NATION

PASSWORD

[WITHDRAWN] World language initiative

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Slui
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

[WITHDRAWN] World language initiative

Postby Slui » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:03 pm

Hey all! This is my first post on this particular forum, so please excuse any errors I make in regards to the standards established.

For some time, I've been working on a resolution entitled the "World language Initiative," which is listed below. I've introduced it a couple of times, but it's yet to reach quorum. I would like some help with writing a resolution that has a halfway decent chance of passing, so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Category: Education and Creativity
Area of Effect: Cultural Heritage

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY

DEFINES a language as a method of human communication, either spoken or written, consisting of the use of words in a structured and conventional way

DEFINES linguist as an expert well versed in the study and function of languages

DEFINES a critically endangered language as a language with fewer than one million speakers

DEFINES a speaker of a language as any individual who can fluently read, write, speak, and understand a language

HEREBY
1. Establishes the World Language Comission (WLC), whose purpose is to study and catalog all worldly languages, be they naturally occurring or artificially created
2. Establishes a central library of historical, cultural, and educational documents in all languages cataloged by the WLC
3. Establishes a program headed by the WLC to maintain and protect critically endangered languages
4. Establishes a program headed by the WLC to begin work on an artificial "Lingua Franca" that may be used internationally
5. Encourages all member nations to establish a governing body for their official language(s)
6. Establishes a fund for language education around the world

(note: I don't really know how to use formatting tags, so sorry for the whole mess)
Last edited by Slui on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nau States
Attaché

Founded: Feb 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nau States » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Dr. Heamofex Quint, the stand-in delegate for Nau, looks at the paper for a moment. "Although I can detect a couple of anomalies, the biggest one here is the applications to non-human majority countries. Continuing, certain languages aren't writ or spake, such as telepathy. For example, the Council of Serpentes (our most divine and wise leaders, hallowed be Rattlesmith's name), is composed of more-sperpent-than-human-hence-the-name Crolautus Sapiens. Opposed."
I have known adventures, seen places you people will never see, I've been Offworld and back...frontiers! I've stood on the back deck of a blinker bound for the Plutition Camps with sweat in my eyes watching the stars fight on the shoulder of Orion. I've felt wind in my hair, riding test boats off the black galaxies and seen an attack fleet burn like a match and disappear. I've seen it...felt it!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:21 pm

(OOC: First of all, what is the category and strength of this proposal? They should be listed somewhere in the draft so that posters can comment on them. Also, you mentioned that you have introduced this, but it failed to reach quorum. You should draft a proposal before submission, and only submit after a decently long period of feedback has occurred. On the proposal itself, I recommend employing line breaks and numbering your active clauses, which I have done below.)

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY

DEFINES a language as a method of human communication, either spoken or written, consisting of the use of words in a structured and conventional way

DEFINES linguist as an expert well versed in the study and function of languages

DEFINES a critically endangered language as a language with fewer than one million speakers

DEFINES a speaker of a language as any individual who can fluently read, write, speak, and understand a language

HEREBY

1) Establishes the World Language Comission (WLC), whose purpose is to study and catalog all worldly languages, be they naturally occurring or artificially created

2) Establishes a central library of historical, cultural, and educational documents in all languages cataloged by the WLC

3) Establishes a program headed by the WLC to maintain and protect critically endangered languages

4) Establishes a program headed by the WLC to begin work on an artificial "Lingua Franca" that may be used internationally

5) Encourages all member nations to establish a governing body for their official language(s)

6) Establishes a fund for language education around the world
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Slui
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Slui » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:32 pm

(OOC: Great, Thanks! is there any way to go back into the original post and reformat and add the category and strength?)

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:55 pm

This would smack against GAR#436: Protecting Free Expression in my opinion, especially the construction of the artificial language that must be used in all international deals. The WA has some base rules that the language of law must be English, so we have that matter settled, and there are quite enough languages and dialects that are spoken as is to establish one without making up one on the fly. While I think it is a noble goal to demand more words that I may use to cleverly trade barbs with the sillier nations of these halls, I must decline to vote in your favor unless we remove the mandatory spoken language.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:00 pm

Slui wrote:(OOC: Great, Thanks! is there any way to go back into the original post and reformat and add the category and strength?)

(OOC: Yes, just click the “edit” button at the top right of your post.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Erm, what's the Esperanto for "The early bird catches the worm" again?
Slui wrote:Hey all! This is my first post on this particular forum, so please excuse any errors I make in regards to the standards established.

For some time How long? GA#426 "Protecting Minority Languages" passed six months ago., I've been working on a resolution entitled the "World language Initiative," which is listed below. I've introduced it a couple of times, but it's yet to reach quorum. I would like some help with writing a resolution that has a halfway decent chance of passing, so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Category: Education and Creativity
Area of Effect: Cultural Heritage

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY

DEFINES a language as a method of human I await the impendent complaints from the Urrsish ambassadors, and you should, too communication, either spoken And there your problem lies - GA#243 "Language Preservation" was repealed in part because of concerns that nations could alter unwritten languages or written, consisting of the use of words in a structured and conventional What makes a language "structured and conventional?" way

DEFINES linguist as an expert well versed in the study and function of languages Why do you need to define a term that you do not use at all in your resolution?

DEFINES a critically endangered language as a language with fewer than one million speakers Whilst I detest RP-wankery with a passion... what happens if the language is exclusively spoken on an island of about 900,000 people and shows no signs of dying out any time soon?

DEFINES a speaker of a language as any individual who can fluently read, write, speak, and understand a language There is no need to define either of the two above terms when GA#426 (LINKY LINKY, in case you haven't noticed) already refers to language death.

HEREBY
1. Establishes the World Language Comission Commission (WLC) The WALS was created by GA#426, whose purpose is to study and catalog By what means? all worldly Define "worldly." languages This is, to some extent, in the WALS remit in GA#426, be they naturally occurring or artificially created If a schoolchild is asked to create a new language for homework, she should not be expected to hand in a second copy of that homework to the WLC. Similarly, textspeak would probably count as "artifically created" language - IKR? LOL! I<3U, BFF!
2. Establishes a central library Where? of historical, cultural, and educational documents GA#243 was repealed in part because it did not define what a "notable" work of literature was. How will you define what sort of documents go into your new library? in all languages cataloged catalogued by the WLC Whilst not covered by GA#426, this is probably overkill and undefined. How many languages would the Tinhamptonian constitution - a nation that officially recognises English only as a language - need to be translated in?
3. Establishes a program headed by the WLC to maintain and protect critically endangered languages Which is exactly why GA#426, which places more of an onus on member states to do so, was passed.
4. Establishes a program headed by the WLC to begin work on an artificial How artificial? Almost all words in almost all languages have roots - for instance, the English vision comes from the Latin video, meaning "to see." In lieu of using a cognate, what sort of word would - or, at least, could this new language use for the word vision? "Lingua Franca" that may Will this be mandatory, as some have feared? be used internationally Why would this be needed?
5. Encourages all member nations to establish a governing body for their official language(s) How would this work?
6. Establishes a fund for language education around the world GA#426 already does this, although only for languages that would otherwise be in danger of language death. GA#80 "A Promotion Of Basic Education" also requires that citizens in all WA member nations' schools recieve education on "[c]omprehensive literacy skills and fluency in the official or popular language(s) of their nation."

(note: I don't really know how to use formatting tags, so sorry for the whole mess)
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:39 am

Liberimery wrote:The WA has some base rules that the language of law must be English, so we have that matter settled

OOC
That's just an OOC rule, for players' convenience. IC, diplomats prepare their proposals in whatever languages (and systems of measurement, including dates, which is actually a resolution-guaranteed right) their governments prefer and then WA staff ("gnomes") translate those as necessary for everybody else.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:53 am

Taliostia wrote:English is considered a world language, include that in there.

(OOC: Don’t, there are many thousands of languages in the WA. Besides, mentioning English in a proposal counts as an RL reference and is thus illegal.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:06 pm

"Ladies and gentlemen, senhoras e senhores, damen und heren, messieurs-dames." The Ardanian SMFAWA began. "My government is sympathetic to the purpose of this proposal. Its vraiment und mucho vigtig ötlet taas oo is louable. I do however have some concerns with a number of the provisions. Starting with the definition of a critically endangered language. Plenty of languages spoken in my state is spoken by much fewer people than a million without being in any meaningful way endangered, critically or otherwise. A definition of whether or not a language is endangered need to look not just at whether a language has few speakers, but should include other factors. Most importantly, I believe, whether or not the number of speakers is declining or not. A language with less than a million speakers which has a stable or growing number of speakers is arguably less endangered than a language spoken by billions which is declining in number of speakers. Zee is mine primary point que je vous address today." The SMFAWA said.

"Secondly ich object to the provision calling for eine artificial "Lingua Franca" to be established by the WLC. Not only is it unnecessary to the purpose of this proposal, which I believe should be squarely focused on supporting endangered languages, but the establishment of a world language may in fact have und negative effekten on linguistically diversity. Finalement je vous propose that clause 6 be abandoned. Merci beaucoup."
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly