NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Cyber Weapons Security Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

[DRAFT] Cyber Weapons Security Act

Postby Araraukar » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:53 am

OOC: This will be edited soon to be complementary rather than competing with the other proposal on the subject. We decided to specialize on different aspects of the issue rather than trying to merge two very different approaches.

Cyber Weapons Security Act

Category: International Security
Strength: Mild

The World Assembly,

Reaffirming the right of member states to own and use cyber weapons in times of war,

Concerned that member nations that heavily rely on computer systems in their everyday existence could be crippled by a mistargeted cyberattack on civilian computer systems,

Fearing that improperly secured cyberweapons may end up in the hands of terrorists, or that improperly handled cyberweapons may end up damaging unintended targets,

Hereby,

1. Defines a "cyber attack", for the purposes of this resolution, as any abusive action executed with a computer program, by either design or by accident against a computer system, without the approval of the owner of that system.

2. Defines a "cyber weapon" as a non-sapient computer program specifically designed to be used for a cyber attack,

3. Requires that member nations in possession of cyber weapons must
  1. To the best of their ability secure the location where cyber weapons are stored when not in use, whether it is a physical location, computer network or other storage system,
  2. Have a proper training program for safe handling of cyber weapons,
  3. Refuse entrance of any person known to be a terrorist or known to having strong ties to any terrorist group, to the training program,
  4. Restrict access to the cyber weapons to staff who have successfully completed the training program,

4. Recommends that member nations keep records of the cyber weapons in their possession, those who have access to them, and of any attempts, whether authorized or not, of erasing or activating a cyber weapon,

5. Permits treating a cyber attack against a military target as an act of war,

6. Forbids cyber attacks against civilian targets, such as hospitals or schools, that are protected from physical attacks by the rules of warfare or international agreements, even during a war,

7. Requires criminalization of cyber attacks.

Some Q&A to begin with...

1. Q: Didn't you try this before, only it was written by someone else?

A: You have a good memory! I wanted to resurrect the draft, given that someone had raised the topic again, but The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp didn't want to partake the drafting anymore, and gave me the permission to continue with it on my own. I have further changed the draft from what we had back then.

2. Q: What's with the "approval of the owner of that system"? Who would want their computer systems crashed?

A: Systems' defenses are often tested by the system's owner hiring someone to do their best to breach the defenses, so that if a breach occurs, it can be fixed, rather than the system turning out to be vulnerable only when the attacker is malicious.

3. Q: So what's with all those regulations? Do you really think that any nation with such weapons would let them spread indiscriminately?

A: I take it you haven't heard of Stuxnet? I don't think that 1.56% of Iranian nuclear weapons program was conducted in the USA...

4. Q: Why do you only permit treating a cyber attack against a military target as an act of war? Why not require it?

A: Aside from not wanting to dictate how people roleplay their war scenarios, if it was treated as an act of war in Real Life, USA, China and Russia would be engaged in a continuous war, with random smaller wars sparked all over the world as fallout from it.

5. Q: If the "don't attack hospitals or schools" thing is based on rules of warfare, why does it say "even during a war"?

A: Because it forbids them during peacetime as well. They just tend to be called terrorist attacks when it's not an act of war.

6. Q: So why only criminalize them? Why not declare them crimes against humanity, or war crimes?

A: Because there's no international court recognized by the WA, for handling such crimes, and because the definition of a cyber attack is fairly wide on purpose, criminalization is strong enough a requirement.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:53 am

Reserved for drafts and changelog.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Pan-Asiatic States
Senator

Founded: Nov 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Pan-Asiatic States » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:43 am

"The Sixth Administration heartily supports this motion.", yawps Asian Representative Yahui-Molotov.

"We believe that the motion could even go further, to cite the use of cyberattacks as immoral and unfair as a convention of war. Data and information are casualties that trump even lives. Should a cyberattack on a massive, coordinated scale be conducted, a nation's technological and cultural artifacts could be obliterated."
NEWS (12/24) (All)
Last Action (12/18)
Trade with us!
{_{__}_}
(☉_(✹‿✹)_⚆)

PAN-ASIATIC STATES
RPs I'm In: (1) (2) (3) (4)
Puppet(s): Hintuwan
NO-ONE FIGHTS ALONE! JOIN ESCB  TWI  ISC  ISVC TODAY!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:43 am

Pan-Asiatic States wrote:"We believe that the motion could even go further, to cite the use of cyberattacks as immoral and unfair as a convention of war."

"The problem with that approach, ambassador, is that the current definition includes hacking into a web server to post naughty pictures on someone's personal website, and I hardly think such a thing should count as an act of war," Johan explained. "If you have suggestions on how to improve the definition, I'd like to hear them."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:17 am

“I’m not quite sure why ‘to the training program,’ appears at the end of clause 3c. Is it intended to mean that terrorists should be reprimanded in a cyberweapons training program? That would probably be a bad idea. Aside from that, we support.”
Last edited by Kenmoria on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:40 am

Kenmoria wrote:“I’m not quite sure why ‘to the training program,’ appears at the end of clause 3c.”

"Because it is a sentence, "Refuse entrance of any person known to be a terrorist or known to having strong ties to any terrorist group, to the training program", that is part of the list of things that cyber weapons possessing nations must do. If there is something grammatically wrong with it, I'd be happy if you pointed it out; the translators don't always get all the nuances right."

OOC: Is it the comma before the words? I remember how we weren't sure if it should be there or not.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:42 am

Araraukar wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“I’m not quite sure why ‘to the training program,’ appears at the end of clause 3c.”

"Because it is a sentence, "Refuse entrance of any person known to be a terrorist or known to having strong ties to any terrorist group, to the training program", that is part of the list of things that cyber weapons possessing nations must do. If there is something grammatically wrong with it, I'd be happy if you pointed it out; the translators don't always get all the nuances right."

OOC: Is it the comma before the words? I remember how we weren't sure if it should be there or not.

(OOC: I may just be having a temporary brain malfunction, but I still can’t make sense of the clause. Taking it in isolation: “Requires that member nations in possession of cyber weapons must refuse entrance of any person known to be a terrorist or known to having strong ties to any terrorist group, to the training program,“ I can’t see where the last four words go or what is being referred to by it. What is going to the training program?)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:45 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Araraukar wrote:"Because it is a sentence, "Refuse entrance of any person known to be a terrorist or known to having strong ties to any terrorist group, to the training program", that is part of the list of things that cyber weapons possessing nations must do. If there is something grammatically wrong with it, I'd be happy if you pointed it out; the translators don't always get all the nuances right."

(OOC: I may just be having a temporary brain malfunction, but I still can’t make sense of the clause. Taking it in isolation: “Requires that member nations in possession of cyber weapons must refuse entrance of any person known to be a terrorist or known to having strong ties to any terrorist group, to the training program,“ I can’t see where the last four words go or what is being referred to by it. What is going to the training program?)

OOC: I think that there should be a comma after the first "terrorist".
(Also, the "having" should be "have"...)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Orion Posthuman Republic
Secretary

Founded: Dec 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Orion Posthuman Republic » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:22 pm

"As a nation with millions of synthetic citizens - myself included - cyberweapons are essentially on par to biological weapons as far as the Orion Posthuman Republic is concerned," Interim Ambassador Cato-5 Aldrin chimed in. "We absolutely support any efforts to ensure that this sort of armament is kept out of the hands of those who would use it for evil."
The Orion Posthuman Republic (OPR) - a liberal democratic capitalist post-cyberpunk oasis of multicultural extravagance and decadence that's traded in mortality for transhumanism and EDM.
FT Puppet of Avrellon. A Tier 8, Level 0, Type 9 civilization. We use most NS stats, aside from population. This nation is fairly close to my IRL political views. Theme music.
FAQ: What are posthumans?

OSN Breaking: Universal Covenant of Man breaks off diplomatic relations with the OPR for third time in last decade after exhibition of Old Earth artifacts on Sanctuary draws ire of UCM leader Father Adam bin Yahweh, who declares it blasphemy.* * * OIQ: 7853.98 -0.42 * * *  Stocks drop slightly in response to heightened tensions, though economy remains on target for a strong Q3. * * *

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Ambassador Slick McCooley takes the podium, sighing before speaking. "I do have several questions, but the following shall be of the greatest prominence- will this proposed draft interfere or otherwise render null the proposal 'Cyberweapons Control Act', drafted nearly a week prior, or can these proposals act in harmony with each other?"

OOC: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=450153

Also: https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_pa ... /start=377 I believe this already drafted resolution somewhat covers the intentions of this proposal. I do like the record-keeping clauses entailed in your proposal.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:44 am

OOC: You can restructure the sentence for clarity:

Refuse admission to said training program to any person known to be a terrorist or to have strong ties to any terrorist group,

Greater Cesnica wrote:Ambassador Slick McCooley takes the podium, sighing before speaking. "I do have several questions, but the following shall be of the greatest prominence- will this proposed draft interfere or otherwise render null the proposal 'Cyberweapons Control Act', drafted nearly a week prior, or can these proposals act in harmony with each other?"...

OOC: It's considered poor taste to pimp your own draft in someone else's thread. If you'd like to take it to TGs with the author of this proposal, nothing is stopping you.

Also: https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_pa ... /start=377 I believe this already drafted resolution somewhat covers the intentions of this proposal. I do like the record-keeping clauses entailed in your proposal.

OOC: I don't see any duplication worth mentioning between this draft and the passed resolution. I would like to see this draft's clause 7 modified to exempt cyberattacks conducted by states against other states during wartime (which the earlier resolution explicitly permits) - that would remove the only whiff of contradiction I perceive here.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:02 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: You can restructure the sentence for clarity:

Refuse admission to said training program to any person known to be a terrorist or to have strong ties to any terrorist group,

OOC: I'll change that for draft #2.

Greater Cesnica wrote:drafted nearly a week prior

This was originally drafted nearly two years ago, so... :P But yeah, like I said before, TG me if you want to cooperate.

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:OOC: I would like to see this draft's clause 7 modified to exempt cyberattacks conducted by states against other states during wartime (which the earlier resolution explicitly permits) - that would remove the only whiff of contradiction I perceive here.

Do you think it would still be okay to prevent targeting of civilian targets (like the hospitals and schools mentioned)? They're forbidden to be targeted by physical weapons in most cases, even during a war.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:37 am

Araraukar wrote:Do you think it would still be okay to prevent targeting of civilian targets (like the hospitals and schools mentioned)? They're forbidden to be targeted by physical weapons in most cases, even during a war.

OOC: Yes, that seems fine.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Araraukar, sure, I'll telegram you :D
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Araraukar wrote:Reaffirming the right of member states to own and use cyber weapons in times of war,

Which one is it going to be? Because you can't have both.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:51 am

Wallenburg wrote:
Araraukar wrote:Reaffirming the right of member states to own and use cyber weapons in times of war,

Which one is it going to be? Because you can't have both.

OOC: It was meant to say that using them during peacetime on civilian targets should be a crime, just like if you lobbed a more conventional artillery shell at the target. I see that at some point I got my wires crossed... :blush:

OOC: I'm currently talking with Greater Cesnica behind the scenes about the possibility of combining our drafts into one proposal, so haven't yet made the 2nd draft. All feedback on any errors/problems not yet mentioned is still happily welcomed.

Visionary Union
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Visionary Union » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:32 am

WA Ambassador Tassy: "Pardon me Ambassador, but wouldn't clause 7# be better worded as 'Requires criminalization of cyber weapons during peace time?'. Also, assuming one is planning a pre-emptive offensive against a foriegn threatening power, would this resolution forbid them from using said cyber weapons"?

Faltasia
Secretary

Founded: Jan 24, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Faltasia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:36 pm

What if a cyber-weapon is simultaneously usable for defense against cyber-attacks? Would my nation still even required to store it away?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:07 am

Faltasia wrote:What if a cyber-weapon is simultaneously usable for defense against cyber-attacks? Would my nation still even required to store it away?

OOC: Replying OOCly because that doesn't look like an IC question. I'm not entirely certain how you'd use a cyberweapon as defined in this proposal for defence. And RP-wise I'm intrigued in how you could use one for defence under whatever common sense definition of a "cyberweapon". Do note that we're talking about basically more or less advanced computer viruses, not human-grade (or smarter) AIs.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly