NATION

PASSWORD

Suggestion: Customize Nation Currency Exchange Ratio

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Danternoust
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Suggestion: Customize Nation Currency Exchange Ratio

Postby Danternoust » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:26 am

Right now my newspapers cost 1 kilojoule. It would be nice to specify exchange ratios in comparison with the Euro, maybe by order of magnitude.
Bombadil wrote:He has no basis in fact. He will not succeed. He has no chance. He is deluded in thinking he has a chance.

He may take unprecedented action, that's true.

The Margaritas
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Margaritas » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:30 am

Danternoust wrote:Right now my newspapers cost 1 kilojoule. It would be nice to specify exchange ratios in comparison with the Euro, maybe by order of magnitude.

My currency is the Margarian Franc

1 USD= 1.50 Franc

1 EUR= 1.71 Franc

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:24 pm

This would be cool, but probably not worth the trouble to code.

My exchange rate is ‬₹114=$1NSD, so issues that mention quantities of money tend to be unrealistic, since they assume a value close to $1. It's kind of low-key annoying, but the amount of work it would take to resolve is not worth it when only a handful of players actually use currencies far enough from $1 for it to be a problem.

The Margaritas wrote:\
My currency is the Margarian Franc

1 USD= 1.50 Franc

1 EUR= 1.71 Franc

^This sort of thing is more common than nations like mine.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Danternoust wrote:Right now my newspapers cost 1 kilojoule. It would be nice to specify exchange ratios in comparison with the Euro, maybe by order of magnitude.
...You're seriously using the kilojoule as a currency? A megajoule would be worth a few cents at current electricity prices, depending on where you are. Either use a currency that describes a useful quantity (megajoule or gigajoule), or stick with the SI base unit (joule) so people can apply whatever prefix they need for the amount they're handling right now.

Anyway, the problem with an exchange rate is that every nation in NationStates exists in a vacuum, defined only by its own actions without the ability to interact with other nations in gameplay (except through the WA). There's nothing to exchange with.

Also, if you actually coded issues to multiply their described costs by a user-entered exchange rate, this would lead to a lot of things having improbable costs like 13.274 instead of being rounded to nice numbers like real shops would usually do. Practically, issues rarely mention any explicit currency values, and shouldn't be taken too seriously when they do.

The Sherpa Empire wrote:My exchange rate is ‬₹114=$1NSD, so issues that mention quantities of money tend to be unrealistic, since they assume a value close to $1. It's kind of low-key annoying, but the amount of work it would take to resolve is not worth it when only a handful of players actually use currencies far enough from $1 for it to be a problem.
The "NSD" does not canonically exist. It was made up by roleplayers and is never used by the game itself. Therefore, the game cannot tell you how much anything is worth relative to it.

The actual currency used by the game itself is the Standard Monetary Unit. I have estimated a real-life comparison of 5 SMU = 1 USD, based on this putting the richest NationStates nations as slightly better than the richest real-life nations, but not to an absurd degree (this does lead to the poorest NationStates nations being truly pathetic, as in average income of one cent per year - don't ask me what they eat).

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:21 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
...You're seriously using the kilojoule as a currency? A megajoule would be worth a few cents at current electricity prices, depending on where you are. Either use a currency that describes a useful quantity (megajoule or gigajoule), or stick with the SI base unit (joule) so people can apply whatever prefix they need for the amount they're handling right now.

Anyway, the problem with an exchange rate is that every nation in NationStates exists in a vacuum, defined only by its own actions without the ability to interact with other nations in gameplay (except through the WA). There's nothing to exchange with.

Also, if you actually coded issues to multiply their described costs by a user-entered exchange rate, this would lead to a lot of things having improbable costs like 13.274 instead of being rounded to nice numbers like real shops would usually do. Practically, issues rarely mention any explicit currency values, and shouldn't be taken too seriously when they do.

The Sherpa Empire wrote:My exchange rate is ‬₹114=$1NSD, so issues that mention quantities of money tend to be unrealistic, since they assume a value close to $1. It's kind of low-key annoying, but the amount of work it would take to resolve is not worth it when only a handful of players actually use currencies far enough from $1 for it to be a problem.
The "NSD" does not canonically exist. It was made up by roleplayers and is never used by the game itself. Therefore, the game cannot tell you how much anything is worth relative to it.

The actual currency used by the game itself is the Standard Monetary Unit. I have estimated a real-life comparison of 5 SMU = 1 USD, based on this putting the richest NationStates nations as slightly better than the richest real-life nations, but not to an absurd degree (this does lead to the poorest NationStates nations being truly pathetic, as in average income of one cent per year - don't ask me what they eat).

Stop pretending to be some kind of authority. The Sherpa Empire's prices are borked because the game expects rupees to work like dollars, and it was abundantly clear what I was talking about. Neither your comments to me nor your critique of Danternoust's choice to use "kilojoules" as his national currency are at all helpful.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Return to Technical