NATION

PASSWORD

Meritocracy

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Meritocracy

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Do you think meritocracies are good in NS ? If you hang long enough a region or player claims or endorses the praise of meritocracy. That if you put in effort you can become someone important or valuable. But is this true or garbage? Cause if you think about it someone who builds all that effort for a position only to lose interest, do something wrong or misplacing the importance of his efforts and time can make that feel not worthwhile.
Last edited by Cosmopolitan borovan on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Given that the NPO hasn't been overthrown yet... ;)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Cossack Khanate
Diplomat

Founded: May 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cossack Khanate » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:15 pm

I think meritocracy is a great thing in general but big regions in NS have to be cutthroat. There are many guys waiting to fill an official’s spot. And although I like your thinking, use grammar and capitalization next time. It makes you sound more official, trustworthy, and intelligent.
The Holy Decreeist Empire of Cossack Khanate
We don’t use NS Stats, to do so would be ridiculous. You also can’t check my factbooks...because they are in Google Docs. Tee hee
Council of Free Market Economies ,ReArk Armaments (WIP)
A proud member of the regions Cornellia (IC) and Farkasfalka (OOC).
Proud Monarch of the ♔♚IMPERION COALITION♚♔
Me in not so much of nutshell: The Nutshell

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Cosmopolitan borovan wrote:Do u think meritocracies r good in NS if u hang long enough a region or player claims or endorses the praise of meritocracy. That if u put in effort u can become someone important or valuable. But is this true or garbage. Cause if u think about it someone who builds all that effort for a position only to lose interest do something wrong or misplacing the importance of his efforts is sorely wrong.

This is hard to understand. Use proper grammar. Also, your opening post is a bit thin too.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:22 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Cosmopolitan borovan wrote:Do u think meritocracies r good in NS if u hang long enough a region or player claims or endorses the praise of meritocracy. That if u put in effort u can become someone important or valuable. But is this true or garbage. Cause if u think about it someone who builds all that effort for a position only to lose interest do something wrong or misplacing the importance of his efforts is sorely wrong.

This is hard to understand. Use proper grammar. Also, your opening post is a bit thin too.

Made minor edits but I dunno what to add, maybe examples of both real life and NS.
Last edited by Cosmopolitan borovan on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:26 pm

Cosmopolitan borovan wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:This is hard to understand. Use proper grammar. Also, your opening post is a bit thin too.

Made minor edits but I dunno what to add,

You can add examples of NS meritocracies such as The Pacific and The West Pacific. Either way, thank you for revising your OP; It is now a lot easier to understand.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nova Colombian Confederation
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Colombian Confederation » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:43 pm

(frick, my bad, i thought i was in NSG)
Last edited by Nova Colombian Confederation on Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nova Colombian Confederation

OH SHIT, IT'S ON!

Yo, it's me, -United Republic of Freedonia!. I got bored of that nation, i'm still keeping it active tho.
Btw, note that this nation is (mostly) based on my political views, but are taken with a wacky perspective and some things that NCC does are questionable. So don't take this nation seriously.
add 1492 posts
English is poop, help if mistake on dispatch or post.
So many layers of irony, that i think my skin can't breathe
hi im cringe
>wO

Wabbitslayah
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 19, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Wabbitslayah » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Nova Colombian Confederation wrote:With all the stuff that happend on these two decades, i predict that Meritocratic elements are going to be a big thing in the governments of the future. While it sounds good, i'm skeptical and i think there's a possibility of aristocracy developing.

You can't really not have oligarchies of sorts not form. Even TRR where it's extremely direct democratic technically has one. UCRs may or may not depending on certain factors. If the founder is very authoritarian then you have more or less yes men. If the founder isn't much an issue in authority, then you may have heavy factionalization because one group failed to gain enough control and influence.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Cosmopolitan borovan wrote:Do you think meritocracies are good in NS ? If you hang long enough a region or player claims or endorses the praise of meritocracy. That if you put in effort you can become someone important or valuable. But is this true or garbage?

This is true if the meritocracy isn't just a veneer for blatant oligarchy with no real hope for advancement.
By the Holy Flaming Hammer of Unholy Cosmic Frost
I will voyage 'cross the Multiverse to fight for what was lost!
From this realm of nuclear chaos, to a world beyond the stars
I will quest forever onwards, so far;
I will wield the Holy Hammer of Flame!
Unholy cosmic frost!

Ecce Princeps Dundonensis Imperator Ascendit In Astra Eterna!

Sancta Romana Ecclesia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sancta Romana Ecclesia » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:19 am

It probably depends on the individual that decides whether someone has enough "merit" for the position. The problem with meritocracy is that it can easily turn government into a hermetic circle of self-adoration.
Paulus Asteorra

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:25 am

What is a meritocracy?

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Cossack Khanate wrote:I think meritocracy is a great thing in general but big regions in NS have to be cutthroat. There are many guys waiting to fill an official’s spot. And although I like your thinking, use grammar and capitalization next time. It makes you sound more official, trustworthy, and intelligent.

One solution to this is to has a variable number of positions depending on the number of jobs that need doing and the number of people with the ability and desire to do them. Only way to run out of position in that scenario is if the region runs out of literally runs out of things that can be done to improve the region, in which case; congratulations, you just won region building.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Erithaca
Envoy

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:01 am

Tinhampton wrote:Given that the NPO hasn't been overthrown yet... ;)

Are they actually meritocratic or just one of SRE's circles of self-adoration?

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:22 am

Erithaca wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:Given that the NPO hasn't been overthrown yet... ;)

Are they actually meritocratic or just one of SRE's circles of self-adoration?

They are indeed at least somewhat meritocratic, though they're opaque as heck though so you're going to need one of them to see this thread and wander over over a full answer.

Jar Wattinree
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Jar Wattinree » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Erithaca wrote:Are they actually meritocratic or just one of SRE's circles of self-adoration?

They are indeed at least somewhat meritocratic, though they're opaque as heck though so you're going to need one of them to see this thread and wander over over a full answer.

The definition of meritocracy1 is likely as close as you'll get as a proper answer from the NPO, since we adhere to it to a T:
government or the holding of power by people selected on the basis of their ability.
  • a society governed by meritocracy.
  • a ruling or influential class of educated or skilled people.

1Insofar as meritocracy applies to NationStates, it can be different in other games.
By the Holy Flaming Hammer of Unholy Cosmic Frost
I will voyage 'cross the Multiverse to fight for what was lost!
From this realm of nuclear chaos, to a world beyond the stars
I will quest forever onwards, so far;
I will wield the Holy Hammer of Flame!
Unholy cosmic frost!

Ecce Princeps Dundonensis Imperator Ascendit In Astra Eterna!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay