NATION

PASSWORD

GN Excepts. Add your comments.

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

GN Excepts. Add your comments.

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:36 am

Excerpts and information from Great Nortan public and private life, including selected transcriptions in the Parliamentary Debates.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 13 times in total.
News from Great Nortend: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Tourism and Q&A thread: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=458726
Diplomacy, Embassies &c.: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865
If you have any questions about Great Nortend, please ask in the diplomacy thread above.

This nation generally represents my personal views in most areas, though slightly exaggerated perhaps.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 am

CABBATT AND OLMAN'S PARLIAMENTARY DEBATES,
of the Houses of Burgesses and Knights,

and commonly known as the Houses of Commons

THE FIFTH PARLIAMENT OF HIS MAJESTY KING ALEXANDER THE SECOND'S REIGN

Speaker: The Right Honourable Sir Peter Faulkner, Burgess for Mainrew
Knight-Lieutenant: The Right Honourable Henry Wigham, Knight for Swent North East

THE THIRD LIMMES MINISTRY IN COMMONS
Cabinet members are shewn in emboldened type

Senior Secretary to the Treasury and Deputy Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. Martin Fitzgerald, Burgess for Limmes
Parliamentary Under-Secretary to the Treasury: Richard de Maines, Knight for Barminstershire South Riding
Paymaster of the Army: Lieutenant-General Sir Edward Minnow
Master of the Mint: Sir Liam Sawnett, Knight for Mure
Comptroller of the Exchequer: Rt. Hon. Peter Hofton, Burgess for Acingham
Clerk of the Exchequer: Michael Falthorn, Knight for Essingfordshire North
Knight of Receipts: Timothy Hawtree, Knight for Fawnshire North
Secretary to the Lord Chancellour: Stuart Cloves, Knight for Bentshire North
Paymaster of the Navy: Rear Admiral Sir Harold Hay
The King’s Clerk: Rt. Hon. Sir Aaron Billings, Knight for Swent South West
Secretary of State for Foreign and Welch Affairs: Rt. Hon. George Drachington, Burgess for Mooping
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs: Bernard Barber, Knight for Enley East
Postmaster-General of the General Post Office: Rt. Hon. Sir Lachlan James, Burgess for Lanchester
Assistant to the Postmaster-General: Henry Fabing, Knight for Poltland East
Secretary at War: Rt. Hon. Frederic Hondel, Burgess for Morneck
Storeman of the Board: John Edd, Knight for Eamshire East
Clerk of the Board: Sir Charles Trueman, Knight for Larkshire in Between
Master of the Board of Rail and Second Lord of Trade: Rt. Hon. Sir William Gouldon, Knight for Enley Wes
Master of the Board of Health: James Kinson, Burgess for Seaslough
Alchemist General: Sir Geoffrey Chandler, Burgess for Boucester
Attorney General: Rt. Hon. Sir Peter Finch, Burgess for Tollsea
Solicitor General: Sir Harmint Luse, Burgess for Quarry
King’s Proctor: Sir Gerard de la Rue, Burgess for Sulthey
Advocate General: Sir Xavier Wood, Burgess for Running
Surveyour General of Forests and Woods: Rt. Hon. Jonathan Hall, Knight for Oxleyshire
Under-Surveyour of Forests and Woods: Henry Fair, Knight for Ganningshire East

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
Cabbatt and Olman's, Printers of the City of Lendert
His Majesty's Printer
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:01 am, edited 7 times in total.
News from Great Nortend: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Tourism and Q&A thread: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=458726
Diplomacy, Embassies &c.: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865
If you have any questions about Great Nortend, please ask in the diplomacy thread above.

This nation generally represents my personal views in most areas, though slightly exaggerated perhaps.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:23 am

25th of September, 2018

Oral Answers to Questions
The King's Clerk was asked
On matters concerning the provision of public police telephones

Mr Jonathon Reid, for Ovingpool, Conservative—How useful and important is it that more public police telephones be provided in our boroughs and cities.

Sir Aaron Billings (The King's Clerk), Knight for Swent South West, Scodeliers—Since my right honourable friend, his Grace, the Duke of Limmes of another place, formed government in 2009, we have introduced to the streets and other public places of Great Nortend's bustling and important civic centres over five hundred public police telephones, in the form of either discreet pillars of cast iron or practical boxes of a garden shed design, all painted in blues. Since 2010, when the first of these important elements of public infrastructure were installed, there have been over two million calls for assistance to the police constabularies, resulting indirectly in over a million arrests in these eight years. The Government has, however, not been content to sit idle and fan ourselves in glory. No, this year alone, we have installed fifty new police telephones, and I am pleased to announce to this honourable place that every single borough now has at least two public police telephones.
Members cry
Sir Aaron—Next year, in 2019, I am even more pleased to announce, the Government plans to install 133 new dedicated public police telephones in the streets of Lendert, Limmes, Rhise and Faunslaughter, and fit over 1000 red telephone kiosks with simple police telephone functionality. These police telephones save lives and further the Government's goal of keeping all of His Majesty's subjects safe from danger.
Mr Reid—Some people have complained that these new police telephone pillars are unsightly and duplicate the role of the telephone kiosk. How does the Clerk respond to these allegations?
Sir Aaron—I thank my hon. friend for his question. With every innovation, there is bound to be those detractours. And this is no exception. Of course, some people will be crossly writing to their member complaining that these essential public safety telephones are ugly or obnoxious, or as one lady in my shire said, 'arrogantly useless', but the majority will be thankful and glad, as will those aforementioned people, when the unfortunate time comes when they themselves are in need of the police, or an ambulance, or the fire brigade, and they are able to walk but a few hundred yards down the street and instantly, without panic and free of charge, dial the emergency service of which they are in need of. And note that though these telephones are called police telephones, we must not cause people to think that they are solely for the purpose of dialling the police. No, these telephones offer near-instantaneous communication with an operatour who is able to connect the caller to a wide range of emergency services, including, as before, the police, the fire brigade and the ambulance service, but also the coast guard and utilities companies for when someone is swept out to sea or when a water pipe is burst.
Mr Philip Adrake, for Bexeness, Droughs—I wonder if the King's Clerk has been to my borough of Bexeness or wandered its town streets at all. The people I represent have, and from what I have been told, there has not been a public police telephone installed at all within the borough. How can the Clerk say that every borough has at least two public police telephones when apparently, Bexeness has naught?
Sir Aaron—I thank the hon. Gentleman for his question and invite him to inform his constituents that there indeed are two public police telephones in Bexeness. From my papers here, I can see that there is one wall-mounted public police telephone behind the sexton's shed in the churchyard of St Marion and another pillar telephone located at the crest of Jolliver's Hill, in Fillerby Alley. I hope that with this new information, the hon. Gentleman's constituents will be able to find their way around their town in a more effective manner.
Mr Adrake—Behind the sexton's shed? Mr Speaker, surely that is not a reasonable place to put a public police telephone? And tucked away in a tiny, dark and dingy alley-way four foot wide? Does the Clerk think the good burghers of Bexeness deserve nothing but the bare minimum in terms of public safety?
Sir Aaron—If we recall back to those debates in 2009, in the first term of our Government, I seem to recall that members on the opposite side were rather much against the entire scheme! If they were in Government we wouldn't have any public police telephones, let alone debate their placement! How can the hon. Gentleman complain about the placement of public police telephones when he himself was against the idea of their introduction in the first place?

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
His Majesty's Printer
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:01 am, edited 6 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:28 am

26th of September, 2018

The Senior Secretary to the Treasury was asked
On the church and chimney taxes

Mr Harold Allan, Knight for Barminstershire West Riding, Droughs—Why has the maximum church tax not been reduced to fifteen shillings threepence when before the general election, the Coalition's programme indicated that the government would?
Mr Martin Fitzgerald (Senior Secretary to the Treasury and Deputy Prime Minister), for Limmes, Conservatives—Church tax, which should not be confused with church tithes, have been a staple part of the church's revenues since the 17th century, when our venerable King, His Majesty King Alexander the First, turned away from the popish skulduggery of the Roman church and established our holy and catholic Church of Nortend. It was Sir Edin that said in this very place, in 1899, that 'We who commune with the state's church and receive the grace of God thereby, must expect to and indeed do to our utmost to support the holy institution'. Though it may be argued that the late right hon. Gentleman was indeed referring to more physical or spiritual support, it cannot be denied that monetary support is a crucial element for the preservation and upliftment of the Church. I do apologise, Mr Speaker, for I appear to have strayed somewhat from the question. Now, the Government would very much like to reduce the upper limit for the church tax, as we do prefer to reduce taxes rather than raise them despite my loyalties to His Majesty's Treasury and Exchequer which may preclude my saying that I dislike taxes entirely–
Hon. members on the left laugh
Mr Speaker—Order.
Mr Fitzgerald—Thank you, Mr Speaker, I do not dislike taxes entirely because I recognise that they are essential to the running of the State and Government. The church tax is required to help pay for the maintenance of our nation's great cathedrals, abbeys, priories and churches and for the payment of the thousands of clergymen that run the church behind the scenes. Parochial rates or tithes have increasingly been diverted away from the maintenance of the church and clergy towards schemes beneficial to the community at large, such as the hundreds of almshouses in parishes across the country, and in the giving of alms to the poor and needy. Without church tax, our religious buildings would indeed fall down and our holy men would starve to death. I am sure the hon. Gentleman will recall that our programme announced before the election mentioned reducing the church tax by threepence given that populations were expected to rise to counter its effect. However, the Government is proud to announce that our population has remained stable, with growth in souls reduced from the predicted 1·0 per cent to only less than 0·3 per cent in the past year. This is something the Government has worked very hard in achieving, through measures taken by my right hon. friend the First Member for Hexmeadbay as Master of the Board of Health to reduce infant mortality and birth rate to a stable level, as well as through extensive public awareness programmes undertaken in the less reputable areas of the country in exterminating fornication, night-working and wanton knowledge amongst the lower classes. Unfortunately though, as a consequence, the government is unable to proceed for a case to reduce the church tax by threepence as originally planned; however, it is considering reducing the chimney tax payable by sixpence to sixpencepence from the present shilling.
Mr Allan—Chimney tax is payable monthly on every chimney for houses with more than two chimneys. Why is this essential in the first place? Surely the Treasury can survive without a few measly shillings? Some hon. members in government may suggest that it aims to reduce fuel consumption. No, the excise on coal takes care of that. In fact, the chimney tax is intended to raise money for the Government. Reducing the chimney tax reduces the tax burden on whom? On the wealthy and middle classes. The poor do not have three, four, five chimneys; they have one. They do not pay chimney tax in the first place and rarely hold the freeholds of their house anyway. What is the rationale for halving the chimney tax for the landed and wealthy?
Mr Fitzgerald—I thank the hon. Gentleman for his question and invite him to consider why the former right hon. member for Redwick in his party introduced the tax in the first place in the 1950s! This government is looking at reducing the chimney tax because it will mean chimneys currently blocked up may now be unblocked. People will be able to enjoy using fireplaces freely once more without fear of losing a pound and four shillings a year for the privilege of having two unblocked chimneys in their houses. The Government believes twelve shillings a year for two chimneys is a more reasonable cost to bear for freeholders and tenants, who overwhelmingly are saddled with the burden of building taxes by their landlords in any case.

The Assistant to the Postmaster General was asked
On accessibility to the post

Mr Edmund Leeves, Knight for Merst South, Scodeliers—How is he and the Government working to ensure that all members of the community have reliable and convenient access to the postal system?
Mr Henry Fabing (The Assistant to the Postmaster General), for Sulhampton, Scodeliers—My hon. friend has direct first-hand experience of how poor access to the entire postal system can lead to sad consequences. He has told me in a previous meeting of the story of an elderly spinster who was unable to walk the three miles to the nearest post box when the local post box was removed for repairs. The lady desired to make contact with her long-lost sister, who had written to her in the autumn of 2010 desiring to establish whether they were indeed sisters. The lady knew immediately from the other lady's photograph, which matched a photograph in a photograph album she had inherited, and wrote a letter, waiting for the post box to be replaced for her to post. The post box was not replaced for over two years and when it was, the lady was able to finally post her letter. Tragically, it turned out that her sister had died only a few months earlier unknown to her and not knowing that she had indeed discovered her blood kin at last. Such a tale, though rare, highlights how important it is that every member of society is able to access the post, which for many people living in rural areas, is the only way of contacting far off relations, friends, acquaintances or business. The Government has been working to ensure that when post boxes are replaced when they damaged, stolen or otherwise needing replacement, they are replaced in a timely fashion. Furthermore, the Government has recently introduced a trial of a scheme suggested by the postmistress of Lutton Dogfield, Mrs Alice Saunders, where postmen, in addition to their usual duties of delivering the letters and parcels, call upon the elderly, weak or vulnerable weekly to sell stamps, aerogrammes, envelopes, stationery and to collect letters or parcels to be posted. The trial started last month in the parishes of Lutton Dogfield, Standleton, Cogsworth-on-Street and Lower Cogsworth and will run for six months.
Mr Leeves—I thank Mrs Saunders for her excellent idea and the Assistant to the Postmaster General for remembering perfectly the tragic case of Miss Mary Ashley. I hope my hon. friend and the rest of this chamber will agree that the post is a national icon and that it is crucial for the community to be able to access it in a reliable way.
Members cry—Hear hear!

The Second Lord of Trade was asked
On support given to hat manufaturers

Mr Leslie Hall, for Metthews, Droughs—What steps are the Governement taking to give support to hat manufacturers during this drought of rabbit fur?
Sir William Gouldon (Second Lord of Trade), Knight for Enley West, Scodeliers—The recent scarcity of rabbit fur suitable for the use in the manufacture of felt hats is something on which the Government has been informed and a matter on which the Government is taking steps to support felt hat manufacturers. The Government will release its support plan in the coming weeks and I thank the hon. Gentleman for his question.

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
His Majesty's Printer
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:01 am, edited 12 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:55 am

20TH OF OCTOBER
ANNO SEXTO DECIMO
ALEXANDRI REGIS

A Speech
On a Bill to amend the Offences Against The Person Act, 20 Alex. II p. 34 and to repeal the Hoeslaughter Act, 3 Edm. VI p. 3

Sir Aaron Billings (The King's Clerk), Knight for Swent South West, Scodeliers—I move:
That the bill is to be read a second time.

The Second Reading
Sir Aaron Billings (The King's Clerk), Knight for Swent South West, Scodeliers—I seek leave to have this speech inscriben in the rolls.
Leave is granted

The speech readeth as followeth:
Sir Aaron Billings (The King's Clerk), Knight for Swent South West, Scodeliers—Mr Speaker, this bill abolishes the archaic crime of hoeslaughter in Great Nortend. Hoeslaughter as a crime dates from the ancient kingdoms of these fair isles as a way of reducing or deterring the wanton destruction and murder of the innocent natives of these fair isles. We however, have come far as a single Kingdom and it is the belief of this Government that this crime ought to be abolished.

This crime is superfluous to our civil society. Not for many centuries have rampant and unreasoned desires to slay the peoples with whom we live nowadays freely been entertained and we should shudder at the very thought indeed. There is no need or place at all within our law for the murder of any person to be considered different from the murder of another. Whereas petty squabbles and differences between our native Hoes and others may occasionally erupt, murder is still murder, no matter the race of mankind to which the person belongs.

The recent case of Hulmes v Rex, heard in the King's Bench, emphasises my point. Mr Hulmes was at the first instance at the Assizes convicted of the hoeslaughter of the late Mrs Sinode Oclard and sentenced to death. He applied for a writ of certiorari from the King's Bench, where on appeal he was successful on the grounds that Mrs Oclard was 'not of good character' and that he had a 'willing need' for her death as a Hoe. This is a clear disaster for justice, if a man may go free from the abominable crime of murder, on the text of a staute dating to the 16th century. It is not the place or time to go into the horrid details of this case, as the Crown has appealed to the court superior, however it is a good example of the real and pressing need for reform of this area.

This bill will easily and simply abolish the Hoeslaughter Act, 1570, as well as remove all references to hoeslaughter from the Offences against the Person Act, 1888. After the passage and assenting to of this bill, the crime of hoeslaughter shall no longer exist in this Dominion and any killings of Hoes by people not of the Hoebric race shall be determined according to the law of murder, manslaughter or the like. I urge all of the honourable members of these houses to support this bill.

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
His Majesty's Printer
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:07 am

30th of January, 2019

The King's Clerk was asked
On the Prohibitions Amendment Bill

Mr Vernon Wegg, for Cadell, Droughs—Will the King's Clerk tell the members of this honourable place whether this bill will help facilitate the dreadful acts of Mohammedan terrorism seen in other countries?
Sir Aaron Billings (The King's Clerk), Knight for Swent South West, Scodeliers—Thank you, Mr Speaker. I am adamant in telling this place that the Government is totally opposed and opposes in the most severe of tones acts of violence, terror or destruction in the name of any religion, and in light of recent events in the last few years, especially those done in by Mohammedans in the name of their prophet Mohammed and God. Mr Speaker, this bill seeks to only allow Mohammedan resident aliens to practise their faith whilst still residing in Great Nortend. The bill clearly outlines the establishment of a region of Cadell, specifically the Upper Ward, where they are permitted to live. Why does the hon. gentleman suggest in his question that Mohammedan resident aliens overtly residing in Great Nortend as Mohammedans would be inclined to any violent causes that would not manifest should they be required to practise their faith covertly, as it is currently? We accept that there is a risk in increased mobilisation or indoctrination into the particularly violent or virulent strains of the Mohammedan cult if Mohammedans are permitted to overtly declare themselves as such; however, the Government has proposed measures to counteract this, which, if the hon. gentlemen would be so inclined, is clearly stated in the third paragraph of the explanatory memorandum which he received on the bill.
Members on the right cry
Mr Wegg—Will the Clerk clarify to the chamber that the head priest, or imam as it is said here, will be appointed by the Crown?
Sir Aaron—I thank the hon. member for the question. The Government intends that the Imam of the Mosk of Cadell will be appointed by the Crown through Order-in-Council of His Majesty's Privy Council. The current policy, as formulated by Professour Zewty, is that the Imam will be required to swear the Oath of Allegiance upon the mutually shared holy books of Christianity and Mohammedanism, being the Jewish Torah and Psalter, and an Oath of Office requiring him to report any suspected wrongdoing or inclinations towards violence within his congregation to the Government.
Mr Wegg—What will the punishment be for any concealment of Mohammedan radicalisation?
Sir Aaron—As the hon. gentleman knows, breaking an oath administered according to the rules of oaths is perjury. The Imam will be required to swear the two oaths before the Clerk of the Privy Council, and thus breaking them may result in his being liable to prosecution for perjury.

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
His Majesty's Printer
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:17 am

Allord College, Allord, ENLEY

It was a marvellous winter's Sunday dawn in the second week of the Easter term. Edwin Fraiser, a young newman in the second form at Allord woke to the sound of the bells tolling six o'clock. Laying in bed he said his prayers and, lighting a candle, saw that his room-mate was gone. That was normal, for Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, and to-day was a Sunday so Fraiser was not at all concerned. His fellow pupil, an Aaron de Coar, was a chorister in the choir, which required early rising on Sundays. Fraiser himself got up into the chilly air and dressed himself in his Sunday clothes: black tailcoat, ruffled shirt, stiff detachable collar, bow tie, grey trousers and the curious black short Allord hat, which was very much like a silk top hat in material but with the size and shape of a straw boater. Pulling on his gloves, he could hear the sounds of other boys walking rather noisily down the corridor. Checking the clock, he saw he had only ten minutes to get to chapel, thus so grasped his hat, exited his chambers and merged into the stiff-gaited stream of similarly dressed young gentlemen heading to chapel in the early morning darkness, as well as the odd master in trencher and gown rubbing his hands in the crisp and cool morning air.

Mattins at the college chapel was brilliantly lit with candles and lamps galore, and welcome change from the still-dark landscape outside. Fraiser sat next to Jones, a rather taller boy, in his usual pew. Each form had its own two pews, with the first form at the front and the upper sixth at the back, excepting the third form, known as the remove, which sat in the eastern transept, hence its name. Whispering to Jones, Fraiser said, 'How have you gone with Martins? De Cour and I were up until 9 last night going over my conjugations, but I still can't get through the subjunctive'.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:27 am

ANNO SEXTO DECIMO
ALEXANDRI REGIS

A BILL
to amend the Act to further the maintenance of the established church, public morals and spirituality, 13 Cath. II p. 21

WHEREAS it is deemed desirable to lessen the intolerence shewn by the law towards those persons of proscribed religions or spiritual groups and to therefore permit the practice of certain otherwise proscribed religions or spiritual groups by those persons whose presence within the realm shall be deemed by the your most Excellent Majesty in Council advantageous,

WE DO THEREFORE beseech your most Excellent Majesty by and with the Advice and Consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal and of the Burgesses and Knights of the Shire and other Members of Parliament in this present Court assembled, that:

SECTION I. Upon the day after which the Act receives his most Excellent Majesty's Assent, the provisions in Schedule I to the Act beginning on Page Twenty-One of the Vellum Rolls of the Thirteenth Year in the Reign of Her late Majesty Queen Catherine the Second, being entitled, “An Act to further the maintenance of the established church, public morals and spirituality”, shall alter the text of law in the said Act as passed.

SCHEDULE I

Of the Act to further the maintenance of the established church, public morals and spirituality, 13 Cath. II p. 21:

i. Section V(3)
Omit “sell, ” and “or in his shop”

ii. After Section V(3),
Insert the following: “(3a) sell or have in his shop except when on his person or for his personal use any supposed holy text, book, literature, image, icon or other document of such a religion or spiritual group, or”

iii. After Section V,
insert the following:
V A. Lawful excuse for adherents to the heretical cult of Mohammed
    (1) An exempted person shall have a lawful excuse for the purposes of subsections (2) and (3) in Section V.
    (2) An alien resident within the King's Dominions, that is an adherent to the heretical cult of Mohammed, shall be deemed an exempted person if the King in Council with shall so declare him to have a lawful cause for the purposes of Section V in accordance with law.
    (3) The King in Council may only declare any alien to have a lawful cause for the purposes of Section V if:
      i. the alien is normally resident within the walls of the City of Cadell, inclusive of the Inner Ward, or
      ii. the King in Council is otherwise satisfied that by doing so the integrity of the Realm, his Peace, public order and the safety of His Majesty's subjects shall not be impaired.
    (4) An exempted person may not enter any church or chapel without disclosing his religion and receiving the permission of the ordinary thereof or of his delegate.
    (5) If an exempted person shall change his place of residence, he shall within one week notify the King in Council or the Minister of the Crown, and if he does not, shall automatically be no longer deemed an exempted person.
    (6) The King in Council or the Minister of the Crown shall be able to declare an exempted person to be no longer an exempted person for any reason.
    (7) If any exempted person shall be indicted or presented for any felony or misdemeanour, he shall no longer be an exempted person.
    (8) An exempted person shall not wear or be habited in any religious or spiritual habit, garb or clothing that covers the majority of the face, or that resembles the habit of a monk, friar, nun or sister of the Church of Nortend.

V B. Establishment of a mosk
    (1) A mosk of the cult of Mohammed, to be named the “Mosk of Cadell”, may be established by the King in Council, within the Ward of Chantry in the City of Cadell.
    (2) If such a mosk be established:
      i. the King in Council shall appoint a leader of the mosk during the King's Pleasure, and he
      ii. shall be required to take the Oath of Allegiance and Oath of General Office, and
      iii. shall at all time seek to preserve the King's Peace, and
      iv. shall be required if he receives knowledge of any plan or devious mechanation or has reason to believe that any person has such knowledge, to inform as soon as reasonably possible the King in Council or the Minister of the Crown of such knowledge or belief, and
      v. if he shall be an adherent to the cult of Mohammed, shall be deemed to be an exempted person for the purposes of Section V A during the time which he shall be appointed, and for one year and a day thereafter.

V C. Provisions relating to the mosk
    (1) If the mosk, whose establishment is provided for in Section V B, is so established, only exempted persons authorised to engage in religious activities therein or with relation to it by the King in Council or the Minister of the Crown shall engage in any religious activities therein or with relation to it.
    (2) The King in Council or the Minister of the Crown shall have the power to make any regulations not repugnant to law relating to the operations of the mosk.
    (3) A warranted constable of the parish or police constable or one of the King's justices or a warden of the peace shall have the power to enter the mosk and expel any person therein for the preservation of the King's Peace.

Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:26 am

GUIDE TO LENDERT-WITH-CADELL—TRANSPORT

The City has numerous convenient services which aid greatly in easing the transport of persons whithersoever they wish to go. For transport within the City proper, there are three options for a visitor, being the tram, the omnibus, the train, and the cabriolet. Canal-boat traffic within the City itself has greatly dwindled in the last few decades, and need nothing but a cursory overview. Omnibus are not normally permitted to enter into, pick up or set down passengers within the City proper either. We shall hereinunder discuss each respectively in turn, in any case.

The Tram
The City's tramways are one of the internationally recognised symbols of the city. Despite tramways being common through Great Nortend, it is for some peculiar reason that it is Lendert-with-Cadell which should be attached so inextricably to the notion of these human conveyances in the mind of the foreign man. The City proper is well-serviced by the trams, which are painted in their distinctive green-and-cream colour scheme. When the change to electric tramcars in the middle of the 20th century was announced, there was controversy owing to the deleterious effect the erection of overhead wires for the propulsion of electric tramcars had had on the aesthetic and visual appeal of cities and boroughs across the country. In the City, however, it has been largely mitigated by the use of underground channel conduit for the transmission of current, and legislation has been enacted to require future electrification to be achieved through such systems, where possible.

For the visitor to the City, maps of the tramway network may be obtained either beforehand by writing to the City Tramway Office, or if inconvenient, enquiry through one's travelling agent. Otherwise, maps may be purchased for a farthing each at major City railway stations and from the tram brakeman. Single tickets may be bought from the brakeman, charged based on distance. Tickets are small cards, and the brakeman will punch a hole for the destination stop. Fares usually range from halfpenny to sixpence, depending on distance.

Trams are often bumpy and unevenly heated in the winter. Visitors are advised to hold on tight to the rails if not seated, as it is very easily for one to lose one's footing and injure oneself. The first floor of a double-decker tram can be exceedingly unstable, and standing is strongly advised against.

The Train
The Underground Railway has been a greatly popular service ever since it opened in the 19th century. Now mostly electric, it caters towards longer distance travel in the immediate vicinity of the City rather than travel within the City proper itself. However, for travel across the city, say to change trains from the Saint-le-Cross terminus of the Eastern Railway to the Halton Street terminus of the Lendert and Limmes Railway, a 2½ mile journey on the Underground and City Railway is ideal, taking less than five minutes compared to the fifteen or more minutes required by tram in the congested inner City.

Ticketing is as per the standard Board of Railways ticketing system (BORTS), purchasable at booking offices anywhere in the country. Mechanical machines for tickets exist at the major City stations as well, receiving a ticket upon insertion of the correct number and type of coins. Tickets must be surrendered upon arrival to a ticket collector.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:20 am

TIPSTAFF : Hark ye and be upstanding. The Honourable Mr Justice Ledger.
All rise. Ledger J enters and bows. All bow.
TIPSTAFF : All persons have business before this honourable Court are commanded to draw nigh and they shall be heard. Gᴏᴅ save the King. Pray be seated.
All are seated
LEDGER J : Mr Tipstaff, make proclamation for silence.
TIPSTAFF : Hark ye, His Majesty's Justice doth strictly charge and command all manner of persons to keep silence, upon pain of imprisonment.
LEDGER J : In re Rex versus Blewitt, I shall now take attendances. If you will, Mr Stewart...
MR STEWART : If your Lordship pleases, I attend on command of the Crown. My learned friend Mr Hardcastle attends on behalf of the accused, Mr Blewitt. I present a billa vera of the jurata comitatus of the County of Essingfordshire upon the indictment of the Prisoner upon one charge of interference with the King's Mails.
Mr Stewart passes indictment to the Tipstaff who passes it to Ledger J.
LEDGER J : Arraign the accused, Mr Clerk.
Ledger J passes the indictment to the Clerk
CLERK (Looking at the accused in the Dock) : Is thy name James Richard Peter Blewitt?
BLEWITT : It is.
CLERK : James Blewitt, thou standest indicted by the name of James Richard Peter Blewitt, late of Manly House in the manor of Copingsaw in the hundred of Outonbury and county of Essingfordshire, for thou, not having the fear of Gᴏᴅ before thine eyes, but being moved and seduced by the instigation of the devil, on the 8th day of August in the 17th year of the reign of our sovereign Lord Alexander the Second, by the Grace of Gᴏᴅ, of Nortend and Hambria King, with force and arms at the manor aforesaid in the hundred aforesaid in the county aforesaid, in the peace of God and of our said sovereign Lord the King, feloniously, voluntarily and of thy malice afore-thought did make interference with the Royal Mails of our aforesaid sovereign Lord the King; and that thou, the aforesaid James Blewitt, didst with implements on and upon the street posting box of our aforesaid sovereign Lord the King feloniously, voluntarily, and of thy malice afore-thought, caused the door of the aforementioned street posting box to open, and that thou the aforesaid James Blewitt, didst then and there feloniously, voluntarily and of thy malice afore-thought capture and asport one article of the Royal Mails of our said sovereign Lord the King, against the peace of our said sovereign Lord the King, his Crown and dignity.

To the aforementioned indictment having being certified a billa vera by the jurata comitatus of thy countymen, how sayest thou, James Blewitt? Art thou filed of the felony whereof thou standest indicted, or unfiled?
BLEWITT : Unfiled.
CLERK : How says the Crown?
STEWART : Filed. The Crown prays to join issue on the indictment.
CLERK : James Blewitt, dost thou join issue on His Majesty's indictment?
HARDCASTLE : Mr Clerk, Mr Blewitt joins issue on the Crown's indictment.
CLERK : James Blewitt, how wilt thou be tried?
BLEWITT : I put myself upon God and my countymen.
CLERK : Gᴏᴅ send thee a good deliverance.

LEDGER J : I think we ought to proceed immediately to trial, unless cause be shewn to the contrary.
STEWART : I have no such cause, my Lord.
HARDCASTLE : Neither have I, my Lord.
LEDGER J : Then, Mr Clerk, imprison the accused at the Bar.
CLERK : Thou James Blewitt, now His Majesty's Prisoner at the Bar, shalt hear called these men who shall personally appear, are to pass between our sovereign Lord the King and thee, upon trial of thy free life; if thou wilt challenge them, or any of them, thou mustest speak unto them as they come to the Book to be sworn, before they be sworn. Mr Tipstaff, call the jurata parva.
TIPSTAFF : Hark ye good men that are impanelled to try between our sovereign Lord the King and the Prisoner at the Bar, answer to your name and save your fines.
LEDGER J : Mr Blewitt, you have the free liberty to challenge twelve of the jurors without shewing cause.
CLERK : Henry Woodstock
TIPSTAFF : He appears.
And so the twelve jurors enter, none being challenged.
CLERK : Ye jurors, take the Book and look at the Prisoner. Thou Prisoner, lookest upon the jurors. Ye jurors shall well and truly try, and true deliverance make, between our sovereign Lord the King and the Prisoner at the Bar, whom ye shall have in charge, and a true veredictum give, according to your evidence. So help you Gᴏᴅ.
Jurors say “So help me Gᴏᴅ”.
CLERK : Mr Tipstaff, count the jurors.
TIPSTAFF : Mr Clerk, twelve good men and true. Gentlemen, are ye all sworn?
LEDGER J : Mr Tipstaff, make proclamation for information.
TIPSTAFF : Hear ye; if any man can inform His Majesty's justices, serjeants, attorneys, solicitors, advocates or proctors, before this trial be taken before our sovereign Lord the King and the Prisoner of the Bar, of any treason, forsteal, murder, felony or other misdemeanour, committed or done by the Prisoner of the Bar, come forth, and ye shall be heard, for the Prisoner stands at the Bar, upon his deliverance; and all persons bound by their recognisance to prosecute him, come forth, and prosecute, or ye will forfeit your recognisance.
CLERK : Gentlemen of the jury, look upon the Prisoner and hearken unto his charge. He stands indicted by the name of James Richard Peter Blewitt, late ... Upon this indictment he hath been arraigned, and thereupon hath pleaded unfiled; and for his trial hath put himself upon Gᴏᴅ and his county, which county ye are. Your charge is to enquire whether he be filed of the felony in manner and form as he stands indicted, or unfiled. If ye find him filed, ye shall enquire what goods, chattels, lands or tenements he had at the time of the felony committed, or at any time since. If ye find him unfiled, ye shall enquire whether he fled for the same. If ye find that he did fly for the same, ye shall enquire of his goods and chattels, as if ye had found him filed, and that he did not fly for the same, say so, and no more. And hear your evidence.
Here begins the trial.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:06 am, edited 16 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:34 am

M E D I C A L  A L M S
Provided by the Lord High Almoner under the
Public Alms Scheme.

The Lord High Almoner provides eligible Subjects with Medical Alms in accordance with the Lord High Almoner's Act 18 Edmund IX p. 44 under the Public Alms scheme. Subjects who are entitled to Full Common Alms, such as those receiving Poor Alms, Old-Age Pensions, Widows' Pensions, Veterans' Pensions or Invalid Pensions, are also entitled to Full Medical Alms. All other Subjects who are entitled to Half Common Alms are entitled to Half Medical Alms.

You must register with your chosen Doctor to receive your Medical Alms booklet, which will entitle You to coverage of fees and charges up to the Scheduled Fee for services covered by Medical Alms, as provided for in the Lord High Almoner's Rules. Note that the Scheduled Fee for those on Full Medical Alms is higher than the Scheduled Fee for those on Half Medical Alms. Medical Alms cover most Consultations, Treatments, Surgeries, Hospital Services and Nursing Services, as well as most prescribed Medicaments, Drugs and Appliances. This includes Dentistry and Eye services.

To receive Medical Alms to pay for a service, the Alms Claim form in your booklet must be filled in by the Provider of the service, be it the doctor, surgeon, hospital sister or apothecary. This must be filled out in triplicate and one copy posted to the Lord High Almoner. Another copy is retained by the Provider, and the final copy is retained by You. If the Provider is registered with the Lord High Almoner, he will receive his Medical Alms cheque in the Post in due time and if You are on Half Alms, You will need to pay the Provider a quarter of the charged fee. Otherwise, the cheque will be posted and made out to You. You likely will be obliged to pay the Provider personally the entire charged fee.

Although Medical Alms are available for all Subjects regardless of your Public Insurance payments, remember that they are not free charity. They are paid for by H. M. Treasury, principally from the pounds, shillings and pence You pay into the Exchequer in the form of taxes, duties and excise. If You are able to pay your own way, even partially, the collective burden on the Treasury will be lessened. But if you are unable to pay, do not worry as Medical Alms ensure that You are well looked after during times of illness.

PUBLISHED FOR THE LORD HIGH ALMONER
His Majesty's Printer
  
Last edited by Great Nortend on Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:17 am, edited 8 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:44 am

Last edited by Great Nortend on Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:15 am

18th of November, Michaelmas, A. C. MMXX, 16 Alexander II

The Gentleman of the Horse was asked
On the advertisement of Bananas

Mr. John Hallinger, Knight for Barminstershire North Riding, Scodeliers—Will The Honourable Gentleman of the Horse tell these Houses how the Government is supporting the farmers of the North Riding of Barminstershire in the face of the increasing popularity of bananas imported from tropical republics abroad?
Mr. George Davis (The Gentleman of the Horse), for Porthawley, Scodeliers—Thank you, Mr. Speaker. We in this place are all too well aware of the increasing assault on honest Erbonian orchard and market garden fruit produce by fruit goods from the heated tropics. This is no better epitomised than in the rapid rise in popularity of the curious yellow fruit which the honourable gentleman refers to. The Crown, under its prerogative powers, last fortnight presented to His Majesty for assent a number of measures aimed at supporting our farmers, orchard-men and market gardeners. Among these measures, the Government will impose a new one and fourpence excise per greengrocer's stone on all bananas and certain other tropical fruit goods, excluding oranges and lemons, imported from abroad.
Mr. Hallinger—Will these fruit goods be marked, so that my constituents know that they are foreign goods?
[bMr. Davis—[/b]No, Sir. The fruit themselves will likely not be marked, at least not by the Government. However, the crates out of which greengrocers sell such fruit will be required to bear labels of origin, as well as excise stamps.

PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
His Majesty's Printer

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates