NATION

PASSWORD

Space Opera Setting RP (Interest?, Good Idea?)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

What Format?

Single Faction, Players vote what happens next
17%
Single Faction, Players play as different parts of same Star Nation.
50%
Multiple Factions.
33%

Total votes : 6

Vadia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Space Opera Setting RP (Interest?, Good Idea?)

Postby Vadia » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Second or Third Space Opera RP on NS.

I had some fairly approachable, mapbased Space Opera RPs on here, good FT stuff. The issue was getting players that didn't fight each other OOC or fight me, so after that went on for awhile, I let it die or dropped it.

I started up a very minimalist version of that, where players voted on their faction, then voted on who the leader was and each choice he made. The format was pretty simple and approachable, it went places, a lot of cool outcomes from dice happened, but people lost interest because like 4 40K "civs" went up and my "civ" had to compete with that.

Minimal Choose Your Own RP.

I liked this format because players didn't fight each other and because there was random, random in what the group wanted, random from dice rolls. It was pretty interesting and fun.

So I was wondering, would this have any appeal here? Perhaps for people who only want to RP a tiny bit? What about people who are new to Future Tech or serious RP?
Last edited by Vadia on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The fastest way to make absolutely sure that a point is bad, is to pretend to argue for it to people that are against it.

""Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening""

This is also my NPC account.

The Orion Islands
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:59 pm

May be in.
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Proud Catholic Republican
Supporter of Israel, NATO, Christianity, capitalism, and conservatism.
Member of ICDN

Vadia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:06 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:May be in.

Questions? Concerns?
The fastest way to make absolutely sure that a point is bad, is to pretend to argue for it to people that are against it.

Vadia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Would changing this to a standard space opera RP where more than one faction are controlled by players, be more interesting?

The voting thing is just to maximize fun and minimize work. I work a lot.

The Sol System And Extra Solar Colonies
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sol System And Extra Solar Colonies » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:50 pm

Im interested, what kinds of things were you thinking about for the universe?

Vadia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:27 pm

The Sol System And Extra Solar Colonies wrote:Im interested, what kinds of things were you thinking about for the universe?

I always ran the setting inside "Greater NS FT" Galaxy, specifically Beta Quadrant.

Map

The area that isn't tan-ish, is "The Sector" and the area that is tanish is "The Mists". Both are very isolated from the rest of the galaxy, but both have an unnaturally high number of wormholes. The area was also controlled by four "Star Nations" who are now dead, and then by a handful of Star Nations, who are again..dead..

Lots happen in less than 35 years.

I use a fairly grounded timeline for tech from Traveller, and have a very understandable system for setting up factions or anything like that. It's kinda like Minecraft in that it's easy to learn, but easy to modify or add complexity too.

You got any specific questions? I'm kinda rambling.

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sol System And Extra Solar Colonies » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Vadia wrote:
The Sol System And Extra Solar Colonies wrote:Im interested, what kinds of things were you thinking about for the universe?

I always ran the setting inside "Greater NS FT" Galaxy, specifically Beta Quadrant.

Map

The area that isn't tan-ish, is "The Sector" and the area that is tanish is "The Mists". Both are very isolated from the rest of the galaxy, but both have an unnaturally high number of wormholes. The area was also controlled by four "Star Nations" who are now dead, and then by a handful of Star Nations, who are again..dead..

I use a fairly grounded timeline for tech from Traveller, and have a very understandable system for setting up factions or anything like that. It's kinda like Minecraft in that it's easy to learn, but easy to modify or add complexity too.

Not much, that all seems pretty straightforward to me.

However, though I know what Traveller is, Im not all the familiar with how it functions, so I would probably need some help in that regard.

Vadia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:40 pm

The Sol System And Extra Solar Colonies wrote:
Vadia wrote:

Map

Not much, that all seems pretty straightforward to me.

However, though I know what Traveller is, Im not all the familiar with how it functions, so I would probably need some help in that regard.

I just use the tech level comparassion sheet.

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:43 pm

I take it we're using wormholes as our means of travelling? Will the players be in only one faction/people living in said faction, or will multiple nations go head to head?
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Vadia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:35 pm

Danceria wrote:I take it we're using wormholes as our means of travelling? Will the players be in only one faction/people living in said faction, or will multiple nations go head to head?

If the players are part of the same faction or not is entirely based on what the group wants. I like to keep this simple, but if people want to run seperate factions or parts of the same, that's what will happen.

Wormholes are for getting into or out of "The Sector", "jump-gates", "hyper drives", and "warp drives" are for going faster then the speed of light.

The Orion Islands
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Islands » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:10 pm

Can you link the tech chart?
DESANTIS/PENCE 2024
Proud Catholic Republican
Supporter of Israel, NATO, Christianity, capitalism, and conservatism.
Member of ICDN

Vadia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:48 pm

The Orion Islands wrote:Can you link the tech chart?

Here is the link.

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sol System And Extra Solar Colonies » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:02 pm

So for the poll, what does one faction mean? Does it mean that we are all separate groups and nations, but allied? Or does it mean we are all the same nation and are just different groups within that nation?

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:24 pm

The Sol System And Extra Solar Colonies wrote:So for the poll, what does one faction mean? Does it mean that we are all separate groups and nations, but allied? Or does it mean we are all the same nation and are just different groups within that nation?

I posited that it would just be a bunch of normal people (us the players) running around in one nation before it splinters off into different ones.
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Vadia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:44 pm

The Sol System And Extra Solar Colonies wrote:So for the poll, what does one faction mean? Does it mean that we are all separate groups and nations, but allied? Or does it mean we are all the same nation and are just different groups within that nation?

Poll adjusted.

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sol System And Extra Solar Colonies » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Vadia wrote:

Poll adjusted.

OK, so, considering that we are playing as different parts of the same Star Nation (possibly at least) I would recommend trying to set up some sort of world building thread, so that we can all shoot ideas off each other and put together different aspects of this universe.

Vadia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:26 pm

The Sol System And Extra Solar Colonies wrote:
Vadia wrote:
Poll adjusted.

OK, so, considering that we are playing as different parts of the same Star Nation (possibly at least) I would recommend trying to set up some sort of world building thread, so that we can all shoot ideas off each other and put together different aspects of this universe.

The past is fixed, where you go from there is not.

Vadia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:30 pm

The new thread is up. It's here.

Seemed everyone wanted to be parts of the same faction, so there you go. I hope that the two factions that are mostly blank and the one powerful faction that is interesting but mostly laid out; are exactly what you need.

I know the lore seems a bit long, but it's all important and it gives a very strong feeling what the area is like. There are two layers of ruins and memories in what was such a rich area.
Last edited by Vadia on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents