NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Under the Influence?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

[Submitted] Under the Influence?

Postby Verdant Haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:06 pm

It was a little tough to search extant issues for this one, so please let me know if somebody is aware of another one that covers this topic. This issue is loosely inspired by the American Hatch Act, which puts limits on partisan political activities for most employees of the federal government.

[TITLE] Under the Influence?

[DESCRIPTION] A recent election was marred by complaints after the staff of a government office handed out fliers for a political candidate alongside required forms. The issue was made all the more contentious because the candidate who benefited happened to be the head of that office, and rumors swirl suggesting that the workers were seeking to curry favor and personal advancement by publicly supporting their elected boss.

[VALIDITY] Must allow voting, no autocracy

[CHOICE 1] "We must put an end to partisan behavior by government employees!" cries perennial losing candidate @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Hatch, sliding a hefty proposed law across your desk. "Pass this act, and stamp out all political activity by government employees, on or off the clock! This is to protect them from the corrupt elected officials put over them of courseā€¦ I would never propose such a thing simply because I was beaten yet again by some Bigtopian stooge!"

[FALLOUT 1] civil servants have lost their civil rights

[CHOICE 2] "What's all this then?" inquires winning candidate @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ pauses on the way to @@HIS@@ corner office. "If the people elect me to serve in a position, that means they trust my judgement about how I use the powers of that position. It's only natural that my employees would trust me as well, and want to support me. It's clearly just an exercise of free speech! Oh, by the way, have you met my new chief of staff, @@RANDOMNAME_2@@? @@HE_2@@ handed out more fliers than anybody at @@HIS_2@@ old job at the front desk!"

[FALLOUT 2] the spoils system is spoiling government offices

[CHOICE 3] "Surely there is some middle ground to be had" interjects Chief Electoral Officer @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ delivers the results of yet another vote recount. "Obviously we shouldn't allow meddling, but isn't it a bit extreme to take away the rights of all your employees? Maybe just don't allow them to canvass voters while performing their official duties, and perhaps lay off the requests for 'campaign contributions' alongside mandatory filing fees? What they do in their off time is their own business!"

[FALLOUT 3] quick political speeches have replaced the standard coffee break

Last edited by Verdant Haven on Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:11 am

I think there should be something mentioning that it falls under free speech.
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:30 am

I believe yhat this issue already exists
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:29 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I believe yhat this issue already exists

Thanks - I had trouble finding anything, because it's hard to figure out which terms to search with. Any idea what the issue was named, or its number?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Doesn't seem familiar to me.

A good premise this one, executed as solidly as ever.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:45 pm

I still haven't found another issue matching this one, so I'm going to keep working on it.

I definitely did mean to put "free speech" in it as an argument, and lost it in the shuffle. Thanks for the reminder, Sahkalinsk Empire! I've inserted it in Choice 2, where it was meant to be.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:56 pm

By government employees, how far do you take this? Operators of state owned enterprise? Train conductors? Train drivers?
By all political activities, how far do you take that? Protests, voting, Facebook posts?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:03 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:By government employees, how far do you take this? Operators of state owned enterprise? Train conductors? Train drivers?
By all political activities, how far do you take that? Protests, voting, Facebook posts?

That's exactly the nature of the issue! :-D

"Government Employees" specifically meant to refer to career/unelected employees of the national government - if their salary is paid by tax money, and they didn't campaign for office, they're on the list.

"Political activities" has the split choice - the first, which eliminates any and all activities, and the third, which limits only the blatant stuff while they're on the clock.

The Hatch Act, upon which this is based, restricts pretty much any and all active politics while on the clock. Protests, campaigning, social media posts, public appearances, speaking, signing, any pretty much any other active political activity is prohibited while on work or while wearing any sort of identifying apparel that would indicate your employment status. US federal employees also may not run for partisan office at any level while so employed, regardless of if it's done on or off the clock. It does not limit off-the-clock speaking, campaigning, protesting etc, except for a certain more limited list of agencies, whose employees are prohibited from many activities even while off off the clock.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:23 pm

Alright all! I realize it's been a little while, but I'm looking for any extra input on this one. I feel like it's got a solid premise and is fairly straightforward so far - I'd love to grab any additional feedback!

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:46 pm

The minor tweaks hinted at above were made (not enough for a new full draft) and I'm honestly pretty happy with this in its current form, but don't want to jump the gun.

Bueller?

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:04 pm

Three months on the cooker with a minimum of modifications suggested, so I'm pushing this to Last Call. Holler if you've got feedback before it goes in!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?