NATION

PASSWORD

Crispy babies on offer..

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

My baby will be..

Faster
4%
Stronger
4%
Better
22%
A carbon copy of David Hasselhoff
38%
Time to move planets..
33%

Total votes : 134

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Crispy babies on offer..

Postby Bombadil » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:38 am

A Chinese scientist has claimed the first babies edited with CRISPR technology.. gene editing that is banned is most countries because of ethical concerns.

The researcher, He Jiankui of Southern University of Science and Technology in Shenzhen, said he altered embryos for seven couples during fertility treatments, with one pregnancy resulting so far. He said his goal was not to cure or prevent an inherited disease, but to try to bestow a trait that few people naturally have: an ability to resist possible future infection with HIV.

Designer babies will simply be a thing one way or another, it’s inevitable. So should bans continue and we all go all in on a designer baby future?

What would you design your baby for, intelligence, strength or.. honour!

Personally I’m just going to accept this is the future, that there’ll be a high first mover advantage and the rich poor divide will be hugely accentuated.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... SApp_Other
Last edited by Bombadil on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Temporarrium
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Temporarrium » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:53 am

I sincerely hope that this would not become mainstream practice. The thought of gene editing seems to be a massive waste of resource, especially given the Chinese scientist's cause for the research, and not to mention ethically questionable as well.

So much work needs to be done.

I personally refuse to participate in/endorse the idea of baby design.

“The claim made by those responsible for the research is that the babies have been genome-edited in an attempt to make them immune to HIV. The lifetime risk of contracting HIV is extremely low in the first place; there are other means of prevention and it is no longer an incurable, inevitably terminal disease. Putting these children at such drastic risk for such a marginal gain is unjustifiable.”

Expect additional edits. Thanks for understanding.
Last edited by Temporarrium on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
T E M P O R A R R I U M
Time never stops. Time bites.
Do not expect a prompt reply.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:56 am

I was scared by that title at first. Thought this was gonna be about cannibalism.

Anyway, I have issues with designer babies, mostly because I can see this heading down the slippery slope of bringing eugenics back. I mean, it’s one thing to make a baby more resistant to HIV, but another thing when you start using that technology to create, say, genetically modified supersoldiers. Its probably just my overactive imagination running wild again, and it is 7 AM here so I’m also tired.

Not to mention, ever notice how competitive some parents can get about their kids (thinking their kid is the best at whatever)? For instance, when my mom was a teacher, she had parents come in all the time demanding that their children be tested for giftedness, then get mad when their kid tests as average (or even sometimes below). It’s like some parents are never satisfied with “average” kids. I could see this technology being abused.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:04 am

Bombadil wrote:The researcher, He Jiankui of Southern University of Science and Technology in Shenzhen, said he altered embryos for seven couples during fertility treatments, with one pregnancy resulting so far. He said his goal was not to cure or prevent an inherited disease, but to try to bestow a trait that few people naturally have: an ability to resist possible future infection with HIV.

The use in this case seems to be limited to enhancing the immune system of the resulting child; it is a bit like a vaccination, but given to them during their creation rather than afterwards. If that is as far as it goes, then it has my support, as long as it is made widely available as part of a general vaccination strategy, like polio vaccinations are for instance.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:05 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Bombadil wrote:The researcher, He Jiankui of Southern University of Science and Technology in Shenzhen, said he altered embryos for seven couples during fertility treatments, with one pregnancy resulting so far. He said his goal was not to cure or prevent an inherited disease, but to try to bestow a trait that few people naturally have: an ability to resist possible future infection with HIV.

The use in this case seems to be limited to enhancing the immune system of the resulting child; it is a bit like a vaccination, but given to them during their creation rather than afterwards. If that is as far as it goes, then it has my support, as long as it is made widely available as part of a general vaccination strategy, like polio vaccinations are for instance.

It will not be as far as it goes.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:07 am

Xmara wrote:I was scared by that title at first. Thought this was gonna be about cannibalism.

Me too, actually.

I wasn't going to even click on it until I saw the OP was Bombadil, when I figured it might not be so straight-forward.

I'm not opposed to screening embryos to ensure they are free of a fatal or life-limiting genetic disease that runs in the family.

But, if bans were relaxed, I worry that healthier babies will give way to "better" babies -- someone's subjective idea of what makes a "perfect" human being (what skin colour, eye colour, intellect, personality traits are desireable). And that thinking leads to nowhere good.

So, while I think pre-natal screening is okay (for medical reasons only), I draw the line at designer babies.

EDIT: Though, I do accept that designer babies will happen. I just think it shouldn't.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:15 am

Trying to maintain a ban on this technology is a losing battle if ever there was one.

Technocratic Uganda
Envoy

Founded: Jun 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Technocratic Uganda » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:19 am

The gene the Chinese want to edit that deals with HIV would also make people immune to smallpox if editing was successful. Although smallpox has been reduced to the status of potential biological weapon, stockpiles of it are held by the US and Russia and its fully-sequenced genome is plastered all over the internet.

Really makes you think, doesn't it?
Last edited by Technocratic Uganda on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
21, unsure about my gender, born male but might be trans, love hiking and nature, love gaming especially csgo and osu!

kawaii :3

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:21 am

Technocratic Uganda wrote:The gene the Chinese want to edit that deals with HIV would also make people immune to smallpox if editing was successful. Although smallpox has been reduced to the status of potential biological weapon, stockpiles of it are held by the US and Russia and its fully-sequenced genome is plastered all over the internet.

Really makes you think, doesn't it?

...about...what, exactly? What are you implying here? :eyebrow:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Trumptonium1
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:40 am

Rich people will just go to China to have their babies and come back.

It's a great invention.

Once again China running in front of the West.
Last edited by Trumptonium1 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Preferred pronouns: His Majesty/Your Highness

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/
Resident Non-Pumpkin Character

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:45 am

It's not exactly a black and white scenario, like many situations.

On one hand, if the designer babies can make it work in a good way, gone are the days of childhood diseases or any other kind of ailments that will strike along the way.

On the other, it'll bring eugenics back, and sooner or later we will (probably) have a fight over whose child is smarter, stronger, and faster. It will become a genetics arms race, and your childhood will become a messy blur of "piano classes, track & field, enhancement classes for gifted children, etc, etc" that you might even wonder if your childhood was a good one, or just another markup to make your parents proud and loud.

(I actually thought that judging from the title, someone is selling babies in GE&T again).
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:50 am

Assuming this claim is true, it's a step forwards towards the betterment of the human race. The potential miracles people can do with CRISPR have been known for years. The only problem is that capitalism can turn this into a class-based disaster as Trumptonium said

Trumptonium1 wrote:Rich people will just go to China to have their babies and come back.

But China isn't fully capitalist so perhaps it will see more widespread usage there, forcing other countries to slowly adopt it and make it widely available.

Valentine Z wrote:On the other, it'll bring eugenics back, and sooner or later we will (probably) have a fight over whose child is smarter, stronger, and faster. It will become a genetics arms race, and your childhood will become a messy blur of "piano classes, track & field, enhancement classes for gifted children, etc, etc" that you might even wonder if your childhood was a good one, or just another markup to make your parents proud and loud.

This is a good point but improving the human race is what we've been doing for centuries through the sciences, education, vaccinations, sports, the arts etc. CRISPR will allow us to improve humanity at a much faster rate. Just like one could argue that it can be out-of-control eugenics, another could point out that not using CRISPR will keep us eternally dumb, weak, slow.
Last edited by -Ocelot- on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:02 am

-Ocelot- wrote:This is a good point but improving the human race is what we've been doing for centuries through the sciences, education, vaccinations, sports, the arts etc. CRISPR will allow us to improve humanity at a much faster rate. Just like one could argue that it can be out-of-control eugenics, another could point out that not using CRISPR will keep us eternally dumb, weak, slow.

Ahh, I see. Yeah, I never thought of it that way, the fact that science and improvement have been happening outside of directly modifying the genes.

I just wonder if we are actually ready to improve ourselves at a faster rate.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

House Ipsen-Drumria
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby House Ipsen-Drumria » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:19 am

The West is again hamstrung by fear of eugenics, while East Asia moves forward without hindrance. Thanks a lot, Nazis, for messing up the perception of an entire field of science. Thanks a lot.

However, technological augmentation has infinitely more potential than only playing around with meat ever will, so the impact of this promises to be very negligible compared to neural tech and uploading. I expect it to be semi-useful until biology is made entirely obsolete in 20-100 years (for those who can afford it, that is).

Another problem though is, China could be first in that as well, given the West's religion-based squeamishness. And I don't want to know what the CCP would do with total control over the brain.
Last edited by House Ipsen-Drumria on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:24 am

House Ipsen-Drumria wrote:The West is again hamstrung by fear of eugenics, while East Asia moves forward without hindrance. Thanks a lot, Nazis, for messing up the perception of an entire field of science. Thanks a lot.

It's not Nazi Germany that holds the west back but the Christian dogma. We don't want to "play god" now, do we? It would make the clergy and some of the people mad!

Thankfully, China has none of that shit.

House Ipsen-Drumria
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby House Ipsen-Drumria » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:29 am

-Ocelot- wrote:
House Ipsen-Drumria wrote:The West is again hamstrung by fear of eugenics, while East Asia moves forward without hindrance. Thanks a lot, Nazis, for messing up the perception of an entire field of science. Thanks a lot.

It's not Nazi Germany that holds the west back but the Christian dogma. We don't want to "play god" now, do we? It would make the clergy and some of the people mad!

It's both, I would say. Musk himself said that "the Hitler problem" made it impractical for him to attempt researching human genetic improvement. China has the advantage of never having had either racial purity demagogues tarnishing the concept of human enhancement or a religion that values invisible concepts and superstition above reality.

It's too bad they're a one-party state very keen on using any advances to tighten control over everything it sees. That part is threatening.
Last edited by House Ipsen-Drumria on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eilodon
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eilodon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:29 am

-Ocelot- wrote:

I highly agree. Religion holds humanity and civilization back.

Also, was I the only one who read the topics title wrong?

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:32 am

Designer babies is a very grey area for me, especially considering that I wish to enter the field of medical genetics. Gene repair, insertion, etc are all valid tools that can be used to remove genetic diseases or add in genes that can help prevent future disease, cure deafness, etc. The issue comes with accessibility; personally I am in favor of expanding accessibility as far and wide as possible and generally I prefer only allowing it for medical uses as opposed to non-medical usage. That said, we still haven't pinpointed the genes that contribute to intelligence (iirc) and so that particular fear is a bit of the ways off.

Also it's worth noting that CRISPR is not risk free. It can cause unwanted genetic mutations within the genome, some of which may end up being detrimental to a patient's health and life.
Last edited by Napkiraly on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

House Ipsen-Drumria
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby House Ipsen-Drumria » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:33 am

Eilodon wrote:
-Ocelot- wrote:

I highly agree. Religion holds humanity and civilization back.

Also, was I the only one who read the topics title wrong?

I thought it was another "babies for sale" RP threat by Hammer Britannia, since the left bar doesn't show the forum it's in or the author. :p

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:33 am

-Ocelot- wrote:

The fear over eugenics is primarily led by the horrific uses of it under the Nazis. Before them eugenics was widely popular, especially among progressive circles.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:35 am

-Ocelot- wrote:Assuming this claim is true, it's a step forwards towards the betterment of the human race. The potential miracles people can do with CRISPR have been known for years. The only problem is that capitalism can turn this into a class-based disaster as Trumptonium said

Trumptonium1 wrote:Rich people will just go to China to have their babies and come back.

But China isn't fully capitalist so perhaps it will see more widespread usage there, forcing other countries to slowly adopt it and make it widely available.

Valentine Z wrote:On the other, it'll bring eugenics back, and sooner or later we will (probably) have a fight over whose child is smarter, stronger, and faster. It will become a genetics arms race, and your childhood will become a messy blur of "piano classes, track & field, enhancement classes for gifted children, etc, etc" that you might even wonder if your childhood was a good one, or just another markup to make your parents proud and loud.

This is a good point but improving the human race is what we've been doing for centuries through the sciences, education, vaccinations, sports, the arts etc. CRISPR will allow us to improve humanity at a much faster rate. Just like one could argue that it can be out-of-control eugenics, another could point out that not using CRISPR will keep us eternally dumb, weak, slow.
As a species humans are not dumb nor weak. We wouldn't be the top species if we were.

House Ipsen-Drumria
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby House Ipsen-Drumria » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:36 am

Napkiraly wrote:Designer babies is a very grey area for me, especially considering that I wish to enter the field of medical genetics. Gene repair, insertion, etc are all valid tools that can be used to remove genetic diseases or add in genes that can help prevent future disease, cure deafness, etc. The issue comes with accessibility; personally I am in favor of expanding accessibility as far and wide as possible and generally I prefer only allowing it for medical uses as opposed to non-medical usage. That said, we still haven't pinpointed the genes that contribute to intelligence (iirc) and so that particular fear is a bit of the ways off.

Also it's worth noting that CRISPR is not risk free. It can cause unwanted genetic mutations within the genome, some of which may end up being detrimental to a patient's health and life.

I for one do not understand the reluctance to actually improve rather than merely heal and mend, as long as the risk-benefit analysis of the procedure is ok to the person involved.

Besides, being on top because you're sufficiently more sapient (FAR from fully sapient) than rats, dolphins and cats is nothing to brag about. :p
Last edited by House Ipsen-Drumria on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:38 am

Well I think this technology should be allowed but it needs to be heavily tested before we start using it. It's to valuable of a technology not to pursue but we do need to make sure everything is safe before we start using it.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:38 am

House Ipsen-Drumria wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Designer babies is a very grey area for me, especially considering that I wish to enter the field of medical genetics. Gene repair, insertion, etc are all valid tools that can be used to remove genetic diseases or add in genes that can help prevent future disease, cure deafness, etc. The issue comes with accessibility; personally I am in favor of expanding accessibility as far and wide as possible and generally I prefer only allowing it for medical uses as opposed to non-medical usage. That said, we still haven't pinpointed the genes that contribute to intelligence (iirc) and so that particular fear is a bit of the ways off.

I for one do not understand the reluctance to actually improve rather than merely heal and mend, as long as the risk-benefit analysis of the procedure is ok to the person involved.

Accessibility and turning the hierarchical system into something that is hilariously rigid.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:39 am

Andsed wrote:Well I think this technology should be allowed but it needs to be heavily tested before we start using it. It's to valuable of a technology not to pursue but we do need to make sure everything is safe before we start using it.

It will never be 100% safe.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General