NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal Permit Male Circumcision.

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Palsada
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Repeal Permit Male Circumcision.

Postby Palsada » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:17 pm

https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_pa ... /council=1

RECOGNIZING that there may always be medical circumstances that require that male circumcision must be performed.

COMMENDS that the current resolution does make it mandatory for the procedure to be performed by a trained medical professional in a clean and sterile environment, removing the potential for it to be performed by religious leaders without anaesthesia outside of a medical setting.

BELIEVING that forcing WA nations to allow unnecessary medical procedures on male newborns, babies, and toddlers for religious and societal reasons does not allow individual nations to protect children from potential harm. Circumcision is a surgical procedure, and understanding that every surgical procedure carries some inherent risk, by forcing WA nations to allow it, the WA is forcing nations to allow minor's to be put at risk of surgical complications for a non medically necessary procedure.

AFFIRMING THAT the goal of this repeal is not to ban male circumcision for all WA nations, but to allow each WA nation to make their own choice in regards to its availability and access within their borders.

ACKNOWLEDGING that male circumcision is a longstanding cultural tradition in some parts of the world, but ASSERTING that cultural or religious identity or tradition is wholly inadequate justification for forcing WA nations to allow the unnecessary altering of a minor's sexual organs without their consent.

It is my intent to submit this proposal to repeal WA resolution 141 that currently forces all WA nations to allow male circumcision.
Last edited by Palsada on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 9 times in total.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Palsada wrote:
SHOCKED that the current resolution does not make it mandatory for the procedure to be performed by a trained medical professional in a clean and sterile environment, leaving the potential for it to be performed by religious leaders without anaesthesia outside of a medical setting.

The target resolution states 'DECLARES male circumcision to be a medical procedure, and entitles patients undergoing male circumcision to all the protections associated with that status'. This should account for your concerns.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Palsada
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Palsada » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:49 pm

The New Nordic Union wrote:
Palsada wrote:
SHOCKED that the current resolution does not make it mandatory for the procedure to be performed by a trained medical professional in a clean and sterile environment, leaving the potential for it to be performed by religious leaders without anaesthesia outside of a medical setting.

The target resolution states 'DECLARES male circumcision to be a medical procedure, and entitles patients undergoing male circumcision to all the protections associated with that status'. This should account for your concerns.
duly noted. Will ammend that section.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:26 pm

“Whilst this is one of the better attempts, and there have been many, more-reasoned repeals done by more experienced author have failed, giving the target resolution a very low chance of ever being removed in the near future. This is a good draft though, so I recommend you stick around, but 141 is here to stay.”

“If you do intend to continue drafting, ‘minors’ should be ‘minor’s’ in the last clause.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Palsada
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Palsada » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“Whilst this is one of the better attempts, and there have been many, more-reasoned repeals done by more experienced author have failed, giving the target resolution a very low chance of ever being removed in the near future. This is a good draft though, so I recommend you stick around, but 141 is here to stay.”

“If you do intend to continue drafting, ‘minors’ should be ‘minor’s’ in the last clause.”
I thank you for your input, hopefully I can make this one convincing enough to pass.

I will ammend the last clause as per your suggestion.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:14 pm

"Arasi Luvasa is very much opposed, the practice as implemented under this law reduces the already low chances of complications. With proper medical surgery, the risk approaches nothing. From what I have heard though, circumcision later in life can be more of a memorably painful experience. Circumcision being a performed in a medical setting is already a compromise for both sides and I don't think the negligible risk is a good reason to trample over individuals religious traditions."
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Palsada
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Palsada » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Arasi Luvasa wrote:"Arasi Luvasa is very much opposed, the practice as implemented under this law reduces the already low chances of complications. With proper medical surgery, the risk approaches nothing. From what I have heard though, circumcision later in life can be more of a memorably painful experience. Circumcision being a performed in a medical setting is already a compromise for both sides and I don't think the negligible risk is a good reason to trample over individuals religious traditions."
I respect your opinion on the matter, but disagree with the need for this legislation.

As it stands, you are correct, in a proper medical setting the risk is very low. But measured against that, the risk is not, and can never be zero, for all surgical procedures carry some form of risk.

So to measure that risk versus the justification of the surgery in the first place, which are largely for cosmetic/religious reasons, and it should be up to individual nations on how to deal with with the moral implications of male circumcision.

This legislation as it is currently structured is a overreach. Forcing every single WA region to allow it when they may or may not agree with it severely restricts the choice for nations surrounding this complicating moral issue.

Again, this is not a repeal to ban Male circumcision in every nation, simply to allow the ability of every nation to choose for themselves.
Last edited by Palsada on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Palsada wrote: [...]Again, this is not a repeal to ban Male circumcision in every nation, simply to allow the ability of every nation to choose for themselves.

The problem here being, with the concerns about safety gone, you are veering dangerously in the direction of a NatSov only repeal, which is illegal.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Aboveland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 04, 2013

Postby Aboveland » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Palsada wrote:
Arasi Luvasa wrote:"Arasi Luvasa is very much opposed, the practice as implemented under this law reduces the already low chances of complications. With proper medical surgery, the risk approaches nothing. From what I have heard though, circumcision later in life can be more of a memorably painful experience. Circumcision being a performed in a medical setting is already a compromise for both sides and I don't think the negligible risk is a good reason to trample over individuals religious traditions."
I respect your opinion on the matter, but disagree with the need for this legislation.

As it stands, you are correct, in a proper medical setting the risk is very low. But measured against that, the risk is not, and can never be zero, for all surgical procedures carry some form of risk.

So to measure that risk versus the justification of the surgery in the first place, which are largely for cosmetic/religious reasons, and it should be up to individual nations on how to deal with with the moral implications of male circumcision.

This legislation as it is currently structured is a overreach. Forcing every single WA region to allow it when they may or may not agree with it severely restricts the choice for nations surrounding this complicating moral issue.

Again, this is not a repeal to ban Male circumcision in every nation, simply to allow the ability of every nation to choose for themselves.

But the current resolution allows people to choose whether to be/have their children circumcised or not. If it allows everyone to be circumcised it also allows everyone to choose not to be. I don't see the point.
AUTONOMOUS TERRITORIES OF THE ABOVIAN UNION: Nykipiflugpuu

Home to Terho Talvela, three-time WGPC World Champion, and one-time WSRC World Champion

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Palsada wrote:As it stands, you are correct, in a proper medical setting the risk is very low. But measured against that, the risk is not, and can never be zero, for all surgical procedures carry some form of risk.

"There is a measure of risk in practically everything we do, swimming and eating chicken can also lead to problems. People can die from drinking apple cider. That is why it is noted how risky a prodecure is, in this case it is negligible."

"Which to individuals can be a pretty big thing. For some it is a symbol of being an adult and if you are uncircumcised or circumcised in an incorrect fashion, then you will be perpetually treated as a child. For others it may mean eternal damnation. It is impossible to judge risk anyway, also this would potentially allow countries to ban male circumcision outright, regardless of individual consequences or consent. Current legislation does not unnecessarily trample over religious freedoms (or should we mandate that all births be done within a hospital and that mothers must spend a the last few weeks leading up to birth within a hospital) but does place reasonable limits onto the practice. There is also very little proof of harm outside the negligible chance of complications."
OOC: I have read that even outside a medical setting, complications are still quite rare.

"I doubt any legislation that has been passed is an overreach, besides this does fall under the concept of protecting rights that an individual nation may wish to infringe on. You will have to argue very well to convince me that legislation that compromises quite reasonably on a cultural issue, with practically no dangers after the resolutions passing, is an overreach."

"Which is why the legislation was drafted, to protect cultural and religious rituals but also regulate it to a setting in which it's dangers are practically non-existent. Why should this be determined by the nation in question? should the nations culture over-ride the culture of the individual? I don't think this gives adequate reasoning to allow nations to trample over cultural and religious values."
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Palsada
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Palsada » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Aboveland wrote:
Palsada wrote:I respect your opinion on the matter, but disagree with the need for this legislation.

But the current resolution allows people to choose whether to be/have their children circumcised or not. If it allows everyone to be circumcised it also allows everyone to choose not to be. I don't see the point.
A excellent point, I must admit.

To that I must simply point to the numerous other instances of nations deciding on what to allow and what not to allow for its citizens, especially when it comes to the rights and protection of children.

As it stands, I understand your opposition to the legislation based on how you feel about it, but if I were to draw your attention to how the repeal is currently written. Do you see anywhere that it can be improved upon?

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:23 am

OOC: I see that Permit Male Circumcision is apparently a compromise resolution. May I ask what you guys were arguing about when the original resolution was at vote? My nation wasn't around at the time.

IC: New Bremerton condemns the involuntary genital mutilation, often euphemized as "circumcision", of children regardless of gender, especially if such acts are perpetrated in the name of culture or religion, and we regard such cultures, religions and customs to be barbaric and worthy of condemnation. We reject the politically correct notion that "all cultures/religions are equal". They are not. A culture/religion that brooks no political dissent, cuts the genitals of baby girls, throws gays off rooftops, stones adulterers and rape victims to death and beheads those who renounce or insult a particular religion or prophet are clearly inferior, and New Bremerton is neither ashamed nor afraid to tout its cultural superiority over such nations and regions. We also reject the feminist double standard that male circumcision may be acceptable in some circumstances, whereas female circumcision is always a crime against humanity. At the same time, this nation expressly permits the voluntary bodily modification of consenting adults, again regardless of gender, although we are aware that many women in many nations are often coerced into having their genitals mutilated, and that these women require special protection. As such, this repeal has our unwavering SUPPORT.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Palsada
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Palsada » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:26 am

New Bremerton wrote:OOC: I see that Permit Male Circumcision is apparently a compromise resolution. May I ask what you guys were arguing about when the original resolution was at vote? My nation wasn't around at the time.

IC: New Bremerton condemns the involuntary genital mutilation, often euphemized as "circumcision", of children regardless of gender, especially if such acts are perpetrated in the name of culture or religion, and we regard such cultures, religions and customs to be barbaric and worthy of condemnation. We reject the politically correct notion that "all cultures/religions are equal". They are not. A culture/religion that brooks no political dissent, cuts the genitals of baby girls, throws gays off rooftops, stones adulterers and rape victims to death and beheads those who renounce or insult a particular religion or prophet are clearly inferior, and New Bremerton is neither ashamed nor afraid to tout its cultural superiority over such nations and regions. We also reject the feminist double standard that male circumcision may be acceptable in some circumstances, whereas female circumcision is always a crime against humanity. At the same time, this nation expressly permits the voluntary bodily modification of consenting adults, again regardless of gender, although we are aware that many women in many nations are often coerced into having their genitals mutilated, and that these women require special protection. As such, this repeal has our unwavering SUPPORT.
I appreciate your support.

Herzegovenia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Herzegovenia » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:46 am

New Bremerton wrote:OOC: I see that Permit Male Circumcision is apparently a compromise resolution. May I ask what you guys were arguing about when the original resolution was at vote? My nation wasn't around at the time.

*the General-Secretary claps* “Very well said! I couldn’t have put it better!”

The Civitas Islands
Attaché

Founded: Sep 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Civitas Islands » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:54 am

It should not be up to the World Assembly whether member nations should have to allow this practice.

We support this repeal.
[i]Senator William Hammond, HCIL
Confederation of Corrupt Dictators

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:11 pm

"Male and female circumcision are inherently different. The latter, after all, never intentionally includes the removal of the glans while it is a fact that almost all instances of female circumcision removes the clitoris. You are approaching the topic from an inherently biased perspective. For the record niether myself nor many of our administration have a particular issue with the removal of the clitoral hood, that is of course subject to wether said removal has practically no effect and a similar low risk rate in comparison to male circumcision."

The Civitas Islands wrote:It should not be up to the World Assembly whether member nations should have to allow this practice.

We support this repeal.

"The World Assembly clearly has a role in protecting individual and religious rights from national governments, perhaps you believe that all legislation to that effect should be repealed as well?"

OOC: Trying not to spend too much time here right now. I will look at it in more depth after my exam.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Arasi Luvasa wrote:

"Male and female circumcision are inherently different. The latter, after all, never intentionally includes the removal of the glans while it is a fact that almost all instances of female circumcision removes the clitoris. You are approaching the topic from an inherently biased perspective. For the record niether myself nor many of our administration have a particular issue with the removal of the clitoral hood, that is of course subject to wether said removal has practically no effect and a similar low risk rate in comparison to male circumcision."

While a clitorectomy would be the female equivalent of surgical castration for men and boys, we still object to the lesser forms of circumcision for both sexes that you just mentioned. While removing just the glans or clitoral hood is far less serious than full-blown castration of the entire penis or clitoris, it is still an excruciatingly painful and traumatic experience for a child to have to endure, with irreversible physical consequences and no consent given. We consider the circumcision of children, however minor the operation and regardless of gender, to be a form of child abuse to be banned and resisted at all costs.

OOC: Having watched the documentary film The Red Pill, I can tell you that male circumcision really is that traumatic. A clip from the film features disturbing audio and blurred footage of an infant boy screaming in unbearable agony while undergoing a circumcision, hence my strong and unwavering IC position and the need to clarify my views OOCly. Blood can clearly be seen despite the blurring. That documentary, and especially that single clip, woke me up to men's issues more than any other. The "doctor" who performed that particular circumcision and others like him are evil psychos who deserve to be locked up for a very long time, especially if such vile abuse is committed in the name of culture or religion. There is no trivializing the issue here. Male circumcision, however minor the operation, is child abuse and must be outlawed worldwide. Plain and simple.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Palsada
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Palsada » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:16 am

New Bremerton wrote:
Arasi Luvasa wrote:

While a clitorectomy would be the female equivalent of surgical castration for men and boys, we still object to the lesser forms of circumcision for both sexes that you just mentioned. While removing just the glans or clitoral hood is far less serious than full-blown castration of the entire penis or clitoris, it is still an excruciatingly painful and traumatic experience for a child to have to endure, with irreversible physical consequences and no consent given. We consider the circumcision of children, however minor the operation and regardless of gender, to be a form of child abuse to be banned and resisted at all costs.

OOC: Having watched the documentary film The Red Pill, I can tell you that male circumcision really is that traumatic. A clip from the film features disturbing audio and blurred footage of an infant boy screaming in unbearable agony while undergoing a circumcision, hence my strong and unwavering IC position and the need to clarify my views OOCly. Blood can clearly be seen despite the blurring. That documentary, and especially that single clip, woke me up to men's issues more than any other. The "doctor" who performed that particular circumcision and others like him are evil psychos who deserve to be locked up for a very long time, especially if such vile abuse is committed in the name of culture or religion. There is no trivializing the issue here. Male circumcision, however minor the operation, is child abuse and must be outlawed worldwide. Plain and simple.
on that, I do not agree.

It needs not to be banned worldwide.

It should be up to every nation to decide whether or not the risks outweight the benefits of it.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:15 am

Palsada wrote:on that, I do not agree.

It needs not to be banned worldwide.

It should be up to every nation to decide whether or not the risks outweight the benefits of it.

Again, that is not enough reason for an appeal.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:41 am

OOC
GA Resolution #141 allows member nations so much freedom in their decisions about how to regulate the practice that the aim of this repeal's "AFFIRMING" clause is effectively already met.
Therefore, 'Honest Mistake'.
Therefore, Illegal. [one-sixth of GenSec]
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:57 am

it is still an excruciatingly painful and traumatic experience for a child to have to endure,

"From what I have heard, infant circumcision rarely is as bad as you have described. Also the patriarch would disagree, he has had some issues that would be fixed with a circumcision but which he refuses to go through as he does not want to actively experience either pain or the resulting humiliation from going pantless for a few days or weeks."

OOC:
Having watched the documentary film The Red Pill, I can tell you that male circumcision really is that traumatic. A clip from the film features disturbing audio and blurred footage of an infant boy screaming in unbearable agony while undergoing a circumcision

I had gone and looked this up before, and you seem to be making one very notable error. A baby crying is not always because they are in pain. Some doctors have noted that once you strap the child down and let them calm down from the crying, they will not have the visceral reaction you have described to the actual circumcision. Older individuals will however actually face active consequences from a circumcision. I have an issue that leads to the formation of pus, this would be solved with a circumcision but I have no desire to be without pants for more than a minute at a time. I would far have preferred if I were given a circumcision as a baby, where I would not have remembered anything at all, and evidence suggests that I would not even know the difference. Also evidence suggests that being circumcised later in life leads to a loss of sensation, there is no such evidence for those circumcised as infants. One man circumcised as an infant even says he could not imagine being more sensitive...

Xanthal
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2005

Postby Xanthal » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Religious and cosmetic body modification is not something I or my government generally endorse, but I do regard it as a matter of individual freedom. It's also worth noting that the target resolution doesn't oblige members to permit the practice on minors, or without informed consent, which would appear to nullify the primary criticisms being leveled against it.
Technology Tier: 9
Arcane Level: 4
Influence Type: 8

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 pm

OOC: I've marked this illegal on account of the believing clause which makes an argument against "forcing WA nations to allow unnecessary medical procedures ...". The target in it's OBLIGES clause explicitly sets out the right of nations to regulate the practice of circumcision. This right to regulate the practice would allow nations to prohibit medically unnecessary circumcisions if they wish. In fact, the right to regulate would allow nations to effectively completely prohibit circumcisions through extremely onerous regulations if they so wish.
Last edited by Bananaistan on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Palsada
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Palsada » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: I've marked this illegal on account of the believing clause which makes against "forcing WA nations to allow unnecessary medical procedures ...". The target in it's OBLIGES clause explicitly sets out the right of nations to regulate the practice of circumcision. This right to regulate the practice would allow nations to prohibit medically unnecessary circumcisions if they wish. In fact, the right to regulate would allow nations to effectively completely prohibit circumcisions through extremely onerous regulations if they so wish.

Just so I understand correctly, this legislation sets out to permit male circumcision but at the same time allows it to be regulated out of existence?

That obigles clause, in my humble opinion, is left rather ambiguous. If that is the case I shall reword my legislation as such, that this legislation is so vague that it leaves the issue of male circumcision in a state of legal limbo.

I appreciate your insight into the matter, and will make the necessary corrections.
Last edited by Palsada on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:25 pm

OOC: The present resolution does allow one to regulate it out of existence as desired, just so long as it is still technically legal.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly