NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Unity, or Puny?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Oppermenia
Minister

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Unity, or Puny?

Postby Oppermenia » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:31 pm

[title] Unity, or Puny? (working title)
[desc] Recently, a neighboring monarchist nation of significance has expressed interest to @@NAME@@'s government in merging its nation with @@NAME@@. Although this seems promising to some, this would present problems, as this smaller nation has a different political system, culture, economic problems, and difficulty defending itself. You hold a meeting on the matter.

[option] "I think this is a wonderful idea!" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, an economic advisor. "Merging nations would give some serious economic benefit. Sure, it may make their problems our problems, but isn't that just the price for power? I say we unify our nations, for economic benefit. And while we're at it, let's unify it under a democratic republic, so our nation's new people don't feel left out."
[fallout] @@NAME@@ considers itself inclusive because it annexes other countries

[validity] must not have monarchy
[option] "That sounds good, except," begins another advisor, "this would bring up our nation's size and influence up greatly. How are we supposed to keep control of the entire country with all these new territories and citizens? That nation is a monarchy, right? What we need is a strong and absolute ruler, an absolute monarch to keep the peace! What could go wrong?"
[fallout] Statues of @@NAME@@'s most prominent historical figures are torn down to make room for statues of the Monarch

[validity] must not have monarchy
[option] “Neither of those will work,” says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister Of Bipartisanship. “I agree we should merge, but we can’t just have one or the other, monarchy or democratic republic, since this neighboring nation’s monarchy is a big part of their culture. I say we unify under a constitutional monarchy, limited and regulated by elected officials. Now, that’s what I call a compromise.”
[fallout] Citizens are confused on who to call their leader as the nation is declared a constitutional monarchy

[option] “You’re all wrong,” says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister Of Conservatism. “We don’t need unification in any manner. We’re the stronger nation. Why not instead of merging nations, we make this smaller nation a colony? More money for us, and hey, we’d be doing them a favor.”
[fallout] @@NAME@@ often considers colonizing other nations “doing them a favor”

[option] “Sick imperialists,” spits your Minister of Foreign Affairs in disgust. “You’re all filthy imperialists, I tell ‘ya! This nation is culturally different, with its own unique systems. They deserve to rule themselves, and we shouldn’t take advantage of their weak state. Besides, why should we make their problems ours?”
[fallout] @@NAME@@ prefers to keep problems abroad abroad

As I’ve said in previous drafts, this is a work in progress. Please give all your feedback, and I will edit accordingly as it comes. I look forward to getting your feedback!
"Stick to the pack, and the pack will provide."
We are a leftist nation that believes in the "we" over "I". That's why we are fond of wolves, because the Alpha looks after the pack.
Stick with us, and give us loyalty, and we'll do things that benefit you, and we'll stick with you.
If you cross us, however, then as a pack, we will hunt you.
Don't underestimate us.
To learn more about the nation, click here: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=oppermenia/detail=factbook

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:26 pm

So what do y’ll think?
We are a leftist nation that believes in the "we" over "I". That's why we are fond of wolves, because the Alpha looks after the pack.
Stick with us, and give us loyalty, and we'll do things that benefit you, and we'll stick with you.
Don't underestimate us.
To learn more about the nation, click here: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=oppermenia/detail=factbook

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Please don't bump within a matter of 20 minutes. We're not online 25/7, you know
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:53 pm

So is this like New Zealand becoming an Australian state, or Cyprus becoming part of Greece, or is this more like an European Union type union?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:So is this like New Zealand becoming an Australian state, or Cyprus becoming part of Greece, or is this more like an European Union type union?

Like combining the countries into one country
Don't underestimate us.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:59 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Please don't bump within a matter of 20 minutes. We're not online 25/7, you know

And I’m sorry about that, I’ll keep that in mind next time.
Don't underestimate us.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:01 pm

Oppermenia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:So is this like New Zealand becoming an Australian state, or Cyprus becoming part of Greece, or is this more like an European Union type union?

Like combining the countries into one country

So this would be like New Zealand becoming an Australian state or Cyprus becoming part of Greece. Okay, so now that we know what we're working with, let's proceed...

Is the smaller nation successful on its own?
If no, then, obviously, their monarchy isn't working, and therefore, they should adopt @@NAME@@'s system of government

If yes, then why want to join? Are they culturally similar?

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:07 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Oppermenia wrote:Like combining the countries into one country

So this would be like New Zealand becoming an Australian state or Cyprus becoming part of Greece. Okay, so now that we know what we're working with, let's proceed...

If no, then, obviously, their monarchy isn't working, and therefore, they should adopt @@NAME@@'s system of government

It’s sort of successful on its own, but it does have some problems with it. They want to join to increase their power, because hey, being a part of your nation can provide benefits, right?
Don't underestimate us.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:17 pm

Shouldn’t that be up to the player to decide? Some may be like “Oh yeah they should adopt our government” but others could be like “yeah we could do a monarchy”
Don't underestimate us.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Oppermenia wrote:

It’s sort of successful on its own, but it does have some problems with it. They want to join to increase their power, because hey, being a part of your nation can provide benefits, right?

Which brings me back to my original point:
With regards to the smaller nation,
If the current system isn't working, then ditch it
If the current system is working, then leave it as it is, no union or anything

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Oppermenia wrote:

Shouldn’t that be up to the player to decide? Some may be like “Oh yeah they should adopt our government” but others could be like “yeah we could do a monarchy”

Why would @@NAME@@ determine whether or not a DIFFERENT country's political system is working?

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Oppermenia wrote:Shouldn’t that be up to the player to decide? Some may be like “Oh yeah they should adopt our government” but others could be like “yeah we could do a monarchy”

Why would @@NAME@@ determine whether or not a DIFFERENT country's political system is working?

This issue is supposed to be “Oh, this nation wants to become a part of @@NAME@@; do you wanna do it?” And if you do want to, then “Oh, well how do you want to go about it?
Don't underestimate us.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Let me give you an idea of what this nation is like: sort of like India. Promising, but still developing.
This nation wants to become a part of @@NAME@@ so this one new unified country can be much more powerful and influential, and they can gain benefits. They’re significant enough to unify with @@NAME@@ rather than just being a mere colony, so then it’s like do you want to unify the two, and if you do, how should you go about it
Don't underestimate us.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Oppermenia wrote:Shouldn’t that be up to the player to decide? Some may be like “Oh yeah they should adopt our government” but others could be like “yeah we could do a monarchy”

So, as I’m sort of saying, it’s not the player determining whether another nation’s political system is working. It’s the player determining whether they want to unify with this country, and if they do, then how will they integrate it
Don't underestimate us.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:50 am

What do you guys think? Do you think it works right now, or would it make more sense if this other nation is culturally similar to yours?
Don't underestimate us.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:58 pm

Oppermenia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why would @@NAME@@ determine whether or not a DIFFERENT country's political system is working?

So, as I’m sort of saying, it’s not the player determining whether another nation’s political system is working. It’s the player determining whether they want to unify with this country, and if they do, then how will they integrate it

So you want a United Kingdom type of merger?

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Oppermenia wrote:So, as I’m sort of saying, it’s not the player determining whether another nation’s political system is working. It’s the player determining whether they want to unify with this country, and if they do, then how will they integrate it

So you want a United Kingdom type of merger?

I guess, sort of?
I was thinking of some revisions, like the nation being culturally similar, and an option having the Monarch of the other country asking Leader to merge the two countries.
Don't underestimate us.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:36 pm

I guess it’s sort of like the UK. Some options are complete unification, others are either like the UK or colonization.
Don't underestimate us.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Oppermenia wrote:I guess it’s sort of like the UK. Some options are complete unification, others are either like the UK or colonization.

The UK is complete unification. Before we go any further, you might want to check what a federation is. Australia was SIX indipendant nations until they became one, and each still has its own indipendant laws. The USA was 13 different countries, until those 13 became one, and they still have their own indipendant laws. Etc.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:40 pm

Oppermenia wrote:I guess it’s sort of like the UK. Some options are complete unification, others are either like the UK or colonization.

The UK is complete unification. Before we go any further, you might want to check what a federation is. Australia was SIX indipendant nations until they became one, and each still has its own indipendant laws. The USA was 13 different countries, until those 13 became one, and they still have their own indipendant laws. Etc.

Yes, I do know what a federation is. I also know that the UK is a unitary State, and complete unification. It’s also though a unitary State that delegates substantial government power to local authorities. I guess a better way to describe it is that an option is more like the UK, I guess more having to do with it being unified under a monarchy.
Don't underestimate us.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:00 pm

Yours if you want it

[title] United We Stand?
[validity] co-Authored by Australian rePublic

[desc] The landlocked neighbouring nation of Whettpharts has recently crowned @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@, as their new king, who has shown interest in merging @@HIS@@ nation with @@NAME@@. As Whettpharts is a smaller country with a population of a mere 500,000, the kingdom would adopt @@NAME@@’s name. However, as the two countries have different economies, cultures and political systems, there are disputes about how such a union should look
[option] "I think this is a wonderful idea!" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ economic advisor. "Merging nations would give some serious economic benefit. They can finally have access to the ocean, and we can have access to Lake @@REGION@@. Sure, it may make their problems our problems, but isn't that just the price for power? I say we unify our nations, for economic benefit. Eleminate both monarchies and instil a republic, and we're good to go.”
[pption validity] must be a monarchy
[effect] the new king accidently a initiated his own dethronment

[option] "That sounds good, except," begins another advisor, "this would bring up our nation's size and influence up greatly. How are we supposed to keep control of the entire country with all these new territories and citizens? That nation is a monarchy, right? What we should do is establish the new Whettphart king as our constitutional monarch, and we’ll be good to go!”
[Option validity] must be a republic
[effect] Statues of @@NAME@@'s most prominent historical figures are torn down to make room for statues of the new monarch

[option] “We're A constitutional monarchy and they're an absolute monarchy,” reminds @@RANDOMNAME@@, your royal advisor, so why don't we get Prince @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@ the first in line to @@NAME@@’s throne to marry Princess @@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME@@, the first in line to the Whettphart throne. That way, their first born will be the legitimate heir to both thrones, and you can be the prime minister!”
[option validity] must be a constitutional monarchy
[effect] @@LEADER@@ has recently been declared prime minister of Whettpharts
[option] “We're a federation, yeah?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of creative solutions, “So why don't we just incorporate Whettpharts as a new province? And let the king of Whettpharts rule over his province. What could possibly go wrong?”
[effect] @@LEADER@@ has a higher position than the king

[option] “Sick imperialists,” spits your Minister of Foreign Affairs in disgust. “You’re all filthy imperialists, I tell ‘ya! This nation is culturally different, with its own unique systems. They deserve to rule themselves, and we shouldn’t take advantage of their weak state. Besides, why should we make their problems ours?”
[fallout] @@LEADER@@ expelled half a million Whettpharts in a matter of seconds
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:57 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Yours if you want it

[title] United We Stand?

[desc] The landlocked neighbouring nation of Whettpharts has recently crowned @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@, as their new king, who has shown interest in merging @@HIS@@ nation with @@NAME@@. As Whettpharts is a smaller country with a population of a mere 500,000, the kingdom would adopt @@NAME@@’s name. However, as the two countries have different economies, cultures and political systems, there are disputes about how such a union should look
[option] "I think this is a wonderful idea!" says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a @@DENONYMADJECTIVE@@ economic advisor. "Merging nations would give some serious economic benefit. They can finally have access to the ocean, and we can have access to Lake @@REGION@@. Sure, it may make their problems our problems, but isn't that just the price for power? I say we unify our nations, for economic benefit. Eleminate both monarchies and instil a republic, and we're good to go.”

[option] "That sounds good, except," begins another advisor, "this would bring up our nation's size and influence up greatly. How are we supposed to keep control of the entire country with all these new territories and citizens? That nation is a monarchy, right? What we should do is establish the new Whettphart king as our constitutional monarch, and we’ll be good to go!”
[effect] Statues of @@NAME@@'s most prominent historical figures are torn down to make room for statues of the new monarch

[option] “We're A constitutional monarchy and they're an absolute monarchy,” reminds @@RANDOMNAME@@, your royal advisor, so why don't we get Prince @@RANDOMMALEFIRSTNAME@@ the first in line to @@NAME@@’s throne to marry Princess @@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME@@, the first in line to the Whettphart throne. That way, their first born will be the legitimate heir to both thrones, and you can be the prime minister!”
[option] “We're a federation, yeah?” asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of creative solutions, “So why don't we just incorporate Whettpharts as a new province? And let the king of Whettpharts rule over his province. What could possibly go wrong?”

I think that actually makes it make more sense, and cleans up a lot of the messes. The Federation option, I think, assumes that @@NAME@@ is already a federation. That probably shouldn’t be assumed that @@NAME@@ is a federation.
But, this one makes a lot more sense and is less messy. Thanks for helping me with this. If I use it, then I will give you credit for it.
Don't underestimate us.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:35 pm

Oppermenia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Yours if you want it

[title] United We Stand?

I think that actually makes it make more sense, and cleans up a lot of the messes. The Federation option, I think, assumes that @@NAME@@ is already a federation. That probably shouldn’t be assumed that @@NAME@@ is a federation.
But, this one makes a lot more sense and is less messy. Thanks for helping me with this. If I use it, then I will give you credit for it.

Yes, I'm aware of the federation opyion, which is I why I added the devolution validity to that option. Nations will only recieve that option if they have enacted the devolution policy. Nations who don't have devolution will still be able to recieve this issue, but not that option. Devolution means decentralising the government by allocating power to smaller governments

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:56 pm

deleted post
Last edited by Oppermenia on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't underestimate us.

Oppermenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Oppermenia » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:53 am

Okay, so now that I'm finished with my issue focusing on specifically a monarchy, I think I'm gonna focus on this issue. I thought this issue idea was promising, and it's not necessarily about a monarchy, even though it has some monarchy stuff going on in it.
Don't underestimate us.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?