NATION

PASSWORD

Black Flags, Blue Waters and Glowing Green Crystals (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Ceystile
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 29, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Black Flags, Blue Waters and Glowing Green Crystals (OOC)

Postby Ceystile » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:38 am

It is the year 1715, we're at the tail end of the Golden Age of Piracy where famous and semi-mythical figures such as Mary Read, Black Caesar, Calico Jack and Anne Bonny, Blackbeard and Bartholomew "Black Bart" Roberts roamed the waters of both the Spanish Main and the Middle Passage wreaking havoc and taking boundless treasures. This era in history has been defined as one of the freest ages that ever existed, pretty libertine for its time politically, socially and sexually (piracy was one of the few avenues open to you if you were some sort of minority and didn't want your life to completely suck ass). Everybody's heard of it, this span of about seventy years has made such an impact on history that it has captured the imagination of the world at large hundreds of years later, been immortalized in hundreds of books, movies and productions but surprisingly rarely taught in schools.

..Fast forward about 305 years to the year 2018, the age of cell-phones, modern medicine and increasing equal rights for humans everywhere. Also known as the time of information and innovation. With Google, we can have most answers to our questions in seconds at our fingertips. In our comfy but fast-paced western tech bubble, most of us are living pretty comfortably and are content with our lives (save for the occasional dead-end job we hate or rough patch with our spouse). Mankind has dreamed big ever since we were on this planet, and with our modern inventions we come ever closer to achieving those dreams as each decade passes. However, there's always been one dream of mankind that we just haven't quite grasped yet and has been doomed to remain in the annals of science fiction stories, and that's time travel. Oh we've talked about it, written about it, experimented and even wished it but most of us know that such a thing is impossible and could probably never happen.

...Until now, that is. Scientists have discovered a mysterious substance that they've named temporium...also called time crystal. It takes the form of a brilliant green, crystal-like substance that was found inside a meteorite during a rare shower of them thirty years prior. Conducting many experiments, they've actually found that this crystal will teleport one in time under the right conditions. Unfortunately, temporium is highly unstable and the few times that the scientists have managed to time travel, fewer have made it back. Temporium's structure is made volatile by moonlight, flinging someone holding a piece or standing near a source to some random point in time...often with no way out. This is where our story starts. Cape Cod, Massachusetts...June 5, 2018. Scientists are carving away at a meteorite that contains a temporium crystal the size of a house...once they're done unearthing it, they plan to build the first functioning time machine. Unfortunately, that will not come to pass. Temporium must be kept in a completely dark room unless moonlight activates it, unfortunately a careless associate left a window open. The crystal immediately exploded, and a crystal that size exploding is enough to throw about a city's block worth of people into the time warp. You are one of those people, and you were sent back into 1715 Nassau, where our journey begins. You're in the heart of the piratical Golden Age, and seemingly there's no way back to your own time. Fortunately for you, you have the ability to sense when temporium is near due to the energy imbued into you by the explosion. A returning pirate starts talking about a huge cache of rocks with emeralds inside of them that he discovered in Madagascar, about a few weeks after you've arrived. From the description, it sounds like it could be temporium crystals. Now this very well could just be the ravings of a madman, but if there's even the tiniest hope...

Now every pirate and their grandpa is out on the hunt for this supposed cache, and you have joined a pirate crew in the hopes of finding this cache for yourself. You each choose the crew and captain you are stuck serving under for the time being (whether historical or somebody you made up, idc) and now you must decide whether you will take your chance at returning home and remain fixed on that goal, or maybe even fall in love with life under the black and decide to make a name for yourself in this era (if the Navy, jealous crew, rival pirates and 18th century diseases and shit don't kill you first). Or perhaps you want to go your own way and do something else entirely, the choice is up to you and you have from here to Madagascar to decide. And yes, there will be a giant kraken attack or two.

Rules:
I'm the OP, my word is law.
Be respectful of each other, seriously
Since this is an RP, some historical liberties have been taken (clearly)
Ladies, you may have an easier time if you dress like a man but this is not a requirement
Don't kill off a PC without the permission of the one who made that character.
Try to be as active as possible, I'm pretty understanding when it comes to that since sometimes I get busy myself. Three times a week I think is reasonable as long as you're not holding anyone else up.
Pirates were pretty chill with homosexuality historically so no probs there (unless the Navy gets you)
Some of your 21st century mannerisms (like short shorts for girls or whatev) probably won't fly with everybody else if you want to blend in. If you wanna make some cool RP opportunities tho, go for it.
If you wanna have some inter-time period romance with the historical hottie of your choice, go for it man. In fact, I encourage it.
You can play historical figures if you want, go right ahead (except for Black Bart Roberts, I'm playing him).
High-seas hijinks are the order of the day, feel free to goof off and get a little crazy
And most of all...HAVE FUN (seriously, or else you'll walk the plank).

Application:
Name:
Appearance:
Captain (the schlub you're stuck serving under for now):
Bio:
Goals:
Personality:
Weapons (keep it 18th century)
Special Skills:
Equipment (stuff you had on you from your time, stuff you found in this time, or both):
French (don't delete, this is for finding apps).
Last edited by Ceystile on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:13 am

Utterly fascinating! Tag!

I haven’t seen a roleplay like this for way too long... will probably apply for some kind of exchange medical student.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Very intrigued. You have my interest. Definitely a tag.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Tomia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tomia » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:37 pm

tag!

The Imperial Warglorian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 10, 2015

Postby The Imperial Warglorian Empire » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:44 pm

Tag, are we restricted to pirates? Because I always prefer to be a member of his Majesty’s Navy in these RPs
Call me Warg or Antic
Yeah, u do that and I’m gonna have to force u to pull a France, and then a Vichy-Wargloria, after one of his allies proposed pulling an Italy

PROUD MEMBER OF THE FEDERATION OF ALLIES!

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:18 pm

The Imperial Warglorian Empire wrote:Tag, are we restricted to pirates? Because I always prefer to be a member of his Majesty’s Navy in these RPs

I guess that the navy could be going to the island because they wanna trap some pirates there, but it will be mostly pirates since this isn't really a naval battle RP. However, some Navy would be okay I guess.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Ok. So, I don't know what (if any) value this character concept would have in the 1700's. But, it kind of came to me. Here's what I'm thinking - a blue collar airplane mechanic. Still considering his personality. And to be even more fun, under a French captain with a language barrier.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Talchyon wrote:Ok. So, I don't know what (if any) value this character concept would have in the 1700's. But, it kind of came to me. Here's what I'm thinking - a blue collar airplane mechanic. Still considering his personality. And to be even more fun, under a French captain with a language barrier.

Oooh, interesting. :)

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:54 pm

Tagged, now you need to tag someone

So an app is to be made, will do
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

Hystaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hystaria » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:57 pm

/tag
A [Tier:9 Level:1 Type:9
Power Comparator: (see below)5.2, according to this index.

(Please quote me in forums to find your response, please, that would be nice.)
Trade with me, trade without Idelogys harming us, Money doesn't care what side you are on.
i swear my eternal service to the lasaga lord and wish to spread it to all i meet .
[spoiler= Official Allies]Bolkenia
Kowani wrote:Hystaria. They’re both edgy, but only one of them is a special kind of edgy.

I dont use NS states, I use factbooks.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Done

Postby Endem » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:30 am

Application: Yes
Name: Nathan Campbell
Appearance: Green Eyes, Dark Brown Hair, Face of a typical New Englander, 1.70 meters tall, 60 kg
Jack "Flintlock" Hanum ( made up)
Bio:
Born in Cape Cod he attended only Grade School and Middle School as he had not enough money for either High School or Colege he worked in his fathers work. When he was 20 he got into the military and served in Iraq and after it retired from the army and opened a small plumbing business in Cape Cod. For some years the business was prospering until one fateful in 2018 when he was repairing something in another client home, then he was hit by the blast of Temporium, he was really unlucky as he was just on boundaries of the whole thing. He awoke in Nassau and nearly instantly faced repercussions for asking very strange things and as well how he looked he still had all his plumbing gear which he sold and from it, he earned enough to buy himself a weapon to be exact two weapons, the flintlocks he uses now, and some ammunition as well as the clothes he now owns. Soon enough he heard of strange rocks and recognized in them the strange materials that were announced to be discovered in television and his chance to go back to his home, wife and only son.
Goals: Return back to his time, to wife and son, he enlisted in local know pirate crew and persuaded captain that the Green rocks found on Madagascar were a key to heaven.
Personality: Melancholic
Dislikes: Automatic Fire, Spiders, Autumn
Weapons (keep its 18th century): Two Flintlocks and Short Sword
Special Skills: Camouflage and Aiming
Equipment (stuff you had on you from your time, stuff you found in this time, or both):
From Our Time: Dollars, Plumber Jumpsuit, Wrench, Seals
From This Time: Ragged Clothes, Belt, Two Flintlocks, Short Sword, Some Gold Coins
Last edited by Endem on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:51 am

Out of curiosity, OP. If our characters are all on different ships, will there be much of a chance of interactions between us? I would like to encourage having such opportunities. Thanks.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:23 am

Finished my app

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Here is my app, all done.

Application: So it is.
Name: Neil Barlow
Appearance:

Captain he's under: Capt. Montigny la Palisse, (Historical French pirate) on the pirate ship, Sea King.

Bio: Neil Barlow was born to a blue collar family in Massachusetts. His father worked in factories and his mother did odd jobs when she wasn't drinking. As an only child, Neil had few close friends on his street and preferred to spend his time doing something with his hands. His dad brought him outside to their garage a lot, and had Neil help fix cars, mowers, neighbor's fridges, anything that needed fixing.

Neil was an average student in school. After high school, he decided that university life wasn't for him. Instead, he went to a trade school where he could put his mechanical leanings to use. While he had done well in auto shop courses, Neil saw a promotional video for an aviation mechanic school and fell in love with it. He pursued a degree, learned his craft, and got hired at Barnstable Municipal Airport at Cape Cod. He has been working there ever since, and even though he has enough seniority to work the day shift, Neil had no problem getting paid extra and working nights.

It was after a typical day at work when Neil was driving home. Coming up on a scientific laboratory, there was a bright flash, disorientation on Neil's part - and when he came to, his car was gone and so was everything else familiar. The new scenery had palm beaches on the horizon, some low-tech looking villages, and historic-looking clothing styles. But to make matters worse, Neil found himself on an old fashioned tall ship on the water far from shore, with a suspicious looking captain who he couldn't understand, and swarthy men surrounding him. Neil was captured and taken to the ship's brig for trespassing. He's been quiet about his strange clothing, odd money and how he ended up on the ship - mostly because the truth is ridiculous-sounding even to him. But soon - Neil will find a way to get out.

Goals: Get out of the brig. Convince the French captain he's not a threat. Find a way home.
Personality: Observant and hard-working. Feels a little uncomfortable discussing personal things and a isn't the most comfortable in large groups. Would not be upset being a loner. But still, Neil is respectful to those in authority and tries to do a good job.
Likes: Efficiency. Putting in solid work. A good beer every now and then.
Dislikes: Suck-ups. Not understanding French when everyone around him is speaking it. Being in prison. Not having a way to charge any electronic device he brought with him.
Weapons: None as of yet.
Special Skills: Mechanical skills. While he is not expecting to run into any Cessna-172's in need of a tune up any time soon, Neil's mind has a natural understanding for how objects work. Therefore with some study, Neil can make things more efficient and work better.
Equipment:
From his time: Blue, full length work coveralls. Orange headphones. Glasses and protective goggles. A cell phone - it had 84% charge when he came here, but who knows what it's at now. Wallet with both bills, coins, pictures and credit cards. Keys. A couple of Halls throat lozenges. Some breath mints. A digital watch. Problem is, anything unusual was confiscated before he went to the brig.
From the 1700's: Neil has nothing but what he's been able to scrounge while in the brig. Which isn't much.

Last edited by Talchyon on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:16 pm

Endem wrote:Application: Yes
Appearance: Green Eyes, Dark Brown Hair, Face of a typical New Englander, 1.70 meters tall, 60 kg
Bio:
Born in Cape Cod he attended only Grade School and Middle School as he had not enough money for either High School or Colege he worked in his fathers work. When he was 20 he got into the military and served in Iraq and after it retired from the army and opened a small plumbing business in Cape Cod. For some years the business was prospering until one fateful in 2018 when he was repairing something in another client home, then he was hit by the blast of Temporium, he was really unlucky as he was just on boundaries of the whole thing. He awoke in Nassau and nearly instantly faced repercussions for asking very strange things and as well how he looked he still had all his plumbing gear which he sold and from it, he earned enough to buy himself a weapon to be exact two weapons, the flintlocks he uses now, and some ammunition as well as the clothes he now owns. Soon enough he heard of strange rocks and recognized in them the strange materials that were announced to be discovered in television and his chance to go back to his home, wife and only son.
Goals: Return back to his time, to wife and son, he enlisted in local know pirate crew and persuaded captain that the Green rocks found on Madagascar were a key to heaven.
From This Time: Ragged Clothes, Belt, Two Flintlocks, Short Sword, Some Gold Coins

Accepted, but one question. Flintlock replicas are pretty hard to come by...did he buy them to collect them?

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Ceystile wrote:
Endem wrote:Application: Yes
Bio:

Accepted, but one question. Flintlock replicas are pretty hard to come by...did he buy them to collect them?

Replicas, hah he bought them in Nassau they were normal flintlocks oh you meant those replicas, yeah bought

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:34 pm

@Endem...Oh, that makes sense.

A bit of a WIP.

Application:
Name: Bartholomew “Black Bart” Roberts (born John Roberts)
Appearance: He’s a bit on the short side, around 5’5 but also said to be very good looking by most people he comes across. He has a swarthy, nut-brown complexion and dark brown hair that waves just past his jawline (his dark complexion and hair gave him his nickname). He’s got hazel eyes that look golden and dresses in fine clothes as is his wont
Captain (the schlub you're stuck serving under for now): He’s the Captain.
Bio: Born in Casnewydd-Bach, a town in the Welsh county of Pembrokeshire: his life was a pretty simple one. His father George Roberts was a farmer and a religious man who taught his son John to follow God in all things. His mother had died of an illness when he was eight, so it was just him, hai father and his younger sister. At the young age of thirteen, he went to sea as a navigator on a trading ship as he had shown quite an aptitude for navigation. When he turned around twenty, he was second mate and navigator aboard a slave ship known as the Princess and sailed with them for about eight years until their ship was captured by the Welsh pirate captain Howell Davis (or Hywel Davies if you want to go with the Welsh spelling). Right away, John’s skill as a navigator was noticed and so Captain Davis asked if he would join their crew. Upon John’s refusal, he was drafted in anyway and forced to join them. Turns out he was actually pretty good at this pirating shit, and Captain Davis took a shine to him. The two men would speak in Welsh to each other and became close friends, but Captain Davis was killed in a shootout after an attempted raid on the island of Principe six weeks after John started sailing with them. John, who at that point changed his name to Bartholomew after the buccaneer Bartholomew Sharp was elected the new captain by the pirates despite his relative inexperience. When asked what his first act as captain would be, he decided to turn right around back to Principe to go avenge his friend’s death. They would wreak havoc on the unsuspecting town, in and out without losing a single one of their own men but leaving a trail of looting and death in their wake. The crew was solidified behind him after that because they knew he meant business and would cut a bish...he’s been pirating ever since (and been super successful thus far).3
Goals: To be the greatest pirate ever, and maybe one day get back home to his little sister.
Personality: He’s pretty adventurous, has a natural talent for navigation and a definite charmer, earning the popularity of his crew. However, he’s also a bit of a “prude” in a lot of ways: he doesn’t drink alcohol and is very religious, he’s also quite a strict captain and doesn’t tolerate disobedience or disorder. You fall in line or you’ll regret it (both allies and enemies can attest to his ruthlessness, he’s been known to burn the ships of those who won’t surrender) but he does reward those who serve him well and has a bit of a soft side for those few he considers genuine friends.
Likes: Tea, books, taking prizes, when his crew is doing a good job, fine clothes
Dislikes: Liquor, cowardice, when his crew start goofing off
Weapons: Classic pirate sword and pistols, also keeps a knife for when things get hairy.
Special Skills: Navigation (the man is like a walking GPS, seriously), knows how to run a tight ship

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:14 pm

OP, my app is done. If you would look it over, it's ready for you.

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:32 pm

You’re accepted tal, and I think I’ll put the IC up tomorrow

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:28 pm

I'm SO sorry about being so late with the IC guys...but I promise it's definitely coming up tonight or tomorrow.

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:25 pm

Eclius
Senator

Founded: Oct 24, 2015

Postby Eclius » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:26 pm

Tag (I'll post an app a bit later)
We do NOT use NS stats since it's not the most accurate reflection
Eclisian Herald News Network
||Local man sent to hospital after eating a pack of 14 years old Kraft mac'n cheese||Schools to resume operation in coming weeks||All domestic flights resumed||10% off vacation to Democratic East Asia today, book yours today!||

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:34 am

Sweet. I'll work on a post!

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:47 am

Just here to say
A Post is in works, my little monkey writers are up 24/7 for this ( well that's a joke by the way I don't have any monkeys sadly )

Ceystile
Diplomat

Postby Ceystile » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:15 pm

I'll be posting tonight or tomorrow, y'all. But who else is here besides me, Tal and End?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse