NATION

PASSWORD

**SUBMITTED** Dangerous Liaisons

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

**SUBMITTED** Dangerous Liaisons

Postby Baggieland » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:01 pm

We all know and love LEADER's younger brother, A.K.A. 'psycho-bro'. Well, he's finally met his match!

[TITLE] Dangerous Liaisons

[DESCRIPTION] Your younger brother has just broken-up with his most recent girlfriend. However, this one turned out to be a bit different from all his previous love-interests.

[VALIDITY] all

[OPTION] "You've got to help me – she's a psycho!" exclaims your brother, as he peers out of the window from behind the curtain, checking she's not there. "I tried to break-up with her nicely, as I always do, but she won't take "no" for an answer. Look at this – 426 messages already today – and it's only 2pm! She follows me everywhere, calls me all times of the day and night: I can't take it! You've got to make stalking a serious offence and lock her up for a long time. Then I'll be free to ask out that cashier at the local supermarket; she's a real cutie!"

[EFFECT] asking for 'one more chance' will get you into a lot of trouble

[OPTION] "Although I agree with your brother's diagnoses, I disagree with his method of rehabilitation," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, a psychiatrist, as @@HE@@ beckons your brother to the leather couch. "Serial stalkers are known to have mental disorders that increase their infatuation with the object of their desire, thus leading to irrational and anti-social behaviour. Prison time will not cure them. What they need is an extensive course of revitalization, where their pent-up impulses may be released in a safe and caring environment."

[EFFECT] the number of ex-stalkers who now work at the same place as their ex-prey is just a coincidence

[OPTION] "But he promised to be with me forever!" wails @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME(FEMALE)@@, the girl in question, as she approaches your brother, arms held out wide and a dejected look on her face. "He's the one for me, I don't want anyone else. You see @@LEADER@@, stalking pays off; it's a sure-fire way of keeping relationships together and avoiding the pain of break-up. You should make it law that anyone who has been ditched has the right to stalk for the next six months. Just so that both parties are sure they're making the right decision." She turns again to your brother. "By the way, I know you're seeing that girl at the supermarket. STAY AWAY FROM HER OR I'LL BE USING HER INTESTINES FOR FISH BAIT!"

[EFFECT] people threatening to kill themselves are ignored by the police

[DESCRIPTION] Your brother has just broken-up with his most recent girlfriend. However, this one turned out to be a bit different from all his previous love-interests.

[VALIDITY] has prisons

[OPTION] "You've got to help me – she's a psycho!" exclaims your brother, as he peers out of the window from behind the curtain, checking she's not there. "I tried to break-up with her nicely, as I always do, but she won't take "no" for an answer. Look at this – 426 messages already today – and it's only 2pm! She follows me everywhere, calls me all times of the day and night: I can't take it! You've got to make stalking a serious offence. Restraining orders should be issued without question and if they violate that: then they should be locked up for a long time. Then, I'll be free to ask out that cashier at the local supermarket; she's a real cutie!"

[EFFECT] asking for 'one more chance' will get you into a lot of trouble

[OPTION] "Although I agree with your brother's diagnoses, I disagree with his method of rehabilitation," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, a psychiatrist, as @@HE@@ beckons your brother to the leather couch. "Serial stalkers are known to have mental disorders that increase their infatuation with the object of their desire, thus leading to irrational and anti-social behaviour. Prison time will not cure them. What they need is an extensive course of revitalization, where their pent-up impulses may be released in a safe and caring environment."

[EFFECT] the number of ex-stalkers who now work at the same place as their ex-prey is just a coincidence

[OPTION] "But he promised to be with me forever! I don't want anyone else – he's the one for me," wails @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME(FEMALE)@@, the girl in question, as she approaches your brother, arms held out wide and a dejected look on her face. She then turns and talks ever so sweetly to you. "You should make it law that anyone who has been ditched has the right to watch over their lover constantly for the next six months. Just to make sure they're okay and that they're sure they made the right decision." She turns again to your brother. "By the way, I know you're seeing that girl at the supermarket. STAY AWAY FROM HER OR I'LL BE USING HER INTESTINES FOR FISH BAIT!"

[EFFECT] the police have nothing to do with the increasing number of 'disappeared'

[DESCRIPTION] Your brother has just broken-up with his most recent girlfriend. However, this one turned out to be a bit different from all his previous love-interests.

[VALIDITY] has prisons

[OPTION] "You've got to help me; she's a psycho! Do you know she put Fluffy, my beloved pet, in a pot and boiled her alive?" exclaims your brother, as he peers out of the window from behind the curtain, checking she's not there. "I tried to break-up with her nicely, as I always do, but she won't take "no" for an answer. Look at this – 426 messages already today – and it's only 2pm! She follows me everywhere, calls me all times of the day and night: I can't take it! You've got to make stalking a serious offence. Restraining orders should be issued without question, and if they violate them, they should be locked up for a long time. Then, I'll be free to ask out that cashier at the local supermarket; she's a real cutie!"

[EFFECT] children get restraining orders issued against their parents if they're asked to tidy their rooms

[OPTION] "But he promised to be with me forever! I don't want anyone else – he's the one for me," wails @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME(FEMALE)@@, the girl in question, as she approaches your brother, arms held out wide and a dejected look on her face. Then, she turns and talks ever so sweetly to you. "You should make it law that anyone who has been ditched has the right to watch over their lover constantly for the next six months. Just to make sure they're okay and that they're sure they made the right decision." She turns again to your brother. "By the way, I know you're seeing that girl at the supermarket. STAY AWAY FROM HER OR I'LL BE USING HER INTESTINES FOR FISH BAIT!"

[EFFECT] the police have nothing to do with the increasing number of 'disappeared'
Last edited by Baggieland on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:09 pm

:rofl:

Option 3 ends a tiny bit brutally, and idk if this works for nations without prisons. Messages probably works in the event of fax machines, though, so those are my only two concerns.

This is great. :rofl:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Dangerous Liaisons
Civilian

Founded: Nov 08, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Dangerous Liaisons » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:44 pm

I love the name!

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:00 pm

I love this issue.

I'd consistently use "your brother", to make it clear it's psycho-bro (rather than "your younger brother") -- who, IIRC, is only ever referred to as "your brother".

In #3, nutty-ex wouldn't see herself as a stalker and she wouldn't ask for the right to "stalk" someone for six months. She'd want the right to "watch over them constantly for the next six months, just to make sure they're okay and that they're sure they made the right decision." -- she'd frame it very sweetly and (to her mind) lovingly (because stalkers would never think they're stalkers; they'd think of it as keeping the other person safe or an act of love)
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:13 am

Just get a restraining order, bro
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:44 am

Great issue!

Australian rePublic wrote:Just get a restraining order, bro

Got a point there. Shouldn't this be part of option 1's solution?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:27 am

Jutsa wrote:Option 3 ends a tiny bit brutally

It's from an old Chinese kung-fu movie with bad English subtitles. The original was: How dare you use my intestines for fish bait, this is not a dignified way to die!

You should watch those old kung-fu movies - lots of good material in there!

Jutsa wrote:idk if this works for nations without prisons.

Oops, silly me!

Jutsa wrote:Messages probably works in the event of fax machines, though, so those are my only two concerns

If a nation has banned technology, messages can still be sent: handwritten and delivered by hand, or by the postie, or heck, you can either strap it to a pidgeon! Ever had 426 pidgeons on your windowsill Jutsa? :)

The Free Joy State wrote:I'd consistently use "your brother", to make it clear it's psycho-bro (rather than "your younger brother") -- who, IIRC, is only ever referred to as "your brother

Okay, changed for consistency.

The Free Joy State wrote:In #3, nutty-ex wouldn't see herself as a stalker and she wouldn't ask for the right to "stalk" someone for six months. She'd want the right to "watch over them constantly for the next six months, just to make sure they're okay and that they're sure they made the right decision." -- she'd frame it very sweetly and (to her mind) lovingly (because stalkers would never think they're stalkers; they'd think of it as keeping the other person safe or an act of love)

You seem to know a lot about this Joy... hmmmm. Nah, just kidding! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Seriously though, a very good point and changed accordingly.

Australian rePublic wrote:Just get a restraining order, bro

Okay, that gets a mention now too.

2nd draft is up.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 am

Baggieland wrote:It's from an old Chinese kung-fu movie with bad English subtitles. The original was: How dare you use my intestines for fish bait, this is not a dignified way to die!

:rofl:
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:01 am

I did watch Kung Pow, which I'm pretty sure was made to poke fun at those movies.
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:20 pm

There has to be a fatal attraction boiling a pet gag in here somewhere Baggie...
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:44 am

Caracasus wrote:There has to be a fatal attraction boiling a pet gag in here somewhere Baggie...

Haven't seen that. Is there room for it as well as the intestinal fish bait?

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:35 am

Baggieland wrote:
Caracasus wrote:There has to be a fatal attraction boiling a pet gag in here somewhere Baggie...

Haven't seen that. Is there room for it as well as the intestinal fish bait?

Fatal Attraction concerns a guy who hooks up with a woman behind his wife's back. He dumps her and she gets totally obsessed with him and stalks him. Including at one point boiling the family's pet rabbit on the stove for them to come home and find. It's full of chiches and even spawned one of its own - bunny boiler. I reckon maybe you could include that in there somewhere...
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Option 1's effect is no fun. What are the consequences of no-questions-asked restraining orders? Surely you can take that and run with it
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:23 pm

To Aussie's point, that's definitely good fodder for unintended consequences. I could imagine children taking out restraining orders against their parents after being asked to clean their rooms, protestors taking them out against police officers to force security back from a rally, politicians using them against opponents to force them to miss appearances, etc.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:40 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:To Aussie's point, that's definitely good fodder for unintended consequences. I could imagine children taking out restraining orders against their parents after being asked to clean their rooms, protestors taking them out against police officers to force security back from a rally, politicians using them against opponents to force them to miss appearances, etc.

Little kids taking restraining orders against their siblings because their annoying. Employees taking restraining orders against their bosses so they can't check up on them.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:51 am

Caracasus wrote:Fatal Attraction concerns a guy who hooks up with a woman behind his wife's back. He dumps her and she gets totally obsessed with him and stalks him. Including at one point boiling the family's pet rabbit on the stove for them to come home and find. It's full of chiches and even spawned one of its own - bunny boiler. I reckon maybe you could include that in there somewhere...

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1's effect is no fun. What are the consequences of no-questions-asked restraining orders? Surely you can take that and run with it

Verdant Haven wrote:To Aussie's point, that's definitely good fodder for unintended consequences. I could imagine children taking out restraining orders against their parents after being asked to clean their rooms, protestors taking them out against police officers to force security back from a rally, politicians using them against opponents to force them to miss appearances, etc.

Australian rePublic wrote:Little kids taking restraining orders against their siblings because their annoying. Employees taking restraining orders against their bosses so they can't check up on them.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Third draft is up.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:08 pm

Submitted. Thanks a lot for everyone's help.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:27 am

Good luck!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:28 am

indubitably! :)

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Cheers y'all!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?