NATION

PASSWORD

[added] The Boys From Brasilistan

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[added] The Boys From Brasilistan

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:04 pm

A long time ago, like over a year ago, I thought it would be cool to do an issue riffing on The Boys From Brazil. I started writing it, but then mod stuff happened -- maybe I was promoted to game mod, maybe we had some controversy, maybe I was just going through an "OMG, I have to clean up ALL the reports" phase -- I dunno. And RL happened. And I kind of forgot about it and left it unfinished.

Well, I decided to finally take a shot at finishing it... Not sure how well it actually works, though.

The Boys From Brasilistan

[desc]A report from your Intelligence Ministry reveals that an illegal lab deep in the jungles of Brasilistan has created several clones of the infamous genocidal dictator Lee Terallihitlah, a.k.a. "the Butcher of Bigtopia," and placed them with adopted families scattered around the world, including some in @@NAME@@.

[option]"These children are a grave danger to the world!" says death camp survivor @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Think what would happen if one of them rose to power in @@NAME@@ and repeated Terallihitlah's crimes here. They have to be closely monitored to make sure that never happens."
[effect]police use DNA evidence to solve crimes that haven't happened yet

[option]"That's not enough!" yells Bigtopian human rights activist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "What if someone marries them without knowing? What if they have kids? Terallihitlah systematically murdered millions of Bigtopians because he believed we were genetically inferior. We can't allow his DNA to stay in the gene pool!"
[effect]a recent "genocide prevention" campaign includes murdering children based on their DNA

[option]"What is wrong with you people?" civil rights lawyer @@RANDOMNAME@@ wants to know. "Don't we have anything better to do than judge people by their DNA? These children aren't Lee Terallihitlah and they haven't done anything wrong. It should be illegal to discriminate against people based on their genes."
[effect]drug addicts demand treatment for genetic disorders they don't have

[option]"Hey, like, maybe we can use this," says controversial pop singer Britney Speer, as she bounces into your office dressed in a bizarre mix of sequins, body paint, and fascist regalia. "You can recruit the clones to work for you and have them travel the country promoting patriotism. What could possibly go wrong?"
[effect]politicians look weirdly alike

The Boys From Brasilistan

[desc]A report from your Intelligence Ministry reveals that an illegal lab deep in the jungles of Brasilistan has created several clones of the infamous genocidal dictator Lee Terallihitlah and placed them with adopted families scattered around the world, including some in @@NAME@@.

[option]"These children are a grave danger to the world!" says death camp survivor @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Think what would happen if one of them rose to power in @@NAME@@ and repeated Terallihitlah's crimes here. They have to be closely monitored to make sure that never happens."
[effect]police use DNA evidence to solve crimes that haven't happened yet

[option]"That's not enough!" yells Bigtopian human rights activist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "What if someone marries them without knowing? What if they have kids? Terallihitlah systematically murdered millions of Bigtopians because he believed we were genetically inferior. We can't allow his DNA to stay in the gene pool!"
[effect]a recent "genocide prevention" campaign includes murdering children based on their DNA

[option]"What is wrong with you people?" civil rights lawyer @@RANDOMNAME@@ wants to know. "Don't we have anything better to do than judge people by their DNA? These children aren't Lee Terallihitlah and they haven't done anything wrong. It should be illegal to discriminate against people based on their genes."
Last edited by USS Monitor on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:10 am

Well that's an... interesting premise. I notice the effect of option three doesn't really follow from the option though.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:24 am

So we're assuming that evil is genetic?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:32 am

Aclion wrote:Well that's an... interesting premise. I notice the effect of option three doesn't really follow from the option though.

The idea behind it is they're not allowed to be discriminated against based on whether they have the disorder or not. So they can't be denied "treatment."

Australian rePublic wrote:So we're assuming that evil is genetic?

You can choose option 3 if you don't think evil is genetic.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:08 am

Oof, this is a good one. A really weird and possibly too out-there one, but a good one regardless.

All I can say is this is a heart-wrenching dilemma and I'm surprised to say, as a pacifist, I'd probably pick option 1.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:25 am

You know, even if they weren't clones, the fact that they were initially raised by an evil cult would probably bode ill.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:39 am

Trotterdam wrote:You know, even if they weren't clones, the fact that they were initially raised by an evil cult would probably bode ill.

The adoptive families aren't necessarily in on it. In the book that inspired this, the adoptive parents weren't in on it. In the issue, I'm OK with it being ambiguous.

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:49 pm

USS Monitor wrote:The Boys From Brasilistan

[desc]A report from your Intelligence Ministry reveals that an illegal lab deep in the jungles of Brasilistan has created several clones of the infamous genocidal dictator Lee Terallihitlah and placed them with adopted families scattered around the world, including some in @@NAME@@.

Maybe make this two sentences?

USS Monitor wrote:[option]"These children are a grave danger to the world!" says death camp survivor, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Think of what would happen if one of them rose to power in @@NAME@@ and repeated Terallihitlah's crimes here. They have to be closely monitored to make sure that never happens."

Seems kind of short, without a lot of substance to it.
USS Monitor wrote:[effect]police use DNA testing to solve crimes that haven't happened yet

Usually option 2 would be something opposing the first view point, while option 3 is an out of this world idea. I'd rearrange the options like so: 3, 1, 2.

USS Monitor wrote:[option]"What is wrong with you people?" civil rights lawyer @@RANDOMNAME@@ wants to know. "Don't we have anything better to do than judge people by their DNA? These children aren't Lee Terallihitlah and they haven't done anything wrong. It should be illegal to discriminate against people based on their genes."

Either way, great issue! I like to see some Sci-Fi in issues sometimes!
Last edited by Krogon on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:27 pm

Krogon wrote:Usually option 2 would be something opposing the first view point, while option 3 is an out of this world idea. I'd rearrange the options like so: 3, 1, 2.

Changing the order would require rewriting the dialogue to change the way the characters react to each other, which I don't think is worth doing.

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:04 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Krogon wrote:Usually option 2 would be something opposing the first view point, while option 3 is an out of this world idea. I'd rearrange the options like so: 3, 1, 2.

Changing the order would require rewriting the dialogue to change the way the characters react to each other, which I don't think is worth doing.

fair enough

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:31 am

Great premise, really original.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Do other people agree with Aclion that the connection between option 3 and its effect line is not clear enough?

I like the effect line for option 1 a lot, but the ones for option 2 and 3 are just kinda... serviceable, but not amazing. 2 is too long. 3 should definitely be something stupid that happens because of being unable to rely on DNA, but I had trouble figuring out specifically what to put. Would "DNA evidence is no longer admissible in court" be better?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:37 am

USS Monitor wrote:I like the effect line for option 1 a lot, but the ones for option 2 and 3 are just kinda... serviceable, but not amazing.
I like the one for option 2.

Option 1 less so, it's too straightforward and just describes the decision without much of a joke.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:12 am

I would swap murdering with sterilizing in effect line 2. There's no suggestion that the kids will be killed, and sterilization makes more sense given the speaker while the effect line still manages to get across the admittedly very dark humour.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:52 am

Caracasus wrote:I would swap murdering with sterilizing in effect line 2. There's no suggestion that the kids will be killed, and sterilization makes more sense given the speaker while the effect line still manages to get across the admittedly very dark humour.
That probably means the option text should be changed rather than the effect line, then. Sterilizing isn't really much of an answer when there's already a bunch of people with the genes you're scared of running around, and it's been clearly established that cloning technology exists.

Many dictators' families didn't even stay in power for more than one generation, so their children really aren't who you should be worried about.

Also, we have #1050 for the ethics of sterilizing criminals.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:41 am

Caracasus wrote:I would swap murdering with sterilizing in effect line 2. There's no suggestion that the kids will be killed, and sterilization makes more sense given the speaker while the effect line still manages to get across the admittedly very dark humour.

I thought about that, but since it's already the crazy option, I decided to go ahead and go off the deep end.

Trotterdam wrote:
That probably means the option text should be changed rather than the effect line, then. Sterilizing isn't really much of an answer when there's already a bunch of people with the genes you're scared of running around, and it's been clearly established that cloning technology exists.

Some sterilization techniques are reversible too.

I could change it, but I'm not sure if I want to.

Trotterdam wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:I like the effect line for option 1 a lot, but the ones for option 2 and 3 are just kinda... serviceable, but not amazing.
I like the one for option 2.

Option 1 less so, it's too straightforward and just describes the decision without much of a joke.

Made a slight change to option 1, even though it's still the same concept.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:07 am

Naeh, I'm not for the idea of sterilization. That doesn't stop the clones themselves, really.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Jutsa wrote:Naeh, I'm not for the idea of sterilization. That doesn't stop the clones themselves, really.

^^^^^^^

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:14 pm

USS Monitor wrote:"What is wrong with you people?" civil rights lawyer @@RANDOMNAME@@ wants to know.

Don't really like the shape of this sentence, just "says" might do.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Eh, I disagree. It adds a bit of contrast to the normal way of doing things. :P
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:22 pm

still, it feels kinda weird to me :P but that's just my opinion

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:10 pm

I use "says" a lot and some people get bored with it.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:41 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I use "says" a lot and some people get bored with it.
Thank you for changing it up. :)
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Krogon
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Maybe include the fact that this guy is the Butcher of Bigtopia, because that's what I assume you were going for. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then I don't know the issue #, but I believe it's one of the original 30.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Krogon wrote:Maybe include the fact that this guy is the Butcher of Bigtopia, because that's what I assume you were going for. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then I don't know the issue #, but I believe it's one of the original 30.

This is actually completely unrelated, and it's pure coincidence that I picked Bigtopians as his victims. Now I need to look up that issue and see if I want them to be the same character or not...

I also had an idea about adding an option where you recruit the clones to work for your government and promote patriotism.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?