially if religious (as in Iraq).

Yeah, that's generally what I'm saying; because they're war torn, they are objectively going to happen so often we cannot keep track of all of them.

Senator

Postby The Underground Movement Union » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:But is it ethically right for the media to put the deaths of those in the first world above those in the third world just because of shock value and relatability?

I don't think it has much to do with relatability as much as it does with just how easy it is to pick them out. I do, however believe it is unethical for the media to just all jump on forcusing on isolated incidents in the First World and ignore that of the Third World simply because it is difficult. I appreciate articles such as the Washington Post for taking the time to show that this just doesn't happen in the West and this does indeed happen in the Third World and much more frequently than we would like to imagine. I just wish the media would do more to emphasize this point that this just isn't exclusive to the First World and happens much more than any of us would like to dream imagines, especially with today and how polarized we all are. I'd say it would help with the political divide a bit as well for it would emphasize that it's not just the far right extremists, or just islamists, or just far left extremists that are capable of violence, and that violence doesn't have an ideology.

It would also help emphasize just how horrific war really is and just how far spread radicalism really is today.

Soviet Technocracy2
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Technocracy2 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:34 pm

The US probably has a hand in a lot of those deaths.

Yusseria
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Yusseria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:37 pm

When you take a shit in the bathroom no one cares. When you take a shit in the kitchen people start to notice.
Yusseria - The Prussia of NationStates
There is nothing wrong with Islamaphobia

Sapientia Et Bellum
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sapientia Et Bellum » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Soviet Technocracy2 wrote:The US probably has a hand in a lot of those deaths.

No? These are direct attacks by individuals against houses of worship
Il Duce Gianfranco Fini

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:47 pm

Well, for instance in Nigeria there is apparently an ongoing slaughter of Christians by an Islamic militant group in the past few weeks, and the death toll has been growing.

Of course nobody here knows about it.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/ ... haram.html

https://spectator.org/massacres-in-new- ... d-nigeria/
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:But is it ethically right for the media to put the deaths of those in the first world above those in the third world just because of shock value and relatability?

You'll notice that a lot of these places where these attacks happen are active warzones, or at least suffering from some sort of insurgency or internal stability. While the loss of life in places like Afghanistan or Iraq is tragic, we tend to frame it within the wider conflict and therefore don't see it as separate from that conflict.

Whereas New Zealand, France, the United Kingdom, Australia, and even the United States, terrorist attacks and especially high casualty attacks are almost unheard off, especially politically motivated ones. The attacks in France were significant for the scale at which they were committed, the United Kingdom, a country no stranger to domestic terrorism, suffered multiple attacks in a short space of time. Australia went through a prolonged siege, of course, New Zealand being safe and secure.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:09 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

You'll notice that a lot of these places where these attacks happen are active warzones, or at least suffering from some sort of insurgency or internal stability. While the loss of life in places like Afghanistan or Iraq is tragic, we tend to frame it within the wider conflict and therefore don't see it as separate from that conflict.

Whereas New Zealand, France, the United Kingdom, Australia, and even the United States, terrorist attacks and especially high casualty attacks are almost unheard off, especially politically motivated ones. The attacks in France were significant for the scale at which they were committed, the United Kingdom, a country no stranger to domestic terrorism, suffered multiple attacks in a short space of time. Australia went through a prolonged siege, of course, New Zealand being safe and secure.

Well, not so unheard of in France anymore.

How many attacks have they had at this point?
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:12 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

A few, but the scale of the Paris attacks was nothing like France had seen before.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:16 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

A few, but the scale of the Paris attacks was nothing like France had seen before.

They need another revolution so we can finally reset the clock.
Last edited by Digital Planets on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So you decide to open it anyway? What the heck, man?

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:24 pm

Digital Planets wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

It's not that simple this time.

Really, it's the fact that France has let a lot of people into its country that it probably shouldn't have, and now there's a culture clash that's left bodies on the floor.

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:25 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Digital Planets wrote:

It's not that simple this time.

Really, it's the fact that France has let a lot of people into its country that it probably shouldn't have, and now there's a culture clash that's left bodies on the floor.

Which is probably why Islam with be made the new state religion, because it's France and it'll be hilarious.

Maybe the Pope will call a crusade towards Paris?

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:35 pm

As most said here, it's unfortunately because of the frequencies that they happen in.

If you told someone that a bomb just exploded in Syria, they will take it as "C'est la vie" and probably move on after giving it a read.

If you told someone that Paris got attacked, it gets more attention since these types of terrorist attacks has never happened in Paris before (or very rarely).

All the events of violence and deaths are tragic, yes, but when it happens in a war-torn country, it became background noise; when it happens in a relatively more stable country, it gets all the attention since it's a rare occasion.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Valentine Z wrote:As most said here, it's unfortunately because of the frequencies that they happen in.

If you told someone that a bomb just exploded in Syria, they will take it as "C'est la vie" and probably move on after giving it a read.

If you told someone that Paris got attacked, it gets more attention since these types of terrorist attacks has never happened in Paris before (or very rarely).

All the events of violence and deaths are tragic, yes, but when it happens in a war-torn country, it became background noise; when it happens in a relatively more stable country, it gets all the attention since it's a rare occasion.

You say Paris, but all I hear is باريس.

Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:27 pm

Not sure where you get your news but I hear about the terror attacks in the middle East every day. Mainstream media is shit. CNN/Fox news are useless and even the more moderate stations are still only running stories that are profitable. Hell last year Pakistan's Deputy Chairman of the Senate was nearly killed in an attack. Could you imagine if the second in line for the US presidential succession was nearly killed? Pakistan has over 200 million people, is a US non-nato Ally, and is a nuclear power. No major news sources gave it a second mention. The point is that for every major terror attack in the west there are a dozen in the middle East. Hundreds sometimes die purely for adherence to the other version of Islam.
Whoever said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" has clearly never drown a horse.

Aejus
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aejus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Islam. That's why.
You're ignoring the elephant in the room strapped with IED's and brandishing an AK and an evil agenda.
They do this to themselves constantly, it's not news in most other countries that matter.

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:30 am

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:This includes an attack in August of 2017 where a gunman/suicide bomber stormed a Shiite Mosque in the Heret region of Afghanistan resulting in the deaths of around 90 worshippers. The attack was carried out during evening prayers.

Sunni vs Shiite conflicts have been around since... forever. The rise of neo-fascism all across the west is a new phenomenon.

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:The difference is that the media in the west did very little cover this event through its more popular mediums despite the much larger death toll. The story is the same for countless other attacks that occur in third world nations.. So the question I pose to NSG is why do we, as in the west, not cover (or mourn) mass killings in the third world to the same degree as we do in the first world and should we cover/mourn mass killings in the third world more or less?

Afghanistan is not a "western" country, NZ is.

Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 am

Because that’s the normal level of violence for human communities. What the West experiences is a product of a number of factors, with no small part played by our legal, ideological and interpersonal cultures.

People don’t want to recognise the state of the rest of the world because it challenges the notion that a zero level of violence is attainable.
Reheated donuts

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General