NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Legions of Levies

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Knessniet
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Legions of Levies

Postby Knessniet » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:34 pm

It may have been a little early, but I submitted it. I like it in it's current form, and I dealt with the apparent flaws of the first version.

Legion of Levies
Perquisites: Must have feudalism.

Description:
After an incident where the lords of your border counties launched small-scale invasions of neighboring nations for sport, the lords and peasants of @@NATION@@ have petitioned you about the rights of lords to raise the feudal levies of their holdings. In other words, can lords order mass conscription of peasants into militias headed by the lord?

Option 1:
"My liege, as the rightful lord of my land, I have the right to raise the levy as I please!", the bellicose lord of the border counties demands. "After all, your highness, Maxtopia has a lot of land right next to me that would be much better in our hands!"
Result: The border counties seem to be in the center of the nation now.

Option 2:
"Can't you consider us, the poor commoners?", asks a particularly persistent peasant, "Truly, my lord. The burden levies have on the community is too much! Make the lords hire soldiers instead of forcing us peasants to fight their wars!"
Result: Lords go bankrupt from paying salaries to mercenaries.

Option 3: (Requires Theocracy)
"Well now, my most pious leige, perhaps a compromise can be reached.", states the zealous Bishop of @@CAPITAL@@, "If the levies were under church control, we wouldn't have to worry about lords abusing them! Besides, they would then be ready for the next holy war!"
Result: @@DENONYM@@ peasants have been spotted claiming holy sites for the true faith.

Option 4:
"Why do they even need levies? Isn't that what the national army is for?", asks prominent peasant's rights activist @@RANDOMNAME@@, "You know what? Just get rid of the whole feudal system! It's highly outdated, and I'm sure that the people would appreciate it!"
Result: Formerly conscripted peasants have been reported to use their combat training on their former lords in anger.

All input would be kindly appreciated. This is my first attempt at writing an issue, so I hope it goes well!

DRAFT #2 Changelog:
- Added a situation that causes the use of levies to be questioned.
- Changed the tone of the lords to be more respectful to their liege (The player/leader).
Legin of Levies
Perquisites: Must have feudalism.

Description:
The lords and peasants of @@NATION@@ have petitioned you about the rights of lords to raise the feudal levies of their holdings. In other words, can lords order mass conscription of peasants into militias headed by the lord?

Option 1:
"As the rightful lord of my land, I have the right to raise the levy as I please!", the bellicose lord of the border counties demands. "After all, Maxtopia has a lot of land right next to me that would be much better in our hands!"
Result: The border counties seem to be in the center of the nation now.

Option 2:
"Can't you consider us, the poor commoners?", asks a particularly persistent peasant, "Truly, my lord. The burden levies have on the community is too much! Make the lords hire soldiers instead of forcing us peasants to fight their wars!"
Result: Lords go bankrupt from paying salaries to mercenaries.

Option 3: (Requires Theocracy)
"Well now, perhaps a compromise can be reached.", states the zealous Bishop of @@CAPITAL@@, "If the levies were under church control, we wouldn't have to worry about lords abusing them! Besides, they would then be ready for the next holy war!"
Result: @@DENONYM@@ peasants have been spotted claiming holy sites for the true faith.

Option 4:
"Why do they even need levies? Isn't that what the national army is for?", asks prominent peasant's rights activist @@RANDOMNAME@@, "You know what? Just get rid of the whole feudal system! It's highly outdated, and I'm sure that the people would appreciate it!"
Result: Formerly conscripted peasants have been reported to use their combat training on their former lords in anger.
Last edited by Knessniet on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:12 am, edited 8 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:53 pm

You might want to be a little clearer about what a levy is. I know, but as it's an outdated concept not relevant to modern politics (conscription is similar, but rarely gets called levies), it might not be immediately obvious to everyone.

Options 1 and 2 seem redundant. The main point is whether feudal lords have the right to autonomously raise armies from their fiefs, not about which type of army you need more. If lords have the right to raise levies, then presumably different lords would prioritize different military compositions, but that's their business.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Trotterdam wrote:You might want to be a little clearer about what a levy is. I know, but as it's an outdated concept not relevant to modern politics (conscription is similar, but rarely gets called levies), it might not be immediately obvious to everyone.

Options 1 and 2 seem redundant. The main point is whether feudal lords have the right to autonomously raise armies from their fiefs, not about which type of army you need more. If lords have the right to raise levies, then presumably different lords would prioritize different military compositions, but that's their business.

I suppose you're right about options 1 and 2. I'll consolidate them. I'll also see how I could work a definition of levy into it. Check back soon.

Edited.
Last edited by Knessniet on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:52 am

My feeling is that the premise lacks immediacy: we need some narrative framing to explain why this has become an issue now. Why has the petition emerged at this time?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:25 am

You really do need an impetus for why levies are being raised. Also, if feudalism is indeed active, the player is still the leader of the nation. So your feudal lords should be speaking as such to their overlord instead as if they are speaking to a contemporary.

Basically, the Duke of Normandy is speaking to the King of France as if the King of France was the Duke of Brittany. Just a thought.
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:55 am

I took into account your suggestions. Kindly reread the new draft, and tell me what you think.
Last edited by Knessniet on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:56 am

Knessniet wrote:After an incident where the lords of your border counties launched small-scale invasions of neighboring nations for sport,
How did they do this if they don't already have the ability to raise levies?

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Knessniet wrote:After an incident where the lords of your border counties launched small-scale invasions of neighboring nations for sport,
How did they do this if they don't already have the ability to raise levies?

I would expect them to have the right, this just causes it to become controversial. Perhaps I should add conscription as a requirement?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Why can't they just conscript their slaves?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Knessniet
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Knessniet » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Why can't they just conscript their slaves?

Serf is the proper term. This issue is deciding whether they can or not.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?