NATION

PASSWORD

Human Sacrfice

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
SVR2200
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Human Sacrfice

Postby SVR2200 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:25 pm

[WARNING SPOILER]
I am against the human Sacrfice in any shape or form. I always voted it down but the policy of human Sacrfice sneaked trough anyways.
The question where they asked me what I think it's the best way to execute the criminals ( capital punishment related question). I answered down to the volcano with them. That's not a human Sacrfice & I think I should not hold the policy. What you all think?

Thanks & merry xmax nations states!
Last edited by SVR2200 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:40 pm

I'm guessing you're referring to issue 631, The Violet Mile

The text of the option you say you chose includes: “I visited a tribe who execute troublemakers and the occasional sacrificial virgin by throwing them into an active volcano. They say it pleases the gods, and keeps disaster at bay. Sounds like a sensible plan to me.”

If you endorse a suggestion to throw people in to a volcano to please the gods and keep disasters at bay, you are in fact endorsing sacrificing humans to appease some form of spirit, god, or power. That absolutely is human sacrifice.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SVR2200
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby SVR2200 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:28 am

Verdant Haven wrote:I'm guessing you're referring to issue 631, The Violet Mile

The text of the option you say you chose includes: “I visited a tribe who execute troublemakers and the occasional sacrificial virgin by throwing them into an active volcano. They say it pleases the gods, and keeps disaster at bay. Sounds like a sensible plan to me.”

If you endorse a suggestion to throw people in to a volcano to please the gods and keep disasters at bay, you are in fact endorsing sacrificing humans to appease some form of spirit, god, or power. That absolutely is human sacrifice.

Yes that's exactly the question. I messed it up then. Now I will have to just wait to put prisons back online so I can abolish capital punishment so the human Sacrfice question will pop up again to cancel it. Or doesn't need to be in this order. If I cancel capital punishment before employ the prisons that would mean all those psychos would be on street. Does it affect the stats in any way, let's say crime related death rate would ramp up ?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:38 am

SVR2200 wrote:
Verdant Haven wrote:I'm guessing you're referring to issue 631, The Violet Mile

Yes that's exactly the question. I messed it up then. Now I will have to just wait to put prisons back online so I can abolish capital punishment so the human Sacrfice question will pop up again to cancel it. Or doesn't need to be in this order. If I cancel capital punishment before employ the prisons that would mean all those psychos would be on street. Does it affect the stats in any way, let's say crime related death rate would ramp up ?

Abolishing capital punishment will not abolish human sacrifice. The two are separate statistics and can exist completely independently.

Capital punishment is a state-administered punishment. Human sacrifice is a religious ritual (and one that can be enforced on completely innocent parties).

Currently, human sacrifice can only be cancelled by #333 (No Sacrifice, No Sacrifice At All)

EDIT: Questions about your stats are easier answered when you received the issue. I can see you received #631 quite some time ago now. While editors can find out exactly what stat changes you had backstage, tracking it down takes a lot of time, and it's the festive season and I can't see anyone doing it.

In future, if you have any unexpected changes, my suggestion is that you go to the unusual effect thread on or soon after the day it happens, and report the issue. You'll need the name or number of the issue and the option you picked to make a report. The date, if not today, will also be helpful.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:32 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Capital punishment is a state-administered punishment. Human sacrifice is a religious ritual (and one that can be enforced on completely innocent parties).
I think that's exactly the point of contention here. While many sources of Human Sacrifice do indeed want to enforce it on innocent parties, #631's volcano option, while clearly practicing a form of human sacrifice, is specifically brought up in the context of what to do with guilty people people, not innocent ones.

However, on a closer inspection, the option says to sacrifice "troublemakers and the occasional sacrificial virgin". Sure, that's technically what the other tribe mentioned is doing, and no justification is ever given for how sacrificing innocent virgins (hey, virgins can commit crimes too) would be relevant to addressing the subject at hand, but the speaker does vaguely imply (by "sounds like a sensible plan to me") that he wants you to implement that part as well (probably to save the NationStates team the need to separately code a "human sacrifice of convicted criminals only" flag, which would be too rare and specialized to really be worth it).

SVR2200
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby SVR2200 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:38 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Capital punishment is a state-administered punishment. Human sacrifice is a religious ritual (and one that can be enforced on completely innocent parties).
I think that's exactly the point of contention here. While many sources of Human Sacrifice do indeed want to enforce it on innocent parties, #631's volcano option, while clearly practicing a form of human sacrifice, is specifically brought up in the context of what to do with guilty people people, not innocent ones.

However, on a closer inspection, the option says to sacrifice "troublemakers and the occasional sacrificial virgin". Sure, that's technically what the other tribe mentioned is doing, and no justification is ever given for how sacrificing innocent virgins (hey, virgins can commit crimes too) would be relevant to addressing the subject at hand, but the speaker does vaguely imply (by "sounds like a sensible plan to me") that he wants you to implement that part as well (probably to save the NationStates team the need to separately code a "human sacrifice of convicted criminals only" flag, which would be too rare and specialized to really be worth it).

Exactly the question is dodgy & interconnecting two separate thinks. I would not aprove human Sacrfice if I would know its sneaky question. I don't mind to wait on question #333 to outlaw human Sacrfice as the colleague suggested but it would be fair if we raise the voice so the devs can rephrase or do something with initiator question #631. If not & I see it again poping up, I will be ready for it and be sure I will report it myself.

Thank you guys.
Last edited by SVR2200 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:24 pm

SVR2200 wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:I think that's exactly the point of contention here. While many sources of Human Sacrifice do indeed want to enforce it on innocent parties, #631's volcano option, while clearly practicing a form of human sacrifice, is specifically brought up in the context of what to do with guilty people people, not innocent ones.

Exactly the question is dodgy & interconnecting two separate thinks. I would not aprove human Sacrfice if I would know its sneaky question. I don't mind to wait on question #333 to outlaw human Sacrfice as the colleague suggested but it would be fair if we raise the voice so the devs can rephrase or do something with initiator question #631. If not & I see it again poping up, I will be ready for it and be sure I will report it myself.

Thank you guys.

As an editor, I could change the issue, if I felt it needed changing.

Here, I see no need. If you read it, the clues are there: (incidentally, the clue was in the "occasional sacrificial virgin" -- sacrificial virgins have traditionally been associated with purity, so -- purely from that traditional association -- the inference of innocence is there). Also, there's no mention of justice or punishment in this option at all. In fact, the option is all about the gods "They say it pleases the gods, and keeps disaster at bay."

Sacrificing human beings to appease any deity (whether that person is innocent or "guilty") is human sacrifice. Any murder ostensibly commanded by a god is human sacrifice (and the policy descriptor matches it very well: "Religious sacrifice of human beings is legal." -- that's exactly what this option does).

The text does not seem out of line with the changes and there are no plans to amend the policy in any way.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?