NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Voting Opportunities for Prisoners

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
User avatar
Calsolato
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 7
Founded: Oct 17, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

[DRAFT] Voting Opportunities for Prisoners

Postby Calsolato » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:37 am

Here is a General Assembly Proposition, tell me what you think of it.

The World Assembly,

The Opportunity and right to vote for a prisoner shall not be infringed upon and all current prisoners shall have the chance to vote.

The rights and restrictions to voting for prisoners shall be the same as any other citizen in regards to times and requirements such as age and citizenship status.

The definition and the qualifications to be considered a prisoner is:

a person legally held in a government or private facility/prison as a punishment for the crimes they have committed or while awaiting a trial.

Be it enacted by the world assembly as follows:

1. All prisoners rights to vote shall not be infringed upon while being detained in a government facility or private prison.

2. Each prisoner shall get to cast a ballot inside of a prison and all ballots shall be taken to an election center where the ballots shall be cast.

3. The time in which ballots are cast must be the same for prisoners as regular citizens.

4. A prisoner shall have the right to vote no matter what crime they have committed.
Last edited by Calsolato on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.

User avatar
Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20630
Founded: Jan 30, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:04 am

"Very interesting. I must point out that clauses one and four seem to contradict one another. Also, definitions traditionally come before any active mandates."
THERE IS NO WAR IN BA SING SE
grestin went through the MKULTRA program and he has more of a free will than wallenburg does - Imperial Idaho
Minister of World Assembly Affairs for The East Pacific

User avatar
Kenmoria
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5877
Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:39 am

“This doesn’t have any particular errors with regards to conforming with the rules of this assembly, but I find the content rather misguided. For example, with someone convicted of voting fraud or an extremely serious crime like mass murder, suffrage would most likely not be appropriate. There is also the fact that this appears rather restrictive on democracies, which seems hypocritical where there dictatorships in the WA.”
A representative democracy with a parliament of 535 seats
Kenmoria is Laissez-Faire on economy but centre-left on social issues
Located in Europe and border France to the right and Spain below
NS stats and policies are not canon, use the factbooks
Not in the WA despite coincidentally following nearly all resolutions
This is due to a problem with how the WA contradicts democracy
However we do have a WA mission and often participate in drafting
Current ambassador: James Lewitt

For more information, read the factbooks here.

User avatar
Calsolato
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 7
Founded: Oct 17, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Calsolato » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:18 pm

Wallenburg wrote:"Very interesting. I must point out that clauses one and four seem to contradict one another. Also, definitions traditionally come before any active mandates."

Fixed

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 15089
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:23 pm

"Opposed. Criminals serving sentences are deprived of certain rights, sometimes out of necessity and other times as part of the punitive experience. In the C.D.S.P., prisoners are temporarily disenfranchised for the duration of their incarceration. For a politically active population, this is no small punishment. We oppose an attempt to reverse this policy."

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

User avatar
Kowani
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20933
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:00 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Opposed. Criminals serving sentences are deprived of certain rights, sometimes out of necessity and other times as part of the punitive experience. In the C.D.S.P., prisoners are temporarily disenfranchised for the duration of their incarceration. For a politically active population, this is no small punishment. We oppose an attempt to reverse this policy."

"May I remind you that certain...barbarian wastes have imprisonment for petty things like Jaywalking."

"What your bill needs are a list of crimes that can result in suffrage being lost and prohibiting it for everything else.
Spanish Atheist.
If an area was ours for 500 years and yours for 50 years, it should belong to us – you are merely occupiers.
If an area was yours for 500 years and ours for 50 years, it should belong to us – borders must not be changed.
If an area belonged to us 500 years ago but never since then, it should belong to us – it is the cradle of our nation.
If a majority of our people live there, it must belong to us – they must enjoy the right of self-determination.
If a minority of our people live there, it must belong to us – they must be protected against your oppression.
All of the above rules apply to us, but not to you.
Our dream of greatness is historical necessity, yours is fascism.

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 15089
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:31 am

Kowani wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Opposed. Criminals serving sentences are deprived of certain rights, sometimes out of necessity and other times as part of the punitive experience. In the C.D.S.P., prisoners are temporarily disenfranchised for the duration of their incarceration. For a politically active population, this is no small punishment. We oppose an attempt to reverse this policy."

