NATION

PASSWORD

Should There Be A Right To Discriminate?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
San Lumen
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26276
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Should There Be A Right To Discriminate?

Postby San Lumen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:35 am

Recently I have seen comments and heard several politicians say there ought to be a right to discriminate by privately owned business of which the rationale I dont understand

According to some the Civil Rights Act and anti discrimination laws should apply only to government owned business or essential services like a hotel, that it is the owners right to choose who they do business with or who they hire.

Where in the constitution is this alleged right?

No one should face discrimination simply because of what they look like or because they are LGBT. Everyone is equal under the law and deserves to be treated equally .

If you want to discriminate then open a private club though I dont think even a business like Costco would be able to get away with only allowing certain groups of people to shop there. If your open to the public you serve all or none at all.

What say you NSG? Should there be a right to discriminate?
Last edited by San Lumen on Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Sperio
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 150
Founded: May 24, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Sperio » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38 am

NO. Discrimination is not nor will ever be a right
Bow to the nuke gods

User avatar
Grinning Dragon
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5627
Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:41 am

Yes, freedom of association and all that.
I prefer Dangerous Freedom over peaceful slavery! Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Gun-Control is the belief that declawing the cat will protect it against other animals; also why are anti-gun people so violent?
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery!
Socialism- the herpes of economic systems.
My Constitutional Rights trump your dead. Proud American infidel since the 1970's-Deus Vult
The made up term "toxic masculinity" is founded on nonsense psychologism

User avatar
San Lumen
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26276
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby San Lumen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:41 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:Yes, freedom of association and all that.


Where in the Constitution is this freedom of association and why has no court recognized it?

User avatar
Tornado Queendom
Envoy
 
Posts: 219
Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:41 am

Actually, there SHOULD be a right. Discrimination almost always counts as free speech, and banning Discrimination will lead to the slow death of free speech. Why? Because there is no end! The left will keep moving the goalpost, and eventually, anything even remotely edgy (example: The WWE's Attitude and Ruthless Aggression eras) would be banned. We should deal with discrimination in a different way.
IC Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
If I'm not on Nationstates [on either this account or one of my other puppets], you can usually find me in Worms Armageddon under the name "SpyVsSpyFan" [which I have yet to change] (If I'm not there, I'm usually either at school or asleep.).
Worms Armageddon 3.8 is coming soon, in case you're wondering

User avatar
Tornado Queendom
Envoy
 
Posts: 219
Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:42 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:Yes, freedom of association and all that.

I agree TBH
IC Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
If I'm not on Nationstates [on either this account or one of my other puppets], you can usually find me in Worms Armageddon under the name "SpyVsSpyFan" [which I have yet to change] (If I'm not there, I'm usually either at school or asleep.).
Worms Armageddon 3.8 is coming soon, in case you're wondering

User avatar
Estanglia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1563
Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Estanglia » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:43 am

San Lumen wrote:Recently I have seen comments and heard several politicians say there ought to be a right to discriminate by privately owned business of which the rationale I dont understand

According to some the Civil Rights Act and anti discrimination laws should apply only to government owned business or essential services like a hotel, that it is the owners right to choose who they do business with or who they hire.

Where the constitution is this alleged right?


A right doesn't need to be in the constitution to be a right.


No one should face discrimination simply because of what they look like or because they are LGBT. Everyone is equal under the law and deserves to be treated equally .

If you want to discriminate then open a private club though I dont think even a business like Costco would be able to get away with only allowing certain groups of people to shop there. If your open to the public you serve all or none at all.

What say you NSG? Should there be a right to discriminate?


If your business isn't funded by the government or isn't an essential service, then yes. You should be able to choose who you do and don't serve or hire.
I cycle through flags to justify their position on my hard drive.
I don't use NS stats for RP because I don't RP.
Thank you for obeying the spoiler.
Unfortunately, this is pointless.

User avatar
Vaxian Imperium
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 52
Founded: Feb 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaxian Imperium » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:43 am

Yes there should be in my opinion.
NS stats are not used

User avatar
Tornado Queendom
Envoy
 
Posts: 219
Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:44 am

Vaxian Imperium wrote:Yes there should be in my opinion.

I agree, because the alternative would be everything edgier than Care Bears (Which sucks IMO) being illegal.
Last edited by Tornado Queendom on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
If I'm not on Nationstates [on either this account or one of my other puppets], you can usually find me in Worms Armageddon under the name "SpyVsSpyFan" [which I have yet to change] (If I'm not there, I'm usually either at school or asleep.).
Worms Armageddon 3.8 is coming soon, in case you're wondering

User avatar
San Lumen
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26276
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby San Lumen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:44 am

Estanglia wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Recently I have seen comments and heard several politicians say there ought to be a right to discriminate by privately owned business of which the rationale I dont understand

According to some the Civil Rights Act and anti discrimination laws should apply only to government owned business or essential services like a hotel, that it is the owners right to choose who they do business with or who they hire.

Where the constitution is this alleged right?


A right doesn't need to be in the constitution to be a right.


No one should face discrimination simply because of what they look like or because they are LGBT. Everyone is equal under the law and deserves to be treated equally .

If you want to discriminate then open a private club though I dont think even a business like Costco would be able to get away with only allowing certain groups of people to shop there. If your open to the public you serve all or none at all.

What say you NSG? Should there be a right to discriminate?


If your business isn't funded by the government or isn't an essential service, then yes. You should be able to choose who you do and don't serve or hire.


There needs to be a basis in law. Why has no court ruled this right exists?

Why would a whites only restaurant or only whites need apply be ok?

User avatar
San Lumen
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26276
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby San Lumen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:45 am

Vaxian Imperium wrote:Yes there should be in my opinion.

why?

User avatar
Vaxian Imperium
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 52
Founded: Feb 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaxian Imperium » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:46 am

San Lumen wrote:
Estanglia wrote:
A right doesn't need to be in the constitution to be a right.




If your business isn't funded by the government or isn't an essential service, then yes. You should be able to choose who you do and don't serve or hire.


There needs to be a basis in law. Why has no court ruled this right exists?

Why would a whites only restaurant or only whites need apply be ok?


Some people feel more comfortable among members of their own race.
NS stats are not used

User avatar
Tornado Queendom
Envoy
 
Posts: 219
Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:46 am

San Lumen wrote:
Estanglia wrote:
A right doesn't need to be in the constitution to be a right.




If your business isn't funded by the government or isn't an essential service, then yes. You should be able to choose who you do and don't serve or hire.


There needs to be a basis in law. Why has no court ruled this right exists?

Why would a whites only restaurant or only whites need apply be ok?

Because it has pushed too far, and an abolition of the discrimination ban would be an excuse for other companies to hire other races as their advantage. Besides, other companies banning discrimination would be perfect for an ad anyways. Also, some people only feel comfort from their own race.
Last edited by Tornado Queendom on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
If I'm not on Nationstates [on either this account or one of my other puppets], you can usually find me in Worms Armageddon under the name "SpyVsSpyFan" [which I have yet to change] (If I'm not there, I'm usually either at school or asleep.).
Worms Armageddon 3.8 is coming soon, in case you're wondering

User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 732
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:46 am

Not to strawman people, but if you think there should be a right to discriminate, shouldn't there also be a right to murder? A right to steal? A right to arson? All three could be justified in the name of free speech, along with several other crimes that I can't mention because this is PG-13. In fact, murder, theft and arson have a stronger case for free speech: all three have been used as forms of political protest and have a justification for being so.
Is Homosexual.
IC name is the Second British Republic
This nation is just satire. I'm an anarcho-syndicalist IRL.
10.5: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=363018
Literature and Philosophical Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... a=100&p=80
http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... =52.5&s=80
MBTI: ENTP
PolitiScales: http://politiscales.la-commune.net/en_U ... 0&comp=100
B
Apartheid Supporters Click Here!

User avatar
Salcanceacy
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 13
Founded: Nov 07, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Salcanceacy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:47 am

Its a no brainer we naturally discriminate. It's not a matter if we should be allowed to discriminate, it's where the limit is. Which these days a simple critic, warrants as disproportionate amount of backlash.

User avatar
Grinning Dragon
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5627
Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:47 am

San Lumen wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Yes, freedom of association and all that.


Where in the Constitution is this freedom of association and why has no court recognized it?

Under the 1st Amendment legally.
The Court has recognized the freedom of association.
N.A.A.C.P. v. Alabama(1958)
Boy Scouts of America v. Dale(2000)
I prefer Dangerous Freedom over peaceful slavery! Sic Semper Tyrannis!
Gun-Control is the belief that declawing the cat will protect it against other animals; also why are anti-gun people so violent?
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery!
Socialism- the herpes of economic systems.
My Constitutional Rights trump your dead. Proud American infidel since the 1970's-Deus Vult
The made up term "toxic masculinity" is founded on nonsense psychologism

User avatar
Hystaria
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 480
Founded: Jul 04, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Hystaria » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:47 am

There should be no law allowing it, or banning.

Allow its existence, until it break another s right of free speech (Dont talk, you [Enter Slur]), but let it existence for free speech.
A [Tier:9 Level:1 Type:9
Power Comparator: (see below)5.2, according to this index.

(Please quote me in forums to find your response, please, that would be nice.)
Trade with me, trade without Idelogys harming us, Money doesn't care what side you are on.
i swear my eternal service to the lasaga lord and wish to spread it to all i meet .
[spoiler= Official Allies]Bolkenia
Kowani wrote:Hystaria. They’re both edgy, but only one of them is a special kind of edgy.

I dont use NS states, I use factbooks.

User avatar
Estanglia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1563
Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Estanglia » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:47 am

San Lumen wrote:
Estanglia wrote:
A right doesn't need to be in the constitution to be a right.




If your business isn't funded by the government or isn't an essential service, then yes. You should be able to choose who you do and don't serve or hire.


There needs to be a basis in law. Why has no court ruled this right exists?


Ask the courts.

We're talking about whether there should be a right. The fact that it doesn't exist in law right now doesn't matter to whether it should exist unless you think that the law is absolute.

Why would a whites only restaurant or only whites need apply be ok?

It wouldn't.
I cycle through flags to justify their position on my hard drive.
I don't use NS stats for RP because I don't RP.
Thank you for obeying the spoiler.
Unfortunately, this is pointless.

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 93800
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 am

San Lumen wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Yes, freedom of association and all that.


Where in the Constitution is this freedom of association and why has no court recognized it?

Lots of courts have recognized it. It comes from the first amendment.
From the Google search page on the first amendment.

The First Amendment to the Constitution protects five basic freedoms: freedom of religion, freedom of speech, free- dom of the press, freedom of assembly, and freedom to petition the government. These civil liberties are the cornerstone of our democracy.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Tornado Queendom
Envoy
 
Posts: 219
Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Not to strawman people, but if you think there should be a right to discriminate, shouldn't there also be a right to murder? A right to steal? A right to arson? All three could be justified in the name of free speech, along with several other crimes that I can't mention because this is PG-13. In fact, murder, theft and arson have a stronger case for free speech: all three have been used as forms of political protest and have a justification for being so.

I actually want these three to be legal too, because it can usually be solved by fighting back anyways.
IC Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
If I'm not on Nationstates [on either this account or one of my other puppets], you can usually find me in Worms Armageddon under the name "SpyVsSpyFan" [which I have yet to change] (If I'm not there, I'm usually either at school or asleep.).
Worms Armageddon 3.8 is coming soon, in case you're wondering

User avatar
The World Capitalist Confederation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 732
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 am

Vaxian Imperium wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
There needs to be a basis in law. Why has no court ruled this right exists?

Why would a whites only restaurant or only whites need apply be ok?


Some people feel more comfortable among members of their own race.

Tornado Queendom wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
There needs to be a basis in law. Why has no court ruled this right exists?

Why would a whites only restaurant or only whites need apply be ok?

Because it has pushed too far, and an abolition of the discrimination ban would be an excuse for other companies to hire other races as their advantage. Besides, other companies banning discrimination would be perfect for an ad anyways. Also, some people only feel comfort from their own race.

And some people feel comfort if they murder or strip in public or sexually assault people. But we don't let them get away with it. We also don't let people tie themselves to buildings or squat even if they find it more comfortable. In fact, many people only feel comfortable from torture and violence. This is a very slippery slope.
Is Homosexual.
IC name is the Second British Republic
This nation is just satire. I'm an anarcho-syndicalist IRL.
10.5: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=363018
Literature and Philosophical Index: http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... a=100&p=80
http://www.dichotomytests.com/results.h ... =52.5&s=80
MBTI: ENTP
PolitiScales: http://politiscales.la-commune.net/en_U ... 0&comp=100
B
Apartheid Supporters Click Here!

User avatar
San Lumen
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26276
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby San Lumen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 am

Vaxian Imperium wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
There needs to be a basis in law. Why has no court ruled this right exists?

Why would a whites only restaurant or only whites need apply be ok?


Some people feel more comfortable among members of their own race.


And? Open a private club then. You do not have a right to pick and choose who you serve.
Grinning Dragon wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
Where in the Constitution is this freedom of association and why has no court recognized it?

Under the 1st Amendment legally.
The Court has recognized the freedom of association.
N.A.A.C.P. v. Alabama(1958)
Boy Scouts of America v. Dale(2000)


Then why not declare this right exists for all business?

User avatar
Tornado Queendom
Envoy
 
Posts: 219
Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:49 am

Hystaria wrote:There should be no law allowing it, or banning.

Allow its existence, until it break another s right of free speech (Dont talk, you [Enter Slur]), but let it existence for free speech.

This is the best option in the long run, because the point in which all discrimination is banned is the point in which feminist extremism takes over.
IC Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
If I'm not on Nationstates [on either this account or one of my other puppets], you can usually find me in Worms Armageddon under the name "SpyVsSpyFan" [which I have yet to change] (If I'm not there, I'm usually either at school or asleep.).
Worms Armageddon 3.8 is coming soon, in case you're wondering

User avatar
Estanglia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1563
Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Estanglia » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:49 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Not to strawman people, but if you think there should be a right to discriminate, shouldn't there also be a right to murder? A right to steal? A right to arson? All three could be justified in the name of free speech, along with several other crimes that I can't mention because this is PG-13. In fact, murder, theft and arson have a stronger case for free speech: all three have been used as forms of political protest and have a justification for being so.

No because they're quite different. The right to discriminate comes from the idea of Freedom of Association. Murder, arson and stealing don't fall under Freedom of Association.
I cycle through flags to justify their position on my hard drive.
I don't use NS stats for RP because I don't RP.
Thank you for obeying the spoiler.
Unfortunately, this is pointless.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 128091
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:50 am

Always love when people propose going back to a situation that, in its day, brought about exactly the thing they don't like about today.

Bring back legal discrimination? Last time discrimination was legal people got it banned. Make it legal again and people will ban it again. Duh.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him
Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot starts

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: An Alan Smithee Nation, Andsed, Astoriya, Auphelia, Beggnig, Esheaun Stroakuss, Frachen, Fukushima Shogunate, Galloism, Greater vakolicci haven, Kavagrad, Kragholm Free States, Ostroeuropa, Painisia, Pasong Tirad, Serconas, The Xenopolis Confederation, Thuzbekistan, Vassenor, YugoslavUnion

Advertisement

Remove ads