NATION

PASSWORD

Is Tom Misunderstood?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Who do you support?

Tom
89%
Jerry
11%

Total votes : 56

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Is Tom Misunderstood?

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:15 am

For literally decades, millions of viewers cheered on Jerry as he absolutely destroys Tom.

However, in retrospect I believe it’s a mistake. In fact, we should side with Tom. 98 percent of the time Tom is the good guy and Jerry is the bad guy. I mean consider:

1. In most episodes, Tom is resting rightfully in his house until he is outright attacked/provoked by Jerry. Jerry is really an invader.
2. Tom wanting to kill Jerry isn’t his fault, it’s just his nature. He’s a cat. He doesn’t deserve to be battered, humiliated, destroyed for it.
3. Jerry is downright obnoxious

What do you think NS?

Did history get it wrong? Is Tom in fact the party we should support?

My opinion? Yes. I skip most of the episodes unless it’s a rare episode where Tom wins.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myfanwyski
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Myfanwyski » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:03 am

small beer in comparison to that Tweetie Pie and it's manipulation, humiliation and victimisation of the Puddy Tat.
Last edited by Myfanwyski on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 am

This is the joke behind Itchy & Scratchy.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Gurori
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gurori » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:32 am

My mind has been blown
Gurori is currently being refurbished, please excuse any inconsistencies in the meantime.
Puppet master of Neo Gurori.

This nation will never reflect my actual views.
Also, NS Stats are absolutely non-canon.

Dreshand
Envoy

Founded: Aug 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dreshand » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:36 am

Tom is basically a homeowner defending his house from a reoccurring robber
This nation does not represent my views. Or maybe it does, who knows
PT, MT, PMT or FT nation depending on my mood. Expect eldritch shenanigans
Feel free to Tg me, I'm a very lonely person
There is no context where Hail Yuno is not relevant
Newsfeed: PSA: Stay indoors children//Land Reclamation Initiative Nonexistent as of today//A Thousand Cities will be judged//Weather: Sunny, dont give in//Law and Order: Lucien Folter: Killer or Victim?//

Ausinia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ausinia » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:36 am

I shall now pay my respects. I have seen the truth now

*pays respects*
[url]Discord, cus why not [To be fixed][/url]
-Astoria wrote:‘WE'RE NOT COMMUNISTS, DAMMIT!’

Then explain the hammer-and-sickle on your flag. Otherwise, X.
This nation does not completely agree with my views.
Cooperation, Command, Control
THE UNITED COMMONWEALTH of AUSINIA
The Ausinian National:Due to recent baby booms in Ausinia, a general board has being formed, the leaders in new ways of fair population control. Suggested methods already include standardised testing in schools, for the most fit and intelligent to stand out.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:39 am

There was one episode where Tom was just sleeping quietly, peacefully... then Jerry dropped a vase near him and have the housowner threw him out.

Jerry is an asshole half the time, but there are also times when Tom was a huge bully. So... give and take. :P
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Greate Boston
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Greate Boston » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:39 am

I must admit I never found the point in cheering for Jerry. I see what you mean here.

Please don't make this thread into a power fantasy too, IM
Commonwealth of Boston
Mere months after the War for the Commonwealth, a barely held-together General Hart tries to keep the delicate balance in the Commonwealth. Retcon Underway
Now Playing: The Mechanist Unmasked!
Radio Freedom: Ceasefire broken between Bunker Hill and Zeller's Army. Raiders under Judge Zeller's command began attacking caravans leaving the largest unwalled settlement in the Commonwealth. | Somerville place robots defeated, but more robots voicing their loyalty to the unknown Mechanist attack small settlements in the southwest. | The Schism in the Brotherhood: Who are the sides, and which one should the Minutemen throw their lot with?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:57 am

Dreshand wrote:Tom is basically a homeowner defending his house from a reoccurring robber

It seems like Tom just wants to live peacefully, be loved by his owners, and live the good life.

But he keeps getting picked on.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:32 am

Poll shall be added

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:35 am

Myfanwyski wrote:small beer in comparison to that Tweetie Pie and it's manipulation, humiliation and victimisation of the Puddy Tat.

It’s that bad?

Lillorainen
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:36 am

"My eyes are opened now!" ... what's wrong with you folks? I've already sided with Tom when I was three years old.
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

Walshatte
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Walshatte » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:41 am

"..what's wrong with you folks? I've already sided with Tom when I was three years old."

Same here, man. Same here.

By the way, just in case anyone's interested, my associate is selling a few Black Rock Wheels. If anyone's interested, feel free to PM me.
Last edited by Walshatte on Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belorus Republic
Civilian

Founded: Feb 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Belorus Republic » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:43 am

As a kid, one of the only western cartoons that I watched was Tom & Jerry (probably because it didn't have speech so it was easier to understand).

I don't know about the others here, but I always had a silent wish that Tom would come out as the smartest in one of the episodes, and I think that there was actually a peaceful ending to a couple of them.

The design of the cartoon itself tries to make Jerry the underdog that always finds a way to succeed, but in the process just switches the label to Tom, who rarely 'wins' at the end of the episode.

Overall, I have mostly pleasant recollections of the show so I guess that this must have been the intended effect, at least for pro-Tom viewers.

Stiltball
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Stiltball » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:45 am

an endless tirade of catism by animators and the grandest insult is this obsession with the vapid Mickey Mouse who usurped Oswald the lucky Rabbit.

Zitravgrad
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Zitravgrad » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:52 am

Well, in my childhood impression, sometimes Tom came off as rather brutal in his methods. But overall, I just saw them as rivals on equal moral ground. These days, I am more inclined to support Tom because it appears to me that not only Jerry, but also other things are pretty much against him for no reason. (Like when there are new one-shot characters who cause trouble, they only cause it to the poor cat.)
❄ ❄ United Federation of Zitravgrad ❄ ❄
PMT/Early FT - Decopunk. Zitravgrad is a crowned republic in a planet somewhere else in the universe. The formerly wartorn nation keeps a facade of normalcy and order while enjoying the societal and cultural decadence that marks the new Roaring Twenties. The paranoid authoritarian government tries its best to uphold order in the face of uncertainty, while its people want nothing more than a breathing space. A deal that works, but maybe not in the long run. | My NS-Related Art | Hehe bad meme as flag
Providenska's Herald: "Publish or Perish" culture contributes to stress in academia | Public Smoking Ban revisited - authority urged to take it more seriously

Third Asopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Asopia » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:56 am

I agree with the OP. Since I was a kid I was interested in cartoons. But one particular cartoon that was liked by many didn't, erm, suit me. That's Tom and Jerry. Usually Jerry and Tom are the main protagonists. However, why does Tom keep on failing. It's Jerry that is annoying him. He's like an equivalent of Mickey Mouse. Jerry shouldn't be a busybody minding others' businesses. In fact, he should be punished. I just don't see how Tom doesn't manage to outsmart Jerry.
And yes. Thus is just an example of how one side always wins. It's unfair. The producers ought to make Tom look like he ain't stupid. This idea of one-sided superiority is like so damn popular. Cmon. You've gotta change. Well, unless a member part of making Tom and Jerry has a NS account, it's hard to see any improvement.
Presenting my signature signature!
Procrastination... is the art of knowing you have a job to do but know there's like a year till it's due. It's elemental for the Asopin soul to survive in such a slow-paced world.
Bored of having to see Juventus winning the Schudetto too many times? Can wait to see that match where Ronaldo didn’t shoot at all? Tired of seeing Napoli fight for first place when there’s no point? Oh boy, you’ve found a new friend.

I got Theo Theodoridis as my flag model. Showing my love for Greece!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:03 am

Just a cartoon where the cat and mouse dynamic is made funny.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:16 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Just a cartoon where the cat and mouse dynamic is made funny.

It’s borderline animal abuse promotion

I still side with Tom though if I pick

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:27 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Just a cartoon where the cat and mouse dynamic is made funny.

Fungus, it's just a cartoon. I'm going to assume you think The Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote show is animal abuse too. Have you considered not, I don't know, siding with any of the characters and enjoy the animation?
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:31 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Fungus, it's just a cartoon. I'm going to assume you think The Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote show is animal abuse too. Have you considered not, I don't know, siding with any of the characters and enjoy the animation?

I feel a kinship with Tom

Bad things just happen to him for no reason and he can’t prevail; and everyone cheers on his destruction

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:34 am

Tom and Jerry are both victims of an oppressive class system that places humans as superior and pits the two against each other so that they won't team up and take over the house, clearly.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:37 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Bad things just happen to him for no reason and he can’t prevail; and everyone cheers on his destruction

Ok. Feel kinship with Tom. It's still just a cartoon. *shrug*
Slava Ukraini

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:06 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

It’s make me feel very sad whenever Tom loses

I get very emotional :(

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:08 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

It’s make me feel very sad whenever Tom loses

I get very emotional :(

Ok? The cat doesn't always gets the mouse, you know.
Slava Ukraini

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction