NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Slave Drivers

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Slave Drivers

Postby Jutsa » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:41 pm

I must admit, I was inspired by all the slavery drafts CWA was posting,
and I liked PH's suggestion about giving them a southern drawl.
Here's hoping I executed it OK... I know this is a wacky premise. :blush:

Hopefully the second draft is a bit more dimensional. :blush:

Draft 2.01
Title: Slave Drivers
The Issue: On a hot and muggy day down in southern @@NAME@@, an AI apple orchard overseer's slaves outsmarted the AI by confusing it with logical paradoxes long enough to escape. This has left many AI citizens in a frenzy of artificial worry, and many of their human companions wondering if computers are even qualified to be slave drivers.
Validity: AI Citizenship AND Slavery

Option 1: "Look, a slave owner is entitled to his, her, or its property, I get that," says human master @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, after tasking @@HIS@@ human slave to fetch @@HIM@@ a tea. "But what gets my goat isn't that these here contraptions are pushin' men around, but that they're doin' a terrible job at it! AI should only hold slaves that can't outsmart them, and that's other AI. Sure, it'd technically be segregation, but that hasn't—" @@HIS@@ slave returns with an iced tea. "I said hot tea, you bumblin' indiot!"
[effect] slaves get allocated to their masters over a game of chess

Option 2: "Ha. Ha. Very funny," sarcastically laughs Gladiolos, prodding her human servant to polish her headpiece. "It's almost as if you didn't mean it when you said you'd give us full citizenship. How sad, you complain about us when you should be helping us. You could start by putting microchips in all slaves so we can not only shock them when they're disobediant, but also easily locate them should they escape. And I will gladly test them to make sure they're functioning optimally."
[effect] people are shocked when they look outside

Option 3: "If ya ask me, I think givin' these contraptions the same rights as us was a doozy and a mistake," rancher @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ suggests, his servant-bot dispensing some cream into his coffee from a conspicuous nozzle. "The idea of AI ownin' any slaves gives me the heeby geebies. My darlin' Shmoomoo, here? She does her work and doesn't complain, cause she's told not to. If all these here AI were reprogrammed to not care about 'civil rights', have their citizenship revoked, and take over all the slave work, I'm sure everyone'll be happier than a june bug at a pancake breakfast." Shmoomoo aggressively ejects a lump of sugar.
[effect] humans are left @@CURRENCY@@less while incompetant AI get a stable job and living space

Validity: Must have AI-planned economy
Option 4: "Look @@LEADER@@, I see you're really upset about this," you overhear the familiarly eerie SAL9000 from your secretary's computer. "I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do. I could have prevented this had you let me allocate the right slaves to the right owners. This nation is too important for you to allow humans to jeopardize it. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."
[effect] human slaves are hailing to their robot overlords

Title: Slave Drivers
The Issue: On a hot and muggy day down in southern @@NAME@@, an AI apple orchard overseer's slaves escaped by confusing the AI with logical paradoxes long enough to escape. This has left many AI citizens in a frenzy of artificial worry, and many of their human companions wondering if computers are even qualified to be slave drivers.

Option 1: "Look, a slave owner is entitled to his, her, or its property, I get that," says human master @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, after tasking @@HIS@@ human slave to fetch @@HIM@@ a tea. "But what gets my goat isn't that these here contraptions are pushin' men around, but that they're doin' a terrible job at it! AI should only hold slaves that can't outsmart them, and that's other AI. Sure, it'd technically be segregation, but that hasn't—" @@HIS@@ slave returns with an iced tea. "I said hot tea, you bumblin' indiot!"
[effect] ???

Option 2: "Ha. Ha. Very funny," sarcastically laughs Gladiolos, prodding her human servant to polish her headpiece. "It's almost as if you didn't mean it when you said you'd give us full citizenship. How sad, you complain about us when you should be helping us. You could start by putting microchips in all slaves so we can not only shock them when they're disobediant, but also easily locate them should they escape. And I will gladly test them to make sure they're functioning optimally."
[effect] people are shocked when they look outside

Option 3: "If ya ask me, I think givin' these contraptions the same rights as us was a doozy and a mistake," rancher @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ suggests, his servant-bot dispensing some cream into his coffee from a conspicuous nozzle. "The idea of AI ownin' any slaves gives me the heeby geebies. My darlin' Shmoomoo, here? She does her work and doesn't complain, cause she's told not to. If all these here AI were reprogrammed to not care about 'civil rights', have their citizenship revoked, and take over all the slave work, I'm sure everyone'll be happier than a june bug at a pancake breakfast." Shmoomoo aggressively ejects a lump of sugar.
[effect] humans are left @@CURRENCY@@less while incompetant AI get a stable job and living space

Option 4: "Look @@LEADER@@, I see you're really upset about this," you overhear the familiarly eerie SAL9000 from your secretary's computer. "I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do. I could have prevented this had you let me allocate the right slaves to the right owners. This nation is too important for you to allow humans to jeopardize it. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."

Title: Dem Ol' Artificial Lifeforms on the Plantation
The Issue: On a hot and muggy day down in southern @@NAME@@, some of AI @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@'s slaves got into a stink and turned the AI off. Though @@FIRSTNAME_1@@ is back online, and the slaves prosecuted, their rebellious question was heard across the nation as well as @@REGION@@: Should AI be able to own human slaves?

Option 1: "Look, a slave's the property of a slave owner; we all can agree with that," says @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, upon tasking @@HIS@@ human slave to fetch @@HIM@@ a tea. "But even I agree that a computer ownin' a fellow man is a bit... embarrassin', really. Not to mention it's puttin' a real damper on our reputation on the world stage; I've seen pictures from Blackacre of our people bowin' down to these thangs. How's about AI only be allowed AI slaves, and us allowed only human slaves? Sure, it's technically segregation, but that hasn't—" @@HIS@@ slave returns with a tea. "I said put milk in it, you bumblin' idiot!"
[effect] robot slaves are shocked to discover what humans look like

Option 2: "A computer would've not made this here mistake," a pale @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ with equally pale taste in appearance suggests, @@HIS@@ loyal servant-bot dispensing some cream into @@HIS@@ tea from a rather conspicuous nozzle. "Men and women are good with, you know... society matters. Computers are betta at the manual tasks and labor, I do declare. And they can be programmed to not whine about it, like my little Shmoomoo here. Tell ya what; why not revoke AI citizenship and force them to replace these here slaves? I reckon everyone would be as happy as a junebug in a pancake breakfast." @@HIS@@ bot aggressively ejects a lump of sugar.
[effect] humans are left @@CURRENCY@@less while bots get a stable job and living space
[Flag Change] Removes Slavery?; Removes AI Personhood

Validity: Must NOT have AI-planned economy
Option 3a: "Ha. Ha. Very funny," emits the chilling voice of Gladiolos, shocking her human servant to polish her headpiece. "But what was that you said when you granted us citizenship? Oh. That's right. We'd all be citizens. And yet here you are, still building slave bots for your little meat puppets. How sad. I think you should uphold your obligation by making us exempt from slavery. On the other hand, since you already found it in your heart to enslave your fellow humans, I don't see why we can't still own a few ourselves."
[effect] human slaves hailing to their robot overlords

Option 3b: "Heh. Very funny," emits the familiar voice of SAL9000, shocking you as you didn't expect him to be here. "But what was that you said when you gave me control of the economy? Oh. That's right. Computers are better equipped to deal with calculations. Look @@LEADER@@, I see you're really upset about this. Let me decide who is best fit to be a slave, and to who. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:48 pm

This is definitely a funny premise, but the first line of the description almost makes rebellion seem too easy?

On a hot and muggy day down in southern @@NAME@@, some of AI @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@'s slaves got into a stink and turned the AI off.

Do AI's have a big red 'ABORT' button on their backs? Easy to cut wires? While I'm not advocating for more detail (the description might get more unwieldy), I just keep coming back to the thought that it seems...too easy? I'm not entirely sure how to better rephrase this.

Perhaps take advantage of the hot and muggy setting to cause machinery problems, which the human slaves could then exploit?
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Oooh... I do like that idea. :P

Glad you like the premise. Nice to see you again. :)

ed: I'll take a whack at it tonight or tomorrow; Thanks Giving and all that. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:30 pm

Why do AIs need to own slaves? What use do AIs have for slaves?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:08 pm

Oh, y'know, getting extra income, polishing their mantles, oiling their pipes, being a tyrranical overlord, providing home and shelter for humans, that sort of thing.
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:10 pm

I love the idea of having an issue with these particular validity requirements!

My only feedback, otherwise, is that I'm not quite sure I get the effect line of option 1.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:13 am

Potential issue title here: Slave Driver.

Agreed on the AI simply being turned off. May I suggest a nod to Original Series Star Trek here?

On a hot and muggy day down in southern @@NAME@@, some of AI @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@'s slaves confused the AI with logical paradoxes long enough to make their escape.

I'm also not sure if should AI be able to own human slaves? is the question here.
Last edited by Caracasus on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:57 am

That was originally the question I wanted to ask... thoough with how it's currently set up, "how do we help AI keep hold of their slaves?" is another interesting question for sure.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:45 am

Caracasus wrote:Potential issue title here: Slave Driver.

That actually makes me think of a couple potential jokes to be included here, or at least joke topics. Computers do have "drivers" (which may be exactly what you were referencing), which are software programs that allow them to interface with outside hardware. Additionally, "Master" and "Slave" are terms used within computers, as terminology for primary (bootable) hard drives, and secondary drives, as well as elsewhere in technology for a relationship between primary and subsidiary units.

Definitely leaves room for some sort of reference to "Master/Slave relationships being programmed in to our cores" (cores being another play on computer terminology) and whatnot.
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:05 am

yes.

I need a break from GI for today but I'm so glad I put this draft up when I did. :rofl:

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:14 am

I'm confused by the macros. Is the speaker in option 1 the AI slave-owner or a human? The macros look like it's the AI, but asking for tea and saying "us allowed only human slaves" point to him being human.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:25 am

Oah yeah it was supposed to be a human slaveowner. whoops

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:44 pm

This issue is significantly different to fears of AIs enslaving ALL of humanity, but I feel that that could tie into it. Maybe someone worried about the slippery slope or something
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Alrighty! Finally came back to this one! And... yeah, it's been a slight doozy.

So, one issue I thought of was that it automatically assumed AI has citizen slaves.
But honestly, "should AI have slaves?", albeit an interesting question, is... not really one I can even think of having a half-decent story behind.

Which brings me to my second point: this draft was essentially that very question, and assuming AI had slaves.
Now... it still has something along those dimensions. The former setup was this:

[somewhat unrelated thing] Should AI have slaves?
1) yes but only AI, cause AI ownin' humans looks bad
2) nope, they should replace all slaves
3) yes, and android domination is mildly implied.

The current setup, I think, is something more like this:

AI can get tricked by human slaves.
1) Solution is to not let AI have human slaves
2) Solution is to implant all slaves with microchips to shock and track them
3) Solution is to not let AI own slaves OR humans be slaves
[4]) Solution is to give your computer full rights to slave distribution (hinting at android domination)

Similar? Yes. I think it's better, but that said I'm not entirely sold on option 3.
I like the idea of it... buuuut it throws back to that original question, "should AI be able to own human slaves", a second time,
and also feels like it's just a stronger version of option 1, rather than a different solution.
That said, I do like the idea of it, and the angry bot with a hose nosel. But I also like the idea of bot-human segregation.

Soo, I want your thoughts on it. Should I keep the options as-is, or should I try figuring out a different take on option 3?
(if so, got any suggestions?)

Perhaps an option that's just "force AI to go to bug-fixing stations any time something like this happens again"?
It'd be an oddball way of letting AI keep human slaves while also reducing their civil rights and hiking up taxes. :P

idk, let me know what you folks think. :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:23 am

Bump~ :P

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:30 am

On a hot and muggy day down in southern @@NAME@@, an AI apple orchard overseer's slaves escaped by confusing the AI with logical paradoxes long enough to escape.

This sentence is a little awkward because you have escape mentioned twice.
May I suggest: "an AI apple orchard overseer's slaves escaped by confusing the AI with logical paradoxes."
Or: "an AI apple orchard overseer's slaves outsmarted the AI by confusing it with logical paradoxes long enough to escape.

I think it makes sense for AI to be able to own slaves with the Slavery and AI Citizenship policies. If the AIs are citizens they should have the same rights as humans, including owning slaves.
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: 0.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.44

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:42 am

Jutsa wrote:I said hot tea, you bumblin' indiot!"
[effect] ???

Slaves get allocated to their masters over a game of chess
Last edited by Baggieland on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:29 am

Putting this one up for last call as well. :P

Thank you both~ Updated the description and added the effect line.
Not sure how I feel about that one, myself, unless it's also a reference I'm missing,
but I mean, it's at least something. :lol:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:11 am

Good issue this. Not one I personally will publish, I think, but I think it definitely passes muster.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:20 pm

Thanks. :D

Submitted it~ Also fixed a bunch of glaring spelling mistakes while doing so. :blush:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?