NATION

PASSWORD

Atomic Dreams (World Building Thread)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Atomic Dreams (World Building Thread)

Postby Harbertia » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 pm

Greetings,

I am Harbertia who some time ago launched an RP called 'Atomic Age Statesman' which was set in an Atomic Age Retrofuture based on real world designs, and alternate history. Due to such there was a small bit of 'oh yeah I'm interested' followed by 'oh wait I can't have Japanese Battle Mechs?'.

Players in the RP choose a state/nation to play as and then take that nation/state where ever they so desire using the 'profile' as a starting point- a launch pad. It's like playing HOI4- you choose a nation and take it where you want.

So I'm starting this world building thread as a way to flesh out the options as I do desire it to be based on some real world material.

This is what I have so far.

You can help expand what is written, suggest alterations be made, or propose a new article here on this thread. If you can think of more alternate history share it and let's go :D
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Tag. I'm very interested in the Nordic Council. A couple of small changes in 1950s history could have made it a much stronger union than it ever ended up being in real life.

What year will the IC start in?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:41 am

Plzen wrote:Tag. I'm very interested in the Nordic Council. A couple of small changes in 1950s history could have made it a much stronger union than it ever ended up being in real life.

What year will the IC start in?

At the moment the furthest year reached on the timeline is an ambiguous 20XX mentioned in the Canadian Timeline. 20XX is used at the moment as I'm not sure how long that would take though it may be an incorrect estimate.

It's meant to be about 5 or 10 years after the 40 reactors for Quebec are completed with such plans being put in motion during the mid 70s.

*found information showing that 374 out of 441 reactors in this example where built in less then 10 years*

*built time for a single plant is about 5 years*

*assuming some mild delay let's say these Quebec plants finished construction in 1984*

*so let's change that 20XX to 2000*

In doing so 2000 is presently the furthest date reached in the timeline being mentioned in the timeline of Sweden, Iran, and Canada.

Here we go, after some expansion this is the present timeline with 2000 being the latest date so far though with research that may change or due to how often it's occurred it's likely the year the RP will begin.

Actually let's plan on the starting year to be 2001 so the 2000 events have already come to pass. 2001 can thus serve as the starting point for the RP- the 'Dawn of the 21st Century'. Now that's exciting!

Edit: Do tell me more about the Nordic Council and your plans for it's alternate history. You've got an interesting Sweden to work with and with discussion on the Nordic Council the setting might get more details on Denmark, Norway, and Finland.
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Higher Japan
Senator

Founded: Oct 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Higher Japan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:54 am

Tagged, might bring back some generally...unconventional ideas and vehicles for civilians totally not disguised as left overs.
We don't use NS stats
A -0 civilization, according to this index.
Mod warning counter:
Unofficial: 1
NOTICE: As of 14/10, the empress has officially been granted greater control of the government, including military and financial sectors. That is all, have a good day.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:17 am

Higher Japan wrote:Tagged, might bring back some generally...unconventional ideas and vehicles for civilians totally not disguised as left overs.

hahahah :) That will certainly be nice to see. So far we've got this but I ran into some trouble with France. What ever you feel like adding do bring it up. France was in OTL the first country to not only see a working Experimental Atomic Car (in 1958) but also the first to ban Atomic Cars before the Atomic Car entered mass production. I'm not sure how French history has been altered to avert the ban... so it feels like a big hole in this timeline as I don't presently have anything regarding the lack of that ban so I feel unsatisfied.

I doubt that's what you where interested in but I thought I'd share it with you.
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Higher Japan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Higher Japan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:19 am

Harbertia wrote:
Higher Japan wrote:Tagged, might bring back some generally...unconventional ideas and vehicles for civilians totally not disguised as left overs.

hahahah :) That will certainly be nice to see. So far we've got this but I ran into some trouble with France. What ever you feel like adding do bring it up. France was in OTL the first country to not only see a working Experimental Atomic Car but also the first to ban Atomic Cars before the Atomic Car entered mass production. I'm not sure how French history has been altered to avert the ban... so it feels like a big hole in this timeline as I don't presently have anything regarding the lack of that ban so I feel unsatisfied.

I doubt that's what you where interested in but I thought I'd share it with you.

More of something that allows cross country and you know, what better way to remove the half tracks?

Also for the Japanese battle mechs would it be possible to have something primitive like battle frames with light mgs?
We don't use NS stats
Mod warning counter:
NOTICE: As of 14/10, the empress has officially been granted greater control of the government, including military and financial sectors. That is all, have a good day.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:22 am

Higher Japan wrote:
Harbertia wrote:hahahah :) That will certainly be nice to see. So far we've got this but I ran into some trouble with France. What ever you feel like adding do bring it up. France was in OTL the first country to not only see a working Experimental Atomic Car but also the first to ban Atomic Cars before the Atomic Car entered mass production. I'm not sure how French history has been altered to avert the ban... so it feels like a big hole in this timeline as I don't presently have anything regarding the lack of that ban so I feel unsatisfied.

More of something that allows cross country and you know, what better way to remove the half tracks?

Also for the Japanese battle mechs would it be possible to have something primitive like battle frames with light mgs?

1960s US Air Force Mech created for maintenance of a huge Aircraft's nuclear reactor;

This mech was built in OTL for an aircraft that didn't enter mass production but it's the closest I can find to a mid century style mech. Do you have some Japanese examples or does this look like something you can base designs on?
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:31 am

@Higher Japan: I guess what I'm requesting is some visual aid to help me understand what you are looking to do as the term 'mech' makes me a little nervous that things may be over the top (it's one thing when something had a working model produced, another when it's... something untried). So perhaps my imagination of what you have in mind (like my mind goes to hulking behemoth machines) is just out of hand. I mean, battle frames like those used in the Fallout Setting for it's power armor- that has some real world ties so- yeah maybe I'm just letting imagination influence my nerves.

Can you provide some visuals for me so I have a better understanding of what you have in mind. I'd love to see you play Japan in this. I just don't want things to be of such unrealistic proportions as to make things- seem impossible in the setting. Like I don't wont it to be ridiculous in the technology which is why I've been staying with things from the real world.

I'd really prefer if you gave me a real world example of a Japanese concept for such a thing- I'd prefer not to have anything highly fictional (at least not until the IC in which case it's the players doing and not really something associated with the setting as a whole).

Edit: I sometimes feel this- hinders the fun but then I remind myself that such is allowed after the IC starts so it's not really forbidden it's just excluded from the starting point. I'd like things to be set up in away where players can be serious if they want to be or expand on what was in our world to create an exciting future for themselves to play in.
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:46 am

I guess to be further honest; Japanese Retro-Futurism is... a bit creepy to me.

Tomorrow is made today.

Higher Japan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Higher Japan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:49 am

Imagine the suit that Ripely Scott had in one of the Alien movies earlier on (i forgot which one) that she used to beat the queen. Now imagine that just with some more armored sections and a protective plate over the face with the arms reequipped for combat. That is the closest i can find for now
We don't use NS stats
Mod warning counter:

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:57 am

Higher Japan wrote:Imagine the suit that Ripely Scott had in one of the Alien movies earlier on (i forgot which one) that she used to beat the queen. Now imagine that just with some more armored sections and a protective plate over the face with the arms reequipped for combat. That is the closest i can find for now

That works. What else do you have in mind?
Tomorrow is made today.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:01 am

Harbertia wrote:Edit: Do tell me more about the Nordic Council and your plans for it's alternate history. You've got an interesting Sweden to work with and with discussion on the Nordic Council the setting might get more details on Denmark, Norway, and Finland.

Negotiations for a Nordic military alliance was underway throughout the early 1950s, which eventually collapsed after Denmark, Norway, and Iceland joined NATO after US statements that they would not act to protect neutral countries against Soviet aggression.

What if, therefore, the Swedish nuclear program was slightly more developed and thus the Scandinavian nations more assured of their ability to defend themselves?

Is my premise.

Higher Japan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Higher Japan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:18 am

Harbertia wrote:
Higher Japan wrote:Imagine the suit that Ripely Scott had in one of the Alien movies earlier on (i forgot which one) that she used to beat the queen. Now imagine that just with some more armored sections and a protective plate over the face with the arms reequipped for combat. That is the closest i can find for now

That works. What else do you have in mind?

Beyond that not much else for now at least
We don't use NS stats
Mod warning counter:

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:23 am

Plzen wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Edit: Do tell me more about the Nordic Council and your plans for it's alternate history. You've got an interesting Sweden to work with and with discussion on the Nordic Council the setting might get more details on Denmark, Norway, and Finland.

Negotiations for a Nordic military alliance was underway throughout the early 1950s, which eventually collapsed after Denmark, Norway, and Iceland joined NATO after US statements that they would not act to protect neutral countries against Soviet aggression.

What if, therefore, the Swedish nuclear program was slightly more developed and thus the Scandinavian nations more assured of their ability to defend themselves?

Is my premise.

The Swedish Program has taken a different route- approving the L program (nuclear missile research) over the nuclear defense probram which has allowed it to produce it's own plutonium warheads. I say that matches your premise since the US is no longer selling nukes to Sweden. What I mean is that Sweden in the scenario presented doesn't have as much motive to join NATO. I approve.

'Edit: Them being on their own also encourages them to develop their own nuclear arsenal rather then collaborate on NATO's joint defense.
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Well I've yet to get the history up regarding the Nordic Council (and I would like to welcome your assistance with that Plzen) I'd like to say that I feel we can get the RP going now if ya'll like. The options for players would be limited for now but over time by inviting them to have discussion here the options can expand.

Otherwise I'm certainly ready to hear what you have to say about Norway Finland, or even Sweden (which while it has a page the page can always be expanded). Oh gosh- I should get that page on Mexico up- I lost my work on Mexico when my old computer - well I had to get a new computer and only transferred some of my files to the new one.

With Mexico I've got that it's government continued under the Institutional Revolutionary Party since 1946... but I can't remember the exact point of divergence I had in mind to keep the economy thriving. There was some change in party policy but I can't remember what it was- OH! I remember- the nationalization of the Oil Industry. It triggered the end of the economic prosperity Mexico was experiencing in the 50s. I should make that page- but for some reason I keep putting it off. It's been a while since I did the research.
Tomorrow is made today.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse