NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] The Great Dilemma

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

[SUBMITTED] The Great Dilemma

Postby Baggieland » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:32 am

There are a handful of NS issues based on historical events. As a fan of history myself, here's my attempt at one:

[TITLE] The Great Dilemma

[DESCRIPTION] The nations of Blackacre, Smalltopia and Marche Noire recently formed a strategic alliance, known as the Coalition Powers, resulting in a massive military bloc, that is definitely not on the friendly side of @@NAME@@.

[VALIDITY] all

[OPTION] "We need to form our own alliance quickly," opines Field Marshall @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ pushes a pile of small wooden soldiers across a large map in the direction of Blackacre. "If we make a defensive treaty with Bigtopia and East Lebatuck, then we will have a combined military capability of over a billion armed men, ready for deployment. As the Coalition Powers also have more than a billion soldiers, this will result in two heavily armed, yet equally matched blocs. No side will dare attack the other side, as it will undoubtedly lead to the mutually assured destruction of all participants. It's the only way to keep the peace @@LEADER@@."

[EFFECT] a billion weapons pointed at the enemy holds a shaky peace

[OPTION] "Well, it will only take a small spark to ignite that powder-keg," states Rear Admiral @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ pushes the pile of soldiers back towards @@NAME@@. "I can just see it happening: the Crown-Prince of Smalltopia visits Maxtopia. Then, a Maxtopian dissident assassinates the prince. Smalltopia declares war on Maxtopia. Maxtopia's traditional ally, East Lebatuck, declares war on Smalltopia, and before you know it, everyone activates their alliances, leading to a pro-longed and bloody conflict. Or something like that! If you have two opposing blocs, then basically it becomes too much bother not to have a war. I say we follow the United Federation and pursue a policy of isolationism. Let Blackacre and everyone else have their war. Heck, we could even sell arms to both sides!"

[EFFECT] a campaign is under way to invent a weapon that kills more efficiently

[OPTION] "Or we could guarantee success by doing the unexpected," claims Air Force Marshall @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ in a suspiciously Smalltopian accent. "I know @@NAME@@ and Blackacre have never seen eye to eye, but if we joined the Coalition Powers, that would tip the balance of military strength firmly in our favour. The war would be over by Maxmas and then we could divide up whatever East Lebatuck and Bigtopia have to offer between us. The spoils of war are always profitable for the victors! I have some… erm… contacts in Smalltopia who could arrange a meeting between us and Blackacre."

[EFFECT] posters depict @@LEADER@@ shaking hands with Valeria Drake while they both conceal daggers behind their backs

[DESCRIPTION] The nations of Blackacre, Smalltopia and Marche Noire recently formed a strategic alliance, known as the Coalition Powers, resulting in a massive military bloc, that is definitely not on the friendly side of @@NAME@@.

[VALIDITY] must have a decent sized military

[OPTION] "We need to form our own alliance quickly," opines Field Marshall @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ pushes a pile of small wooden soldiers across a large map in the direction of Blackacre. "If we make a defensive treaty with Bigtopia and East Lebatuck, then we will have a combined military capability of over a billion armed men, ready for deployment. As the Coalition Powers also have more than a billion soldiers, this will result in two heavily armed, yet equally matched blocs. No side will dare attack the other side, as it will undoubtedly lead to the mutually assured destruction of all participants. It's the only way to keep the peace @@LEADER@@."

[EFFECT] a billion weapons pointed at the enemy holds a shaky peace

[OPTION] "Well, it will only take a small spark to ignite that powder-keg," states Rear Admiral @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ pushes the pile of soldiers back towards @@NAME@@. "I can just see it happening: the Crown-Prince of Smalltopia visits Maxtopia. Then, a Maxtopian dissident assassinates the prince. Smalltopia declares war on Maxtopia. Maxtopia's traditional ally, East Lebatuck, declares war on Smalltopia, and before you know it, everyone activates their alliances, leading to a pro-longed and bloody conflict. Or something like that! If you have two opposing blocs, then basically it becomes too much bother not to have a war. I say we follow the United Federation and pursue a policy of isolationism. Let Blackacre and everyone else have their war. Heck, we could even sell arms to both sides!"

[OPTION] "I don't think isolationism is a viable option, as we're too geographically close to the action," posits your Finance Minister, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ pushes the pile of soldiers off the map. "What we need to do is follow Skandilund and declare neutrality. I also sense an opportunity to make some money here; let it be known to all sides that @@NAME@@ would be a safe place to keep all of their gold reserves. They wouldn't want their reserves to be destroyed during their war now, would they? And whenever their war ends, and they want their gold back, we will be in a much stronger position – both militarily and economically – to refuse!"

[EFFECT] there are many wolves at the door of @@NAME@@

[OPTION] "Or we could guarantee success by doing the unexpected," claims Air Force Marshall @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ in a suspiciously Smalltopian accent. "I know @@NAME@@ and Blackacre have never seen eye to eye, but if we joined the Coalition Powers, that would tip the balance of military strength firmly in our favour. The war would be over by Maxmas and then we could divide up whatever East Lebatuck and Bigtopia have to offer between us. The spoils of war are always profitable for the victors! I have some… erm… contacts in Smalltopia who could arrange a meeting between us and Blackacre."

[EFFECT] posters depict @@LEADER@@ shaking hands with Valeria Drake while they both conceal daggers behind their backs

[DESCRIPTION] The nations of Blackacre, Smalltopia and Marche Noire recently formed a strategic alliance, known as the Coalition Powers, resulting in an enormous military bloc, that is definitely not on the friendly side of @@NAME@@.

[VALIDITY] must have a decent sized military

[OPTION] "We need to form our own alliance quickly," opines Field Marshall @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ pushes a pile of small wooden soldiers across a large map in the direction of Blackacre. "If we make a defensive treaty with Bigtopia and East Lebatuck, then we will have a massive, combined military capability that rivals that of the Coalition Powers. This will result in two heavily armed, yet equally matched blocs. No side will dare attack the other side, as it will undoubtedly lead to the mutually assured destruction of all participants. It's the only way to keep the peace @@LEADER@@."

[EFFECT] peace grows out of the barrel of a gun

[OPTION] "Well, it will only take a small spark to ignite that powder-keg," states Rear Admiral @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, as @@HE@@ pushes the pile of soldiers back towards @@NAME@@. "I can just see it happening: the Crown-Prince of Smalltopia visits Maxtopia. Then, a Maxtopian dissident assassinates the prince. Smalltopia declares war on Maxtopia. Maxtopia's traditional ally, East Lebatuck, declares war on Smalltopia, and before you know it, everyone activates their alliances, leading to a prolonged and bloody conflict. Or something like that! If you have two opposing blocs, then basically it becomes too much bother not to have a war. I say we follow the United Federation and pursue a policy of isolationism. Let Blackacre and everyone else have their war. Heck, we could even sell arms to both sides!"

[OPTION] "I don't think isolationism is a viable option, as we're too geographically close to the action," posits your Finance Minister, @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ pushes the pile of soldiers off the map. "What we need to do is follow Skandilund and declare neutrality. I also sense an opportunity to make some money here; let it be known to all sides that @@NAME@@ would be a safe place to keep all of their gold reserves. They wouldn't want their reserves to be destroyed during their war now, would they? And whenever their war ends, and they want their gold back, we will be in a much stronger position – both militarily and economically – to refuse!"

[EFFECT] the first rule of business is 'never trust anyone'
Last edited by Baggieland on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:42 am

Hmmm... Good premise here, and frankly I really like the fact this doesn't present the player's nation as an unstoppable military juggernaut, but one that has to at least pretend to play nicely and share their toys.

I'd be tempted to make a reference to laundering Nazi gold like Switzerland in option 2 myself.

I'm not entirely sold on option 3. I get the whole Nazi/Soviet pact angle from the desc. but it's clearly telegraphed in the opening that the new power bloc doesn't like @@NAME@@ much. Without any other geopolitical context, (and I don't think there's space to add it here) I don't see why that'd be an option.

Perhaps a third option could revolve around sending some of your sneaky bastards out to disrupt and sow discord among the newfound friends?
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:17 am

Perhaps a third option could revolve around sending some of your sneaky bastards out to disrupt and sow discord among the newfound friends?
Absolutely this must be an option.

This seems like a really neat issue, but it's so grand and infrequent in NS that it almost feels deserving of a chain, though I'm aware of how much headache that'd be. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:16 pm

Option 1- where did you get that billion number from?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:02 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1- where did you get that billion number from?

I think it's fair to assume that Bigtopia and East Lebatuck have significant populations, add into that @@NAME@@'s population of fighting aged people and I think that's a fair enough round-about number.
Last edited by Baggieland on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 pm

Baggieland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1- where did you get that billion number from?

I think it's fair to assume that Bigtopia and East Lebatuck have significant populations, add into that @@NAME@@'s population of fighting aged people and I think that's a fair enough round-about number.

@@NAME@@'s population could be anywhere from 5 million to 30 billion+. That's a HUGE variation in number of people living in East Lebatuck and Bigtopia
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:15 am

Australian rePublic wrote:@@NAME@@'s population could be anywhere from 5 million to 30 billion+. That's a HUGE variation in number of people living in East Lebatuck and Bigtopia

But how many of them have joined the armed forces as a career choice? Conscription isn't mentioned here.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:22 am

Jutsa wrote:This seems like a really neat issue, but it's so grand and infrequent in NS that it almost feels deserving of a chain, though I'm aware of how much headache that'd be.

Quite possibly. However, option 1 is based on how all the major powers of Europe felt before WW1, and they all ended up going to war. Option 2 is based on America's stance during WW1, and they ended up going to war. Option 3 isn't based on any RL historical event, more around the hypothetical discussion of 'what would have happened if Britain had joined WW1 on the side of the Germans?'. However, there is a similar event, as Caracasus pointed out, of the Nazi/Soviet pact when they carved up Poland, and they both ended up going to war.

So what I'm saying is all roads lead to war. :)

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:28 am

Caracasus wrote:Perhaps a third option could revolve around sending some of your sneaky bastards out to disrupt and sow discord among the newfound friends?

Jutsa wrote:Absolutely this must be an option.

Hmm, so @@NAME@@ joins the Bigtopia/East Lebatuck alliance, and then goes about sabotaging it from within, in order to benefit Blackacre, @@NAME@@'s eternal enemy. Not sure about that.

However, this definitely has possibilities, as an option within itself:
Caracasus wrote:I'd be tempted to make a reference to laundering Nazi gold like Switzerland in option 2 myself.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:55 am

Caracasus wrote:I'm not entirely sold on option 3. I get the whole Nazi/Soviet pact angle from the desc. but it's clearly telegraphed in the opening that the new power bloc doesn't like @@NAME@@ much. Without any other geopolitical context, (and I don't think there's space to add it here) I don't see why that'd be an option.

True, of course. But it does say 'do the unexpected' and there is a clear middle-man who will facilitate talks between @@NAME@@ and Blackacre. There are other similar RL situations, example the Egyptians helping the Israelis to blockade their fellow Arabs.

Anyway, the 2nd draft is up. I've added the Swiss gold option and left the NAME/Blackacre alliance in there, for now.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:44 am

This is a good draft, Baggie. However, I think it would work better with just the first three options and cut the last one. As mentioned above, it doesn't make sense for your enemies to accept you into an alliance, especially with rocky relations in the past.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Baggieland wrote:

@@NAME@@'s population could be anywhere from 5 million to 30 billion+. That's a HUGE variation in number of people living in East Lebatuck and Bigtopia

yes but don't forget that in the option, @@NAME@@ would also have their own alliances.
*EDIT* Saying a billion guns isn't technically an estimate but rather than just a dramatically large number.
I do think that the validity should be changed to have a decent military with large population/Large military.
Last edited by South Ccanda on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Center-Left Libertarian. (-3,-3) on the Political Compass. My friends call me Whiskey cause I was named after a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I've been drowning myself in work, I just started Culinary School, and I recently got called a Boot Licker for thanking a veteran for their service. I'm sad that I have to witness the part of history where supporting Cops and Troops is seen and a radical ideology.
Updated on August 25th, 2020

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:52 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've dropped the final option and the numbers.

3rd draft is up.

South Ccanda
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby South Ccanda » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:29 am

Out of personal preference, I believe this,"peace can only be found at the end of a barrel of a gun" would look much better phrased like this, "Peace is only found at the end of a gun."

leading to a pro-longedprolonged and bloody conflict

a campaign is under way to invent a weapon that kills more efficiently

WMDs?
I am Center-Left Libertarian. (-3,-3) on the Political Compass. My friends call me Whiskey cause I was named after a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I've been drowning myself in work, I just started Culinary School, and I recently got called a Boot Licker for thanking a veteran for their service. I'm sad that I have to witness the part of history where supporting Cops and Troops is seen and a radical ideology.
Updated on August 25th, 2020

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:32 am

South Ccanda wrote:Out of personal preference, I believe this,"peace can only be found at the end of a barrel of a gun" would look much better phrased like this, "Peace is only found at the end of a gun."

Although your suggestion is more concise, and concise is usually good, however, this is a reference to a quote from Chairman Mao.

Your suggestion made me look up Chairman Mao's exact quote, rather than rely on my ageing memory, which was:

Every Communist must grasp the truth, "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."

So, I'm going to change it to: peace grows out of the barrel of a gun.

South Ccanda wrote:leading to a pro-longed prolonged and bloody conflict

Oops, thanks!

Both changes edited into draft 3.

South Ccanda wrote:WMDs?

That would require adding the WMDs validity, and I'd rather keep this issue open to more nations. By not mentioning WMDs, then nations with these weapons will receive this issue (and they can use these weapons if they want to!) and nations that don't have WMDs will also receive this issue, and they can have a good old conventional war!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

DragonReach
Attaché

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby DragonReach » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:05 am

I think we just found our new chain Imho. This deserves to not be wasted on just one Issue.

Baggieland wrote:
South Ccanda wrote:Out of personal preference, I believe this,"peace can only be found at the end of a barrel of a gun" would look much better phrased like this, "Peace is only found at the end of a gun."

Although your suggestion is more concise, and concise is usually good, however, this is a reference to a quote from Chairman Mao.

Your suggestion made me look up Chairman Mao's exact quote, rather than rely on my ageing memory, which was:

Every Communist must grasp the truth, "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."

So, I'm going to change it to: peace grows out of the barrel of a gun.

South Ccanda wrote:leading to a pro-longed prolonged and bloody conflict

Oops, thanks!

Both changes edited into draft 3.

South Ccanda wrote:WMDs?

That would require adding the WMDs validity, and I'd rather keep this issue open to more nations. By not mentioning WMDs, then nations with these weapons will receive this issue (and they can use these weapons if they want to!) and nations that don't have WMDs will also receive this issue, and they can have a good old conventional war!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Cant you do it the same way you got Issues for nations that have Private Industry and dont have Private industry and get different options ?.
Last edited by DragonReach on Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:50 am

DragonReach wrote:I think we just found our new chain Imho. This deserves to not be wasted on just one Issue.

Which chain were you thinking of?

DragonReach wrote:Cant you do it the same way you got Issues for nations that have Private Industry and dont have Private industry and get different options ?.

I don't think that's necessary, as this is about military strategy. So both private and public run states can get the same options. If you want to elaborate more on this, I will certainly consider it.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Ok, I've gone ahead and submitted it, thanks for all the input everyone.

DragonReach wrote:I think we just found our new chain Imho. This deserves to not be wasted on just one Issue.

You can still put your idea here, if I think it's a good suggestion, I will raise it in the editing room. Thanks.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:06 pm

I second that this could be a good chain idea. :P

I'm sure it'll be lovely regardless. :3
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?