NATION

PASSWORD

Federal Republics

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Federal Republics are the best form of governments

Yes
57%
Not really
37%
Not Sure
7%

Total votes : 60

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Elybrit wrote:Switzerland may be a federal republic, it may be managed better than other nation-states, but Switzerland is NOT cool.

Switzerland and the Swiss should pat themselves on the back and be thankful they don't live in a dysfunctional state, but they should also be thankful the United States and the United Kingdom affords them the privilege to live free and prosperous.

Switzerland was neutral during World War II when the Nazis were murdered millions of innocent people, including 6 million innocent Jews.

That's not cool, that's pragmatic.

Cool is pulling up your sleeves and hitting the beach at Omaha, Juno, Sword, Utah and Gold to liberate the hundreds of millions of souls from Nazi tyranny.

That's cool.

It was a federal constitutional republic that defeated a totalitarian dictatorship is 1945 and made Western Europe more free, peaceful, stable and prosperous than ever before.

That's cool.

So how exactly did the US/UK help Switzerland remain free after 1945? Also, it's rather interesting how the USSR, which did the lion's share of fighting Nazis, is not mentioned in your post.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Elybrit
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Elybrit » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:46 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Elybrit wrote:Switzerland may be a federal republic, it may be managed better than other nation-states, but Switzerland is NOT cool.

Switzerland and the Swiss should pat themselves on the back and be thankful they don't live in a dysfunctional state, but they should also be thankful the United States and the United Kingdom affords them the privilege to live free and prosperous.

Switzerland was neutral during World War II when the Nazis were murdered millions of innocent people, including 6 million innocent Jews.

That's not cool, that's pragmatic.

Cool is pulling up your sleeves and hitting the beach at Omaha, Juno, Sword, Utah and Gold to liberate the hundreds of millions of souls from Nazi tyranny.

That's cool.

It was a federal constitutional republic that defeated a totalitarian dictatorship is 1945 and made Western Europe more free, peaceful, stable and prosperous than ever before.

That's cool.

So how exactly did the US/UK help Switzerland remain free after 1945? Also, it's rather interesting how the USSR, which did the lion's share of fighting Nazis, is not mentioned in your post.

The Swiss would be governed from Berlin or speaking Russian if not for the United States. The tiny Swiss federation wouldn't last long under constant aerial bombardment and siege from either the Russian or Germans.

It's rather interesting how the tremendous USA shipment of munitions and supplies to a besieged Soviet Union when the issue was in doubt, is not mentioned in your post.

Elybrit
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Elybrit » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Atheris wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:
It was with Trump dismissing the house of representatives and assigning military governors to rule directly it is more akin to a constitutional dictatorship now.

lmfao what

LOL.

Ditto that.

LMFAO what is this ?!?----> "It was with Trump dismissing the house of representatives and assigning military governors to rule directly it is more akin to a constitutional dictatorship now" ~ Greed and Death
Last edited by Elybrit on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Elybrit wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

The Swiss would be governed from Berlin or speaking Russian if not for the United States. The tiny Swiss federation wouldn't last long under constant aerial bombardment and siege from either the Russian or Germans.

It's rather interesting how the tremendous USA shipment of munitions and supplies to a besieged Soviet Union when the issue was in doubt, is not mentioned in your post.

The Swiss are speaking Russian. And English. And German. And French. They can speak multiple languages, possibly because they have a school system that teaches them that the sacrifice of millions of people is more important than material shipments. Then again, someone who's unable to figure that out, would be exactly the type to think that the Soviets wanted more war after 1945. Somehow Yugoslavia also stayed neutral, not invaded by the Soviets, but apparently the Swiss would be, because... magic!
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

The National Salvation Front for Russia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The National Salvation Front for Russia » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Stalin invading Switzerland? That's retarded, Stalin didn't invade Yugoslavia or Greece, proposed a united but truly neutral Germany and discouraged revolutions in France and Italy. Stalin was a tyrant, but a very pragmatic one.
Russian Nationalist
Christian Democrat & Regionalist
Мы спасeм Россию!

Cлужить России - To Serve Russia
I support the Community for Democracy and Rights of Nations

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:35 pm

The National Salvation Front for Russia wrote:Stalin invading Switzerland? That's retarded, Stalin didn't invade Yugoslavia or Greece, proposed a united but truly neutral Germany and discouraged revolutions in France and Italy. Stalin was a tyrant, but a very pragmatic one.

I wouldn't call eliminating thousands of officers on ephemeral treason accusations "pragmatic"...

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:09 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
The National Salvation Front for Russia wrote:Stalin invading Switzerland? That's retarded, Stalin didn't invade Yugoslavia or Greece, proposed a united but truly neutral Germany and discouraged revolutions in France and Italy. Stalin was a tyrant, but a very pragmatic one.

I wouldn't call eliminating thousands of officers on ephemeral treason accusations "pragmatic"...

True, but Stalin also didn't invade Yugoslavia, so claiming that he would've invaded Switzerland is rather laughable.

The National Salvation Front for Russia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The National Salvation Front for Russia » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:I wouldn't call eliminating thousands of officers on ephemeral treason accusations "pragmatic"...

While his pragmatism lied moreso with foreign policy, I assume his purges were based on fears of a Red Napoleon. It's why Zhukov was sidelined following the war.
Russian Nationalist
Christian Democrat & Regionalist
Мы спасeм Россию!

Cлужить России - To Serve Russia
I support the Community for Democracy and Rights of Nations

Kistan
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kistan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 am

Well, it depends. With a nation with a tight territorial area and population group, like Luxembourg or South Korea, there's no real point. The main advantage of a federal system is that far-flung, ethnically dissimilar, and subcultural regions within a nation are not ignored and have a tier of government that (theoretically) can relate to their local needs. It acts as a stopgap measure against separatism and keeps people happy (again, theoretically -- it doesn't always work). The disadvantage is that for a nation that is culturally and climatically homogenous, it's just another layer of bureacracy.

TL;DR seems like it's good for geographically big or culturally mixed countries, but not really worth it for monoculture states.
Humor:
"It's the Vrell Fuel and Oils Corporation, not Kistani Oils. Kistani Oils makes lotions and petrolium jellies."
Disclaimer: Kistan is for fun, and you should not expect the IRL me to do the things Kistan may do.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Atheris wrote:damn, Switzerland looks hella cool

too bad i'm a supporter of gun restrictions (not a total ban, don't get me wrong) though

Switzerland also has decent mental healthcare, so they don't have mass shootings that aren't "politically inspired" by local idiots: https://www.businessinsider.com/switzer ... ths-2018-2

Switzerland has a stunningly high rate of gun ownership — here's why it doesn't have mass shootings...

Switzerland hasn't had a mass shooting since 2001, when a man stormed the local parliament in Zug, killing 14 people and then himself. The country has about 2 million privately owned guns in a nation of 8.3 million people. In 2016, the country had 47 attempted homicides with firearms. The country's overall murder rate is near zero...

Unlike the US, Switzerland has mandatory military service for men. All men between the ages of 18 and 34 deemed "fit for service" are given a pistol or a rifle and trained. After they've finished their service, the men can typically buy and keep their service weapons, but they have to get a permit for them. In recent years, the Swiss government has voted to reduce the size of the country's armed forces.

Lots of guns + high quality training + decent mental healthcare program = no apolitical mass shootings, and maybe one political mass shooting in a decade; it also prevents numerous murders and rapes.

ngl, Switzerland does look like a dream home, but honestly i'm torn between them and norway

i love both, and i can roughly speak both german and norwegian, but i think if i had to choose between the two i would choose Switzerland even if the square flag thing is really weird
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:07 pm

Kistan wrote:Well, it depends. With a nation with a tight territorial area and population group, like Luxembourg or South Korea, there's no real point. The main advantage of a federal system is that far-flung, ethnically dissimilar, and subcultural regions within a nation are not ignored and have a tier of government that (theoretically) can relate to their local needs. It acts as a stopgap measure against separatism and keeps people happy (again, theoretically -- it doesn't always work). The disadvantage is that for a nation that is culturally and climatically homogenous, it's just another layer of bureacracy.

TL;DR seems like it's good for geographically big or culturally mixed countries, but not really worth it for monoculture states.

I agree wholeheartedly, and I just don't see the whole concept of a republic or representative democracy as being a good idea either. I truthfully cannot stand how the government of the United States works.
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General