NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED 1/3/19] Stop The Traffic!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED 1/3/19] Stop The Traffic!

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:48 am

THIRD DRAFT:

TITLE:

Stop The Traffic!

VALIDITY:

Capitalism, Somewhat tight border controls, Not state controlled media, No sanctioned slavery.

DESCRIPTION:

An award-winning journalistic exposé recently revealed a multitude of basement factories in @@CAPITAL@@ where illegal immigrant workers were being forced to "work their passage" by their exploitative masters. The police have now dealt with these cases, but it seems likely that widespread human trafficking is continuing.

OPTION ONE

"It's your fault!" rages Joe 'Everyman' @@randomsurname@@, stomping his feet, which are clad in fake Nike trainers probably made in an illegal sweatshop. "You should be putting money into beating modern slavery! We need special task forces, undercover cops, dudes with SMGs and those glowy night-vision goggles that you see in the movies. No expense is too much to save these poor people!"

OUTCOME:

police are more likely to say "hut hut hut" than "ello ello ello"

OPTION TWO

"Maybe we could avoid tying funding to specific endeavours?" complains @@CAPITAL@@ Police Chief @@randomname@@. "While this is abhorrent crime, we could spend more effectively if we set our own priorities, such as traffic control, patrols to catch fly-tippers, and pay rises for general morale. You should allow us to find the best evidence-based and cost-effective ways to reduce crime, rather than letting news headlines dictate public policy."

OUTCOME:

police insist that free donut dispensers in every station are essential to the rule of law

OPTION THREE

"Hey, don't sweat it, we've got your backs," interjects hero-of-the-hour journalist @@randomname@@, clutching @@HIS@@ Pushitzer Prize close to @@HIS@@ chest. "In fact, you could probably even cut police spending, as the free press is doing their job for them. Less policing means more juicy crime stories for us to tell you about, and less taxpayer money wasted. Everyone wins, right?"

OUTCOME:

many criminals would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky journalists

OPTION FOUR

"I don't see why I'm the bad guy here," argues handcuffed factory owner @@randomname@@, from the police station cells. "I mean, I've helped create cheaper prices on the high street, and turned would-be welfare scroungers and illegal aliens into productive members of society. If you ask me, @@NAME@@ could use a little more unpaid labour to keep the wheels of industry turning. Think about it, eh?"

OUTCOME:

office workers are literally chained to their desks

SECOND DRAFT:

TITLE:

Stop The Traffic!

VALIDITY:

Capitalism, Somewhat tight border controls, Not state controlled media, No sanctioned slavery.

DESCRIPTION:

In an award-winning journalistic exposé, investigative reporters went deep into the underbelly of human trafficking business, leading to the revelation of half-a-dozen basement factories in @@CAPITAL@@ where illegal immigrant workers were being forced to "work their passage" by their exploitative masters. While the police have now dealt with these cases, there is public uproar over why it was journalists rather than police officers who uncovered this slave ring.

OPTION ONE

"It's your fault!" rages Joe 'Everyman' @@randomsurname@@, stomping his feet, which are clad in fake Nike trainers that you're positive came from one of those factories. "You should be putting a big wodge of government money into beating modern slavery, to whip this shadow industry into the light of day! We need special task forces on the police, undercover cops, dudes with SMGs and helicopters and those glowy night vision goggles that you see in Tom Chancy movies. No expense is too much to save these poor people!"

OUTCOME:

OPTION TWO

"Look, I'm all for more police funding, but maybe we could avoid tying that funding to specific endeavours?" complains @@CAPITAL@@ Police Chief @@randomname@@, who has overseen the capital's policing for ten years without having any inkling of the slave trade occurring under @@HIS@@ aegis. "This is aborrhent crime, but we could spend the cash much more effectively if we set our own priorities. For example, I'd personally direct funds to traffic control, patrols to catch fly-tippers, and pay rises for general morale. Trust in your police officers to spend money in the best evidence-based ways to reduce crime, and we'll use taxpayer money far more effectively than if you let news headlines dictate public policy."

OUTCOME:

police insist that free donut dispensers in every station are essential to the rule of law

OPTION THREE

"Hey, don't sweat it, we've got your backs," interjects @@randomname@@, the journalist who blew the slave ring open, clutching his Piliyitzer Prize close to @@HIS@@ chest. "You don't need any more police spending, as the free press is supplementing their work with great investigative journalism! In fact, you could probably even cut police spending. Less policing means more juicy crime stories for us to tell you about, and less taxpayer money wasted. Everyone wins, right?"

OUTCOME:

many criminals would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky journalists

OPTION FOUR

"Personally, I don't see why I'm the bad guy here," says handcuffed factory owner @@randomname@@, from the police station cells. "I mean, I've helped contribute to cheaper prices on the high street, and turned would-be welfare scroungers and illegal aliens into productive members of society. If you ask me, @@NAME@@ could use a little more unpaid labour to keep the wheels of industry turning. Think about it, eh?"

OUTCOME:

FIRST DRAFT:
TITLE:

Stop The Traffic!

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

In an award-winning journalistic exposé, investigative reporters went deep into the underbelly of human trafficking business, leading to the revelation of half-a-dozen basement factories in @@CAPITAL@@ where illegal immigrant workers were being forced to "work their passage" by their exploitative masters. While the police have now dealt with these cases, there is public uproar over why it was journalists rather than police officers who uncovered this slave ring.

OPTION ONE

"It's your fault!" rages Joe 'Everyman' @@randomsurname@@, stomping his feet, which are clad in fake Nike trainers that you're positive came from one of those factories. "You should be putting a big wodge of government money into beating modern slavery, to whip this shadow industry into the light of day! We need special task forces on the police, undercover cops, dudes with SMGs and helicopters and those glowy night vision goggles that you see in Tom Chancy movies. No expense is too much to save these poor people!"

OUTCOME:

OPTION TWO

"Look, I'm all for more police funding, but maybe we could avoid tying that funding to specific endeavours?" complains @@CAPITAL@@ Police Chief @@randomname@@, who has overseen the capital's policing for ten years without having any inkling of the slave trade occurring under @@HIS@@ aegis. "This is aborrhent crime, but we could spend the cash much more effectively if we set our own priorities. For example, I'd personally direct funds to traffic control, patrols to catch fly-tippers, and pay rises for general morale. Trust in your police officers to spend money in the best evidence-based ways to reduce crime, and we'll use taxpayer money far more effectively than if you let news headlines dictate public policy."

OUTCOME:

OPTION THREE

"Hey, don't sweat it, we've got your backs," interjects @@randomname@@, the journalist who blew the slave ring open, clutching his Pushitzer Prize close to @@HIS@@ chest. "You don't need any more police spending, as the free press is supplementing their work with great investigative journalism! In fact, you could probably even cut police spending. Less police means more juicy crime stories for us to tell you about, and less taxpayer money wasted. Everyone wins, right?"

OUTCOME:

OPTION FOUR

"Personally, I don't see why I'm the bad guy here," says handcuffed human trafficker @@randomname@@, from the police station cells. "I mean, I've helped contribute to cheaper prices on the high street, and turned would-be welfare scroungers and illegal aliens into productive members of society. If you ask me, @@NAME@@ could use a little more unpaid labour to keep the wheels of industry turning. Think about it, eh?"

OUTCOME:

Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:27 am, edited 13 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:04 am

I like this issue. I am curious if there are examples of a major furor occurring due to journalists finding something before police do (since police responsibility is typically to respond to and investigate reported crimes, rather than seek out and uncover unreported ones), but regardless of why people are up in arms, I like the issue.

Option 1:
I’m not entirely sure I understand the effect text. I know “ello ello ello” is the classic inquiry of an English Bobby chancing upon a crime, but I’m not familiar with “hut hut hut” as an expression.

Option 3:
I’m wondering if “Pushitzer” will sadly run afoul of the Scunthorpe problem due to dumb filters on work and school computers. Also, I would probably change “Less police” to “Less policing” to avoid triggering the less/fewer censors in readers’ brains. As written, it is potentially both correct and incorrect depending on how people interpret “police,” but “policing” avoids that problem while retaining the same meaning.

Option 4:
A good one. I might call him a factory owner rather than a human trafficker, unless it’s meant to be implied that he both trafficked the people in, and then enslaved them himself. Just a personal preference with regards to how I usually hear the term human trafficker being used (which is, specifically to refer to the people who are facilitating the movement of others across borders).

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:14 am

Option 1- Can you use the word "Nike"?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:39 am

Verdant Haven wrote:I like this issue. I am curious if there are examples of a major furor occurring due to journalists finding something before police do (since police responsibility is typically to respond to and investigate reported crimes, rather than seek out and uncover unreported ones), but regardless of why people are up in arms, I like the issue.

Option 1:
I’m not entirely sure I understand the effect text. I know “ello ello ello” is the classic inquiry of an English Bobby chancing upon a crime, but I’m not familiar with “hut hut hut” as an expression.

It's an American Football expression, often also used in the military and by SWAT teams to indicate combat mobilisation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atks5rRqQkg

Option 3:
I’m wondering if “Pushitzer” will sadly run afoul of the Scunthorpe problem due to dumb filters on work and school computers. Also, I would probably change “Less police” to “Less policing” to avoid triggering the less/fewer censors in readers’ brains. As written, it is potentially both correct and incorrect depending on how people interpret “police,” but “policing” avoids that problem while retaining the same meaning.

I totally hadn't noticed the rude word in the middle! I was just going for Push instead of Pull!

Hmm. Pillitzer will work just as well.

Will change police to policing too.

Option 4:
A good one. I might call him a factory owner rather than a human trafficker, unless it’s meant to be implied that he both trafficked the people in, and then enslaved them himself. Just a personal preference with regards to how I usually hear the term human trafficker being used (which is, specifically to refer to the people who are facilitating the movement of others across borders).

Good call.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:55 am

I agree with Aussie on Nike.

Nike was the Greek goddess of victory, and the brand was named after her. Her Roman counterpart is Victoria, so maybe you could do something with it.

Or you could change the spelling to Nigh-key. It wouldn't surprise me after I've seen aclidas shoes in Turkey. Hehe.

Other than that, this is a very neat issue.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:26 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I agree with Aussie on Nike.

Nike was the Greek goddess of victory, and the brand was named after her. Her Roman counterpart is Victoria, so maybe you could do something with it.

Or you could change the spelling to Nigh-key. It wouldn't surprise me after I've seen aclidas shoes in Turkey. Hehe.

I'm inclined to use Nike as is, because Max set the precedent in his novel. :) I'd also observe 224 and 594 use Nike as a surname.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 am

Draft 3 gets the issue compressed onto one page, hopefully with no information or humour loss. Comments still welcome.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:56 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I agree with Aussie on Nike.

I'm inclined to use Nike as is, because Max set the precedent in his novel. :) I'd also observe 224 and 594 use Nike as a surname.

I also have a concern about Nike. While Max set the precedent in his novel, and Nike is used in two issues, there's a difference between using NIke as a surname and associating a trademarked company (and the name is trademarked) with "probably making shoes in an illegal sweatshop".

Can I persuade you to change the name to "Hike" or something?

An obvious misspelling would seem to suggest counterfeiting more. Isn't there an alphabet where the capital N looks like a capital H -- is it the Cyrillic alphabet IIRC.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:47 am

There's incidentally a backwards N in Cyrillic as well, which is actually pronounced "ee", so...
a pair of Иikes is really a pair of "Yikes!". :rofl:

(incidentally "y" is actually Й, at least in Russian, made to be a "short ee". Something along those lines)

edit: added Cyrillic characters.
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:53 am

I'd note as well that in Max's novel, the characters surname was Nike because they worked for Nike, and of course the premise of the book is that Nike is staging murders to drive the popularity of its shoes.

Also, of course, the real life Nike has been proven to have used sweatshop labour in the past, and in this issue they're not real Nikes anyway - they're fakes being made in said sweatshops.

I'm going to stick to my guns here, and keep it as Nike on the submission. Having said that, if you were to edit it (hint hint :) ) I would of course defer to the decision of the named editor on the issue.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:49 pm

How do you get unpaid labour? Even slaves had a little bit of a salary. Were they kidnapped?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:28 am

Australian rePublic wrote:How do you get unpaid labour?

By forcing people to work for you without pay. Seriously, this is something that is really happening, Aussie. For example they may be coerced into work, threatened with violence or death, threatened to be exposed for deportation back to whatever hellhole they came from, abused (physically, sexually, psychologically) and trapped with illegal contracts that the workers don't know are illegal (for example, being told that they are required to repay the costs of their passage over to the country and also their room and board, resulting in a term of work with no actual pay after deductions), and directly imprisoned and/or physically restrained.

I envy your naivete here, but also feel morally obliged to make you aware of the real world you live in:

https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-tod ... n-slavery/

Even slaves had a little bit of a salary.

This statement is wrong in several ways.

Firstly, you're referring to slavery in the past tense, whereas it continues to be a modern day phenomenon.

Secondly, the vast majority of slaves forced to work throughout history did not receive any payment for their work. That's what made them slaves, dude.

Thirdly, the concept of slavery actually predates the concept of salary by some millennia.

Were they kidnapped?

Effectively, yes.

Seriously mate, you need to read up both about the history of slavery, and the context of modern day slavery. It is your responsibility as an adult human being to know about these things.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:43 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Secondly, the vast majority of slaves forced to work throughout history did not receive any payment for their work. That's what made them slaves, dude.
They did generally receive food. Not money, of course, and not usually good food, either, but enough not to starve.

This is still considered "unpaid labor" by most people.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Thirdly, the concept of slavery actually predates the concept of salary by some millennia.
I find this questionable. Not that slavery isn't pretty old, but it has never been the sole source of labor. We definitively have proof of paid labor from the earliest cultures that left written records, and it probably dates back to as far as that "money" or even "trade" has been a serious thing. Without those, there's not much call for slaves, either.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:34 am

Good point - I guess it's about 11,000 years ago for both slavery and for employment in exchange for periodic agreed payment. Onset of agriculture, essentially.

I definitely can't prove slavery came first.

I think we're conversing over fine detail though. What I'm trying to point out to Aussie is that forced labour without payment exists and has existed for a long time.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:13 am

Nike aside, and the fundamental existence of slavery aside, anyone have any more comments on this before I put it to bed?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:08 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:hero-of-the-hour journalist @@randomname@@, clutching his Pullyitzer Prize close to @@HIS@@ chest
1. Your first pronoun also needs to be a macro.
2. Is there a reason for spelling the prize that way? I can't make out any pun, and if it's not a pun, then changing only one letter from the real-life name it's based on it pretty lazy and looks more like a typo than a deliberate parody.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:28 am

Yeah, you're right. I'll drop the pointless NSification and just call it "his Pulitzer Prize". Or @@HIS@@ Pulitzer Prize, rather.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:32 am

Bullitzer?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:39 am

Go for that low-hanging fruit. Make it Pushitzer.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:42 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:How do you get unpaid labour?

By forcing people to work for you without pay. Seriously, this is something that is really happening, Aussie. For example they may be coerced into work, threatened with violence or death, threatened to be exposed for deportation back to whatever hellhole they came from, abused (physically, sexually, psychologically) and trapped with illegal contracts that the workers don't know are illegal (for example, being told that they are required to repay the costs of their passage over to the country and also their room and board, resulting in a term of work with no actual pay after deductions), and directly imprisoned and/or physically restrained.

I envy your naivete here, but also feel morally obliged to make you aware of the real world you live in:

https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-tod ... n-slavery/

I'm well aware of how modern slavery work. Sorry about, I should have made this clearer. How does this specific instance of modern slavery work? How did these specific unpaid workers end up in this situation?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:10 pm

The implication of the description is that, as illegal immigrants, they had to rely on some disreputable smugglers to get into the country, and those smugglers are now not letting them go after having crossed the border.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:13 pm

Trotterdam wrote:The implication of the description is that, as illegal immigrants, they had to rely on some disreputable smugglers to get into the country, and those smugglers are now not letting them go after having crossed the border.

So passport confescation?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:20 pm

They're illegal immigrants. They don't have passports (at least, not for @@NAME@@).

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:54 am

Luna Amore wrote:Go for that low-hanging fruit. Make it Pushitzer.

Heh, I wasn't even playing for that when I used it originally. Just thought Pull -> Push.

Hell with it though. Reverted to Pushitzer.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:27 am

Okay, final bump on those month-old draft. Anyone got any further thoughts before I submit it?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?