NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Bring Back the Upper House?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Glayji
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Bring Back the Upper House?

Postby Glayji » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:44 pm

I have decided against this but if anyone wants to use this they can use it without asking me
Note this is a early draft and will be expanded later and is short for right now due to time and i want other people to have a opition on how it should be I am not sure if their is a issue like this or not and writing may not be as well as it should be
[name] Bring back the Upper House?

[validity] Nations that do not have a upper house

[description] Because the upper housewas abolished in @@NAME@@ several effects have been notice including fewer voters and less members in the house several members of the House have proposed that the upper house should be brought back

[option] " Repersentative @@RANDOMNAME@@ says I think it is important for democracy that a upper house be created because it would have more Representatives and there would be a check on bills before they are sent to @@LEADER@@ for signing
[effect] The Upper House would be created and political freedom would decrease and government size would increase and taxes would also increase

[option]
Representative @@RANDOMNAME@@ says we do not need a upper house because we have enough Representatives and that the house is already a check on bills and that it is Democratic enough
[effect] The upper house would not be created and everything would stay the same

[option] @@RANDOMNAME@@ says While i support the idea for a upper house i believe that it would be costly to make a upper house but how about we elect more representatives
[effect] The upper house would not be created but more representatives would be added causing the government size to increase and taxes to increase but not as much as if the upper house was created
Last edited by Glayji on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
my only puppet is NYSE and neither nation represents my political views

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:31 pm

I do commend your initiative, taking on the notorious upper-house abolishment reversal!

However, your issue is only asking if @@LEADER@@ would like to consider reversing a decision. Reversal issues are tricky, in part because they must derive their story from consequences of the decision you intend to reverse, rather than the decision itself.

They should look something like this;

[The Issue]- The (Upper House) was abolished in @@NAME@@. As a result, (noteworthy consequence) happened.

1-Address the consequence
2-Address the consequence in a different way
3-Reverse the decision (Reinstate Upper House)

They should not look like this;

[The Issue]- Some people think (Abolishing the Upper House) was misguided. They have called on you to reconsider the decision.

1-Reverse the decision (Reinstate Upper House)
2-Don’t reverse the decision, make the situation even crazier.
Last edited by Candensia on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Do you plan on describing the difference between an upper and lower house
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:54 pm

There should be a "keep it the same" option, and how exactly does creating an upper house increase political freedom? I'd think if anything, it would increase government size and taxes and decrease political freedom, as an extra layer of bureaucracy in the way.
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

Glayji
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glayji » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:22 pm

I have updated the draft to resolve some of the issues
my only puppet is NYSE and neither nation represents my political views

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:56 am

Ghost Land wrote:There should be a "keep it the same" option, and how exactly does creating an upper house increase political freedom? I'd think if anything, it would increase government size and taxes and decrease political freedom, as an extra layer of bureaucracy in the way.

Let editors figure out the stats.

Glayji wrote:I have updated the draft to resolve some of the issues

Sorry, but it still needs work. It's not very clear how abolishing the upper house caused lower voter turnout or why "less members in the house" is a problem.

Also, your effect lines look more like stat suggestions. Effect lines are the things that appear on people's nation page after they've answered the issue, like so:

39 days ago: Following new legislation in USS Monitor, the government loves seeing the little people fight.

They should be funny if possible, and they are not complete sentences. You don't need to include the "Following new legislation" part, just the line that appears at the end.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 am

Alternative title suggestion: 'One House Good, Two Houses Better'.

(In case you don't get the reference, It's a joking adaptation of a line from George Orwell's book 'Animal Farm'.)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?