NATION

PASSWORD

ON HOLD: Through Thick and Thin

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

ON HOLD: Through Thick and Thin

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:18 pm

I was inspired to write this issue due to the fact that I'm fat

[title] Through Thick And Thin

[desc] Due to a recent spate of fat shamming, many fat acceptance movements have sprung up across @@NAME@@. Doctors are concerned that such movements are dangerous for people's health.

[validity] must have high obesity

[option] "My doctor suggested that I am overweight!" cries @@RANDOMFEMALE@@, causing your desk to shake with every step she takes. "He sai... he sai... he said I should lose a few kilos! Why can't people just accept me for who I am? He said that my weight is unhealthy. Well, what does he know? I'm not ugly, he's the ugly one! I mean, did you see those moles all over his face? Why can't us women just walk down the street without someone judging our dress size? That doctor should be in jail!"
[effect] genuine concern for a woman's weight is a criminal offense

[option] "Not just the girls!" comments @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, who's struggling to fit through your door. "Us blokes cop abuse for being fat, too. If a bloke calls a girl "fatty," everyone hates him, but if a girl calls me "fatty," everyone laughs! Well, it's time to end these double standards and make fat shamming illegal for everyone!" the crumbs from his donuts and from his mouth spill all over your floor
[effect] "you could stand to lose a few kilos" is an illegal idiom

[option] "Fatty-got-fat! Fatty-got-fat! Fatty-git-fat!" chants @@RANDOMNAME@@, a 10 year old school yard bully, who's pointing and laughing at you. "If you didn't wanna be called fatty, then why you so fat, fatty? Yea, fatty, be less fat! Fatty!"
[effect] women who wear size 2 clothing are prone to fat shaming
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:50 pm

Trotterdam wrote:We already have quite a few issues about obesity, including #72 Widening Buttocks Cause Movie Theater Havoc (generic "our people are too fat" issue), #288 Super-Sized Pizzas Recipe For Disaster? (fattening fast food), #477 Feeding Frenzy (junk food for children specifically), #549 Feasting Or Fasting? (another generic "our people are too fat" issue, but with two really dumb options), #716 Cheek to Cheek (seats not being designed for fat people), #855 Thin Evidence (scam diets), and #887 Thin Skin (beauty standards).
#887 seems to be the biggest overlap.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sacara » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:53 pm

Trotterdam wrote:#887 seems to be the biggest overlap.
Wow, that reply was from my first comment on the Writers' Block thread. Brings back old memories.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:58 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:We already have quite a few issues about obesity, including #72 Widening Buttocks Cause Movie Theater Havoc (generic "our people are too fat" issue), #288 Super-Sized Pizzas Recipe For Disaster? (fattening fast food), #477 Feeding Frenzy (junk food for children specifically), #549 Feasting Or Fasting? (another generic "our people are too fat" issue, but with two really dumb options), #716 Cheek to Cheek (seats not being designed for fat people), #855 Thin Evidence (scam diets), and #887 Thin Skin (beauty standards).
#887 seems to be the biggest overlap.

This is the first time I have ever been told that there is too much overlap with one of my own issues, without intentionally writing a follow up. Thanks!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:53 am

I think there's room for the potential health risks of the fat acceptance movement, if done with sensitivity and humour (incidentally, this draft needs work on the sensitivity). #887 is about airbrushing, and there's no real overlap there.

I'm going to post something my fellow editor Sanctaria said in July:

Sanctaria wrote:Just as a quasi-PSA, apropos to Baggieland's post, now that we've surpassed 1,000 issues in-game, the team are more open to issues that are very niche or that do display limited overlap.

Obviously it's going to be on a case-by-case basis, so we can't issue general guidelines on this, but other contributors telling you that there's already something similar on the books or that the issue would probably only be valid for a hundred or so nations shouldn't really stop you from doing up a couple of drafts.

The benefit to this is that us Editors can see where your mind is going on a topic, and we're better placed to tell you if the overlap is too significant for publication or if the topic is way too niche or something @@LEADER@@ just wouldn't bother with. And, of course, the more drafts you do the better. Even if it's not accepted because of the aforementioned, or even other, problems, it's good practice.

If in doubt, always ask an editor. The GI Discord is a great place for that.

That said, if you plan to pursue this idea, Aussie, I suggest you read more about the fat acceptance movement. Start with wikipedia and read the footnotes.

I think the angle you've picked is wrong. The health problems would probably make a good option, rather than being raised in the description. IMO, the last option needs to be stricken out and rewritten with a more subtle anti-fat option, the first two options are basically the same outcome but one is from a male viewpoint and one from a female viewpoint).

Gender could be an interesting viewpoint. But, it doesn't follow on from the introduction. I'd either focus on gender, or make it more general.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:48 am, edited 8 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Return to Got Issues?