NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Hazed and Confused

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Pharcyde
Attaché

Founded: Feb 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

[Submitted] Hazed and Confused

Postby The Pharcyde » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:30 am

TITLE:

Hazed and Confused

VALIDITY:

Did not ban alcohol, did not ban fraternities in Fraternity Furor

DESCRIPTION:

The deaths of two Mu Alpha Xi pledges at @@CAPITAL@@ University has triggered a serious debate about whether hazing should be classified as a crime.

OPTION 1

"Have you seen the things on this report?" asks your visibly disgusted Minister of Justice. "Students were forced to go to the grocery store, buy cabbages, name them, and then raise the cabbages as though they were their children. Then they were blindfolded and forced to stand in traffic while being pelted with their cabbage children! At least one @@DEMONYM@@ student has died every year during hazings for the past three decades. We must criminalize hazing!"

OUTCOME:

college fraternity brothers return from study abroad programs with unexplained injuries

OPTION 2

"I became the man I am today thanks to getting good ol' fashioned hazing," writes one of your preferred college drinking buddies in an e-mail. "The people trying to criminalize 'hazing' would probably criminalize masculinity too, if you gave them the chance. You know what would be funny, and also great for society? You should make hazing mandatory for all first-year college students. Just think how tough our nation would become."

OUTCOME:

fraternity rituals across the nation usually take place in dark basements

OPTION 3

"You've got us all wrong, we didn't do nothing to these kids," insist Chad and Brad, the co-presidents of Mu Alpha Xi at @@CAPITAL@@ University. "Those idiots were standing in the middle of traffic, and we threw things at them to encourage them to run for safety. Why does everyone always assume the worst about fraternities? Maybe if you trusted us this wouldn't happen. Give us the benefit of the doubt...or at least a right to have our secret rituals remain secret. Give us our confidentiality! We'll let you know whenever things go wrong. We're responsible..."

OUTCOME:

sixteen students at @@CAPITAL@@ University have "spontaneously combusted" while "making s'mores"

OPTION 4

"As a compromise in this crazy debate, why not just require fraternities and sororities to have more supervision?" writes an impassioned parent in @@NAME@@ Today. "Until they're paying their own bills, I think our children need to be watched. Personally, I haven't been able to be with my son 24/7 since he left for college, but I've bugged his room and constantly track his whereabouts. It works wonders!"

OUTCOME:

the government sponsors sorority webcam feeds

TITLE:

Hazed and Confused

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

The deaths of two Mu Alpha Xi pledges at @@CAPITAL@@ University has triggered a serious debate about whether hazing should be classified as a crime.

OPTION 1

"Have you seen the things on this report?" asks your visibly disgusted Minister of Justice. "In addition to hazing, these fraternity brothers should be facing charges of first-degree murder. What happened to those kids was as criminal as it was preventable. Hazing should be a crime!"

OUTCOME:

a stark decrease in fraternity membership has coincided with the rapid rise of collegiate fight clubs

OPTION 2

"While this chapter of Mu Alpha Xi was clearly in the wrong, I would pump the brakes on this discussion before it gets out of hand," writes one of your preferred college drinking buddies in an e-mail. "The people trying to criminalize 'hazing' would probably criminalize masculinity too, if you gave them the chance. In my opinion, boys will be boys, and most pledging rituals aren't like Mu Alpha Xi's. Why not just permanently ban the fraternities that kill people? Ban Mu Alpha Xi from every campus in @@NAME@@!"

OUTCOME:

online orders for branding irons have increased tenfold

OPTION 3

"Now, now...as an organization, Mu Alpha Xi is committed to community engagement, philanthropy, and developing the next generation of @@DEMONYM@@ leaders," defends @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, the Director of Mu Alpha Xi's national office, during a TV interview. "We accept our share of responsibility for what happened to these two men. Having said that, @@CAPITAL@@ University deserves more criticism: Universities should be responsible for what transpires on their campuses. The justice system should hold universities accountable for student safety. "

OUTCOME:

women outnumber men on college campuses, which have become "cautious about liability"

OPTION 4

"As a compromise, why not just require fraternities to be more open about their activities?" writes one concerned parent in @@NAME@@ Today. "Fraternities are notoriously tight-lipped, and a lot of this trouble could've been avoided if it were easier for universities to stay on top of what their fraternities are doing. Universities and fraternities can cooperate...right?"

