NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Doctor Exchange Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[Draft] Doctor Exchange Act

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:33 pm

I came up with this idea a couple of days ago. It is based very loosely off of a resolution that I passed at a model UN conference. I am fairly sure it is legal with that said, I wanted to post it here for comments, questions, concerns before sending it off to the WA floor. Thank you for your input!

Doctor Exchange Act

Category: Health (International Aid)

Acknowledging that many nations of the WA, especially those with emerging or weak economies, have sub-par health care systems, whence their citizens lead less healthy and shorter lives than many of the more developed nations of the WA

Noting that this issue is, in part, caused by a lack of well trained heath-care professionals

Appalled by the scarcity of doctors and other healthcare professionals in many of these nations, especially in rural and/or isolated areas

Noting that many nations of the WA have such a sufficient number of doctors that they would be able to continue thriving both economically and socially even in the event that many of said healthcare professionals were to discontinue operating in said nation.

1. Highly Encourages developed nations with flourishing economies and a good doctor-to-patient ratio to provide their medically-trained citizens with monetary incentives such as tax exemptions or cash endowments to seek practice in nations with a shortage of doctors.

2. Further Encourages all nations to run an education campaign utilizing media sources such as newspaper, radio, and television to educate their citizens of the deplorable health care conditions in many nations as well as the humanitarian and monetary benefits of becoming a mission doctor.
Last edited by Libertas Omnium Maximus on Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:33 am, edited 14 times in total.
The Republic of Libertas Omnium Maximus
(Representative Democracy; Established 1837)
The Litudinem Herald|NationStates Resume|Libertas Omnium Maximus Wiki

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:41 pm

"There are two(OOC:plus two OOC problems) unrelated problems with your proposal.
The first problem is that you use language such as "encourages" - we can tell you that these encouragements will be not effective at all. Yet any stronger language would be not advised either, in our opinion.
The second problem is the name of this proposal, which will be very effective ... as a repellant."
OOC: Your proposal needs a category. That's in this case more than a trivial problem.
It also needs a strength - probably mild, currently.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:41 pm

I plan to add the strength/category last

The name is totally subject to change. Any ideas?

As to your first concern, there isn't much more I can do. The WA can't force nations to supply doctors.
Last edited by Libertas Omnium Maximus on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Naboompu
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Naboompu » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:16 pm

Nice effort! Just thought I'd give a few comments regarding the readability of the text. I still think that the main issue regarding a lack of any firm mandates (encourages...) that still needs to be addressed.

-----

0. The title needs work. Maybe "World Assembly Doctor Exchange Programme" or something similar...?
1. "Acknowledging that many nations of the WA, especially those with emerging or weak economies, have sub par sub-par health care systems, which results inwhence their citizens leading less healthy lives...
2. "Noting that a this issue is...
3. Should it not be small doctor-to-citizens ratio? "Appalled by the excessively large doctor-to citizen ratio the paucity of doctors in many of these nations...
4. "Noting that many nations of the WA have a doctor-to-citizen ratio small enough an abundance of doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals such that they would be able to continue thriving both economically and socially even if many of said professionals their doctors, nurses, and healthcare professionals were to discontinue operating in same said nation.
5. "...and a good doctor-to-citizen ratio to provide provision monetary incentives, including but not limited to tax exemptions and cash endowments, to their medically-trained citizens with monetary incentives to seek medical practice... ...doctors. These may include
6. "...health care conditions in many nations and as well as the humanitarian and...

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:28 pm

Thank you for this invaluable feedback. Yes, the WA Doctor Exchange Act (or something of that ilk sounds far better than Doctor Exportation). Thank you for the editing (which the proposal was clearly in need of) I will alter accordingly.

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:28 am

OOC: It seems you treat the Category as something not important.
It is important.
Your current proposal falls under Health - AOE International Aid.
Which means that you can't use mild language only. Categories with an Area of Effect cannot be Mild. You have to force member nations to do something, at minimum, to make your proposal legal.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:36 am

Would you encourage the use of words such as "requires" instead of "encourages," regarding the monetary incentives? Obviously, The WA can't actually force doctors to go anywhere against their will. That would be a human rights violation in and of itself. I also can't make the education campaign mandatory, that would violate international sovereignty and possibly some "other things" since many nations don't have any state run media. That would be forcing the free press to publish something. I can't do that.

I am also planning to categorize it under "HEALTH" as "International Aid."
Last edited by Libertas Omnium Maximus on Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:50 am

"Ambassador, is there a particular reason you use the phrase 'doctor-to-citizen ratio' rather than the more statistically useful (and less classist) term 'doctor-to-patient ratio'? Some of the places medical professionals are sorely needed have large immigrant or other non-citizen populations."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 am

Old Hope wrote:OOC: Categories with an Area of Effect cannot be Mild.

OOC: Have you checked GenSec rulings to make sure that still applies?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 am

Araraukar wrote:

OOC:I checked the rulings that involved the Strength clause - none of them seem to apply or I missed something.
Last edited by Old Hope on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:58 am

Araraukar wrote:

OOC: Old Hope is, astonishingly, right, but only narrowly. Mild is not a valid AoE for Health. It should be Health | Healthcare. As I recall, AoEs have a statistical effect equivalent to Mild, though nothing requires the text of the resolution be mild in tone or effect when using an AoE. My personal theory is that AoEs are already narrowed such that even a severe resolution would affect only a narrow band of policy.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:36 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: As I recall, AoEs have a statistical effect equivalent to Mild, though nothing requires the text of the resolution be mild in tone or effect when using an AoE.

OOC: I thought that they were at least comparable to 'Significant'. At any rate, for 'Environmental' a single-Industry choice has the same total effect on a nation's stats as 'All Businesses (Strong)' rather than 'All Businesses (Mild)'...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:41 am

I have attempted to address the trivial issues in the resolution. The edits have been made directly to the proposal and are visible above. I would love any suggestions you all may have as to the strength issue. Thanks for your time!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 am

Libertas Omnium Maximus wrote:I have attempted to address the trivial issues in the resolution. The edits have been made directly to the proposal and are visible above. I would love any suggestions you all may have as to the strength issue. Thanks for your time!

OOC: You don't list a strength when writing in a category that has areas of effect. The area of effect is the strength. You don't have to worry about that part.

Bears Armed wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: As I recall, AoEs have a statistical effect equivalent to Mild, though nothing requires the text of the resolution be mild in tone or effect when using an AoE.

OOC: I thought that they were at least comparable to 'Significant'. At any rate, for 'Environmental' a single-Industry choice has the same total effect on a nation's stats as 'All Businesses (Strong)' rather than 'All Businesses (Mild)'...

OOC: I could be mis-remembering, certainly. The statistics are not my strong suit.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:44 am

Category is fixed. Thanks

The Galactic Liberal Democracy
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Galactic Liberal Democracy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:47 am

This abbreviates to DEA. Coincidence, right?
NOT STORMTROOPERS
Cossack Khanate wrote:This shall forever be known as World War Sh*t: Newark Aggression. Now if I see one more troop deployed, I will call on the force of all the Hindu gods to reverse time and wipe your race of the face of the planet. Cease.

The Black Party wrote:(TBP kamikaze's into all 99999999999 nukes before they hit our territory because we just have that many pilots ready to die for dah blak regime, we also counter-attack into your nation with our entire population of 45 million because this RP allows it.)

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Galatic Liberal Democracy short-circuits all of NS with FACTS and LOGIC

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:51 am

I honestly know not of what you speak, DEA?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 pm

(OOC:
Libertas Omnium Maximus wrote:I honestly know not of what you speak, DEA?
A DEA is a registration number given to healthcare providers, such as doctors, by the US drug agency in order to facilitate prescriptions being given.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:30 pm

A hysterical coincidence. Not at all my intention. Hysterical non the less.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:52 pm

“I have a question regarding this legislation; what exactly are you hoping to solve? What is the issue this draft is trying to fix, and why are you addressing it in this way? I ask this because I can’t see any actual effect that your active clauses will have if they are passed.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:57 pm

The operative clauses are supposed to highly encourage nations with developed economies to incentivize doctors to become mission doctors. If that is unclear I would. love a suggested way to improve the clauses.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:51 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:"Ambassador, is there a particular reason you use the phrase 'doctor-to-citizen ratio' rather than the more statistically useful (and less classist) term 'doctor-to-patient ratio'? Some of the places medical professionals are sorely needed have large immigrant or other non-citizen populations."

I fixed this.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:57 am

OOC
'Health (Healthcare)' improves healthcare in member nations. This proposal encourages member nations to send their "surplus" doctors abroad, not necessarily to other member nations. i'm not sure that it fits.
'Health (International Aid)' might be better. I'll think further about this.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:04 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
'Health (Healthcare)' improves healthcare in member nations. This proposal encourages member nations to send their "surplus" doctors abroad, not necessarily to other member nations. i'm not sure that it fits.
'Health (International Aid)' might be better. I'll think further about this.

I am obviously not a GenSec member, but I like to think that I know a thing or two about resolutions in general. It would make more sense for this proposal to be classified as Health: International Aid over Health: Healthcare, in my opinion. Something about health would be a pharmaceutical restriction or something of that ilk, whereas International Aid would be more associated with sending monetary or practical assets to nations in need.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:01 pm

Libertas Omnium Maximus wrote:It would make more sense for this proposal to be classified as Health: International Aid over Health: Healthcare, in my opinion.

OOC: ...which is exactly what Bears said?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly