NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] International Criminal Protocol

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27433
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:10 am

Wallenburg wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:If the solitary confinement is longer than a few days, extending to weeks and months then yes it arguably is torture. However, interpreting the text in the proposal as it is written, it bans all solitary confinement, even for a matter of hours or days. Short term solitary isn't torture.

Yes, it is.

Short term? For hours or days? Really?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

NS Hitman
White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Tinfect
Senator
 
Posts: 4954
Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:17 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:Yes, it is.

Short term? For hours or days? Really?


OOC:
Yes. Please research the subject.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, Male
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, Male
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, Female


Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: Subspace Barrier secured, Aeravahn incursion withdraws from Interior Territories | Military Overseer executed, 4th Fleet Saraali Avalis Saar succeeding, announces Military Reform | Civil Oversight suspends Development Plans | 42nd Legion Teravas Illaren Errent defects to Aeravahn following discovery of involvement in destruction of Hathien | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27433
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:37 am

Tinfect wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Short term? For hours or days? Really?


OOC:
Yes. Please research the subject.

Even just a cursory glance on Wikipedia shows this:

Solitary confinement is considered to be a form of psychological torture with measurable long-term physiological effects when the period of confinement is longer than a few weeks or is continued indefinitely.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

NS Hitman
White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Tinfect
Senator
 
Posts: 4954
Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:43 am

The New California Republic wrote:Even just a cursory glance on Wikipedia shows this:

Solitary confinement is considered to be a form of psychological torture with measurable long-term physiological effects when the period of confinement is longer than a few weeks or is continued indefinitely.


OOC:
A cursory glance on wikipedia is not research.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, Male
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, Male
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, Female


Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: Subspace Barrier secured, Aeravahn incursion withdraws from Interior Territories | Military Overseer executed, 4th Fleet Saraali Avalis Saar succeeding, announces Military Reform | Civil Oversight suspends Development Plans | 42nd Legion Teravas Illaren Errent defects to Aeravahn following discovery of involvement in destruction of Hathien | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27433
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:51 am

Tinfect wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Even just a cursory glance on Wikipedia shows this:

Solitary confinement is considered to be a form of psychological torture with measurable long-term physiological effects when the period of confinement is longer than a few weeks or is continued indefinitely.


OOC:
A cursory glance on wikipedia is not research.

So you are going to engage in some handwaving? :roll:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

NS Hitman
White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Kenmoria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6227
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:43 am

Tinfect wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Short term? For hours or days? Really?


OOC:
Yes. Please research the subject.

(OOC: I don’t think research is required. It seems obvious to me that a few hours of time in solitary confinement do not constitute torture. School isolations can consist of multiple hours without teacher presence, alone, but are clearly not a case of torture.)
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Gleo Island
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Apr 29, 2020
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Gleo Island » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:50 am

I get this idea for anyone captured from another nation i would not want my people treated that way without someone from my country giving it the ok. but i feel if we catch someone of our own and believe they deserve it, we should be able to have this happen. Im against.

User avatar
Sierra Lyricalia
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 3673
Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:55 am

"For those of you losing your minds about no longer being able to toss a self-aware adult into a black pit with only their own fraying inner monologue for companionship, the proposal doesn't say no administrative punishments may be applied to prisoners. Dangerous prisoners may still be kept apart from others, and nothing herein states that a problematic inmate may not be subject to constant contraband inspections, perennial laundry duty, or other steps designed to deter bad behavior. Being upset about not having a single-serving medieval dungeon available to cow individuals into submission is rather missing the point. Waahhhhhh, we have to treat prisoners as though they're sapient individuals with rights instead of animals to be conditioned, however shall we cope with this dire invitation to chaos???"

Leo rolls his eyes and sits down.



...oh. All OOC? Of course. OK, well, for some reason I'm in the habit of doing other people's research for them...
International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology wrote:In 1890, the U.S. Supreme Court commented on the adverse effects of solitary confinement in prisons:

A considerable number of prisoners fell, after even a short confinement, into a semi-fatuous condition, from which it was next to impossible to arouse them, and others became violently insane; others still, committed suicide; while those who stood the ordeal better were not generally reformed, and in most cases did not recover sufficient mental activity to be of any subsequent service to the community. (In re Medley, 1890)

...

With respect to short-term administrative segregation, Bonta and Gendreau (1995) noted that “solitary confinement may not be cruel and unusual punishment under the humane and time-limited conditions investigated in experimental studies or in correctional jurisdictions that have well-defined and effectively administered ethical guidelines for its use” (p. 86). Indeed, in actual practice, the environmental circumstances of solitary confinement do not resemble the safe and sanitized conditions that are typical of research studies (Zinger & Wichmann, 1999). Moreover, as Roberts and Jackson (1991) asserted, the effects of short-term incarceration may not be revealed in experimental research because of the limitations of the instruments used to measure psychological consequences.7

(Source)


Vera Institute of Justice wrote:In 1997, psychologists Craig Haney and Mona Lynch reviewed dozens of studies conducted since the 1970s and concluded that there was not a single study of non-voluntary solitary confinement for more than 10 days that did not document negative psychiatric symptoms in its subjects (Haney and Lynch 1997). Two years later in Ruiz v. Johnson, a federal court in Texas ruled that conditions in that state’s administrative segregation units—“extreme deprivations which cause profound and obvious psychological pain and suffering”—violated the Constitution’s prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. While experts believe that prolonged isolation is always harmful, they note that very short-term isolation—for less than 24 hours—can be used in extreme circumstances as a therapeutic intervention to stabilize someone who is completely out of control and to prevent harm to self or others. For isolation to fulfill a therapeutic purpose, as opposed to managing or punishing the prisoner, a trained mental health professional must be involved throughout the process...

(Source [PDF])

...so between prohibiting punitive solitary confinement for longer than a few hours, under extremely strict (for the prison staff) conditions, and prohibiting it entirely, there's not that much difference - certainly not enough to justify a vote against this. Continuing to get bent out of shape is for the orcs.


edits: IC word choice; forgot a closing parenthesis; missed one obnoxious PDF line break
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral, The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
.
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
.
Illustrious Bum #279


User avatar
The New California Republic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27433
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:00 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:...oh. All OOC? Of course. OK, well, for some reason I'm in the habit of doing other people's research for them...
International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology wrote:In 1890, the U.S. Supreme Court commented on the adverse effects of solitary confinement in prisons:

A considerable number of prisoners fell, after even a short confinement, into a semi-fatuous condition, from which it was next to impossible to arouse them, and others became violently insane; others still, committed suicide; while those who stood the ordeal better were not generally reformed, and in most cases did not recover sufficient mental activity to be of any subsequent service to the community. (In re Medley, 1890)

...

With respect to short-term administrative segregation, Bonta and Gendreau (1995) noted that “solitary confinement may not be cruel and unusual punishment under the humane and time-limited conditions investigated in experimental studies or in correctional jurisdictions that have well-defined and effectively administered
ethical guidelines for its use” (p. 86). Indeed, in actual practice, the environmental circumstances of solitary confinement do not resemble the safe and sanitized conditions that are typical of research studies (Zinger & Wichmann, 1999). Moreover, as Roberts and Jackson (1991) asserted, the effects of short-term incarceration may not be revealed in experimental research because of the limitations of the instruments used to measure psychological consequences.7

(Source)


Vera Institute of Justice wrote:In 1997, psychologists Craig Haney and Mona Lynch reviewed dozens of studies conducted since the 1970s and concluded that there was not a single study of non-voluntary solitary confinement for more than 10 days that did not document negative psychiatric symptoms in its subjects (Haney and Lynch 1997). Two years later in Ruiz v. Johnson, a federal court in Texas ruled that conditions in that state’s administrative segregation units—“extreme deprivations which cause profound and obvious psychological pain and suffering”—violated the Constitution’s prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. While experts believe that prolonged isolation is always harmful, they note that very short-term isolation—for less than 24 hours—can be used in extreme circumstances as a therapeutic intervention to stabilize someone who is completely out of control and to prevent harm to self or others. For isolation to fulfill a therapeutic purpose, as opposed to managing or punishing the prisoner, a trained mental health professional must be involved throughout the process...

(Source [PDF])

...so between prohibiting punitive solitary confinement for longer than a few hours, under extremely strict (for the prison staff) conditions, and prohibiting it entirely, there's not that much difference - certainly not enough to justify a vote against this. Continuing to get bent out of shape is for the orcs.


edits: IC word choice; forgot a closing parenthesis

To be fair I was busy when I made the reply, and made the reply on my phone, so I needed something quick to throw out there, rather than copying and pasting several quotes. ;)
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

NS Hitman
White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
The Shandmas
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Sep 18, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Shandmas » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:54 am

Miss Stalinski reads the resolution carefully while alternating between giggles and confused glances. At last, she says "so tell me, how does this effect our nation? We have neither a constitution nor a judicial system. The word of our chairman-fuehrur-emperor is usually the final say."

User avatar
21st Century Peronia
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 10
Founded: Jul 10, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby 21st Century Peronia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:42 pm

21st Century Peronia will accompany this Resolution with its favorable vote in the Assembly. The government of our glorious Nation is promoting many structural changes, whose premise is social justice. In this context, the President is carrying out a necessary prison reform, aimed at improving the inhumane conditions that prisoners had prior to their arrival to the presidency.

We understand that, accompanying this Resolution, we will take a great step in our prison reform, aimed at the humanization of institutes and the dignity of prisoners.

User avatar
Araraukar
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15138
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:49 pm

OOC: No IC objections, given the restrictions are now sane and align with common sense. ^_^
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Coronavirus related. This too. And this. These are all jokes. This isn't. This is, again, but it's also the last one.

User avatar
Kenmoria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6227
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:09 am

The Shandmas wrote:Miss Stalinski reads the resolution carefully while alternating between giggles and confused glances. At last, she says "so tell me, how does this effect our nation? We have neither a constitution nor a judicial system. The word of our chairman-fuehrur-emperor is usually the final say."

“Assuming that the chairman-führer-emperor constitutes the entirety of judicial sentencing within your nation, this would restrict the ability of the aforementioned individual to hand out any of the punishments prohibited by this proposal. The legislation’s mandates don’t rely on being authorised by a specific body, but apply to whomever might apply them within a member state.”
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Coconut Palm Island
Envoy
 
Posts: 315
Founded: Feb 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Coconut Palm Island » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:28 pm

The King of Coconut Palm Island emphatically supports this proposal, and has ordered our delegate to vote for this proposal, and to encourage other delegates to do the same. Our nation already complies with these guidelines. We do not use capital punishment in any circumstances. None of our inmates are ever housed in what this resolution describes as inhumane conditions, and we encourage nations to hold treatment of inmates to a much higher standard. Our nation doesn't use what the resolution describes as "severe confinement"-- the strongest punishment we give (other than a longer sentence) is confinement to one's living quarters, and even than they still may talk to counselors, visitors, and friends in the facility (albeit it may be through glass or behind bars). In addition, there is no "protective confinement," as all inmates are protected at all times. In traditional prisons, inmates basically must join gangs or be threatened-- in our nation, inmates are always supervised when around other inmates, unless all inmates consent to be alone with the others (usually, inmates will maintain a list of close inmate friends that the guards are allowed to leave them alone with).

In addition, we encourage other nations to hold their corrections systems to higher standards. In our nation, inmates are entitled to nutritious and good-tasting food, high-quality mental and physical healthcare (including all medicines and surgeries), their choice of clothing, housing in clean facilities, constant protection but the ability to have privacy in one's own quarters, access to the internet and entertainment, access to education and job training, and high-quality recreation activities (sports, clubs, etc) except when being punished. In addition, the only punishments we use are loss of privileges (less recreation time, etc) or confinement to quarters in severe cases (they still have the right to see others through glass/bars to keep them from having mental health issues).

The King emphasizes other nations to hold their correction systems to high standards. Incarceration shouldn't be a punishment, but rather a way to keep society safe from violent offenders, and to rehabilitate such offenders. The King reminds all that crime isn't an issue of "right" vs "wrong" or "good" vs "bad", but rather a response to social, mental, or financial desperation.
The Kingdom of Coconut Palm Island
His Royal Majesty King Alexander
News: Criminal Rehabilitation Act passes with overwhelming support in the Senate and championed by the King. The act is a revision of a 2008 bill standardizing criminal sentencing.

User avatar
Umeria
Diplomat
 
Posts: 616
Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:11 pm

Congratulations on getting resolution 500!
Ambassador Anthony Lockwood, at your service.
Author of GAR #389

"Umeria - We start with U"

User avatar
Tinhampton
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6981
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:26 am

International Criminal Protocol was passed 10,490 votes to 6,680.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP) ~ Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador ~ Who is she, really?
3 Security Council Resolutions + 0 co-authored:
A: SC#250, Repeal "Liberate Femdom Empire" (87%)
A: SC#251, Commend Alasdair I Frosticus (91%)
A: SC#267, Repeal "Liberate The East Pacific" (90%)

1 General Assembly Resolution + 1 co-authored:
A: GA#484, Disease Naming Compact (54%)
C: GA#491, Rights of the employed (54%)

0 Issues + 1 secondary co-authorship:
C: Issue #1115, One in the Arm for @@LEADER@@?

1 major football tournament:
Winners: Cup of Harmony 73

User avatar
Picairn
Diplomat
 
Posts: 567
Founded: Feb 21, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Picairn » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:20 am

"We would like to offer our formal congratulations for the ambassador from Tinfect upon successfully passing his resolution. Also we want to inform you that the Parliament and the people of Picairn, in a display of commitment, has passed and ratified a Constitutional Amendment - specifically Article 83: Ban on Forced Prisoner Labor - to honor a critical part of the resolution forever."
Last edited by Picairn on Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Relations
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Pauline M. Warburton (Staff)
Long live the Emperor!
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Ayn Rand is a war criminal

Vivian James wrote:It is sophistry to try to redefine your opponent's arguments. It might feel good...

But so can jerking off in a subway.

The Emerald Legion wrote:Nobody generates wealth. Wealth exists. You simply shift it around, or sometimes discover more.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads