NATION

PASSWORD

US Presidential Election 1912 (IC, Signups Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

US Presidential Election 1912 (IC, Signups Open)

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:22 pm

March 1912

With the presidential election of 1912 swiftly approaching, the two parties are considering who they would like to nominate in the fall. One of the newer innovations this year will be the party primary, in which states and their electorates will vote to send delegates to the national convention in support of one candidate or another. This much-vaunted progressive reform will be used in 13 of 48 states this year. Some view this as a positive development, taking power out of the hands of party bosses and their cronies, while others believe that this will debase candidates and favor demagogues.

Several candidates have made it known that they will stand in all primaries on the Democratic side. Speaker of the House Champ Clark has said that he will allow his supporters to enter his name into the primaries. Clark enters the race as the frontrunner; his position as Speaker of the House means he is well-connected with the party machinery and is owed many favors by the Democratic caucus. As Speaker, he has been an expansionist, especially with regard to Canada, and has set himself as the primary opponent of President Taft, ensuring high visibility. His home state of Missouri is committed to him, and the delegates from Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky are likely to support him as well. If he faces a strong progressive challenger, he may yet lose, but he is the front runner.

Might that progressive challenger be Thomas R. Marshall, the governor of Indiana, who is also standing in the primaries? Marshall claimed the governorship in a state that had not elected a Democrat in some years and has made strides with progressive reforms and constitutional change. He has been vigorously opposed by the Republicans in the state legislature, but has made gains nonetheless. The question for Governor Marshall is whether or not he is a high-profile enough challenger to draw progressives to his banner. He will start with Indiana committed and has proximity to some crucial primary states.

Finally, Henry Jones Ford, the New Jersey Commissioner of Banking and Insurance is also running for the nomination. Little-known outside of his home state, one doubts he can muster enough support for the nomination. The more interesting question is, could he be a stalking horse for the governor of his state, Woodrow Wilson? Governor Wilson, whose name has been rumored to be a progressive favorite, may be reluctant to expose himself to the vicissitudes of a primary campaign or be unsure of his potential support. With Ford as his representative, he can gauge his favorability within the party without suffering damage. Or Ford could be making a ill-fated campaign. It remains to be seen.

On the Republican side, President Taft has not let it be known whether or not he will seek re-election, though one imagines he will. His supporters, especially in the South and in the conservative wing of the party, have vowed to re-nominate him, and he would be the early front-runner. However, the President may have reason to worry. His friend and former President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, having previously ruled out a third term as president, has now gone back on that pledge and intends to stand for the Republican nomination. His vigorous campaign style and personal charisma may sway those progressives in the GOP to abandon the president for him. Although he has an uphill climb, the former president is a formidable force and will make the fight for the nomination quite interesting.

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=460549
Last edited by Nova Anglicana on Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #1
New York City, New York

It was here in the greatest city in the world, the beating heart of the state where he was once governor, the Former President Theodore Roosevelt would begin his quest to reclaim the presidency.

The crowd was massive, larger than any he had assembled in previous campaigns for Governor or President but it was not quite the size of the once that greeted his family in 1910. Signs reading

Signs bearing his name or the slogan “A Square Deal All Around”, and his old slogan “National Unity, Prosperity, Advancement.” dotted the sea of humanity that surrounded him. In the center climbing atop a carriage to speak was the former President himself, not on a stage apart from the people but at one with them.

“Thank you the good people of New York, the Capital of the World!” Teddy let the applause die down a bit before continuing, “I stand here today to ask you to take the bold, great and necessary steps in service of our nation.”

“You are all here for this new movement, of sincerity, truth and wisdom, a movement that empowers the people and their collective power. We must strive boldly to face the questions and challenges of the day, not to evade them and kick them down the road to future generations. We stand to raise aloft the banner of new liberty, a place where good and honest men can flourish no matter the differences of petty politics. We stand here today to face the new challenges of the 20th century and do so on a platform that is a contract with the people, a contract that we will hold ourselves to in honorable obligation to fulfill every promise.”

“We must by national law require all Senators be elected by popular vote, we must require by national law that presidential primaries are held in every state, and are to be decided by popular vote not party bosses. We must purge our elections from corrupt acts in both primaries and general elections and all contributions to political campaigns must be made public. Each community will have control over its local elections, state’s over their state elections, but we must ensure that every vote is represented, that every voice counts. This is how our government shall become truly representative of the people, instead of growing a breed of politicians who use their sacred office for personal gain.”

“We have settled this great country from sea to shining sea, now is the time we must build up on our foundation. We Americans now look across those seas and find a great industrial challenge, I know we can meet. In the past decades we have rapidly industrialized, more and more people now depend on industry for their livelihood. We have a moral obligation to ensure that no citizen lives under conditions injurious to the common welfare, we must submit our industry to health and safety regulations, protecting those that may be crushed under the boot of growing industrial might.”

“When I look at our cities today I see orphans and cripples, those too old or too sick to provide for themselves or their families. Our lack of industrial safety and standards has caused a gash on our society, an open wound that will not heal. For the public health we must empower workers to ensure that no industry carries on against the common good of the social welfare. We must establish basic minimum standards and conditions, of health and safety in every factory and in every workplace. When accidents do occur and the factory is at fault, workers must be given fair compensation.”

“To that end we must establish a minimum wage commission… in each state and in the nation as a whole to determine what standard the public must have as a minimum. A minimum wage for me AND WOMEN, taking the law in Massachusetts as a starting point on which we can improve. A living wage… so that those who devote their time and energy can survive, the living wage varies from state to state, the living wage in Iowa is not the same of Florida or New York. But it must secure the normal standard of living, basic education and recreation, enough to care for sick family, to maintain the family for a period if the provider cannot work, and to permit savings for old age and future generations.”

“We must strive to fight excessive work hours, and that the labor of children should be prohibited. Women within 8 weeks of childbirth must be permitted to take time off without fear of losing their position. We must fight now for an 8 hour work day and a 48 hour work week for all Americans. And when old age comes we should have a pensions modeled on the German system, adapted for our own needs.”

“Just as I believe that women should have the same protections as men in the workplace, they should have the same means of defending their rights at the ballot box. The two sexes are separate, but they should have equality of rights and women must be given suffrage.”

“Too many in our nation do not prosper enough, and too many prosper greatly at the expense of others. Government cannot make men prosper, and we should not seek to take from the hard won prosperity of Americans. But we can shape conditions to ensure that those who work hard, those who are decent, industrious and energetic can succeed, and that those who cheat and exploit other will not be allowed to succeed.”

“We do not wish to control or overburden business, we seek to strike out against those who do evil, whom constantly menace those who do good. We do not believe that any good comes to any one by a policy which means destruction of prosperity; for in such cases it is not possible to divide it because of the very obvious fact that there is nothing to divide. We wish to control big business so as to secure among other things good wages for the wage-workers and reasonable prices for the consumers.”

"Concentration and co-operation in industry in order to secure efficiency are a world-wide movement. The United States cannot resist it. If we isolate ourselves and insist upon the subdivision of industry below the highest economic efficiency, and do not allow co-operation, we shall be defeated in the world's markets. We cannot adopt an economic system less efficient than our great competitors, Germany, England, France, and Austria. Either we must modify our present obsolete laws regarding concentration and co-operation so as to conform with the world movement, or else fall behind in the race for the world's markets.”

“What is needed is the application to all industrial concerns and all co-operating interests engaged in inter-State commerce in which there is either monopoly or control of the market of the principles on which we have gone in regulating transportation concerns engaged in such commerce. The Anti-Trust Law should be kept on the statute-books and strengthened so as to make it genuinely and thoroughly effective against every big concern tending to monopoly or guilty of anti-social practices. At the same time, a National industrial commission should be created which should have complete power to regulate and control all the great industrial concerns engaged in inter-State business--which practically means all of them in this country.”

“Our proposal is definite. It is practicable. We promise nothing that we cannot carry out. We promise nothing which will jeopardize honest business. We promise adequate control of all big business and the stern suppression of the evils connected with big business, and this promise we can absolutely keep. Our proposal is to help honest business activity, however extensive, and to see that it is rewarded with fair returns so that there may be no oppression either of businessmen or of the common people. “

“I believe in a protective tariff, but I believe in it as a principle, approached from the standpoint of the interests of the whole people, and not as a bundle of preferences to be given to favored individuals. In my opinion, the American people favor the principle of a protective tariff, but they desire such a tariff to be established primarily in the interests of the wage-worker and the consumer. “

“We must create a permanent commission of non-partisan experts whose business shall be to study scientifically all phases of tariff-making and of tariff effects. It should directly consider the question as to what any duty costs the people in the price of living. It should examine into the wages and conditions of labor and life of the workingmen in any industry, so as to insure our refusing protection to any industry unless the showing as regards the share labor receives therefrom is satisfactory.”

“Only by this means can the tariff be taken out of politics. The creation of such a permanent tariff commission, and the adoption of the policy of schedule by schedule revision, will do more to accomplish this highly desired object than any other means yet devised.”

“The experience of repeated financial crises in the last forty years has proved that the present method of issuing, through private agencies, notes secured by Government bonds is both harmful and unscientific. The system to be adopted should have as its basic principles soundness and elasticity. The currency should flow forth readily at the demand of commercial activity, and retire as promptly when the demand diminishes. It should be automatically sufficient for all of the legitimate needs of business in any section of the country. Only by such means can the country be freed from the danger of recurring panics. The control should be lodged with the Government, and should be safeguarded against manipulation by Wall Street or the large interests.“

“In international affairs this country should behave toward other nations exactly as an honorable private citizen behaves toward other private citizens. We should do no wrong to any nation, weak or strong, and we should submit to no wrong. We must fortify the Panama Canal, keep our small army is peak condition and build up our navy until--- and not before--- an international treaty to limit arms is recognized.”

“These positions, this platform I propose today come not from study in a library but from the many years of experience I have. I have learned in many and varied conditions, and I believe in the fundamental power of the government to right the wrongs of our society. Because if the government does not exercise such power these wrongs will never be righted. I believe that by empowering the people, men and women both to elect their leaders and hold referendum on them we will have better representation in our elected offices, great accountability.”

“As your President when I needed to get something done I would go not to politicians or businessmen who claim exceptional privilege, I go over their heads straight to their boss, directly to the people. Our Government system should be so shaped that the public servant, when he cannot conscientiously carry out the wishes of the people, shall at their desire leave his office and not misrepresent them in office; and I hold that the public servant can by so doing, better than in any other way, serve both them and his conscience.”

“So now I appeal to you all one last time, come with me on this crusade against wrong. The crusade against falsehood and cowardice, we will fight with growing confidence and a resolve that will shake the heavens. Let us strive forth in a spirit of brotherhood equalled only in legends of valor, gird yourselves for this new fight for the good of humanity. Thank you God Bless you all and God Bless the United States of America!”
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Helowi
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Thomas R. Marshall Campaign Stop #1: Indianapolis, Indiana
Thomas R. Marshall was getting ready for his speech outside of the Indiana Statehouse, communicating with Lieutenant Governor Frank J. Hall while reciting Important parts of his speech. “Honestly, Thomas, I think you got this competition in the bag.” Hall said. “We are in the height of the progressive era, and Clark isn’t a man who embraces Progressivism, and no one gives a hoot about Ford except for New Jersey.”

“I know, Frank.” Marshall said, combing his mustache. “But the thing is, we shouldn’t underestimate Champ’s support. A lot more people know who Clark is than they know me, and the only one who knows Ford is his mother.” Marshall said, getting a laugh from both himself and Hall. “But let me tell you this, I’ll shake hands with every single man in this country just so I can win the presidency and that’s a fact.” Marshall then began to walk out of the statehouse building with Hall into his first rally.

As soon as Marshall exited the building, the whole crowd of hoosiers went wild, screaming and cheering for Marshall as he gave a hug and kiss to his wife, Lois, and approaching the podium, as the crowd repeatedly cheered “Thomas! Thomas! Thomas!” over and over again. If he we’re to guess, about 5,000 people were in the crowd.

“Good evening, my fellow Hoosier Americans.”. a huge roar of applause came from the audience “4 Years ago, in this great state of Indiana, on these statehouse steps, I was inaugurated as the Governor of our fantastic state of Indiana.” Another roar of applause came from the audience “No one in my state had expected me to be the man up on those steps that day becoming the Governor of my state. After all, there hadn’t been a Democratic Governor in two decades.”

Marshall then took a slight pause. “However, somehow, I managed to win the election against a Congressman by .1%, and ever since I was inaugurated on these steps four years ago, I have decided to work for the better futures of the people of Indiana. I have worked to pass anti-child labor laws and have worked to ban child labor in our state, I have past anti-corruption laws, I have also been a strong opponent of Eugenics during my time as Governor. As Governor, no man in the state of Indiana was executed, and as Governor, I attacked big corporations and used new federal antitrust laws to split up large businesses. It is clear that under my presidency, Hoosiers were able to sit back and have a good five cent cigar.” The crowd then began to cheer for the Governor as he said the comment, until he continued talking.

“So, as of this date, I announce my candidacy for President of the United States of America under the Democratic Party. The United States is in need of a good five cent cigar right now, and I believe I’m the man who can give it to them. I will be running on a progressive platform. I will fight for the right for the people to democratically elect senators, I will end child labor, I will push regulations onto big businesses, and most importantly, I’ll work for the people of the nation who work hard every day and need a person up there in the white house to represent them, who will fight for them, and who, in the end, will give them that five cent cigar!” A huge round of applause came across the whole audience as Marshall stepped down from the podium and went down to the audience.

As he went down to the audience with his wife, the crowd was roaring, and cheering for him as he went by until Marshall stopped next to a baby, slightly younger then a year, who was being held by his mother. “May I hold him?” Marshall asked, to which the mother agreed. Marshall then began to talk to the baby, and in the end, shook his hand. “See, already I’m working for the little guy!” Marshall yelled, to which he got a good chuckle from the people nearby.

He then got into a car, which was being driven to the local train station, as it was headed to the second stop on Marshall’s midwestern tour for the presidency.