OUTCOME:

@@CAPITAL@@ University administrators have released a statement mourning six Mu Alpha Xi pledges who spontaneously combusted while making s'mores

Inspired by this horrifying incident at LSU and stories where students have died from hazing
Last edited by The Pharcyde on Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:30 am, edited 17 times in total.
Fire Republic of Pharcyde
Огненная Република Фарсайда
The Pharcyde (II Wiki · Map · Interpol)

Digedingdangdong
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Digedingdangdong » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:27 am

This is really good for a new author.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:55 am

You might wanna explain what "hazing" is
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Digedingdangdong
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Digedingdangdong » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:00 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:You might wanna explain what "hazing" is

It's that thing where you use a spray bottle to mist your plants, right? :p

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:08 pm

I think that four options (as they stand) seem like too many. Your first two are kinda similar to each other since they both ban (a kind of) hazing and your third one is more related to who carries the blame than hazing itself, which I think is it's own separate animal.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The Pharcyde
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Pharcyde » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:45 pm

Valrifell wrote:I think that four options (as they stand) seem like too many. Your first two are kinda similar to each other since they both ban (a kind of) hazing and your third one is more related to who carries the blame than hazing itself, which I think is it's own separate animal.

How many would you recommend? I narrowed it down to two choices and made it a bit clearer what hazing is.

I would like to add a third option that is more zany than the other two. Any suggestions? What I currently have is decent but I'm not super attached to it...

TITLE:

Hazed and Confused

VALIDITY:

Did not ban fraternities in Fraternity Furor

DESCRIPTION:

Recently, two @@CAPITAL@@ University were killed during a fraternity ritual where pledges were forced to stand in traffic while being pelted with cabbages. These deaths have triggered a serious debate about whether hazing should be classified as a felony.

OPTION 1

"Have you seen the things on this report?" asks your visibly disgusted Minister of Justice. "These fraternity brothers are murderers, but clearly there's a systemic cultural issue where fraternities humiliate and abuse their new members. We need to draw the line somewhere. Let's start here. In the name of basic decency, hazing should be a felony throughout @@NAME@@!"

OUTCOME:

a stark decrease in fraternity membership has coincided with the rapid rise of collegiate fight clubs

OPTION 2

"While Mu Alpha Xi was clearly in the wrong, I would pump the brakes on this discussion before it gets out of hand," writes one of your preferred college drinking buddies in an e-mail, who is also an alumni of Nu Sigma. "The people trying to criminalize 'hazing' would probably criminalize masculinity too, if you offerred them the chance. Let our boys be boys..."

OUTCOME:

OPTION 3

"You've got us all wrong, we didn't do nothing to these kids," insists Chad and Brad, the co-presidents of Mu Alpha Xi at @@CAPITAL@@ University. "Those idiots were standing in the middle of traffic, and we threw cabbages at them to encourage them to run for safety. Why does everyone always assume the worst about fraternities? Maybe if you trusted us this wouldn't happen. Give us the benefit of the doubt...or at least a right to have our secret rituals remain secret."

OUTCOME:

sixteen students at @@CAPITAL@@ University have "spontaneously combusted" while "making s'mores"
Last edited by The Pharcyde on Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:10 am

THE PHARCYDE wrote:I would like to add a third option that is more zany than the other two. Any suggestions?]

Compulsory 'hazing' for all new students? Maybe even with an effect line which makes it obvious that -- whatever the original intent might have been -- this policy is now being applied right down to the kindergarten level?

^_^
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:16 am

Good topic. This is a well-written draft. While it's thin, it's better to start thin and add stuff on rather than start as a mess and have to trim down.

Hazed and Confused

Nice.

Validity-wise I'd add that alcohol must not be banned. It's hard to imagine frat culture could exist in the absence of alcohol.

The deaths of two Mu Alpha Xi pledges at @@CAPITAL@@ University has triggered a serious debate about whether hazing should be classified as a felony.

In disagreement with others, I don't think you need to explain what hazing is. While the term is very much an American one, I think it's one with sufficient cultural penetration in various media to be globally recognisable. Likewise, you don't really have strange greek letter names for fraternities outside of the US, and for most of us, a pledge is a promise rather than a person, but it's fine for issues to be a little parochial when the concepts are globally recognisable.

A more notably American term here is "felony", as there isn't really a global term for Mu Alpha Zi, or pledges, or hazing, but there is for felonies. I'd just go with "crime".

OPTION 1

"Have you seen the things on this report?" asks your visibly disgusted Minister of Justice. "In addition to hazing, these fraternity brothers should be facing charges of first-degree murder. What happened to those kids was as criminal as it was preventable. Hazing should be a felony!"

Brevity is nice, but don't be afraid to add more length if you're adding humour or information. I think it'd be relevant to give some context here, to say that "at least one @@DEMONYM@@ student has died every year during hazings for the past three decades" (which wouldn't be an unfair representation of the US IRL). You could also find room to describe some things on the report, rather than alluding to them. Just make 'em funny!

OUTCOME:

Not bad. It's the right sort of line, in a technical sense, though I have to say it's not that funny (to me).
OPTION 2

"While this chapter of Mu Alpha Xi was clearly in the wrong, I would pump the brakes on this discussion before it gets out of hand," writes one of your preferred college drinking buddies in an e-mail. "The people trying to criminalize 'hazing' would probably criminalize masculinity too, if you gave them the chance. In my opinion, boys will be boys, and most pledging rituals aren't like Mu Alpha Xi's. Why not just permanently ban the fraternities that kill people? Ban Mu Alpha Xi from every campus in @@NAME@@!"

OUTCOME:

Not a great effect line, and I think the option would make more sense if you just made it about criminal punishment for the guilty fraternity members rather than banning the fraternity, as otherwise the day after Mu Alpha Xi is banned, Mu Beta Xi will turn up with the exact same members.

OPTION 3

"Now, now...as an organization, Mu Alpha Xi is committed to community engagement, philanthropy, and developing the next generation of @@DEMONYM@@ leaders," defends @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, the Director of Mu Alpha Xi's national office, during a TV interview. "We accept our share of responsibility for what happened to these two men. Having said that, @@CAPITAL@@ University deserves more criticism: Universities should be responsible for what transpires on their campuses. The justice system should hold universities accountable for student safety. "

OUTCOME:

women outnumber men on college campuses, which have become "cautious about liability"

I don't think this option adds any worth to the narrative save comprehensiveness, I suggest cutting it.

OPTION 4

"As a compromise, why not just require fraternities to be more open about their activities?" writes one concerned parent in @@NAME@@ Today. "Fraternities are notoriously tight-lipped, and a lot of this trouble could've been avoided if it were easier for universities to stay on top of what their fraternities are doing. Universities and fraternities can cooperate...right?"

OUTCOME:

@@CAPITAL@@ University administrators have released a statement mourning six Mu Alpha Xi pledges who spontaneously combusted while making s'mores

This option might be fun if it demanded full transparency on fraternity and sorority activities, and had an effect line along the lines of:

"the government sponsors sorority webcam feeds"
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:41 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Validity-wise I'd add that alcohol must not be banned. It's hard to imagine frat culture could exist in the absence of alcohol.
The last option on #434 bans alcohol in a way that implies fraternities could continue to exist, although the speaker might just be wrong about that. The speaker is obviously biased.

I don't really have a clue about "frat culture". Never been in one.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
The deaths of two Mu Alpha Xi pledges at @@CAPITAL@@ University has triggered a serious debate about whether hazing should be classified as a felony.
In disagreement with others, I don't think you need to explain what hazing is.
Maybe not as such, but I think it would be good to go into a little more detail about what these people were doing that led to death. "Hazing" by itself isn't any particular activity, moreso a purpose behind that activity. Adding that would also help people figure out what "hazing" is from context, without needing to patronize them by spelling it out.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:A more notably American term here is "felony", as there isn't really a global term for Mu Alpha Zi, or pledges, or hazing, but there is for felonies. I'd just go with "crime".
Huh, is it? I've seen that term so much that I never realized it's specifically American. I thought it was just a general English term.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:50 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:A more notably American term here is "felony", as there isn't really a global term for Mu Alpha Zi, or pledges, or hazing, but there is for felonies. I'd just go with "crime".
Huh, is it? I've seen that term so much that I never realized it's specifically American. I thought it was just a general English term.

The American usage was derived from British English, but after we broke away the British (and pretty much everybody else with English common law) underwent major reforms and modernization of the justice system, which happened to have got rid of that term in common usage for them. What we call a felony is called an "indictable offense" in England, Ireland, Canada, Australia, etc these days. The extreme long-term punishment we in the US have for felons (permanent loss of voting rights, being branded a "felon" for life, inability to get many licenses, legal discrimination, etc) is largely a relic of the ancient system we inherited as well, because unfortunately we never truly modernized our justice system like the rest of the western world. There's a reason our incarceration rates are so high, and are horrifying to Europeans and so many others... the system they are based in is antiquated and based in revenge rather than rehab.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:20 am

Funnily enough, I hadn't the foggiest what Hazing meant.

My cloudy misconception that it was alcohol-related was rectified by the almighty google,
but still, I had to look it up. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

The Pharcyde
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Pharcyde » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:03 pm

I updated the original post with a new draft.

If cabbages are too weird I can make it a watermelon. We raised cabbages in my frat. Mine was named Serge.
Last edited by The Pharcyde on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:56 pm

Jutsa wrote:My cloudy misconception that it was alcohol-related was rectified by the almighty google,
but still, I had to look it up. :P

I mean... In universities it often is alcohol related, and that's usually what gets shown in films and media, so you're not completely wrong there. Any sort of initiation ritual could be called hazing, especially if its main purpose is just to cause embarrassment or discomfort, but booze certainly has a large part in many of them.

One(incredibly scummy) frat at my university got itself in deep crap when they put 26 freshman in the hospital at once by secretly putting everclear in a beer bong and telling them all to drink it. Thankfully the hospital was literally across the street, and was a level II trauma center.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:12 pm

A decent issue you got here, and your writing ain't half bad. Welcome to the GI Forum! :)

TITLE:

Hazed and Confused

Nice!

Alcohol is only referenced once in this issue in Option 2. it wouldn't make much sense to restrict an entire issue to nations who banned the use of alcohol on one mention. Consider rewriting the second option without the mention of alcohol. Sense you're new I'll help you with that:

Validity: Nations who legalized alcohol use
Option 2a: "While this chapter of Mu Alpha Xi was clearly in the wrong, I would pump the brakes on this discussion before it gets out of hand." writes @@randomname@@, one of your preferred college drinking buddies in an e-mail. "The people trying to criminalize 'hazing' would probably criminalize masculinity too, if you gave them the chance. In my opinion, boys will be boys, and most fraternity rituals aren't like Mu Alpha Xi's. Wouldn't it make more sense to just punish fraternity brothers who oversee rituals that go wrong?"
Validity: Nations who banned alcohol use
Option 2b: "While this chapter of Mu Alpha Xi was clearly in the wrong, I would pump the brakes on this discussion before it gets out of hand." writes @@randomname@@, one of your preferred college buddies in an e-mail. "The people trying to criminalize 'hazing' would probably criminalize masculinity too, if you gave them the chance. In my opinion, boys will be boys, and most fraternity rituals aren't like Mu Alpha Xi's. Wouldn't it make more sense to just punish fraternity brothers who oversee rituals that go wrong?"

Or to save yourself the trouble, simply remove the reference altogether

"Have you seen the things on this report?" asks your visibly disgusted Minister of Justice. "Students were forced to go to the grocery store, buy cabbages, name them, and then raise the cabbages as though they were their children. Then they were blindfolded and forced to stand in traffic while being pelted with their cabbage children! At least one @@DEMONYM@@ student has died every year during hazings for the past three decades...but if that doesn't make you angry, think about those poor cabbages. We must criminalize hazing!"

Try shortening the dialogue here a bit and give some context on what the Justice Minister is doing or how they are acting. This is usually a good moment to add humor or a story feel to your options (as though you were writing a book). Also try making use of the @@randomname@@ macro whenever you introduce a new speaker in your options.

"While this chapter of Mu Alpha Xi was clearly in the wrong, I would pump the brakes on this discussion before it gets out of hand," writes one of your preferred college drinking buddies in an e-mail. "The people trying to criminalize 'hazing' would probably criminalize masculinity too, if you gave them the chance. In my opinion, boys will be boys, and most fraternity rituals aren't like Mu Alpha Xi's. Wouldn't it make more sense to just punish fraternity brothers who oversee rituals that go wrong?"

This one seems a little contradictory to me. The speaker says "boys will be boys" yet proposes to punish fraternity brothers.

"As a compromise, why not just require fraternities and sororities to be more open about their activities?" writes one concerned parent in @@NAME@@ Today. "We must keep an eye on them. Clearly they can't be left alone!"

Add more context toward the speaker on this.
Last edited by Socio Polor on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:52 am

I'd say that the issue needs to be for nations with alcohol only, and suggest not following the above advice.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:04 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I'd say that the issue needs to be for nations with alcohol only, and suggest not following the above advice.

You sure CWA? If this issue was discussing about alcohol I may agree with you, but seeing as though it's only referenced once in the entire issue it doesn't make much sense to restrict a good issue like this against nations who banned alcohol use
Last edited by Socio Polor on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:39 am

Purely my opinion. However my feeling is that hazing culture only exists where alcohol exists.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:05 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Purely my opinion. However my feeling is that hazing culture only exists where alcohol exists.

I see, but why did you say to not take my advice did I say something wrong?
Last edited by Socio Polor on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:09 am

Look, upthread I suggested the issue needed a validity check against alcohol not being banned.

You in turn have suggested that validity is not needed, and suggested a doppelganger option instead.

So basically, your'e disagreeing. I'm disagreeing with your disagreement.

The author can decide which way to go with this, but just bear in mind that if and when I edit this, I'll add that validity check back on.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:14 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Look, upthread I suggested the issue needed a validity check against alcohol not being banned.

You in turn have suggested that validity is not needed, and suggested a doppelganger option instead.

So basically, your'e disagreeing. I'm disagreeing with your disagreement.

The author can decide which way to go with this, but just bear in mind that if and when I edit this, I'll add that validity check back on.

Well as an editor you can do that I suppose

The Pharcyde
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Pharcyde » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Overall what do you all think of the newest draft? Should I submit it soon or does it need more work? Since it would be edited I know it doesn’t need to be perfect, but I’d like to put my best foot forward
Last edited by The Pharcyde on Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:15 am

It's looking very good.

"Have you seen the things on this report?" asks your visibly disgusted Minister of Justice. "Students were forced to go to the grocery store, buy cabbages, name them, and then raise the cabbages as though they were their children. Then they were blindfolded and forced to stand in traffic while being pelted with their cabbage children! At least one @@DEMONYM@@ student has died every year during hazings for the past three decades...but if that doesn't make you angry, think about those poor cabbages. We must criminalize hazing!"

Love the cabbage humour, but you could probably shorten this a little while retaining most of the same jokes.

OUTCOME:

a stark decrease in fraternity membership has coincided with the rapid rise of "vegetable orphanages"

This effect line makes too little sense out of context, which will be troublesome on the front page text of nations. Likely needs to change.

OPTION 2

"While this chapter of Mu Alpha Xi was clearly in the wrong, I would pump the brakes on this discussion before it gets out of hand," writes one of your preferred college drinking buddies in an e-mail. "The people trying to criminalize 'hazing' would probably criminalize masculinity too, if you gave them the chance. In my opinion, boys will be boys, and most fraternity rituals aren't like Mu Alpha Xi's. Wouldn't it make more sense to just punish fraternity brothers who oversee rituals that go wrong?"

OUTCOME:

fraternity rituals across the nation usually take place in dark basements

There's some tonal inconsistency here. Reasonable-sounding with compromise solutions people don't accuse critics of "criminalizing masculinity", basically. I'd suggest rather than dropping the phrase, instead make the speaker LESS reasonable.

OPTION 3

"You've got us all wrong, we didn't do nothing to these kids," insists Chad and Brad, the co-presidents of Mu Alpha Xi at @@CAPITAL@@ University. "Those idiots were standing in the middle of traffic, and we threw cabbages at them to encourage them to run for safety.

Don't revisit the cabbage joke, as repetition is diminishing the humour.

Why does everyone always assume the worst about fraternities? Maybe if you trusted us this wouldn't happen. Give us the benefit of the doubt...or at least a right to have our secret rituals remain secret."

"Do nothing" options are the same as the dismiss button. This option needs to do something proactively.

"As a compromise, why not just require fraternities and sororities to be more open about their activities?" writes one concerned parent in @@NAME@@ Today. "We must keep an eye on them. Clearly they can't be left alone!"

This option is out of balance with the others in its length. I'd suggest make it a little longer, and make the others a little shorter. And by making it longer, I mean add something relevant or funny, not just padding.

the government sponsors sorority webcam feeds

Great line. Who came up with that? :p

The Pharcyde
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Pharcyde » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:44 am

Candlewhisper Archive, I made edits based on your comments. They are marked in red in my original post.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:44 pm

Looking pretty good.

The Pharcyde
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Pharcyde » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:41 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Looking pretty good.

Thank you!

I have a little while longer to wait until I have enough people in my nation to submit the issue, so I happily welcome further feedback.
Last edited by The Pharcyde on Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?