NATION

PASSWORD

Civilization VI: Gathering Storm Forum

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Civilization VI: Gathering Storm Forum

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:15 am

As far as I see, there is no discussion for Gathering Storm in General or anywhere. I’d like to see how most players look at the expansion pack. I actually haven’t gotten the game but woul love to have it.

I think that Eleanor’s bonus is an amazing bonus. I’d love to see people playing as Eleanor from France and Eleanor from England duke it out. Other than that, not much. Will add later.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

The Arks
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Arks » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:35 pm

I really like the expansion pack. The new Civilizations are really the highlight of the expansion-- the Phoenicians are my new favorite civ.

That being said, the climate change features and natural disaster features were not nearly as powerful as I hoped they'd be. The game tells you from turn 1 what tiles ill be flooded and in what order; that makes city planning much easier, and while we should be able to know that after certain technological advancements, it shouldn't be from turn 1. Also, only 3 sets of tiles will flood, so it doesn't end up having a major effect on the layout of the continent or your cities.

The flood walls from each city are also really easy and cheap to build. One 10 turn city-center building, and that city's entire coastline now has an impenetrable barrier. In my opinion, they should have required you to build flood walls for each individual tile, that way it forces you to take a strategic approach. Otherwise coastal flooding becomes an afterthought.

The natural disasters are done well, but there's not a very good variety and they don't have permanent geographical effects. You have storms, volcanoes, floods, and droughts. I wish they would have taken this further and made them more game-changing. Volcanoes shouldn't be immediately identified-- they should show up as hills or mountains, until they erupt. Floodplains shouldn't be revealed as such until the river floods. These disasters can damage your cities, but they won't destroy them (you'll never have your own Pompeii).

The game also lacks other major disasters, like tsunamis and earthquakes. The addition of these would be really cool-- imagine if a tsunami struck a coastline, expediting the coastal flooding feature? What if an earthquake suddenly struck, reducing a mountain to a hills tile and changing the strategic dynamics of your city planning?

I feel like they had a lot of really cool things they could have done, but stopped just short of greatness on most accounts. Except the new civs-- those are fantastic.
Current RPs: None

In FT RPs, my formal name is The New Federation, while Arks is my casual name (i.e. The United States is formal, whereas America is casual)
In MT RPs, my nation name is The Republic of St. Prince.

Return to Arts & Fiction