NATION

PASSWORD

The Wizard's political problem

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:08 am

I would follow the style of impregnable hill fortresses backed by magic with a promise of eternal bliss for those who joined us. A combination of magic, religion, philosophy, and craziness. I would even summon virgins and other crazy things. There would be rewards. As far as enemies. A long dagger, a fanatic charmed follower, djinn and winged monkeys and some magic can go far.

Yagon
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Yagon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Yagon wrote:To work together at scale, the wizard must live in a society that provides food, clothing, etc.

These are lame-ass wizards. They've been messing around with magic for thousands of years, and never had the sense to use it to take care of themselves. Whatta buncha morons!

Oh...

You mean scientists! Silly Yagon! There's much more to science than physics. Hell, even most physicists can't do anything useful out of their narrow specialties; there's too much to learn in any one to make a difference in another. So, what do you expect us to do other than point out the problem? We can't just wave our hands and chant arcane words and make it go away. :P

*waggles fingers* ΔU = Q - W! δQ = TdS...

Always the defeatists. If you believe you can't help, you won't.

I'm not sure anywhere that I said all science was physics, I may have mentioned a number of other disciplines, but it would require reading to know. :P

There may be some with more creative minds that might go beyond the hand-waving. The arcane words have a place. A good place.

The call need not be heeded by all, but by enough.

Yagon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yagon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
I do like coke off of a hookers butt. The fun though is not just the feeling, but the doing

It's funny, end of the day between the two of us, you are the optimist.

I hope it's not the end of the day and I'm wrong, that the need is not so great.

If I'm right and there's a chance, maybe some will hear it.

The cats will survive, doubtless.

Yagon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yagon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Yagon wrote:And yes, rutting moose. But with properly managed technology with some philosophical care, you take away gas cars and give electric cars. You arrive at reasonable rules for their use. We decide to preserve much of what is left of the Earth. We build something like Elysium, or other things. We allow diversity. We coexist. Nobody has anything implanted they don't want. A machine provides for your metabolic needs and comfort. If you want to be independent, you are given a place on Earth suitable, perhaps with like minded neighbors, and you are left as alone or as neighborly as you like.

You can also choose to live in a virtual environment if you really don't give a fuck if its just brain signals exactly the same as coke off a hooker butt.

You better be willing to break a whole lot of eggs to make this omelette.

This is going to sound stupid, but...

We have the collaboration of beings for whom omelettes turn into eggs easily. Entropy's behavior is reversed for them. They are going to a state of being we came from. Our intersection of consciousness at a "time" and "place" will be in a sense symbiotic, and we will exchange information.

We will not meet them, we will be them, and know what they know and vice versa by exploiting various symmetries in our context of existence. They will help. Their earliest signals will emerge as ostensibly non-sensical noise in quantum operations.

I don't know why people thing I'm high when I post, I'm not.

Yagon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yagon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:18 pm

The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:
Neue-Australia wrote:I will first say that I don't think I would be stop or solve any of this worlds problems, nor do I want to. I would use magic to aid in making my a lot of money, while also gaining business connections. I would then use my new found power and wealth to take over a impoverished small nation or land that no one want. to achieve this I would try and buy the land outright and if this does not succeeded then I would simply have to it over by force, if know one wants the land and its impoverished then it will probably not have fighting force and coups are go over easier with lots of money. Once I have taken over I will bring stability to my nation by bring infrastructure and business. Using my business connections will bring work to my new nations as my nation will offer cheap labor and have less tax then other countries. I will use my power as leader of the government to fund research in my country on curing death and old age to achieve immortality. I will give my research to other countries to strengthen political ties. I will continue to invite business to set up operations in my nation further stabilizing it and introduce higher education and education in general to make my nation a leader in scientific research.

Well yeah, but ur wrong.

Out King the King's? They'll try to murder you.

Yagon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yagon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Depressingly the Great Stink of 1858 is instructive in all this..

..except by June 1858 it was affecting Parliament itself such was the utter stench.

Yes and no. The summer of 1858 was unusually hot and dry, which turned a serious nuisance into a crisis. This is how many problems are solved, politics or not. We're responding on the same basis: as people realize that, for example, hurricanes are getting more powerful because of global warming,* they're getting off their asses and pushing for a switch away from fossil fuels.

*: The general statement needs a bunch of caveats, but this is NS, not a peer-reviewed journal.

The amplitude of crisis may exceed the reaction time and rate of necessary change. I hope you're right, I do.

I'd just like to see self-constructing nanoclouds that look like Veritech Fighters descend from the sky and put a stop to all fighting with Clarkesian technology that turns Kalashnikovs into a kind of origami that will once sit in other galaxies in a Newtonian Manifestation Museum for children and Aliens who didn't grow up that way.

Yagon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yagon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:22 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:I would follow the style of impregnable hill fortresses backed by magic with a promise of eternal bliss for those who joined us. A combination of magic, religion, philosophy, and craziness. I would even summon virgins and other crazy things. There would be rewards. As far as enemies. A long dagger, a fanatic charmed follower, djinn and winged monkeys and some magic can go far.

This blending of magic, religion, philosophy, and craziness. A sample of its tenants? Other than the virgins I mean. (If you summon them, they can say no right?)

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Yagon wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:I would follow the style of impregnable hill fortresses backed by magic with a promise of eternal bliss for those who joined us. A combination of magic, religion, philosophy, and craziness. I would even summon virgins and other crazy things. There would be rewards. As far as enemies. A long dagger, a fanatic charmed follower, djinn and winged monkeys and some magic can go far.

This blending of magic, religion, philosophy, and craziness. A sample of its tenants? Other than the virgins I mean. (If you summon them, they can say no right?)

The virgins are symbolic. They are pure which makes them conduits for both good and bad magic. Vestal virgins are more magical when they are untouched. Summoning divas, undine, geishas, and fairies are better for the not so pure thoughts. It is all about the veil of the mists, the place where you won't find it unless you are ready to be enlightened, the place where you have your problems solved for a price of service. That place where Dr. Strange, Shangri-La, the Shadow, Paradise Lost, and Xanadu converge. Where the yeti roams and the white tigers guard the roads. Where you can be cured of your ills for a touch of magic. Where the winds are freezing and the hail can be the size of baseballs.

Yagon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Yagon » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:24 am

UniversalCommons wrote:
Yagon wrote:

The virgins are symbolic. They are pure which makes them conduits for both good and bad magic. Vestal virgins are more magical when they are untouched. Summoning divas, undine, geishas, and fairies are better for the not so pure thoughts. It is all about the veil of the mists, the place where you won't find it unless you are ready to be enlightened, the place where you have your problems solved for a price of service. That place where Dr. Strange, Shangri-La, the Shadow, Paradise Lost, and Xanadu converge. Where the yeti roams and the white tigers guard the roads. Where you can be cured of your ills for a touch of magic. Where the winds are freezing and the hail can be the size of baseballs.

Is everything symbolic? That offers a nice palette of many interpretations.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General