Thomas Marshall’s Midwestern Tour
Tuesday: Springfield, Illinois Rally.
Wednesday: St. Louis, Missouri Rally
Thursday: Rally in Jefferson City, Missouri.
Friday: Rally in Topeka, Kansas
Saturday: Rally in Lincoln, Nebraska
Sunday: Rest Day
Monday: Rally in Des Moines, Iowa
Tuesday: Rally in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wednesday: Rally in Madison, Wisconsin
Thursday: Rally in Gary, Indiana
Friday: Rally in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Saturday: Final Stop in Midwestern tour in Cleveland, Ohio.
Last edited by Helowi on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95
ISideWith 2020 Election Results
https://www.isidewith.com/profile/34439 ... esidential

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:38 am

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #2
Buffalo, New York

“Thank you Buffalo! God bless you all!” Teddy was swarmed by the crowd as he concluded his rally in Buffalo New York. He shook hands, kissed babies and gave words of encouragement as he made his way through the crowd of people grasping just to touch the former President as he made his way back to his train. The rally’s in New York had thus far proved that the state he formerly governed was backing him strongly and were very much in the progressive column. But his Progressivism was much more practical than someone like Senator La Follette and it might rub some idealists the wrong way.

To that end he met with Oscar S. Straus on his train while traveling to Rochester, one of the most prominent progressives in New York if not the most prominent, he also happened to be a former cabinet member of Roosevelt’s. In exchange for his support and surrogacy in New York State on behalf of Roosevelt, Theodore promised to endorse him in the Republican Primary for Governor. This was a big coup for Roosevelt and helped ensure the grassroots progressive movement in New York would work for him.

Roosevelt Campaign Schedule

1. New York City
2. Buffalo
3. Rochester
4. Scranton
5. Philadelphia
6. Pittsburgh
7. Cincinnati
8. Cleveland
9. Chicago
10. Peoria
11. East St Louis
12. Sioux Falls
13. Portland
14. Salem
15. Los Angeles
16. San Francisco
17. Omaha
18. Jackson
19. Memphis
20. Baltimore
21. Newark
22. Jersey City
23. Paterson
Last edited by Dentali on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Arab State
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:33 pm

Champ Clark Campaign Stop #1, Jefferson City, Missouri

It was a fine morning in the capital of the state of Missouri. A fairly large crowd had begun to gather outside the state Capitol. After a few minutes Champ Clark made his way onto the stage and after some applause, began.

"I'd like to first say good morning to my fellow Americans here today. Now this country, this great country is in danger of having harmful precedents being set upon it and the American people. Whether it be through the proposed direct election of Senators, something which will violate the sovereignty of the state she of the Union or whether it be through though former President Roosevelt's campaign for a third term."

"Consequently, I feel it necessary to announce that I, James Beauchamp Clark will be campaigning in the Democratic Primaries for the office of President of these United States." At that point the crowd went into thunderous applause before silencing.

"I will be campaigning as a man of experience and my platform shall reflect that. I pledge to you today that a Clark administration will not seek to implement this Progressive nonsense that some legislators are calling for and if I am elected President, I will apply Commons sense and experience to the issues that these United States face. If you intend to defend American values if hard-work and state sovereignty and value experience for this nations highest and most distinguished office, then back and winner, vote for Champ."

Champ Clark proceeded to walk through the crowd, shaking hands and speaking briefly with members of the crowd before boarding a automobile for the railway station and from there, the vast American campaign trail.

Champ Clark rally schedule:

1: Indianapolis, IN

2: Des Moines, IA

3: Farminton, MO

4: Nashville, TN

5: Cincinnati, OH

6: Richmond, VA

7: Charleston, SC

8: Atlanta, GA

9: Huntsville, AL

10: Little Rock, AR

11: Austin, TX

12: Omaha, NE

13: Sioux Falls, SD

14: Casper, WY
Moggmentum
Trump 2024
This nation does not represent my political views.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #3
Rochester, New York

Putting a cap on his New York Campaign Theodore Roosevelt stopped in Rochester, New York to give a speech and hold a rally. He also met with Senator Elihu Root of New York, his personal friend and former Secretary of State and War in his administration to try and elicit support. He was someone Roosevelt would have considered for a position as Vice President but the Constitution forbid the President and the Vice President being from the same state. Perhaps most importantly he was the talk of the state and the nation as he was expected to win the Nobel Peace Prize as Theodore Roosevelt had years before.

Additionally he met with outgoing (but still influential) Senator Chauncey Depew who had actually nominated Roosevelt for Governor in 1898 and was a longtime ally. He was also rich and would help fund the Roosevelt campaign and outreach in the Northeast, which was vital considering Roosevelts rejection of party bosses.

Roosevelt was confident that his home state of New York was safe in his column, with 3 massive rallyies and several key allies in place that would control the delegates and influence the population, Teddy moved South towards Pennsylvania.
Last edited by Dentali on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #4
Scranton, Pennsylvania

Theodore traveled by train to Eastern Pennsylvania stopping in Scranton Pennsylvania, for a major rally. He had the pleasure of being introduced by J. Benjamin Dimmick the former mayor and hero of Scranton who led them through a deadly outbreak of Cholera. During his speech he praised and highlighted the accomplishments of Governor Edwin Sydney Stuart for his good government reform, and pursuit of labor laws protecting children.

He would meet Stuart later that day giving him lavish praise and promising him a cabinet post in the Roosevelt administration should he support Roosevelt in the election. He would need the position as he was term limited. His support would be a major boon in the state, being very popular and having a reputation of being an avid campaigner. Perhaps most importantly, Stuart had fought against machine politics in the party which was a massive part of Roosevelt’s platform. His strongest supporters however would be Philadelphia where Roosevelt hit next.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #5
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

The day after Scranton Roosevelt stopped in Pennsylvania for a massive rally that while not as large as his event in New York City but the enthusiasm was just as strong. He spent two days in Philadelphia, holding a rally and took in a baseball game alongside the current governor John K Tener who was an avid baseball fan. Theodore and John bonded over being athletes and made some comments to the press afterwards about the importance of sports in American Life. Privately Theodore expressed his admiration for Tener championing school attendance regardless of race, and publicly Theodore congratulated and endorse Tener on his focus on teacher salaries and conservation programs.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #6
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Roosevelt took the trip in Pittsburgh to talk specifically to steel workers and the industrial communities of the area. He focused his typical stump speech into a streamlined version focused on their specifics needs and concerns, instead of giving one massive rally he made a dozen smaller speeches focused on different factories and concerns in the area. He ending the day dining and having a small party with George Tener Oliver, William Finn and other local politicians eager to be seen with the former president. There he made his position on tariffs very clear, that he didn’t like politically connected tariffs but ones on steel and iron would certainly qualify as a non partisan tariff that was good for the country as a whole and privately pledged to defend them.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:59 pm

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #7
Cincinnati, Ohio

Ohio was Howard Taft’s home state, defeating him in a primary here would be embarrassing and grab headlines across the nation. Victory was far from assured but Roosevelt gave his stump speech to a sold out crowd at a baseball field in Cincinnati, giving the speech from the pitcher's mound, surrounded on all sides by a roaring crowd of supporters. In attendance was a former governor that Roosevelt highlighted the achievements of in his speech. Andrew L Harris, a civil war hero who Roosevelt applauded for banning corporate political donations, and he wanted to get Myron T Herrick there as well but he was named Ambassador to France shortly beforehand. He was introduced by rising star Frank B Willis, a member of the House of Representatives.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #8
Cleveland, Ohio

In Cleveland Roosevelt did a few informal appearances and gave a short speech from the back of his train. But he was mainly there to meet with several influential men. Senator Theodore E. Burton, was a political ally who Roosevelt had appointed as chairman of several commissions and gave a big boost to his early career, now Roosevelt was calling in the favor and soliciting his support in the election. Also present was the former Lt Governor and Republican party leader, Warren G Harding who Roosevelt promised to endorse for Senator if he planned to run.

Roosevelt also hosted a gathering of Spanish-American War veterans which included former Senator Charles W. F. Dick. Charles had lost his bid for re-election but was still popular among republicans in the state and had connections in the local Republican Infrastructure that he could leverage into delegate support. The gathering also helped remind the public of Roosevelt’s status as a war hero.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #9
Chicago, Illinois

Illinois was a difficult state for Roosevelt because his strongest potential allies were either deeply steeped in the machine politics of Chicago or were embroiled in scandals. But upon reaching Chicago Roosevelt met with the former Lt governor of the state Lawrence Yates Sherman and held a joint rally with him in support of his candidacy for the Senate over the incumbent Republican Shelby Cullom who was embroiled in a bribery scandal. He was a progressive and long term fan of Roosevelt but was more isolationist in foreign policy. He also solicited the support of various state’s attorney's to ensure that voter fraud was kept to a minimum... at least by Illinois standards.
Last edited by Dentali on Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:36 pm

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #10
Peoria, Illinois

Recently polling was going well, though Illinois was not on the list of states Roosevelt could yet put in his column. With 29 electoral votes it would be a major catch, so Theodore took the occasion to meet with several more minor politicians, local mayors, county commissioners and such before his stump speech where he voiced support for James Robert Mann, the house minority leader, who was in attendance specifically highlighting his support of women’s suffrage. Additionally Roosevelt held a gathering in Peoria after a rally, that was attended by Congressmen, Martin B. Madden, William Warfield Wilson, and George Edmund Foss, each of whom he lobbied for support from. Though minor Congressman they would likely be part of the Illinois delegation.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #11
East St. Louis, Illinois

Roosevelt took a boat on the Mississippi going North to South, loaded with local politicians and celebrities, as the went through St. Louis thousands flocked to the shore to watch the barge that had a large band aboard playing patriotic tunes and shooting off fireworks. They disembarked in East St Louis where a stage for a rally was waiting. Roosevelt was introduced by Congressman Ira Clifton Copley, a major player in the local Progressive Republican infrastructure. After his stump speech Roosevelt met with a few other Progressive activists in neighboring states, William H Hinebaugh of Illinois, William MacDonald and Roy Woodruff of Michigan, and secretly Democratic Governor Joseph M Carey of Wyoming. Together they discussed strategy for the Midwest and the plains states.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #12
De Moines, Iowa

Originally Theodore had intended to visit South Dakota for his 12th stop, but his people in the region had reported that Roosevelt had already been doing well in the state so he elected to go to Iowa instead. He met with William S Kenyon, the newly elected Senator, in a private meeting where he gave him assurances regarding his farm policy and reforms. He also met with Albert B Cummins, a progressive and very popular governor of the state who was considering a presidential run himself, Roosevelt wined and dined him ending the night offering him a cabinet position in exchange for support. Finally Roosevelt held a rally on a supporters farm that attracted people from across the state, and was introduced by Horace Mann Tower whom he had pledged to assist in expanding education across the country.

While in De Moines, Roosevelt also met with Albert J Beveridge, the former Senator from Indiana and major progressive advocate. Roosevelt promised Beveridge a speaking role at the republican convention and support for future political campaigns in exchange for campaigning on behalf of Roosevelt in Indiana.

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:29 pm

[Woodrow Wilson Campaign Announcement]
Trenton, New Jersey

Woodrow Wilson knew, that his campaign wouldn’t be easy. Luckily, he acquired a large sum of donation money, in addition to his own funds, to jump start his campaign. Yet he decided to wait for the right moment, which was now. He gave a press conference in Trenton, New Jersey. Planning to talk about much of his own views and to take a few questions. However, he also planed to unveil a secret of his. He gave his speech to a crowd of a few thousand of his supporters and members of the media. They listened in as he spoke:

"With all that being said, I would like to address another matter. One that wouldn’t surprise many but needed to be said regardless. I, Thomas Woodrow Wilson, will be running for Office of President of these here United States of America as a member of the Democratic Party. For my campaign, I will be listening to the voice of the common man, and I shall promise that the role of big business in government will remain separate and true. I solemnly promise to protect the rights and freedoms of all those who are considered apart of America, and that these shall not be infringed upon by corrupt politicians or monopolized corporations. I pledge to all of you today that the Wilson Administration will implement an 8-hour work day, and secure the rights for those working in America. Yet, I will not run a progressive campaign like that of former President Theodore Roosevelt.”

"I will be campaigning as a man of experience, heart, and common sense and my platform shall reflect that. If I am elected President, I will make sure that the executive branch will be free of corruption and scandals, and that they will listen to the needs of all people in America. I am a moderate, and I wish to compromise with those across the isle if necessary. Yet, I am not weak, as I will be strong in times of hardship and crisis. If I am elected President, I will apply common sense and experience to the issues that these United States face, and will take a cool and calculated approach. If you intend to defend the American values of a hard-working, individual society, secured sovereignty of the States, and protect the rights of the working class, then place a vote for Wilson.”

The crowd went into a thunderous applause, as Woodrow Wilson mingled through the crowds to greet people and engage in small talk. Yet, there was still much to be done. He was late in the race, and had to make up for the deficit. Yet, he had the funds and the backing to push him forwards in his campaign. For it was not the campaign donor or the big name endorsements that kept him going, but it was the common man who supported him that kept him in the race. He had announced his first wave of campaign stops, as he was going to throughout the South and parts of Southern New England at first. He got on a train to New York City to go on his first stop.

Campaign Schedule (Phase 1):
1. New York City, New York
2. Hartford, Connecticut
3. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4. Cleveland, Ohio
5. Indianapolis, Indiana
6. Frankfurt, Kentucky
7. St. Louis, Missouri
8. Memphis, Tennessee
9. New Orleans, Louisiana
10. Houston, Texas
11. Savannah, Georgia
12. Raleigh, North Carolina
13. Richmond, Virginia
14. Baltimore Maryland

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:25 pm

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #13
Portland, Oregon

While Roosevelt could not visit Washington on his trip across the nation, he was joined for a meeting with a Republican delegation led by Senator Miles Poindexter, which consisted of a number of local politicians and state delegates such as Jacob Falconer and James W. Bryan. This delegation would advocate for Roosevelt in Washington state and campaign in his place.

From the back of his train Roosevelt greeted several crowds over 2 days in the city of Portland giving sections of his stump speech but spent the majority of his time meeting with local Oregon activists and politicians, organizing his campaign infrastructure in the state. Senator Jonathan Bourne Jr. who strongly advocated Roosevelt running in 2008 was placed in charged of efforts in the state.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #14
Salem, Oregon

Senator Frederick W. Mulkey was a popular figure and highly regarded in the state despite not currently serving in office, he introduced Roosevelt at a rally in Salem where Theodore delivered his stump speech. Afterwards he met with Former Senator Charles William Fulton whom he promised to appoint the new ambassador to Canada when he was elected should Fulton pledge his support.

That night he met with James Withycombe, a popular Republican in the state who lost 2 previous gubernatorial races. Roosevelt pledged his support personal support and endorsement for his next run.

On his train Roosevelt met with a delegation from Idaho led by popular former governor James H Brady who was running for Senator. Roosevelt endorsed Brady in the race sending him with a personal letter to be read to the Idaho Legislature lauding him. But the strongest supporter of Roosevelt in the delegation was Senator William Borah who was known for clashing with Taft.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #15
Los Angeles, California

Los Angeles had the single largest political rally the city had ever seen, California was a young state and had been growing quickly in population becoming more and more important in Presidential Elections. The first President to visit the West Coast in Office had been Rutherford B. Hayes, but Roosevelt focused on California as a state to win in the campaign. In California he had expanded Yosemite and visited many times, he was extremely popular in the state where many national politicians never went.

Introducing him at the rally was Hiram Johnson, the young and popular governor of the state who gave a stirring speech in support of Roosevelt's candidacy. Also present was Senator George F Edmunds, activist John A Elston, District Attorney John Morton Eshleman, and several Congressman notably William Stephens.

Roosevelt met that night with the whose, who of Los Angeles celebrities and had a private closed door meeting ensuring the support of the former mayor Owen McAleer who was placed in charge of campaigning for Roosevelt in Los Angeles.

In secret Roosevelt met with more Conservative George Clement Perkins, a veteran Senator known for supporting big business. Roosevelt made a deal to make Senator Perkins a Cabinet Secretary in exchange for his support.

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:27 pm

With the entrance of Governor Woodrow Wilson into the race, Henry Thomas Ford loses his support and certain progressive states are making it known he might win their votes in the primaries or at the convention. Should Wilson gain the nomination and no conservative emerge to challenge Roosevelt, it could be an all-progressive presidential election this year.

Champions

Runners-up

3rd Place

4th Place

Quarterfinals

Hosted

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:43 pm

[Woodrow Wilson Campaign Stop #1]
New York City, New York

It was here in the one of her greatest cities in the world, New York City, that Woodrow Wilson would make his first campaign stop. Wilson knew that in a general election, he would never win New York, but he has a shot of carrying it in the Primaries. As he approached the stage, he was met with an applause from the audience. Thousands flocked to his rally, as he gave his speech that he believed would appeal to the pro-Roosevelt citizens of the crowd, and the traditional Democrats. After he finished, he was met with a resounding applause from the audience.

Afterwards, he was then approached by current Democratic Senator James Aloysius O’Gorman. The Senator, after a 2-hour conversation, decided to endorse Woodrow Wilson and his campaign. This gave his a valuable ally in the State of New York, which would hopefully give him the win in the primaries. He also met with various State politicians to get their individual endorsements. Not only did he get the Senator’s endorsement, but also that of The New York Times. They gave them their official endorsement, and wrote about how he would be a great president if given the chance in an article talking about Democratic Presidential Candidates.

Upon leaving the state of New York, he knew that he a gained a significant following in New York, and was positive he would carry the state in the primaries. He had also received significant endorsements as well that he believe, would get him one step further to winning the Democratic Primaries. Still, he was a long ways away to winning the primaries, and still have various places to campaign. He planned, in Phase 1, to initially campaign in the big cities and more popular areas, then he would host rallies in multiple locations and in various States. Wilson couldn’t stop for too long as to speed up his campaigning.

[Woodrow Wilson Campaign Stop #2]
Hartford, Connecticut

Instead of doing 1 rally in the city of Hartford, he did 2. He gave a small speech in the city of Bridgeport along the way to Hartford. Then, he reached the city of Hartford to give his speech. He continued to meet with many local politicians, and especially met with Governor Simeon Eben Baldwin about his endorsement for Wilson. After a long 5-hour discussion, Wilson believed he made some progress. While no official endorsement was given, Governor Baldwin agreed to “shift things towards Wilson’s direction”, in exchange for a potential position in the federal government. However, Wilson didn’t want to stay too long in New England, and wanted to first campaign in the necessary areas to win the primaries. These areas would be key for winning Wilson’s nomination.

2. Hartford, Connecticut

4. Cleveland, Ohio
5. Indianapolis, Indiana
6. Frankfurt, Kentucky
7. St. Louis, Missouri
8. Memphis, Tennessee
10. Houston, Texas
11. Savannah, Georgia
13. Richmond, Virginia
14. Baltimore Maryland
Last edited by Valtrona on Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #16
San Francisco, California

Roosevelt held a massive rally in San Francisco second in the state only to the one in Los Angeles. But to secure the support of the city and its majority Catholic population he solicited the support of mayor James Rolph. Roosevelt promised to put Catholics in his cabinet and enact federal hiring policies that didn’t discriminate against them, additionally he agreed to market San Francisco as the “Gateway to the Pacific”.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #17
Omaha, Nebraska

Governor Chester H. Aldrich greeted Roosevelt warmly as he came off the train, with a loud patriotic band and a massive crowd. Together they took a parade through the city of Omaha until they reached the platform where Roosevelt would give his stump speech. Present were Senators Elmer Burkett, John Mellen Thurston, Norris Brown and Joseph Hopkins Millard. But Roosevelt asked Congressman George W. Norris to introduce him in his speech,

Later in the evening Roosevelt had dinner with members of the former populist movement, such as Senator William Vincent Allen in an effort to entice their support with his platform of breaking the power of party machines, political bosses and the direct election of Senators.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #18
Wichita, Kansas

In Wichita, held a few small rallys with former governor Edward W Hoch a well known figure, and popular orator. Roosevelt held what he termed the “Convention of the Plains States Republicans” which ally Senator Joseph L Bristow assisted Roosevelt in convening, inviting the following

Senator Joseph L Bristow of Kansas
Senator Chester Isaiah Long of Kansas
Senator Charles Curtis of Kansas
Governor Walter R Stubbs of Kansas
Governor Edward W Hoch of Kansas
Governor Willis J Bailey of Kansas
Governor John E Rickards of Montana
Senator Thomas H Carter of Montana
Senator Joseph M Dixon of Montana
Senator Alse Gronna of North Dakota
Senator Porter J McCumber of North Dakota
Congressman L.B. Hanna of Nebraska
Governor George L Sheldon of Nebraska
Governor Robert S Vessey of South Dakota
Governor Frank M Byrne of South Dakota
Governor Coe I Crawford of South Dakota
Senator Robert J Gamble of South Dakota
Senator Francis E Warren of Wyoming
Senator Clarence D Clark of Wyoming
Governor Bryant Butler Brooks of Wyoming
Senator Elmer Burkett of Nebraska
Senator Norris Brown of Nebraska
Representative George W. Norris of Nebraska
Senator Simon Guggenheim of Colorado
Governor Franz Frantz of Oklahoma
Congressman Charles E Creager of Oklahoma
Congressman Bird Segle McGuire of Oklahoma
Congressman Dick Thompson Morgan of Oklahoma
Governor William Joseph Mills of New Mexico
Senator Thomas B Catron of New Mexico
Senator Albert B Fall of New Mexico

The meeting lasted 3 days and was mainly a discussion of the major issues facing the plains states in the 20th century and the solutions the party should pursue going forward. Roosevelt did a lot of listening and handshaking, detailing his platform when asked but mostly was just trying to facilitate a conversation between republicans and solidify ties in places most presidential candidates didn’t go.

In particular Senator Joseph L Bristow of Kansas, Governor Edward W Hoch of Kansas, Senator Joseph M Dixon of Montana, Governor George L Sheldon of Nebraska, and Governor Robert S Vessey of South Dakota were Progressives who supported Roosevelt’s bid and would campaign for him in their respective states.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #19
Kansas City, Missouri

Missouri was a state that Taft had near total control over, but his lack of campaigning or seeming interest in re-election had caused many to potentially doubt his candidacy. He decided to visit the south, a rarity for a Republican and most certainly a task that would not bear fruit in the general election. However Roosevelt had a major advantage in Missouri as Governor Herbert Spencer Hadley was in power, a big ally and progressive that was a local hero. Roosevelt and Hadley travel the state and held a rally in Kansas City, where Hadley introduced him to many of the future delegates from Missouri at the Republican convention as well as the mayor of Kansas City, Darius A Brown.

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:15 pm

[Woodrow Wilson Campaign Stop #3]
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Woodrow Wilson arrived in the city and stepped up to give his speech to a crowd of a few thousand people. They cheered and applauded upon his arrival to the stage, and began to read off his paper:

“To look at the politics of the day from the viewpoint of the laboring man is not to suggest that there is one view proper to him, another to the employer, another to the capitalist, another to the professional man, but merely that the life of the country as a whole may be looked at from various points of view, and yet be viewed as a whole. The whole business of politics is to bring classes together upon a platform of accommodation and common interest. In a political campaign the voters are called upon to choose between parties and leaders. Parties and platforms and candidates should be frankly put under examination to see what they will yield us by way of progress. And there are a great many questions which the working man may legitimately ask and quest until he gets a definite answer.

“The ramblings of the candidate of the Republican Party are as alarming as the ramblings of the various stand-patters. He declares that he is not troubled by the fact that a very large amount of money is taken out of the pockets of the general taxpayer and put into the pockets of particular classes that protect his manufacturers, but that his concern is that so little of this money gets into the pockets of the laboring man and so large a proportion of it into the pockets of the employers. I have searched this program very thoroughly for an indication of what he expects to do in order to see to it that a larger proportion of this prize money gets into the pay envelope—and I have found only one suggestion. There is a plank in the program which speaks of establishing a minimum, or a living wage, for women workers. And I suppose that we may assume that the principle is not in the long run meant to be confined in its application to women only. Perhaps we are justified in assuming that the third party looks forward to the general establishment by law of a minimum wage. It is very likely, I take it for granted, that if a minimum wage were established by law the great majority of employers would take occasion to bring their wage scale as nearly as might be down to the level of that minimum. And it would be very awkward for the working man to resist that process successfully because it would be dangerous to strike against the authority in the Federal government. Moreover, most of his employers—at any rate, practically all of the most powerful of them—would be wards and proteges of that very government which is the master of us all. For no part of this program can be discussed intelligently, without remembering that monopoly, as handled by it, is not to be prevented, but accepted and regulated.

“When you have thought the whole thing out, therefore, you will find that the program of the new party legalizes monopolies and, of necessity, subordinates working men to them and to the plans made by the government, both with regard to employment, and with regard to wages. Take the thing as a whole, and it looks strangely like economic mastery over the very lives and fortunes of those who do the daily work of the nation. And all this under the overwhelming power and sovereignty of the national government. What most of us are fighting for is to break up this very partnership between big business and the government.”

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

A small rally was held in a city on the way to Cleveland, Ohio. Woodrow Wilson wanted to make continued stops on the way and talk with local and State politicians. He gained the endorsement of various State government politicians, however was unfortunately unable to gain any State-wide support on the account of most of the State being run by the Republicans. Yet, much of the State’s delegates secretly pledged their vote to Wilson, as the lack of interest and campaigning of other Democratic Candidates. He went on his train ride to Cleveland Ohio, to visit and hopefully gain more support in the State.

2. Hartford, Connecticut

4. Cleveland, Ohio
5. Indianapolis, Indiana
6. Frankfurt, Kentucky
7. St. Louis, Missouri
8. Memphis, Tennessee
10. Houston, Texas
11. Savannah, Georgia
13. Richmond, Virginia
14. Baltimore Maryland
Last edited by Valtrona on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:53 am

[Woodrow Wilson Campaign Stop #4]
Cleveland, Ohio

Wilson arrived at Ohio, a State already leaning in his direction. He gave his speech, promising an 8-hour work day and increased rights for the working class. His speech got much applause, as he mingled throughout the crowd and greeted many of his followers personally.

Wilson met with Governor Judson Harmon and Senator Attlee Pomerene to discuss matters of a potential Wilson Administration. After 2 hours, the three men cam out in agreement. Woodrow Wilson had secured the endorsements of both the Governor Ohio and the US Senator from Ohio as well. Other US representatives and various other local politicians also decided to ride the Wilson train to the primaries. Wilson was hoping to get a large support base in Ohio, not just for the primaries, but for the General election as well.

Wilson’s base campaigned extensively in the State, even though Wilson was forced to leave much earlier than anticipated to meet his schedule before the primaries. At this stage, with the lack of competition from the other Democratic Candidates, it was increasingly likely that Wilson would end up winning the primaries. Yet, nothing was set in stone.

2. Hartford, Connecticut
4. Cleveland, Ohio

5. Indianapolis, Indiana
6. Frankfurt, Kentucky
7. St. Louis, Missouri
8. Memphis, Tennessee
10. Houston, Texas
11. Savannah, Georgia
13. Richmond, Virginia
14. Baltimore Maryland

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:53 am

Excerpt from an interview with reporter

"I am sincerely worried about the mental state of Governor Wilson, he made a meandering speech in Philadelphia recently that said very little and made claims about some new party whose identity remains a mystery. His supporters should ask him who he is talking about."

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #20
Jackson, Mississippi

Roosevelt went South to Jackson Mississippi, on the train he met with Senator William Warner, discussing an alliance with him to strengthen the Republican presence in the South and promising massive resources of the party to win Southern voters. Upon arriving in Jackson he met with District Attorney Whitmell P Martin of Louisiana, a progressive who agreed to return to his home state and talk to Republican delegates on his behalf, softening their support for Taft.

Roosevelt held a small rally but one that was respectable for a republican. But the majority of the trip was spent meeting with potential delegates to the Republican Convention, promising them patronage and increased resources for the party in the south. Congressman Richard Bartholdt of Missouri, Congressman Theron Ephron Catlin, Congressman Bird Segle McGuire of Oklahoma, Congressman Dick Thompson Morgan of Oklahoma, Congressman John W Langley of Kentucky and Congressman Caleb Powers of Kentucky dined with Roosevelt that night where he lobbied them for support.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #21
Memphis, Tennessee

Senator William O’Connell Bradley of Kentucky joined Theodore Roosevelt on his tour of Tennessee where he held 3 small rallies in small impoverished towns and a 4th major one in Memphis. He met rising Republican Congressman Sam R Sells and went on a charm offensive with Tennessee delegates at the rally, lauding them. He tried also sent a kind letter to Congressman Richard W Austin who had refused an earlier invitation to the rally, Roosevelt let Austin know that he had no hard feelings about it.

On his way out of the city he had a brief meeting with Senator Newell Sanders, who was appointed to fill a senate vacancy. Roosevelt promised him a federal job should he support Roosevelt and convince the Republican delegation to support him in the convention. Theodore also sent a personal letter to Congressman Leonidas C. Dyer promising to push for civil rights as President.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #22
Baltimore, Maryland

Maryland had been interesting to Roosevelt for awhile now, while technically in the south it was a border state that McKinley had won, Governor Phillips Lee Goldsborough hosted Roosevelt while he was there.

Newly elected Senator William Purnell Jackson, Congressman Thomas Parran Sr., and former mayor E. Clay Timanus join Roosevelt for his rally in Baltimore which attracted a large crowd of African Americans in the state.
Last edited by Dentali on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Radio Interview
“I honestly have no idea what Mr. Roosevelt was talking about during his interview. A “new party” in my speech in Philadelphia? I never said such a thing, I was merely referring to his Republican platform. Also, I still have no clue what the good sir was thinking attempting to bring his campaign to the South. Both he and I know that the South is solid ground for the Democratic Party, just as Vermont or Utah is for the Republican Party. With all do respect, I think his traveling abroad really got him out of touch with the common man of America. Such as shame...”

[Woodrow Wilson Campaign Stop #4]
Cleveland, Ohio

Wilson arrived at Ohio, a State already leaning in his direction. He gave his speech, promising an 8-hour work day and increased rights for the working class. His speech got much applause, as he mingled throughout the crowd and greeted many of his followers personally. Wilson met with Governor Judson Harmon and Senator Attlee Pomerene to discuss matters of a potential Wilson Administration. After 2 hours, the three men came out in agreement. Woodrow Wilson had secured the endorsements of both the Governor Ohio and the US Senator from Ohio in exchange for promising to help secure the interest of Ohio and its people. Other US representatives and various other local politicians also decided to ride the Wilson train to the primaries.

Wilson’s base campaigned extensively in the State, even though Wilson was forced to leave much earlier than anticipated to meet his schedule before the primaries. Wilson was hoping to get a large support base in Ohio, not just for the primaries, but for the General election as well. At this stage, with the lack of competition from the other Democratic Candidates, it was increasingly likely that Wilson would end up winning the primaries. Yet, nothing was set in stone.

[Woodrow Wilson Campaign Stop #5]
Indianapolis, Indiana

Wilson arrived, and he already knew that this State would be difficult to win in the primaries, but not in the general election. Thomas Marshal, although very popular in his home State, has been lacking in the campaigns. He hasn’t gone out much outside of Indiana, and even here is a stretch. Still, Wilson hoped to gain some traction in the State. He gave his speech, and managed to get a loud applause from the audience, much bigger than originally anticipated. Wilson met with various State officials for their endorsements. He wasn’t too successful, but he expected much better results after his second adventure in the State once the primaries were coming to a close.

2. Hartford, Connecticut
4. Cleveland, Ohio
5. Indianapolis, Indiana

6. Frankfurt, Kentucky
7. St. Louis, Missouri
8. Memphis, Tennessee
10. Houston, Texas
11. Savannah, Georgia
13. Richmond, Virginia
14. Baltimore Maryland
Last edited by Valtrona on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:22 am

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #23
Newark, New Jersey

Jersey was the last state on Roosevelt’s Primary Schedule before heading to the convention. The writing was on the wall for Taft, with the overwhelming popularity of Roosevelt, his energetic campaigning and overwhelming networking, President Taft looked more and more like a sinking ship. Conservative New Jersey Governor Franklin Murphy was not a Roosevelt ally but the weakness of Taft made many explore their options. Roosevelt met with the former governor for an hour, and while he did not confirm his support he made significant progress towards gaining his support.

He also visited the recently retired Senator John Kean, who was too ill to attend events but still popular in the state. Roosevelt solicited his support in an effort for him to get a newspaper endorsement and exert his influence. Theodore also had a dinner with former New Jersey governor Edward C. Stokes, he was not terribly popular overall but had a stranglehold over a number of local party politicians and potential convention delegates. Roosevelt promised to endorse Stokes during his next run for Governor in exchange for his influence over New Jersey delegates. Finally Roosevelt met with John Franklin Fort, another former Republican Governor, whose support he secured by promising an appointment to the Federal Trade Commission.

At his rally in Newark, Roosevelt was introduced by a young rising star in the state, Walter Evans Edge. He was known for combating the local political machine and supporting many progressive positions, Theodore immediately took a liking to him and promised his support in future political endeavours. The rally was also attended by former mayor of Newark Henry Meade Doremus.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #24
Jersey City, New Jersey

Roosevelt took full advantage of the proximity to New York, organizing a mega rally with the help of John Purroy Mitchel, a bright young activist and idealistic progressive reformer on the board of Alderman for the city. Thousands from New York crossed over into Jersey for Roosevelt’s rally combining with the already sizable population of Jersey City that had turned out to see him speak.

Former Mayor of Jersey City, and one likely to run again introduced Roosevelt at the rally, upon Roosevelt taking the stage Roosevelt asked him in front of the crowd to run once again for mayor.

Theodore Roosevelt Campaign Stop #25
Paterson, New Jersey

The Final rally of the Roosevelt primary campaign culminated in a 90 minute speech to a crowd of the impoverished industrial community, many of which were Italian immigrants. They responded well to Roosevelt’s platform of a minimum wage, worker safety laws and a general pro-labor platform.

After his rally he returned to New York State and met with former Vice President Levi P Morton in New York, to solicit his potential support to help bring the party together. Finally he held one more meeting with New York Progressives such as activists Louis Will, Homer D Call and Walter M Chandler, as well as Lt Governor Timothy L Woodruff.

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:01 am

[Woodrow Wilson Campaign Stop #6]
Frankfurt, Kentucky

Wilson had found himself in the entrance of the South, Kentucky. Wilson wanted to build up his support in the South, particularly those States who are in the fence. In his venture in Frankfurt, Wilson met with newly elected governor James B. McCreary in hopes of getting his support for the convention. After Wilson’s meeting, he managed to secure his endorsement in exchange for helping with many more progressive reforms in the federal level. At the same time, Wilson also met with Senator Thomas H. Paynter as well, even though he was not seeking re-election in the Senate. Although he didn’t managed to get an endorsement, the two men talked about many issues Kentuckians were facing. Woodrow Wilson had hoped that these two great men would allow for him to carry the State in the primaries, and hopefully the election as well.

At his rally in Frankfurt, he talked about how working conditions in the coal mines should be improved, and how workers pensions should increase for those who were injured in the mines. This got a thunderous applause from the audience, and Wilson knew that this would help his chances in winning the State. Also, he realized that the miners of West Virginia would be rather fond of his speech on labor rights and pensions.

[Woodrow Wilson Campaign Stop #7]
St. Louis, Missouri

He arrived at the seat of where Champ Clark kept his influence. Even though he wasn’t campaigning as much as Wilson, he still had a significant base behind him. His rally did attract much support, but not as much as Camp Clark. Still, Wilson met with Missouri Senators James Reed and William Stone about issues regarding those in Missouri. However, he was unable to get the endorsement of either Senator, but they did agree to support Wilson if after he had won the primaries. Even though Wilson was unable to gain the official endorsement of the two Senators, he did get the endorsement of Missouri Representative James Tilghman Lloyd, who wanted protection for those on strike.

[Woodrow Wilson Campaign Stop #8]
Omaha, Nebraska

Wilson took a detour from his scheduled campaign tour to visit the State of Nebraska. There, Wilson met with 3-time Presidential Candidate William Jennings Bryan. The two progressives met at a dinner party to discuss issues mattering the upcoming Convention in Baltimore; they have much in common and Wilson’s track record as being a consistently progressive governor of New Jersey has many wondering whether Bryan will support Wilson. When Wilson left the State to head to Houston, Bryan started that he would “consider supporting Governor Wilson, but nothing is a certainty yet.”

2. Hartford, Connecticut
4. Cleveland, Ohio
5. Indianapolis, Indiana
6. Frankfurt, Kentucky
7. St. Louis, Missouri
8. Omaha, Nebraska

9. Austin, Texas
10. New Orleans, Louisiana
11. Little Rock, Arkansas
12. Jackson Mississippi
13. Montgomery, Alabama
14. Atlanta, Georgia
15. Richmond, Virginia
16. Baltimore Maryland

(Note: the schedule has be altered in accordance with a new route with the meeting in Omaha)
Last edited by Valtrona on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Official delegate count (266 needed to win)

Roosevelt: 218
Anyone but Roosevelt (Taft for now): 213
Undecided: 100

Official Delegate Count (266 needed to win)
Clark: 167
Wilson: 167
Marshall: 15
Undecided: 182

Notes: The anti-Roosevelt forces have vowed to fight on at the convention, but it will be a difficult fight. The forces of Tammany Hall swung the New York primary and delegation over to Champ Clark, which puts a powerful ally in his corner, but also makes progressives take notice of who is backing Clark.

The Republican Convention is held in Chicago and the Democratic Convention in Baltimore. At both conventions, the chair instructs nominations to be made. At the Republican one, the name of President Taft is entered and a nominating speech is made. The chair at both conventions awaits the next nominating speech or speeches.

Champions

Runners-up

3rd Place

4th Place

Quarterfinals

Hosted

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:22 pm

[Woodrow Wilson Campaign Stop #9]
Austin, Texas

Wilson arrived in Austin Texas to host a major rally. In the heart of the South, Wilson gave a speech that managed to appeal to both the more conservative and progressive wings of the Democratic Party in Texas. Wilson promised that the rights and protections of farmers would be secure. Wilson also promised aid to poor farmers who were at risk for bankruptcy and starving. This gathered a large crowd and a thunderous applause from the audience of Austin Texas. Wilson met with Governor Oscar Branch Colquitt to discuss issues facing the State. Mayor Alexander Penn Wooldridge of Austin, Texas was also present at the meeting. While Mayor Wooldridge agreed to endorse Wilson, Governor Colquitt agreed to support Wilson in the primaries, but didn’t give his office endorsement as of yet.

Houston, Texas

Wilson met with Texas Senator Charles Allen Culberson, as Senator Joseph Weldon Bailey refused to attend the meeting. Like most, Senator Culberson agreed to support Wilson in the primaries, but will not endorse him until after the Convention. While present at Houston, Wilson gave a small rally at town hall. He gave a speech similar to the one before, where he promised to protect the rights of farmers and Texas families.

[Woodrow Wilson Campaign Stop #10]
New Orleans, Louisiana

As Wilson arrived in the city of New Orleans, he was greeted with much applause. As he was the only major Democratic Candidate currently campaigning on a massive scale, many people have turned to him for the nomination. The Mayor of Louisiana, Martin Behrman, agreed to endorse Woodrow Wilson as long as he would also support his re-election in the coming years. Wilson also met with Governor Jared Sanders, and even though Wilson didn’t secure his endorsement, Wilson did discuss many issues that face Louisianan’s. However, Senator John Thornton agreed to endorse Wilson in the primaries for a position in the federal government once Wilson was elected.

Unfortunately, the Convention had just begun, so Wilson was to cut his initial campaigning and head to Baltimore, Maryland for his nomination. However, it’s unclear as to who will give the nominating speech for Wilson.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:57 pm

1912 Republican Convention

Roosevelt's plan to seize delegates revolved around his cabinet

George Clement Perkins was a longstanding Conservative California Senator in a state that was trending progressive and overwhelmingly supported Roosevelt. He would use this crosssection to make a crack in the Conservative opposition against him, he had already offered the position of Secretary of the Treasury to Perkins back in California. It would not only give him a foothold with Conservatives but demonstrate to Conservatives that he was willing to play nice with business as Perkins was famously business friendly and SoT was a major economic position.

Albert B Cummins was a former governor of Iowa and their current Senator, many considered him a potential compromise candidate between the Conservatives and the Progressives in the Party. Roosevelt's focus on Iowa and personal meetings with him on the campaign trail had solicited Cummins for a position as Secretary of Agriculture, this would help him in the plains states and help satisfy the moderates in the party looking to heal wounds between Progressives and Conservatives.

Edwin Sydney Stuart, former mayor of Philadelphia and until recently popular progressive governor of Pennsylvania. His Progressive accolades and accomplishments couldn't be argued with, nor his focus on workers rights. As such he was the ideal choice to become Secretary of Labor and Commerce to advocate for the rights of labor in the nation.

Finally a masterstroke. Roosevelt had the advantage in the two largest states in the union, New York and Pennsylvania, while Taft had the edge in Illinois, Ohio, Texas, and Massachusetts. The Single largest state that was in neither column at this point was Missouri with 36 delegates. Roosevelt had made a point of campaigning in Missouri and making a connection with Governor Herbert S Hadley. Hadley would be offered the position of Attorney General. Hadley was extremely popular in his home state which was extremely democratic, in addition he was a progressive who successfully prosecuted a case against standard oil as AG of Missouri. He was an excellent choice for the position that might win him over the Missouri delegates.

But who to nominate him... Theodore Roosevelt more than anything else wanted to unite the party so decided to go with the moderate and popular Senator Albert Cummins to deliver the speech.

Greater Arab State
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:07 pm

1912 Democratic Convention, Baltimore, Maryland

Champ Clark, in an attempt to campaign against the tide of progressivism in the Democratic party to step back from campaigning for the presidency and allow his supporters to do so. Upon hearing of the Democratic convention's location, Champ Clark proceeded to Baltimore and then made the decision as to which ally to deliver the convention speech. After some consideration regarding potential candidates for the role, Clark settled on Senator James Paul Clark of Arkansas in order to increase support from the Southern states at the convention and to further emphasise his support for Senators to continue to be elected by their respective state legislatures.
Moggmentum
Trump 2024
This nation does not represent my political views.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse