NATION

PASSWORD

Glitch in census records caused by DST

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
August
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Glitch in census records caused by DST

Postby August » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Every time Daylight Savings Time ends in the US, every census record in the world (regional populations, nation statistics, etc) hiccups. For an example of what I am talking about, look at my population trend and zoom in on the first week in November 2016 or 2017. Every data point year-round is timestamped 03:00 until the Sunday when DST ends, where the timestamp is 02:00. The next data point has the same value, and the timestamp is 02:00 Monday. The next data point is normal, showing the increased population and a timestamp of 03:00 Monday. This hiccup creates an easily-visible flatline followed by a sharp jump. My guess is that the server runs the region update on schedule at 0330 EDT*, then the server time goes back one hour and the update runs again at 0330 EST, generating an unnecessary data point. The next day, the server corrects itself.

With the end of DST coming up in a couple weeks, would it be possible to fix this, and maybe remove the glitched data points from the existing records? It screws up my automatic data collection.

*Not the nation update, which runs from 0000 to 0100 Eastern. The "region update" is my term for the point where region averages and rankings are recalculated. I have observed this taking place at various times between 0330 and 0335 Eastern.
Last edited by August on Sat May 16, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

My Projects: AugustinAndroid (Server) | Augustin Alliance (Server) | NS Leaders (Server) | Tech suggestions | About me
I heard it was you / talkin' 'bout a world where all is free / it just couldn't be / and only a fool would say that...

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:55 pm

August wrote:With the end of DST coming up in a couple weeks, would it be possible to fix this,

Your timing, in a word, sucks. If you'd posted this last week, we might have had a shot at it.

My understanding is that [violet] is tied up with other stuff for the next couple of weeks. Eluvatar may be able to look at this, but he's got other demands on his time too. This post is simply to acknowledge that somebody saw it, and apologizing in advance if we can't fix it.

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:39 am

Pretty sure this impacts everyone. I've checked my own population and the same thing appears (November 7th 2017)
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

All Wild Things
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby All Wild Things » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:07 am

Does that mean that Gameplay has a fun feature where a region could be raided, then liberated an hour later?
Browse The NewsStand
Watch the Wild Life

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:36 am

All Wild Things wrote:Does that mean that Gameplay has a fun feature where a region could be raided, then liberated an hour later?

No
Frisbeeteria wrote:
August wrote:With the end of DST coming up in a couple weeks, would it be possible to fix this,

Your timing, in a word, sucks. If you'd posted this last week, we might have had a shot at it.

My understanding is that [violet] is tied up with other stuff for the next couple of weeks. Eluvatar may be able to look at this, but he's got other demands on his time too. This post is simply to acknowledge that somebody saw it, and apologizing in advance if we can't fix it.

Fris is correct about availability.

This might be preventable with minimal effort, and I should have some free time between November 1st and 4th, but I will make no promises.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

August
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby August » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:11 pm

This appears to have happened again last month. I hope my timing is better this time--it will be eleven months before it happens again.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

My Projects: AugustinAndroid (Server) | Augustin Alliance (Server) | NS Leaders (Server) | Tech suggestions | About me
I heard it was you / talkin' 'bout a world where all is free / it just couldn't be / and only a fool would say that...

Return to Technical