NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] A Timely Intervention

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

[ACCEPTED] A Timely Intervention

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:33 am

I have been sitting on this idea for quite a while now, but I have finally decided to put pen to paper. :)

This is my first ever attempt at drafting an issue, but I thought I should try to give a little back to NationStates after all this time.

OK, I'll stop with the time references...

TITLE:
A Timely Intervention

VALIDITY:
All

DESCRIPTION:
@@LEADER@@ and their cabinet are on a tour of the nearby @@NAME@@ Watch Factory, famous throughout all of @@REGION@@. The poor state of the factory—and its declining sales figures carelessly left on a desk—are clear for all to see. The cabinet decides to offer some opportune solutions to the management regarding the problem.

[option]“The issue here is competition from emerging technology” proffers your Minister of Science and Technology Dr. Jonathan Osterman. “These watches are outdated compared to the latest iPear models. We need a nuclear option to adjust the balance. Atomic clocks are well known for their accuracy, so what if we started producing atomic watches? There may be some slight issues with weight and radiation, but the government can relax some outdated consumer laws that stymy innovation.”
[effect]@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ watches list strained wrists and sudden hair loss as common side effects

[option]“The solution is back in time, not forwards” muses your Minister of Culture @RANDOMNAME@@. “Mechanical watches from Smalltopia are still very popular. They have 27 rubies throughout the movement. Rubies! They put jewels in their watches! Go back to the timekeeping of yesteryear, to cater to the luxury watch market. My Ministry will organize an annual @@REGION@@ Luxury Watch Expo to promote the watches on the international stage! Sure, mechanical watches aren’t as accurate, and they will be more expensive; but to own a timeless piece of reproduction horological history? Truly priceless.”
[effect]the well-to-do in @@REGION@@ are never on time for important appointments

[option]“Atoms? Jewels? Those watches would never survive a hard day’s work” bemoans your Minister of Labor @@RANDOMNAME@@. “If a watch can’t survive being hit by a hammer or cut by a sickle then it is useless in the workplace. Focus on the mass production of cheap and indestructible watches, to equip the international proletariat with the tools they need to keep running on the same beat. Generous government subsidies will be needed to allow the factory to cater to a larger market, but all the workers of @@REGION@@ will thank you.”
[effect]@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ watches are often the only thing to survive a disaster intact

[option]“The hour is at hand! This is the time of Violet!” shouts Violetist priest @@RANDOMNAME@@ through an open window. “The time spent watching these evil little machinations should be better spent in praise of the almighty Violet! We must rid ourselves of this factory of evil and burn all its offspring; wherever it hides in our land! Violet demands that we cast the evil out! The government must ban and destroy every horological horror in our land!” The priest tries to light a match but is dragged away by your bodyguards.
[effect]citizens pray for sunshine so that they can use illicit sundials for timekeeping
[option validity] Violetism allowed

TITLE:
A Timely Intervention

VALIDITY:
All

DESCRIPTION:
@@LEADER@@ and their cabinet are on a tour of the nearby @@NAME@@ Watch Factory, famous throughout all of @@REGION@@. The poor state of the factory—and its declining sales figures carelessly left on a desk—are clear for all to see. The cabinet decides to offer some opportune solutions to the management regarding the problem.

[option]“The issue here is competition from emerging technology” proffers your Minister of Science and Technology Dr. Jonathan Osterman. “These watches are outdated compared to the latest iPear models. We need a nuclear option to adjust the balance. Atomic clocks are well known for their accuracy, so what if we started producing atomic watches? There may be some slight issues with weight and radiation, but the government can relax some outdated consumer laws that stymy innovation.”
[effect]Sudden hair loss and strained wrists are common when wearing a watch from @@NAME@@.

[option]“The solution is back in time, not forwards” muses your Minister of Culture @RANDOMNAME@@. “Mechanical watches from Smalltopia are still very popular. They have 27 rubies throughout the movement. Rubies! They put jewels in their watches! Go back to the timekeeping of yesteryear, to cater to the luxury watch market. My Ministry will organize an annual @@REGION@@ Luxury Watch Expo to promote the watches on the international stage! Sure, mechanical watches aren’t as accurate, and they will be more expensive; but to own a timeless piece of reproduction horological history? Truly priceless.”
[effect]The well-to-do in @@REGION@@ are never on time for important appointments.

[option]“Atoms? Jewels? Those watches would never survive a hard day’s work” bemoans your Minister of Labor @@RANDOMNAME@@. “If a watch can’t survive being hit by a hammer or cut by a sickle then it is useless in the workplace. Focus on the mass production of cheap and indestructable watches, to equip the international proletariat with the tools they need to keep running on the same beat. Generous government subsidies will be needed to allow the factory to cater to a larger market, but all the workers of @@REGION@@ will thank you.”
[effect]Watches from @@NAME@@ are often the only thing to survive a disaster intact.

[option]“The hour is at hand! This is the time of Violet!” shouts Violetist priest @@RANDOMNAME@@ through an open window. “The time spent watching these evil little machinations should be better spent in praise of the almighty Violet! We must rid ourselves of this factory of evil and burn all its offspring; wherever it hides in our land! Violet demands that we cast the evil out! The government must ban and destroy every horological horror in our land!” The priest tries to light a match but is dragged away by your bodyguards.
[effect]Citizens of @@NAME@@ pray for sunshine so that they can use illicit sundials for timekeeping.

TITLE:
A Timely Intervention

VALIDITY:
All

DESCRIPTION:

[option]“The issue here is competition from emerging technology” proffers your Minister of Science and Technology Dr. Jonathan Osterman. “These watches are outdated compared to the latest iPear models. We need a nuclear option to adjust the balance. Atomic clocks are well known for their accuracy, so what if we started producing atomic watches? There may be some slight issues with weight and radiation, but I’m sure that the consumer will be willing to make some sacrifices.”
[effect]Sudden hair loss and strained wrists are common when wearing a watch from @@NAME@@.

[option]“The solution is back in time, not forwards” muses your Minister of Culture @RANDOMNAME@@. “Mechanical watches from Smalltopia are still very popular. They have 27 rubies throughout the movement. Rubies! They put jewels in their watches! Go back to the timekeeping of yesteryear, to cater to the luxury watch market. Sure, mechanical watches aren’t as accurate, and they will be more expensive; but to own a timeless piece of reproduction horological history? Truly priceless.”
[effect]The well-to-do in @@REGION@@ are never on time for important appointments.

[option]“Atoms? Jewels? Those watches would never survive a hard day’s work” bemoans your Minister of Labor @@RANDOMNAME@@. “If a watch can’t survive being hit by a hammer or cut by a sickle then it is useless in the workplace. Focus on the mass production of cheap and hardy watches, to equip workers with the tools they need to keep running on the same beat. Cut out the frills to cater to a larger market, and mine more metals to make the indestructable watch cases, and our workers will thank you.”
[effect]Watches from @@NAME@@ are often the only thing to survive a disaster intact.

[option]“The hour is at hand! This is the time of Violet!” shouts Violetist priest @@RANDOMNAME@@ through an open window. “The time spent watching these evil little machinations should be better spent in praise of the almighty Violet! We must rid ourselves of this factory of evil and burn all its offspring; wherever it hides in our land! Violet demands that we cast the evil out! Ban and destroy every timekeeping device in our land!” The priest tries to light a match but is dragged away by your bodyguards.
[effect]Citizens of @@NAME@@ pray for sunshine so that they can use illicit sundials for timekeeping.

TITLE:
Quis Custodiet Horologium Fabri?

VALIDITY:
All.

DESCRIPTION:
@@LEADER@@ and their cabinet are on a tour of the nearby @@NAME@@ Watch Factory. The poor state of the factory—and its declining sales figures carelessly left on a desk—are clear for all to see. The cabinet decides to offer some timely solutions to the management regarding the problem.

[option]“Clearly the issue here is the competition from emerging technology” proffers your Minister of Science and Technology @@RANDOMNAME@@. “These watches are outdated and can’t compete with the latest iPear models. We need a…shall we say…nuclear option to even the playing field. Atomic clocks are accurate to a trillionth of a second in a trillion years, so what if we started producing atomic watches? The @@NAME@@ Watch Factory would be ticking over nicely once again! There might be some slight issues with weight and radiation, but I’m sure that the consumer will make some sacrifices for the most accurate watch ever made.”
[effect]Sudden hair loss and strained wrists are common when wearing a watch from @@NAME@@

[option]“The solution is back in time, not forwards” muses your Minister of Culture @RANDOMNAME@@. “Mechanical watches from Smalltopia are still very popular. They are self-winding, with 27 rubies throughout the platinum movement. Rubies! They put jewels in their watches! And precious metals! The @@NAME@@ Watch Factory needs to go back to the timekeeping of yesteryear, to cater to the local and international luxury watch market. Sure, mechanical watches aren’t as accurate, and they will be prohibitively expensive for some; but to own a timeless piece of reproduction horological history? Truly priceless.”
[effect]The well-to-do in @@NAME@@ are never on time for important appointments.

[option]“Atoms? Jewels? Those watches would never survive a hard day's work” bemoans your Minister of Labor @@RANDOMNAME@@. “If a watch can’t survive being hit by a hammer or cut by a sickle then it shouldn’t have even been made in the first place. The @@NAME@@ Watch Factory needs to focus on the mass production of cheap and hardy watches, to equip workers with the tools they need to keep running on the same beat. We might need to skimp a bit on the frills in order to cater to such a large market, and mine more metals to make the indestructable watch cases, but our workers will thank you.”

[option]“These foul machinations are a perverse diversion from our divine purpose!” shouts Violetist priest @@RANDOMNAME@@ through an open window. “All the time spent watching these evil little monstrosities should be better spent in praise of the almighty Violet! We need to rid ourselves of this factory of evil and burn all its offspring and all its ilk; wherever it hides in our land! The hour is at hand! This is the time of Violet! Violet demands that action be taken to cast the evil out! We must ban and destroy every timekeeping device in our land!” The priest tries to light a match but is dragged away by your bodyguards.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:05 am, edited 8 times in total.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 am

Welcome!

There's some solid writing here, but you may want to wind back the wordiness a bit in the options. Maybe try and shorten each by a third.

Premise-wise, the failing fortunes of a watch factory don't sound terribly notable, but this could be justified by making the watches nationally significant in some way, like saying that the nation has always had a reputation for high quality timepieces.

However, the biggest problem here is in joke overlap. There's already an issue called Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?, which plays on the phrase in a different way, asking about police body cameras. I personally don't think you can have two issue titles that are so similar, or which are making a pun around the same Latin phrase.

Fortunately there's lots of other watch puns you could make. Bear in mind though we've also used An Expensive Watch and Someone to Watch Over Me as issue titles.

A good one here might be "And Now Our Watch Has Ended", though you'd need to rejig it so that the factory has just closed rather than being at threat of closing.

Generally though, this is a great first-timer draft. Whether or not this issue makes it into the game, I have no doubt you'll be a published author in no time at all. Some folk can write, some can't. You can.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:30 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Welcome!

There's some solid writing here, but you may want to wind back the wordiness a bit in the options. Maybe try and shorten each by a third.

Premise-wise, the failing fortunes of a watch factory don't sound terribly notable, but this could be justified by making the watches nationally significant in some way, like saying that the nation has always had a reputation for high quality timepieces.

However, the biggest problem here is in joke overlap. There's already an issue called Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?, which plays on the phrase in a different way, asking about police body cameras. I personally don't think you can have two issue titles that are so similar, or which are making a pun around the same Latin phrase.

Fortunately there's lots of other watch puns you could make. Bear in mind though we've also used An Expensive Watch and Someone to Watch Over Me as issue titles.

A good one here might be "And Now Our Watch Has Ended", though you'd need to rejig it so that the factory has just closed rather than being at threat of closing.

Generally though, this is a great first-timer draft. Whether or not this issue makes it into the game, I have no doubt you'll be a published author in no time at all. Some folk can write, some can't. You can.

Thanks Candlewhisper. Yes I remember that issue with the similar title now. The subconscious memory of it must have been there when I was thinking of a title. I'll try to think of a new one by exploring some of the language around watchmaking.

In terms of the premise, I suppose I could just put "internationally renowned" or "award winning" in front of the name of the factory, to give its failing fortunes a little bit more urgency. Or I could say that it was the first watch factory in the nation etc. I'll have a think.

I'll do some tweaking to the draft and post a new one here soon. Thanks.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:36 am

Choice of title influenced by the original career plan of Jon 'Dr Manhattan' Osterman?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:01 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Choice of title influenced by the original career plan of Jon 'Dr Manhattan' Osterman?

Perhaps ever so slightly, yes. :p

Wave on, wave on

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Oh, nice to see you taking an interest in GI, New California Republic! Another bear nation to join us, I see. ;)

I'm afraid I've not the time (ha get it time) to look at this, but I'll try to come pop on by later. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:05 am

A physicist named Dr. Osterman should definitely be the speaker in at least one option.

When you do give this draft another go, do it in this thread, changing the first post so the original draft is behind a spoiler block and posting the new version above it.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:45 am

Draft 2 is now up. List of main changes: removed some words and restructured the sentences of the options to reduce verboseness. Changed title to avoid overlap with other issue titles (the new title doesn't seem to be too similar to other issue titles). Changed the name of the Minister of Science and Technology to Dr. Osterman. Added another watch pun in the first option. Changed description slightly to add more gravitas to the situation.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far.

Wave on, wave on

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 am

The concept is sound, but the options read like approaches you'd take if you were the director of the factory, not the leader of the nation the factory is in. I think maybe think about it more in terms of governmental actions, rather than in how a company might behave differently.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:57 pm

But modern watches don't have these problems
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:05 am

Draft 3 is now up. List of main changes: Added government actions in options 1 to 3, and made government actions clearer in option 4. Some slight wording changes in option 4.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback so far.

Australian rePublic wrote:But modern watches don't have these problems

What problems do you mean specifically?

Wave on, wave on

Window Land
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Window Land » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:13 am

The New California Republic wrote:Draft 3 is now up. List of main changes: Added government actions in options 1 to 3, and made government actions clearer in option 4. Some slight wording changes in option 4.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback so far.

Australian rePublic wrote:But modern watches don't have these problems

What problems do you mean specifically?

Atomic clocks are not radioactive. They work by measuring the frequency of atoms when they change energy states. If your atomic clock is radioactive, you're doing it wrong.
Bored college student who is probably supposed to be doing something important.
Woodie Flowers wrote:If you’re anti-science, you’re pro-stupid.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Winston Churchill wrote:Democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.

Randall Munroe wrote: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Free Speech

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:18 am

Window Land wrote:Atomic clocks are not radioactive. They work by measuring the frequency of atoms when they change energy states. If your atomic clock is radioactive, you're doing it wrong.

I'm aware that they aren't actually radioactive IRL. It is meant to be a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor. The implication is that they might be atomic powered in some way as well.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wave on, wave on

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:00 am

Hi NCR! Nice to see you in GI! :)

This whole issue brings to mind the story of Swatch -- a Swiss company founded in response to (quoting Wikipedia here) 'the "quartz crisis" of the 1970s and 1980s, in which Asian-made digital watches were competing against traditional European-made mechanical watches.' The decision made in the end was to create watches that were eye-catching because of their bright, colourful, trendy designs, but of inferior quality, being mostly made of cheap plastic, and they tended to break down soon (personal experience, back in the 90s :)). Quite a different approach to the high tech/atomic, the expensive jewel and the durable proletarian solutions you present here. Maybe an idea for an extra option?
Last edited by Hediacrana on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:22 am

Welcome to GI, NCR.

There's some excellent writing here.

For the validities, regarding the last option, it's worth saying that not every country allows Violetism

You could also trim @@NAME@@ from all the effect lines by making them slightly snappier, like so:

The New California Republic wrote:Sudden hair loss and strained wrists are common when wearing a watch from @@NAME@@

@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ watches list strained wrists and sudden hair loss as common side effects

(Worth saying -- for future reference -- that this how effect lines are formatted in submission, no capital and no period).

The New California Republic wrote:Watches from @@NAME@@ are often the only thing to survive a disaster intact.

@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ watches are often the only thing to survive a disaster intact

The New California Republic wrote:Citizens of @@NAME@@ pray for sunshine so that they can use illicit sundials for timekeeping.

citizens pray for sunshine so they can use illicit sundials for timekeeping

They're good effect lines, though.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:48 am

Hediacrana wrote:Hi NCR! Nice to see you in GI! :)

This whole issue brings to mind the story of Swatch -- a Swiss company founded in response to (quoting Wikipedia here) 'the "quartz crisis" of the 1970s and 1980s, in which Asian-made digital watches were competing against traditional European-made mechanical watches.' The decision made in the end was to create watches that were eye-catching because of their bright, colourful, trendy designs, but of inferior quality, being mostly made of cheap plastic, and they tended to break down soon (personal experience, back in the 90s :)). Quite a different approach to the high tech/atomic, the expensive jewel and the durable proletarian solutions you present here. Maybe an idea for an extra option?

Absolutely, the quartz crisis was actually one of the inspirations for this issue :) . I considered making an option that more overtly references it, but I felt that the issue in its entirety acts as a reference to it. In fact, option 3 was inspired by the Swiss drive to cater to a larger market for survival, but I changed the details slightly before drafting here, in order to create an option that might appeal to more leftist playstyles. Option 2 also has a bit of a reference to it, with the "Mechanical watches from Smalltopia are still very popular" line, and the fact that the Swiss mechanical watches still being produced are more designed for the luxury watch market, rather than mass consumption.

The Free Joy State wrote:
Welcome to GI, NCR.

For the validities, regarding the last option, it's worth saying that not every country allows Violetism

You could also trim @@NAME@@ from all the effect lines by making them slightly snappier, like so:

The New California Republic wrote:Sudden hair loss and strained wrists are common when wearing a watch from @@NAME@@

@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ watches list strained wrists and sudden hair loss as common side effects

(Worth saying -- for future reference -- that this how effect lines are formatted in submission, no capital and no period).

The New California Republic wrote:Watches from @@NAME@@ are often the only thing to survive a disaster intact.

@@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ watches are often the only thing to survive a disaster intact

The New California Republic wrote:Citizens of @@NAME@@ pray for sunshine so that they can use illicit sundials for timekeeping.

Thanks for the feedback! I will incorporate it in the next draft, which will be up in the next few days.

One question though regarding the validity. What precisely would I put in the validity line if the issue wouldn't apply to nations that do not allow Violetism?

Wave on, wave on

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:11 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Welcome to GI, NCR.

Thanks for the feedback! I will incorporate it in the next draft, which will be up in the next few days.

One question though regarding the validity. What precisely would I put in the validity line if the issue wouldn't apply to nations that do not allow Violetism?

You don't have to lock-out the whole issue, if you have an idea for a doppelganger option #4, so that nations that don't allow Violetists will have a similar option (or -- if you don't think that the option is needed for the story to work -- you could choose to put a validity on the option and have no doppelganger).

If you choose restrict the validity of the whole issue, under Validity, just put something like "Violetism allowed"

If you choose either of the other two options, add under the option:
[option validity]: Violetism allowed (and -- for the/any doppelganger -- "[option validity] Violetism not allowed" and/or "Violetism banned")

There's no specific wording you need around validities. If the intent is clear, we'll work it out.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:35 am

You don't have to lock-out the whole issue, if you have an idea for a doppelganger option #4, so that nations that don't allow Violetists will have a similar option (or -- if you don't think that the option is needed for the story to work -- you could choose to put a validity on the option and have no doppelganger).

If you choose restrict the validity of the whole issue, under Validity, just put something like "Violetism allowed"

If you choose either of the other two options, add under the option:
[option validity]: Violetism allowed (and -- for the/any doppelganger -- "[option validity] Violetism not allowed" and/or "Violetism banned")

There's no specific wording you need around validities. If the intent is clear, we'll work it out.

Thanks again. After reading the draft over again, I feel that the issue is just as effective if option 4 was left out for nations where Violetism is banned. Option 4 already kind of reads like an addition to the story, so it's loss for non-valid nations probably wouldn't warrant the need for a doppelganger. The three remaining options for such nations would still give quite a wide range of choice.

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:07 am

Draft 4 is now up. List of main changes: Clarified validity of option 4, formatting fixes of effect lines, slight wording changes to effect lines 1 and 3 to incorporate demonym adjectives.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback that has got it to this point.

Wave on, wave on

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:54 am

Option 2- isn't that heavier than the clocks proposed in option 1?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:58 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2- isn't that heavier than the clocks proposed in option 1?

What do you mean?

Option 2 talks about watches with jewels in them, while option 1 talks about atomic watches. Do you mean that watches with jewels in them are heavier than a conceptual atomic watch? If so, I can tell you unequivocally that watches with jewels in them are very light. For example, I own a watch with 31 jewels in the movement, and you hardly notice that you are wearing it.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wave on, wave on

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2- isn't that heavier than the clocks proposed in option 1?

What do you mean?

Option 2 talks about watches with jewels in them, while option 1 talks about atomic watches. Do you mean that watches with jewels in them are heavier than a conceptual atomic watch? If so, I can tell you unequivocally that watches with jewels in them are very light. For example, I own a watch with 31 jewels in the movement, and you hardly notice that you are wearing it.

Hmmm... well most people wouldn't know that. Maybe clarify

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:What do you mean?

Hmmm... well most people wouldn't know that. Maybe clarify

I'll leave it as it is, I can't start handholding the readers through that stuff without butchering the draft in the process. Judging by the feedback so far, it seems that enough people know what I'm talking about. And regardless, deep understanding of the technical details of mechanical watches isn't really required in choosing a specific option.

It is also implied by the way that the Minister in option 2 is talking about them that even he/she doesn't really know what the jewels are for.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:21 pm

I am planning on submitting this within the next few days, as I now feel it is as good as it is going to get; barring any more suggestions or corrections. Last call!

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:42 am

I have now submitted this proposed issue. Thanks very much for the feedback that everyone provided, as it helped to make the final submitted version much more well-rounded and polished than the original versions. Fingers crossed that it gets accepted. :)

Wave on, wave on

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?