NATION

PASSWORD

Are people's political views related to their hobbies?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Are people's political views related to their hobbies?

Postby Petrolheadia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:12 pm

I've recently been contemplating the idea that people's politics and hobbies are correlated. Those who appreciate something that is free and non-corporate (e.g. nature, arts, religious worship) would be more likely to support left-wing, anti-capitalist positions than those who are into more material, business-based things (e.g. vehicles, economics).

It would make a lot of sense. You're likely to be more pro-corporate if you get enjoyment from observing corporate mergers,,rather than reading a small-time writer's poetry, and if your highlight of the day was brought to you by the local forest, not Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles.

So, what do you think about my theory?

I'd say that it holds a lot of weight. Many of the anti-capitalists I've seen were art folks, naturalists or among the religious, and many car guys and economists/financiers support right-wing or libertarian politics. My anecdotal evidence seems to be backing the theory.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Borovan entered the region as he
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Borovan entered the region as he » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:I've recently been contemplating the idea that people's politics and hobbies are correlated. Those who appreciate something that is free and non-corporate (e.g. nature, arts, religious worship) would be more likely to support left-wing, anti-capitalist positions than those who are into more material, business-based things (e.g. vehicles, economics).

It would make a lot of sense. You're likely to be more pro-corporate if you get enjoyment from observing corporate mergers,,rather than reading a small-time writer's poetry, and if your highlight of the day was brought to you by the local forest, not Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles.

I'd say that it holds a lot of weight. Many of the anti-capitalists I've seen were art folks, naturalists or among the religious, and many car guys and economists/financiers support right-wing or libertarian politics. My anecdotal evidence seems to be backing the theory.

Nah it's. Social economic related and influenced by friends

Teachian
Envoy

Founded: Sep 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Teachian » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:15 pm

I think connections could be drawn, but I don’t know if I’d ever rely on it to guess what my friend’s views are.

Do agree that if you like a certain thing, it’s probably going to reflect your beliefs in politics, but at a certain point humans just get too complicated to assign like that. It’d be like be looking at some Redneck in the South and going “Definitely know what their party is”. Probably plenty of people who’d have the exact views you’d expect, and plenty of people who wouldn’t.
Was looking for the washroom, somehow became president

Ausinia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ausinia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:16 pm

I think it holds something, Marxism, for example, as nothing like capitalism, and is left winged
[url]Discord, cus why not [To be fixed][/url]
-Astoria wrote:‘WE'RE NOT COMMUNISTS, DAMMIT!’

Then explain the hammer-and-sickle on your flag. Otherwise, X.
This nation does not completely agree with my views.
Cooperation, Command, Control
THE UNITED COMMONWEALTH of AUSINIA
The Ausinian National:Due to recent baby booms in Ausinia, a general board has being formed, the leaders in new ways of fair population control. Suggested methods already include standardised testing in schools, for the most fit and intelligent to stand out.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Borovan entered the region as he wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:I've recently been contemplating the idea that people's politics and hobbies are correlated. Those who appreciate something that is free and non-corporate (e.g. nature, arts, religious worship) would be more likely to support left-wing, anti-capitalist positions than those who are into more material, business-based things (e.g. vehicles, economics).

Nah it's. Social economic related and influenced by friends

Hobbies are also determined by friends.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Teachian wrote:I think connections could be drawn, but I don’t know if I’d ever rely on it to guess what my friend’s views are.

Do agree that if you like a certain thing, it’s probably going to reflect your beliefs in politics, but at a certain point humans just get too complicated to assign like that. It’d be like be looking at some Redneck in the South and going “Definitely know what their party is”. Probably plenty of people who’d have the exact views you’d expect, and plenty of people who wouldn’t.

I'm not saying it is universal,,but only that it's a noticeable factor.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints
Envoy

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 pm

I suspect there's an inset labeled "Spurious Correlation and Selection Bias" like in an elementary statistics textbook amongst us here.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Teachian wrote:I think connections could be drawn, but I don’t know if I’d ever rely on it to guess what my friend’s views are.

There is definitely a relation. I can't imagine when I go to a shoot that anyone there supports gun bans. But then the question of cause and effect comes up. Are they pro gun because they sport shoot. or do they sport shoot because they're pro gun?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Terra Domina
Civilian

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Domina » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:22 pm

There is evidence that personality and political affiliation are highly correlated. It seems to me that a combination of psychology, education, experience, and relationships have the most impact.

Anecdotal analysis is highly biased and unreliable.
Last edited by Terra Domina on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Telconi wrote:

There is definitely a relation. I can't imagine when I go to a shoot that anyone there supports gun bans. But then the question of cause and effect comes up. Are they pro gun because they sport shoot. or do they sport shoot because they're pro gun?

We might actually suppose that a wide spectrum of gun regulation preferences are more or less randomly distributed among sport shooters, but that you're going to gravitate toward the more specific subset of those who share your specific view. Thereby providing the illusion that all sport shooters share your views, and that there is a strong relationship there. EDIT: I mean, by going straight to "gun bans" as the example policy, we've narrowed our observation very significantly already.
Last edited by The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sycar
Attaché

Founded: Mar 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sycar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Yes, they absolutely are! My hobby is shooting, taking apart, learning about, learning how to use, and designing firearms. I wasn't really politics before I got into guns, but then I realized that some people really wanted to take them away from citizens, which made no sense to me. I decided to do some research, and I found that countries with more gun control had a higher violent crime rate. My hobby of guns kind of jump-started my journey into politics, and I found that I agreed with right-wing views much more than left-wing views. My parents are conservative, so I guess my upbringing had something to do with it, but I feel like my passion of the simple yet fascinating machines that firearms are heavily influenced my political views.
we must return to monki as soon as possible

Deltanium
Envoy

Founded: Feb 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Deltanium » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:25 pm

I would say it is true. I am a libertarian capitalist and I take huge pleasure in flying, going on my phone and gaming laptop and going to the local Nike store.I also pay a lot of attention to business news.
The Empire of Deltia
"As He died to make men holy, let us die 'cause we want to!"

I have joined the light theme war against the dark theme.

Death is a preferable alternative to communism, death is a preferable alternative to democracy. Death is a preferable alternative to fascism. I just wanna die.

Discord server!

Christian Atheists are Atheists who behave like Christians... I guess that makes me an Atheist Christian?

I created a leader template with the stolen ideas of SC and Zitravgrad.

Radio Łódź:Sabaton- To Hell And Back|Der Warzau Telegraf: BREAKING: Valentine Z says the N-word!|American troops arrive in France

Tyrassueb
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Tyrassueb » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Sycar wrote:Yes, they absolutely are! My hobby is shooting, taking apart, learning about, learning how to use, and designing firearms. I wasn't really politics before I got into guns, but then I realized that some people really wanted to take them away from citizens, which made no sense to me. I decided to do some research, and I found that countries with more gun control had a higher violent crime rate. My hobby of guns kind of jump-started my journey into politics, and I found that I agreed with right-wing views much more than left-wing views. My parents are conservative, so I guess my upbringing had something to do with it, but I feel like my passion of the simple yet fascinating machines that firearms are heavily influenced my political views.

I'm going to need to see that research because from what I've seen countries with stronger gun control laws are safer and with less violent crimes.
Justice Berniecrat

If the Colonel cooked chicken as well as Bernie does politics, he'd have been a General.

Kremlinian Russia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kremlinian Russia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Not really true, Marxists are usually heavily anti-religious and interested in economics and understanding modern conditions in a materialist manner. In the same way, many capitalists are going to be religious, and this is well known for many people, as quite often you'll see someone who thinks that religion is important but capital accumulation equally so. Hobbies and interests are influenced by the consciousness brought about by material conditions that have an effect on one's life, generally stereotyping the left as hippies and naturalists and the right as materialists is a bit of a joke considering the Marxist movement being heavily pro-violence ("You cannot make a revolution in white gloves." - V.I. Lenin) and materialism (just read anything from Marx, although 'The German Ideology' is probably the most useful for this subject), as some right wingers are staunch supporters of their clergy, who bring support to the ruling class.

To finish this claim, I'll just post a quote from Marx:

"In the social production of their existence, men inevitably enter into definite relations, which are independent of their will, namely relations of production appropriate to a given stage in the development of their material forces of production. The totality of these relations of production constitutes the economic structure of society, the real foundation, on which arises a legal and political superstructure and to which correspond definite forms of social consciousness. The mode of production of material life conditions the general process of social, political and intellectual life. It is not the consciousness of men that determines their existence, but their social existence that determines their consciousness." - Karl Marx
Stalin's hammer on NS
Nation politics reflect real life politics (yes, even the gulags).

"Three keys to success: read, read, read." - V.I. Lenin

A 18 civilization, according to this index. (18 based on my own maths using the formula in the thread, may be wrong).
- Tier 6 Technology
- Level 0 Magic
- Type 4 Influence

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Deltanium wrote:...going on my phone and gaming laptop ...I also pay a lot of attention to business news.

I do all this too, and, well, let's say my nation's "Policies" page is reflective of my IRL responses to NS issues (or, at least as close as their satirical nature will allow me to get).
Last edited by The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sycar
Attaché

Founded: Mar 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sycar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Tyrassueb wrote:
Sycar wrote:Yes, they absolutely are! My hobby is shooting, taking apart, learning about, learning how to use, and designing firearms. I wasn't really politics before I got into guns, but then I realized that some people really wanted to take them away from citizens, which made no sense to me. I decided to do some research, and I found that countries with more gun control had a higher violent crime rate. My hobby of guns kind of jump-started my journey into politics, and I found that I agreed with right-wing views much more than left-wing views. My parents are conservative, so I guess my upbringing had something to do with it, but I feel like my passion of the simple yet fascinating machines that firearms are heavily influenced my political views.

I'm going to need to see that research because from what I've seen countries with stronger gun control laws are safer and with less violent crimes.

If that's true, how does Honduras (which has a total gun ban) have more violent crimes than the US?
we must return to monki as soon as possible

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:40 pm

I do coke
So I can work longer
So I can earn more
So I can do more coke
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:41 pm

I'd say so, yes.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:46 pm

Sycar wrote:If that's true, how does Honduras (which has a total gun ban) have more violent crimes than the US?

Relative soiopolitical instability and similar factors, which make Honduras highly incomparable to the United States, I'd suspect.

A more sound comparison would probably be against Australia, where a decline in homicide rates has been noted since the passage of strong gun control measures there in 1996. At least then we're comparing two well developed and stable electoral democracies, and holding many other sociocultural variables relative constant too.

Just pulling any old random place where gun control and violence happen to coincide (the conclusion we prefer!) as proof that they coincide is kinda amateurish, to be honest.

EDIT: Also, this sub-thread is probably going off OPs topic anyway.
Last edited by The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:47 pm

The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints wrote:
Telconi wrote:

We might actually suppose that a wide spectrum of gun regulation preferences are more or less randomly distributed among sport shooters, but that you're going to gravitate toward the more specific subset of those who share your specific view. Thereby providing the illusion that all sport shooters share your views, and that there is a strong relationship there. EDIT: I mean, by going straight to "gun bans" as the example policy, we've narrowed our observation very significantly already.

Yes, and pot smokers support bans on pot...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Sycar wrote:If that's true, how does Honduras (which has a total gun ban) have more violent crimes than the US?

Relative soiopolitical instability and similar factors, which make Honduras highly incomparable to the Untied States, I'd suspect.

A more sound comparison would probably be against Australia, where a decline in homicide rates has been noted since the passage of strong gun control measures there in 1996. At least then we're comparing two well developed and stable electoral democracies, and holding many other sociocultural variables relative constant too.

Just pulling any old random place where gun control and violence happen to coincide (the conclusion we prefer!) as proof that they coincide is kinda amateurish, to be honest.

EDIT: Also, this sub-thread is probably going off OPs topic anyway.

I actually have a big ol post on this topic that you might be interested in. Though I think some of the links are down atm.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:56 pm

I cannot discern the reason behind this, but looking at my acquaintances there does seem to be a correlation. Right wingers would proclaim that those on the left enjoy "free" stuff that is really paid for by taxes, but that is just not so. Among the favorite amusements on the right are motorcycles and guns; I do not see how that jibes with corporatism though, maybe this is all correlation without causation.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Telconi wrote:

Of course. Any regulation of any kind is automatically a total ban. :roll:

At any rate, I live in California, so I do actually know that "pot smokers" vary widely as to opinions concerning taxation, distribution, and relative merits of CBD vs. THC, and lots of other stuff. Oh, and having been shooting lots of times myself, I also know that gun owners vary widely in opinions concerning gun regulations, too.

I dunno, maybe it's just here that people aren't all cookie-cutter clones. That is technically possible, I suppose.

Washington Resistance Army wrote:I actually have a big ol post on this topic that you might be interested in. Though I think some of the links are down atm.

For the purposes of this thread, not really. The only point I was really trying to make was suggesting that when we compare cases, we need to be very careful to control for confounding factors. I think that claim is both relevant to OP, and holds regardless of how gun control in Australia ultimately pans out.
Last edited by The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Telconi wrote:

Of course. Any regulation of any kind is automatically a total ban. :roll:

At any rate, I live in California, so I do actually know that "pot smokers" vary widely as to opinions concerning taxation, distribution, and relative merits of CBD vs. THC, and lots of other stuff. Oh, and having been shooting lots of times myself, I also know that gun owners vary widely in opinions concerning gun regulations, too.

I dunno, maybe it's just here that people aren't all cookie-cutter clones. That is technically possible, I suppose.

Washington Resistance Army wrote:I actually have a big ol post on this topic that you might be interested in. Though I think some of the links are down atm.

For the purposes of this thread, not really. The only point I was really trying to make was suggesting that when we compare cases, we need to be very careful to control for confounding factors. I think that claim is both relevant to OP, and holds regardless of how gun control in Australia ultimately pans out.

I never said that, and your words taste bad, please keep them out of my mouth.

Indeed, and yet despite the many various debate on regulatory measures, I don't recall a single pot smoker ever telling me they supported a ban on smoking pot... Perhaps such people exist, but I have yet to find one.

Indeed, which is, in and of itself, irrelevant, unless of course said regulations are bans, which just seems oddly silly to me that a person would engage in a hobby they supported the criminalization of...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Pope Joan wrote:... maybe this is all correlation without causation.

Given how often people are likely to say "anecdotally" or "among my set of close acquaintances" in response to the question posed here, I'd suspect that this is almost certainly the case.

Telconi wrote:I never said that, and your words taste bad, please keep them out of my mouth.

Indeed, and yet despite the many various debate on regulatory measures, I don't recall a single pot smoker ever telling me they supported a ban on smoking pot... Perhaps such people exist, but I have yet to find one.

Indeed, which is, in and of itself, irrelevant, unless of course said regulations are bans, which just seems oddly silly to me that a person would engage in a hobby they supported the criminalization of...

Even if there is one particular policy that some group of <activity>-ist are generally uniform on, there are likely to be a whole host more which they are not. Or for which, at least, there is no a priori reason to assume that they are. Ergo, pointing to "sport shooters don't support gun bans" is as cherrypicked as it is mundane, and doesn't really tell us anything in particular about the larger scale correlation between hobbies and political ideology that OP is hypothesizing.

[<sticks a fork in it>]
Last edited by The Niceties of Normal Moral Constraints on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General