"May I remind you that certain...barbarian wastes have imprisonment for petty things like Jaywalking."

"What your bill needs are a list of crimes that can result in suffrage being lost and prohibiting it for everything else.

"Any government who seeks power by imprisoning voters has larger problems than this draft, ambassador."

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

User avatar
Araraukar
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14827
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:51 am

"Is the author aware that not all member nations have elections and voting, or at least not ones that anyone but the chosen councilors or committee members was eligible to vote in?"
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Coronavirus related. This too. And this. These are all jokes. This isn't. This is, again, but it's also the last one.

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6945
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:51 am

I oppose this. Murderers in prison for example shouldn't have the right to vote, and it opens up the possibility of a politician offering amnesty in exchange for votes.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
China Lied, People Died.
Anti-imperialism is really code for anti-west.
Not to be confused with Novus America! We are NOT the same player.

User avatar
Caracasus
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7810
Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Caracasus » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:12 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:I oppose this. Murderers in prison for example shouldn't have the right to vote, and it opens up the possibility of a politician offering amnesty in exchange for votes.


If the number of prisoners in your nation is so large that it's likely that politicians would gain an advantage in the polls by offering amnesties then your nation is fucked far beyond what a WA resolution could do.

The major pitfall when it comes to prisoner voting really comes from the fact that prisoners are often imprisoned in different towns or counties to the ones they live in. Where would the prisoner cast their vote? For a represntative from their home or for one from where they are imprisoned?
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!



Issues editor, not a moderator.

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6945
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:41 am

Caracasus wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:I oppose this. Murderers in prison for example shouldn't have the right to vote, and it opens up the possibility of a politician offering amnesty in exchange for votes.


If the number of prisoners in your nation is so large that it's likely that politicians would gain an advantage in the polls by offering amnesties then your nation is fucked far beyond what a WA resolution could do.

The major pitfall when it comes to prisoner voting really comes from the fact that prisoners are often imprisoned in different towns or counties to the ones they live in. Where would the prisoner cast their vote? For a represntative from their home or for one from where they are imprisoned?

Prisoners can influence small local elections, especially if a prison is located in a very rural area. That being said, I primarily oppose this for punishment reasons. People who committed a major crime shouldn't get to vote until their prison term is up. Assuming that prisoners get to vote though, they should only get to vote for politicians running in their hometown, not where the prison happens to be.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
China Lied, People Died.
Anti-imperialism is really code for anti-west.
Not to be confused with Novus America! We are NOT the same player.

User avatar
Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1033
Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:38 am

Support

User avatar
Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 389
Founded: May 27, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liberimery » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:32 pm

We will oppose this as well. As a Direct Democracy, the votes of the incarcerated can do much more damage to our own communities than merely possiblely Gerrymander some districts.

User avatar
Marxist Germany
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1877
Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Corporate Bordello

Postby Marxist Germany » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Kowani wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Opposed. Criminals serving sentences are deprived of certain rights, sometimes out of necessity and other times as part of the punitive experience. In the C.D.S.P., prisoners are temporarily disenfranchised for the duration of their incarceration. For a politically active population, this is no small punishment. We oppose an attempt to reverse this policy."

"May I remind you that certain...barbarian wastes have imprisonment for petty things like Jaywalking."

"What your bill needs are a list of crimes that can result in suffrage being lost and prohibiting it for everything else.

I agree
Country represents RL views mostly. Not Marxist anymore.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Ex-delegate of The United Federations; citizen of 10000 Islands | Gaming User#0721(Discord)
RP name: Germany
The National Factbook (WIP)
Ambassador Klaus Schmidt
Political Compass
PolitiStates Result
Pro:Laissez-faire, Cultural Nationalism, Guns, Free speech, Christianity, Same-sex marriage, United Ireland.
Anti:Extreme Progressivism, Abortion, Socialism, Interventionism, Mass-migration.
A high school student aged 15 from Ireland, living in Co. Dublin. Interested in politics, gaming, and history.


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Vidhayan

Advertisement

Remove ads