NATION

PASSWORD

The Union of Nations [NWI Only|IC]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The Union of Nations
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

The Union of Nations [NWI Only|IC]

Postby The Union of Nations » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:04 pm

The Union of Nations

Meeting Place of The Union of Nations – Varvarin, Ferasichi

The Union of Nations is a collective body of countries that formed around 2138. The organization contains many nations that span the entire globe, and its international law is highly regarded.

The UN contains two chambers – the Union Assembly (UA) and the Security Council (SC). The Union Assembly contains all member-states and votes on resolutions aimed at improving the world as they see fit, while only addressing issues not tackled by the Security Council.

The aforementioned Security Council, on the other hand, only focuses on armaments, potential UN Peacekeeper involvement, and other security issues. It houses nine total seats; four are permanent and five are rotating.

At Vote

None

In Debate

No proposals in debate.

Union Assembly Docket

Union Security Council Docket

None

OOC Notes

Co-OPs: Karteria, Achipel, Volirum, Kronshtadt, and Luraqau

The Union of Nations is a puppet of Karteria. If you have any questions, telegram Karteria first.

Thread Rules
  • Must follow site rules
  • Must follow standard forum rules
  • Respect the OP and Co-OPs authority – we have the right to ban nations from posting on the forum if they are spamming, trolling, and/or are not from the New West Indies
  • Out-of-character questions and conversations should be made on the RMB or by telegram – explicit OOC statements can be made separate from the IC parts of the posts, but should be limited and only for clarification purposes
Voting Procedure
  • Any resolution, to be put on the docket, must be telegrammed to The Union of Nations for submission or posted on this thread, most preferably as a link to a separate dispatch.
  • Each resolution will be voted upon for 48 hours (using a poll on this thread)
  • Resolutions should follow the same general template detailed in the respective link below; the full text should be posted in this thread

References: ✵ UN CharterAll UN ActionsPassed ResolutionsRepealed ResolutionsResolution Templates
| Regional Roleplay Guidelines | Current Roleplay Information | World Maps | International Incidents Rules Forum |
Last edited by The Union of Nations on Fri May 24, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 28 times in total.
This nation is run by Karteria.

The Union of Nations
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Important Information

Postby The Union of Nations » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:04 pm

Reserved.
Last edited by The Union of Nations on Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:19 am, edited 11 times in total.

Cymiopolis
Lobbyist

Founded: May 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cymiopolis » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:00 pm

Cymiopolis would be interested in becoming part of the Security Council during the next rotation

The Union of Nations
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Nations » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Cymiopolis wrote:Cymiopolis would be interested in becoming part of the Security Council during the next rotation

"Unfortunately, the five rotating seats are chosen at random. But every nation is guaranteed at least one spot before the cycle begins again.

OOC: The next rotation will commence in three days.

Cloney
Attaché

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cloney » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:12 pm

The Republic of Cloney would like to join the union as a superpower and nuclear state
A militaristic, high-tech nation with an emphasis on cloning technology. I do not use NS stats.

Karteria
Envoy

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:14 pm

Cloney wrote:The Republic of Cloney would like to join the union as a superpower and nuclear state

OP Message: While I'm glad that you're interested, you must be in the New West Indies region to post on this thread. Please do not post here again unless you join our region.
Last edited by Karteria on Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Assembly Delegate for the New West Indies region.

The Union of Nations
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

New Security Council Rotation

Postby The Union of Nations » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:30 pm

The new rotation of the security council has been selected. Farechia, Luraqau, New Zealand, Taiwan, and Volirum now have temporary seats.

Bhutan, Switzerland, and Tibet have also joined the Union of Nations, while Cascadia and Caucusia had referendums in which their people voted against joining the UN.

Kronshtadt
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 27, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Draft Resolution: Open Skys

Postby Kronshtadt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:59 pm

Author: Kronshtadt
Sponsors and Signatories: Comment below!
Category: Legislation
Affects: Aerospace

Knowing space as the final frontier for humankind,

Understanding our thirst for knowledge and our relative lack of it outside our world,

Realizing the diplomatic and cultural significance of nations unifying to achieve a common goal,

Emphasizing the importance of new astronomical discoveries and scientific advancement,

The United Nations Security Council,

Hereby establishes the Union of Nations Space Command, herein defined as the UNSC.

(1) The UNSC will be a separate entity within the Union of Nations but falls under the guise and authority of the Union Assembly and Security Council when concerning issues on the Earth's surface or other specifically described situations.

(2) Upon approval by the Security Council, the UNSC is authorized to utilize UN Peacekeepers in space as necessary;
a. All provisions of UAR#1 apply to UN Peacekeepers while in space.
b. Any Peacekeepers being utilized by the UNSC are encouraged to be trained in space flight and other necessary space training.

(3) The Scientific Research and Development Department, herein defined as the SRDD, shall be established within the UNSC as the backbone of UN astronomical research and scientific discovery in space, and shall state its main goals to the UNSC once established, such pursuing the discovery of extraterrestrial life, analyzing geologic and chemical makeups of extraterrestrial bodies, etc.

(4) The UNSC is heavily encouraged not to militarize space in any form except when sec. 2 and sec. 5 of this resolution are in effect.

(5) In the event that the survival of the human species is in jeopardy due to an extraterrestrial threat, the Sapien Protocol shall be enforced. While this protocol is in effect:
a. The UNSC shall be granted access to the UN Peace Corps, which may be utilized with complete military authority.
b. The UNSC shall be granted access to any UN member state's space forces as it sees fit.
c. Sec. 1 of this resolution shall be rendered null and void.

(6) The UNSC shall be granted access to muster a military of its own that will serve in the interests of the UN; but, more importantly, that military shall pursue our survival at all costs.

(7) Calls upon the UNSC to convene within one month of a Member State claiming an interstellar body to:
a. Confirm or deny claims of interstellar bodies including but not limited to:
i) planets
ii) gas giants
iii) dwarf planets
iv) asteroid belts
v) gaseous anomalies or nebulas

(8) Member States may only claim interstellar bodies they have:
a. landed on for solid planets
b. orbited for 3 days for gaseous bodies

(9) Denies the right to claim Stars, Black Holes, or entire systems consisting of more than 3 non-dwarf planets.

(10) Reaffirms the premise that nations may only claim one classed body previously defines until their claim is decided upon by the UN SC.

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:34 pm

Kronshtadt wrote:Author: Kronshtadt
*snip*

Herald Palenque, the UN Ambassador for Karteria, stumbles into the room, shirt slightly stained with coffee splatter. His hair is mangled and his belt is a little too loose to be professional.

"Oh god... are we finally deliberating? It's about damn time! Let me get sorted out in the bathroom for a minute."

He races down the hall. A little surprised, Karteria's deputy ambassador, Caroline Isringhausen, rises.

"Um... the Karterian delegation would like to sponsor this proposal, as it is a necessary regulation of astronomical claims and a gateway to new research. We also hope that we will be recognized as a Co-Author, considering that we contributed much in drafting. Also, I may be losing my marbles... but did you write 'United Nations' at some point? That surely needs to be fixed."

With that, she sits back down, obviously befuddled by her superior's sudden departure.
Last edited by Karteria on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kronshtadt
Lobbyist

Postby Kronshtadt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:35 pm

Karteria wrote:
*snip*

Herald Palenque, the UN Ambassador for Karteria, stumbles into the room, shirt slightly stained with coffee splatter. His hair is mangled and his belt is a little too loose to be professional.

"Oh god... are we finally deliberating? It's about damn time! Let me get sorted out in the bathroom for a minute."

He races down the hall. A little surprised, Karteria's deputy ambassador, Caroline Isringhausen, rises.

"Um... the Karterian delegation would like to sponsor this proposal, as it is a necessary regulation of astronomical claims and a gateway to new research. We also hope that we will be recognized as a Co-Author, considering that we contributed much in drafting. Also, I may be losing my marbles... but did you write 'United Nations' at some point? That surely needs to be fixed."

With that, she sits back down, obviously befuddled by her superior's sudden departure.

Lady Jean Nevsky, the Kronshtadtian UN Ambassador, raises her placard to be called upon.

Yes Deputy Ambassador Isringhausen, as your nation tabled this topic long ago, we will gladly rightly place you as a co-author. I also believe you have not lost your marbles, as a translation error from Russian to English caused the Union of Nations to be called the United Nations. I am handing out revised copies now.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1178952
Last edited by Kronshtadt on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 am

Kronshtadt wrote:
Karteria wrote:Herald Palenque, the UN Ambassador for Karteria, stumbles into the room, shirt slightly stained with coffee splatter. His hair is mangled and his belt is a little too loose to be professional.

Lady Jean Nevsky, the Kronshtadtian UN Ambassador, raises her placard to be called upon.

Yes Deputy Ambassador Isringhausen, as your nation tabled this topic long ago, we will gladly rightly place you as a co-author. I also believe you have not lost your marbles, as a translation error from Russian to English caused the Union of Nations to be called the United Nations. I am handing out revised copies now.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1178952

Palenque returns, hair slicked back more than necessary and belt as tight as can be.

"Alright – I'm ready to begin! Looking at the new resolution, there are at least a few more changes that should be made. To avoid confusion with the Union of Nations Space Command, I would change 'UN SC' to 'Security Council' or 'Union Security Council,' for starters. Also, sec. 6 is... confusing. Should that be in the previous section underneath?

Finally – we understand that there may be a concern with claiming celestial bodies, but we believe that nations will attempt to do this no matter what, and the UN should regulate the matter rather than completely ban it. Good work."

OOC: When I made the original draft for this, it wasn't as organized as it should have been. I would suggest using this format to clean it up a little:

Code: Select all
[list=I][*]Calls upon the UNSC to convene within one month of a Member State claiming an interstellar body to:
[list=i][*]Confirm or deny claims of interstellar bodies including but not limited to:
[list=a][*]planets
[*]gas giants
[*]dwarf planets
[*]asteroid belts
[*]gaseous anomalies or nebulas[/list][/list][/list]
Last edited by Karteria on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruslans
Civilian

Founded: Oct 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruslans » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:41 am

Can I suggest we not try to terraform any planets or moon, as not to possibly kill any lifeform that may be living on the planets?

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:13 pm

Ruslans wrote:Can I suggest we not try to terraform any planets or moon, as not to possibly kill any lifeform that may be living on the planets?

Palenque raises his placard to speak.

"Ahem. To begin, I just now realized that we've never formally congratulated Ruslans on joining the Union of Nations! A happy welcome to you all.

Secondly, their delegation brings up a good point. While terraforming is not exactly practical given the world's technological capabilities, and we aren't sure if it's quite possible yet, we should add a clause that, at the very least, restricts its usage until its side-effects has been fully realized."

Shakadia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Shakadia » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:23 pm

while we agree that we shouldn't terraform entire planets, i say we should be allowed to terraform small parts of planets to be able to host human life with minimal danger

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:51 pm

Shakadia wrote:while we agree that we shouldn't terraform entire planets, i say we should be allowed to terraform small parts of planets to be able to host human life with minimal danger

"We concur. Regulation on such a technology is better suited than an outright ban. However, the reasoning of Ruslans's argument still has merit; we should take much care when dabbling in such god-like powers, assuming terraforming in the current science-fiction sense."

New Sistonia
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sistonia » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Knowing space as the final frontier for humankind,

Understanding our thirst for knowledge and our relative lack of it outside our world,

Realizing the diplomatic and cultural significance of nations unifying to achieve a common goal,

Emphasizing the importance of new astronomical discoveries and scientific advancement,

The United Nations Security Council,

Hereby establishes the Union of Nations Space Command, herein defined as the UNSC.

(1) The UNSC will be a separate entity within the Union of Nations but falls under the guise and authority of the Union Assembly and Security Council when concerning issues on the Earth's surface or other specifically described situations.

(2) Upon approval by the Security Council, the UNSC is authorized to utilize UN Peacekeepers in space as necessary;
a. All provisions of UAR#1 apply to UN Peacekeepers while in space.
b. Any Peacekeepers being utilized by the UNSC are encouraged to be trained in space flight and other necessary space training.

(3) The Scientific Research and Development Department, herein defined as the SRDD, shall be established within the UNSC as the backbone of UN astronomical research and scientific discovery in space, and shall state its main goals to the UNSC once established, such pursuing the discovery of extraterrestrial life, analyzing geologic and chemical makeups of extraterrestrial bodies, etc.

(4) The UNSC is heavily encouraged not to militarize space in any form except when sec. 2 and sec. 5 of this resolution are in effect.

(5) In the event that the survival of the human species is in jeopardy due to an extraterrestrial threat, the Sapien Protocol shall be enforced. While this protocol is in effect:
a. The UNSC shall be granted access to the UN Peace Corps, which may be utilized with complete military authority.
b. The UNSC shall be granted access to any UN member state's space forces as it sees fit.
c. Sec. 1 of this resolution shall be rendered null and void.

(6) The UNSC shall be granted access to muster a military of its own that will serve in the interests of the UN; but, more importantly, that military shall pursue our survival at all costs.

(7) Calls upon the UNSC to convene within one month of a Member State claiming an interstellar body to:
a. Confirm or deny claims of interstellar bodies including but not limited to:
i) planets
ii) gas giants
iii) dwarf planets
iv) asteroid belts
v) gaseous anomalies or nebulas

(8) Member States may only claim interstellar bodies they have:
a. landed on for solid planets
b. orbited for 3 days for gaseous bodies

(9) Denies the right to claim Stars, Black Holes, or entire systems consisting of more than 3 non-dwarf planets.

(10) Reaffirms the premise that nations may only claim one classed body previously defines until their claim is decided upon by the UN SC.

Page Boleslav raises her placard to speak.

"While we commend the Karterian and Kronshtadt delegations for putting forth such legislation to be passed, but we have some concerns that the Sistonian delegation discovered. Firstly, there is technically no Security Council within the Union of Nations as no amendment was passed and then added to the original charter, thus that should be our first priority here. While it is not necessary or proper to amend our original charter, as they already exist as resolutions, we suggest that a form of bylaws be created for the professionalism that this organization represents. In order to formally create the Assembly and Security Council."

Takes a sip of water

"Then, with the legislation proposed...well, after we sort out the Security Council issue, we also have some points we would like to bring up with the authors of the proposed piece of legislation. Firstly, we see no need to have the Security Council recognize claims but rather the Union of Nations should bear that responsibility, rather than the council that is to promote safety and peace instead of legislation. We also are worried about Section 2 and Section 5, well primarily Section 5. How should the UNSC maintain a force sizable enough to hold off a threat? This refers to Section 4 and I quote, The UNSC is heavily encouraged not to militarize space in any form except when sec. 2 and sec. 5 of this resolution are in effect."

Takes another sip of water

"However, we feel that this secondary space race should be put on the back burner and we sort out the issues of the Union of Nations before delving into issues that could drag on for some time. Thank you"

Takes her seat
Last edited by New Sistonia on Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:48 pm

New Sistonia wrote:
"While we commend the Karterian and Kronshtadt delegations for putting forth such legislation to be passed, but we have some concerns that the Sistonian delegation discovered. Firstly, there is technically no Security Council within the Union of Nations as no amendment was passed and then added to the original charter, thus that should be our first priority here. While it is not necessary or proper to amend our original charter, as they already exist as resolutions, we suggest that a form of bylaws be created for the professionalism that this organization represents. In order to formally create the Assembly and Security Council."

"Then, with the legislation proposed...well, after we sort out the Security Council issue, we also have some points we would like to bring up with the authors of the proposed piece of legislation. Firstly, we see no need to have the Security Council recognize claims but rather the Union of Nations should bear that responsibility, rather than the council that is to promote safety and peace instead of legislation. We also are worried about Section 2 and Section 5, well primarily Section 5. How should the UNSC maintain a force sizable enough to hold off a threat? This refers to Section 4 and I quote, The UNSC is heavily encouraged not to militarize space in any form except when sec. 2 and sec. 5 of this resolution are in effect."

"However, we feel that this secondary space race should be put on the back burner and we sort out the issues of the Union of Nations before delving into issues that could drag on for some time. Thank you"

"As a founding member of the Union of Nations, you surely understand its protocol and authority. Its 'bylaws,' as you say, are the resolutions themselves! They have the force of international law, and the fundamental proceedings of this body can be changed if repeals or new resolutions are passed. We believe your proposition is unnecessary, as the two different chambers are already functioning as intended.

As far as your argument on the resolution at hand, you bring up an effective point about enforcement. While we wish otherwise, if we let the UNSC militarize without a good cause, such as the threat of human extinction, then other nations are likely to follow suit. It is better that member-nations, especially of the Security Council itself, enforce the UN's resolutions."

Palenque sits back down. The coffee stain still hasn't worn off, so he asks his deputy to get him a new shirt.
Last edited by Karteria on Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luraqau
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Luraqau » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:23 pm

Shakadia wrote:while we agree that we shouldn't terraform entire planets, i say we should be allowed to terraform small parts of planets to be able to host human life with minimal danger

Host human life is what hab units are for. Terraformation should be banned if you ask me
Last edited by Luraqau on Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:32 pm

Luraqau wrote:

Host human life is what hab units are for. Terraformation should be banned if you ask me

"While we understand the concern, nations should be open to the idea nonetheless, if it were possible. It should be done with care, research, and patient development, only being used when necessary-"

Deputy Isringhausen abruptly returns with his new shirt.

"Oh, I gotta take a short break. I'll be right back!" He speed-walks to the bathroom.

Kronshtadt
Lobbyist

Postby Kronshtadt » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:01 am

Ambassador Jean Nevsky raises her placard to speak.

"We agree with the Karterian Ambassador that while terraforming is not preferred, we should be able to change small, isolated areas after careful land surveys, as we do that on earth like when constructing new docks and ports.

On that note, I suggest an amendment to the resolution that addresses this concern, added at the end of the document as follows:

11) Allows terraforming areas of no greater than 9 sq km after following the outlined procedures of:
A. Conducting extensive geological and ecological surveys.
B. Analyzing atmospheric effects of a terraforming operation.
C. Apply for a Terraforming Grant from the UN.

We also wish to address the New Sistonian Delegation's issue with Section 4. Section 4 was added incase another event such as the Alien Intrusion happens again, but it can be struck from the Draft Resolution.

Thank you"

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:51 am

Kronshtadt wrote:Ambassador Jean Nevsky raises her placard to speak.

"We agree with the Karterian Ambassador that while terraforming is not preferred, we should be able to change small, isolated areas after careful land surveys, as we do that on earth like when constructing new docks and ports.

On that note, I suggest an amendment to the resolution that addresses this concern, added at the end of the document as follows:

11) Allows terraforming areas of no greater than 9 sq km after following the outlined procedures of:

We also wish to address the New Sistonian Delegation's issue with Section 4. Section 4 was added incase another event such as the Alien Intrusion happens again, but it can be struck from the Draft Resolution.

Thank you"

Deputy Isringhausen speaks in place of Palenque, who takes way too long in the bathroom.

“This is a good addition and addresses the issue adequately. We would like to remind the Kronshtadt delegation that they may edit their draft as they please, and can inform us of any major additions afterwards.”

OOC: You should probably edit the dispatch instead of where you posted the draft in this thread. I have the dispatch linked in the original post above.

New Sistonia
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sistonia » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:06 pm

Thank you"

“We ask that the Kronstadt Delegation elaborate as you didn’t answer our question. We already know of the purpose of Section 4, what we do not know is how you intend to have a force to repel such invasion if the UNSC is not meant to militarize uless said catastrophe occurs. Because at that time it may already be too late. Thank you”

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:43 pm

New Sistonia wrote:

Thank you"

“We ask that the Kronstadt Delegation elaborate as you didn’t answer our question. We already know of the purpose of Section 4, what we do not know is how you intend to have a force to repel such invasion if the UNSC is not meant to militarize uless said catastrophe occurs. Because at that time it may already be too late. Thank you”

Palenque returns in earnest, eager to get back to the action.

"Whew! Glad I finally got a shirt without a coffee stain on it. We Karterians love our coffee so much that we like to wear it too!"

A few chuckles can be heard throughout the chamber.

"Anyway, we understand the concern from New Sistonia that the UN will not be adequately prepared for threats if it has to wait until such threats to arrive in order to mobilize. Therefore, we propose that the UN should be allowed to establish a permanent space peacekeeper force within the UN Peacekeeper Corps, that will intervene in any conflicts that arise on other celestial bodies or in space itself as necessary. Ships can be manufactured by private companies sanctioned by the UN or by nations themselves, and such ships will only be utilized by the UN.

The clauses in question within the proposal should be amended to reflect such."

Cymiopolis
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Cymiopolis » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:30 pm

As far as Cymiopolis is concerned, we think space-faring nations should have the ability to claim asteroids for mining purposes and to build domed village-sized structures that can be terraformed for colonization/scientific research.

-Spyridon Kastrogenos,
Cymiopolitan UN Delegate
Last edited by Cymiopolis on Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:00 pm

Cymiopolis wrote:As far as Cymiopolis is concerned, we think space-faring nations should have the ability to claim asteroids for mining purposes and to build domed village-sized structures that can be terraformed for colonization/scientific research.

-Spyridon Kastrogenos,
Cymiopolitan UN Delegate

"We understand the desire for mining and scientific research. We would like to qualify the Cymiopolitan delegation's request by specifying that claimants should also be required, if they are to claim territory for research, to share such information with the Union of Nations so that every nation may benefit from new discoveries."

OOC: This resolution shall be debated for a few more days, but once edits have been made, it shall go to vote in this thread (not the regional poll).

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents