NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED!]Married with benefits?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
South Ccanda
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

[ACCEPTED!]Married with benefits?

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:15 pm

This is my first time so please, bare with me.

[TITLE]Married with benefits?

[VALIDITY] Country allows immigration

[DESCRIPTION]It has been brought to your attention that there may be some people in @@@NATION NAME@@@ that are marrying native @@@DENONYM@@@ for citizenship though a legal loophole. People left and right are raising questions about should this be legal or not?

[Option1]. "When I failed the citizenship exam, I had no idea what i was going to do." states @@@NAME@@@, who married his wife for the sole purpose of getting citizenship. "That was until I met @@@NAME@@@. Although I never truly fell in love, she still opened her heart and proposed the idea to help me get citizenship. Please, you cannot take this away from me!"

Talking Point: @@@DENONYM@@@ men and women have fallen into hard times with immigrants taking their grade school crushes.

[Option 2]. "How is this even fair?" says @@@NAME@@@, whose parents were immigrants. "My parents went through the entire process of becoming legal citizens and these people just marry into it? I say we close this loophole and deport those who cheated the system."

Talking Point: Your true love must live in @@@NATION NAME@@@

[Option 3]. "Why must we have people jumping through hoops just to be here?" says @@@NAME@@@'s wife, @@@NAME@@@. "Why don't we just have free and open borders so that anyone who wants to be a citizen can be a citizen?"

Talking Point: The recent influx of new citizens has you asking where they even came from.

[Title] Married with Benefits?

[VALIDITY] Country allows immigration and marriage.

[Description] After a long hard day of playing golf, you finally return to your office, when you are greeted by a surprise. Its your distant cousin, @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, and his new wife. Apparently, after the wedding, she had admitted that the only reason she married him was to gain citizenship.

[Option 1] "I have been swindled!" exclaims your cousin. "I thought she loved me! but it turns out all I'm worth is a green card! I suggest you make it illegal for these scam artists to bribe us with love just for the sake of being here."

[Effect] Mail order brides are often compared to crooks.

[Option 2] "Please, @@LEADER@@, you must not deport me!" sobs @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, your new cousin. "When I failed the citizenship exam, I was distraught. But then, I met him, and I finally knew I had a chance for a better life. You must make serious reform in immigration so people like me don't have to marry into citizenship."

[Effect] The citizenship exam now has only 5 questions, including, "What color is the sky?" as 5 bonus points.

[Option 3] "I think we should just ban immigration altogether." States your brother, speaking while eating the meatloaf your mother had prepared for diner that night."I mean, who needs them? we sure don't!"

[Effect] Work visas are the closest foreigners can get to living in @@NAME@@.] (BANS IMMIGRATION)

[Option 4] "Swallow your food!" screams your mother, slapping your brother. "If anything, we should open our borders to everyone regardless of where their from or who they are! That way, we can assure that everyone can feel included without exception."

[Effect] Sneaking spies into @@NAME@@ is easier than ever before!

Draft 3 *EDITED

[VALIDITY] The country allows immigration and marriage.

[DESCRIPTION] It is your cousin's big day, his very own wedding! As soon as the ceremony is over and the minister pronounces them Husband and Wife, the bride picks up her dress. The crowd in awe, she yells, “Finally, it’s over! I waited three years to gain my citizenship, and I’ll be damned if I ever stay another minute with you!” Everyone in complete disbelief turns to you for an answer.

[Option 1] "I have been swindled!" exclaims your cousin. "I thought she loved me, but she just told me she only did it for the citizenship! I spent an absolute fortune on this wedding! You must assign a test to every one who marries in @@NAME@@ to ensure that they actually love each other."

[Effect] The citizenship exam is easier than the spousal love exam.

[Option 2] "Please, @@LEADER@@, you must not deport me!" sobs @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, your new cousin. "When I failed the citizenship exam, I was distraught. But then I met him, and I finally knew I had a chance for a better life. Besides, he’s SO cheap, these flowers are wax! This dress is terry cloth for Violet's sake! You must seriously reform immigration policy so that the citizenship exam isn't as hard as it's always been. "

[Effect] Simply saying “@@NATION” can get you citizenship.

[Option 3] “This makes me wonder if we could really make something of this?” says your aunt. “What if we had a sort-of foreign exchange dating program! If the person truly loves the person they have been matched with, they can get their citizenship and be a free married couple here in @@NAME@@. And maybe make a TV show out of it too!”

[Effect] Losers of “Seeking Immigrant Wife” are booed out of @@NAME@@
Last edited by South Ccanda on Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 17 times in total.
I am Center-Left Libertarian. (-3,-3) on the Political Compass. My friends call me Whiskey cause I was named after a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I've been drowning myself in work, I just started Culinary School, and I recently got called a Boot Licker for thanking a veteran for their service. I'm sad that I have to witness the part of history where supporting Cops and Troops is seen and a radical ideology.
Updated on August 25th, 2020

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Please give me feedback, i would really appreciate it
I am Center-Left Libertarian. (-3,-3) on the Political Compass. My friends call me Whiskey cause I was named after a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I've been drowning myself in work, I just started Culinary School, and I recently got called a Boot Licker for thanking a veteran for their service. I'm sad that I have to witness the part of history where supporting Cops and Troops is seen and a radical ideology.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:00 pm

I like it... But what stats and policies would it change?
”I’ve always been leery of the United Nations. The very concept is comically dichotomous. Nations putting their self-interests aside in the hopes of building a global community, holding hands and Kumbaya? I mean, honestly, it’s like kindergarten. Do you have rug time? I did love rug time.”

-Raymond Reddington

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:14 pm

Woods Is Back wrote:I like it... But what stats and policies would it change?

I don't thnk it should change any policies but i thought the stats were all decided by Nation States

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:56 pm

Don't worry about stats or policy changes, issue editors add those.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:44 am

Welcome to Got Issues, always nice to have new authors in here. So let's give you a bit of feedback.

First, macros need two @, not three.
@@NAME@@ gives the name of the nation.
@@RANDOMNAME@@ gives you a person's random name.

It's all in the 'how to write an issue' thread. Please take the time to read it as it will help you with writing an issue.

South Ccanda wrote:Talking Point:

We usually call this 'effect' or 'fallout'.

South Ccanda wrote:It has been brought to your attention that there may be some people in @@@NATION NAME@@@ that are marrying native @@@DENONYM@@@ for citizenship though a legal loophole

I think you mean that foreigners are marrying natives.

Ok, so the issue itself is about foreigners marrying natives in an immigration loop-hole.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if this dilemma has already been covered or not. I'm on my mobile phone right now, so it's more awkward to check.

People like Trotterdam and Jutsa are pretty good with this kind of information.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:39 am

Baggieland wrote:Welcome to Got Issues, always nice to have new authors in here. So let's give you a bit of feedback.

First, macros need two @, not three.
@@NAME@@ gives the name of the nation.
@@RANDOMNAME@@ gives you a person's random name.

It's all in the 'how to write an issue' thread. Please take the time to read it as it will help you with writing an issue.

South Ccanda wrote:Talking Point:

We usually call this 'effect' or 'fallout'.

South Ccanda wrote:It has been brought to your attention that there may be some people in @@@NATION NAME@@@ that are marrying native @@@DENONYM@@@ for citizenship though a legal loophole

I think you mean that foreigners are marrying natives.

Ok, so the issue itself is about foreigners marrying natives in an immigration loop-hole.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if this dilemma has already been covered or not. I'm on my mobile phone right now, so it's more awkward to check.

People like Trotterdam and Jutsa are pretty good with this kind of information.

Ah, well thanks for the feed back. I actually talked to a friend of mine who helped with me on a few things as well, but i got to reading the FAQ and got to the part about what if your idea was stolen, and then i got really paranoid and submitted...

I kow i definitely jumped the gun but looking over what you told me, I already fixed everything

Lastly, I have bad memory so when I got the idea, i rushed home so that I could get it all written down so thats why i didn't have proper macros
Last edited by South Ccanda on Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:40 am

Baggieland wrote:People like Trotterdam and Jutsa are pretty good with this kind of information.
The closest I can think of is #1053, which is about romantic relationships, but not necessarily ones sealed with marriage (though "require them to marry for it to count" is one of the options). It also implies that these are serious relationships rather than marriages of convenience, though the speaker from the aforementioned option has his doubts.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:26 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Baggieland wrote:People like Trotterdam and Jutsa are pretty good with this kind of information.
The closest I can think of is #1053, which is about romantic relationships, but not necessarily ones sealed with marriage (though "require them to marry for it to count" is one of the options). It also implies that these are serious relationships rather than marriages of convenience, though the speaker from the aforementioned option has his doubts.
so theres a good chance my issue is unique enough. sweet.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 am

I'm actually genuinely pretty surprised this hasn't been done before! Right - okay, detailed feedback.

[DESCRIPTION]It has been brought to your attention that there may be some people in @@@NATION NAME@@@ that are marrying native @@@DENONYM@@@ for citizenship though a legal loophole. People left and right are raising questions about should this be legal or not?

There's nothing wrong with this opening if you want to keep things simple, however I'd suggest that (given issues are sort of mini narratives) you take this chance to tell a little story. What, precisely, has bought this to dear leader's desk? Perhaps their nephew has become smitten with a citizen from the United Federation who appears to be in it just for the passport? I dunno - check out some of the issues in the got issues? megathread to see how this sort of thing is normally done.

[Option1]. "When I failed the citizenship exam, I had no idea what i was going to do." states @@@NAME@@@, who married his wife for the sole purpose of getting citizenship. "That was until I met @@@NAME@@@. Although I never truly fell in love, she still opened her heart and proposed the idea to help me get citizenship. Please, you cannot take this away from me!"

Talking Point: @@@DENONYM@@@ men and women have fallen into hard times with immigrants taking their grade school crushes.

This is where the narrative of the opening intro could really work in your favour here. You could have the aforementioned love of your nephew's last five minutes speaking here. The part in red is too on the nose - there's simply no way we as the audience could expect to know this, so why are you telling us it? Lose it, and simply hint that this might be the main driver behind the marriage.

[Option 2]. "How is this even fair?" says @@@NAME@@@, whose parents were immigrants. "My parents went through the entire process of becoming legal citizens and these people just marry into it? I say we close this loophole and deport those who cheated the system."

The effect line here is a bit disconnected from the issue option itself, but we can revisit it. How could you make this option stand out a bit more? How could it be funnier?
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:09 pm

I really appreciate the feedback and i'm currently writing a draft, so if y'all see my first draft that i submitted out of paranoia, please delete it.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm

The second draft is up!!!

*EDIT* I tried to incorporate humor into the actual options themselves, but considering the seriousness of the issue, I just couldn't. But I did m best to make the effects humorous so I hope y'all like it!
Last edited by South Ccanda on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:46 pm

South Ccanda wrote:This is my first time so please, bare with me.

[Option 3]. "Why must we have people jumping through hoops just to be here?" says @@@NAME@@@'s wife, @@@NAME@@@. "Why don't we just have free and open borders so that anyone who wants to be a citizen can be a citizen?"

Talking Point: The recent influx of new citizens has you asking where they even came from.

[Description] After a long hard day of playing golf, you finally return to your office, when you are greeted by a surprise. Its your distant cousin, @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, and his new wife. Apparently, after the wedding, she had admitted that the only reason she married him was to gain citizenship.

[Option 1] "I have been swindled!" exclaims your cousin. "I thought she loved me! but it turns out all I'm worth is a green card! I suggest you make it illegal for these scam artists to bribe us with love just for the sake of being here."

[Effect] Mail order brides are often compared to crooks.

[Option 2] "Please, @@LEADER@@, you must not deport me!" sobs @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, your new cousin. "When I failed the citizenship exam, I was distraught. But then, I met him, and I finally knew I had a chance for a better life. You must make serious reform in immigration so people like me don't have to marry into citizenship."

[Effect] The citizenship exam now has only 5 questions, including, "What color is the sky?" as 5 bonus points.

[Option 3] "I think we should just ban immigration altogether." States your brother, speaking while eating the meatloaf your mother had prepared for diner that night."I mean, who needs them? we sure don't!"

[Effect] Work visas are the closest foreigners can get to living in @@NAME@@.] (BANS IMMIGRATION)

[Option 4] "Swallow your food!" screams your mother, slapping your brother. "If anything, we should open our borders to everyone regardless of where their from or who they are! That way, we can assure that everyone can feel included without exception."

[Effect] Sneaking spies into @@NAME@@ is easier than ever before!

I like the premise, but please don't take any of what I am about to say in the wrong way!

I mean, the issue doesn't feel like it has enough substance, and you got a lot of tags wrong.

You should be using @@RANDOMNAME@@ instead of @@NAME@@, and @@NAME@@ instead of @@NATION NAME@@ (which isn't even a tag).

That is the typical tag convention.

But onto the problems I have with the substance of the issue itself:

It has been brought to your attention that there may be some people in @@@NATION NAME@@@ that are marrying native @@@DENONYM@@@ for citizenship though a legal loophole. People left and right are raising questions about should this be legal or not?

Besides the incorrect tagging I already mentioned, you should use @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ and not @@DEMONYM@@! Remember, you have to read the 'How to Write Issues' Forum! viewtopic.php?p=32581709#p32581709

You should also make the statement a little more concrete, something like: "After recent border control problems, more and more foreigners are marrying @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ for the sole purpose of acquiring citizenship through an odd legal loophole. People all around the nation have taken up in arms on different sides of the debate, ready to voice their opinions." You can take it word for word if you want, but usually you are going to want a second opinion on that!

Besides that, you can work on cleaning up some sentences and making the options a little more grammatically correct!

Thanks for asking for my advice! Once again, don't take any of this to heart too much, its not the worst thing!
This issue could be an amazing issue, and I look forward to it developing!
Author of GA #455
Favourite Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iYAsoX5t8
Aspiring Issue Author (6-times-failed)
Ban Abortion!

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Choose love over death!

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:54 pm

Oh no, its fine, but I believe you are reading the original draft. below that in a spoiler, I put the second draft.

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:25 pm

South Ccanda wrote:Oh no, its fine, but I believe you are reading the original draft. below that in a spoiler, I put the second draft.

Oh, lol. Yeah draft one was terrible.

Also, you should probably put draft 1 in a spoiler, and display the current version :P
Author of GA #455
Favourite Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iYAsoX5t8
Aspiring Issue Author (6-times-failed)
Ban Abortion!

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Choose love over death!

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:50 pm

South Ccanda wrote:Oh no, its fine, but I believe you are reading the original draft. below that in a spoiler, I put the second draft.

Overall it's a good issue but I believe this could use validity namely that your government allows immigration.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:55 pm

New Ladavia wrote:

Overall it's a good issue but I believe this could use validity namely that your government allows immigration.
I'll definitely be sure to add that.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:35 pm

Green card is too America-centric
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Green card is too America-centric

Well what should I put instead? Would "Visa" be a better term?

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:48 am

Well, I'm going to submit this issue because the thread is dead, wish me luck!

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:54 am

Hold up!

I really hope you didn’t submit this yet — I was going to comment on it today. Note, a thread isn’t ‘dead’ after two days of being up. Most experienced authors leave their drafts up for at least one week to maximize how much feedback they get.

If you already submitted it, good luck. However, in the future please wait a bit longer.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:00 am

FYI - the usual drafting period is closer to 2 weeks, not 2 days - plenty of folks with valuable feedback to offer aren't necessarily going to have had time to see it, reflect, and compose a reply. As a recent entrant to the world of issue writing myself, I understand your eagerness here, but definitely give it some time! This is a good issue and deserves a successful draft process - not disappearance and disappointment.

The Republic of New Alabama
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of New Alabama » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 am

South Ccanda wrote: diner

This word is spelled wrong in the context that you're using it here, it should be spelled dinner

the correct usage for diner would be when describing something like Waffle House.
King Jordan R. Jerkins I of The Republic of New Alabama

"Monarchy is a labour intensive industry"

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:25 am

It's not a bad issue you've got here, but I feel that all your options aren't quite submittable yet.

[Option 1] "I've been swindled!" exclaims your cousin. "I thought she truly loved me, but it turns out it was all just a scam so that she could get a green card! I implore you to make it law that any foreigner who marries a @@DEMONYM@@ must be together for a minimum of five years before they can get citizenship."

Try to do something like that for all your options.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 am

Welcome to Got Issues.

I suggest that you really take your time drafting this over several weeks. This premise has promise, but the quality is not yet there.

And I also ask that you do not submit every new draft. That's not how it works. Draft in forum and submit what is meant to be one final version only. Ideally after several people have said something to the tune of: "Wow! That's really good. You should submit!"

This is not ready yet.

For example, the effect line of option one is basically restating the option. Don't do that.

Effect lines also should be formatted like this:

[EFFECT] effect lines do not begin with a capital letter or end with a period

The eating thing feels like it was added just to make the joke about @@LEADER@@'s mother scolding them like a child (@@LEADER@@ just returned to their office, now it's suddenly dinnertime?) Your brother's characterisation as Stock Anti-immigration Guy seems out-of-line with their usual characterisation as total psychopath. Your mother's reasoning is also threadbare and the last option feels tacked-on.

Also the range of options feel very formulaic (like a standard immigration premise), rather than responding to the question of spousal visas and people marrying just to get a green card.

Think more about how you can respond to that issue. Right now, the issue is just too generic for me.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?