NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] At Daggers Overdrawn

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Firnea
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

[DRAFT] At Daggers Overdrawn

Postby Firnea » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Fair enough, I deleted the two options I personally deemed the most trivial, and altered the draft.
If it's still considered too long, I'd be ready to remove the final option as well, even though I'd prefer to keep it.

[TITLE] At Daggers Overdrawn

[DESCRIPTION] As a direct result of banks in @@NAME@@ having abused staggering repayment rates even for the smallest available loans, countless lower class @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ citizens are struggling to survive more now than ever before. The most eager of them now call for action against the biggest financial institutions of @@NAME@@.

[VALIDITY] Must not be communist; (probably) considerable wealth gaps (10.0+?); (possibly) high economic freedom (50+? 60+?); (possibly) at least "strong" economy

[OPTION 1] Not even half-way through your office door yet, a young, scruffy looking man, going by the name of @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, accompanied by four adorable little children, already starts ranting. "So you're telling me that, because our wonderful government has grown too thrifty to invest into welfare for the poorest, we have to run into crippling debt to still have some food in your fridge by the end of the month? And they said communism has your people starving! @@LEADER@@, it's about time you bring politics back to the people. If not for me, then for the next generation... please, allow the poorest to enjoy a piece of @@NAME@@'s wealth." Only a few seconds later, one of his daughters lets out a little groan and collapses on the floor face first.

[EFFECT] @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ banks make good use of newly record-breaking welfare funds, raising repayment rates even further.

[OPTION 2] Right after the child has been brought out of the room by a couple of paramedics, you already have the next visitor stepping inside, a middle-aged farmer trying his best to dress properly, but having ended up with the tie wrapped around his neck like a scarf, and still wearing mud-clenched, heavy boots. "G'day, @@LEADER@@. @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ is the name", he says. "See, we hard-working people depend on the banks just like everyone else, and if they don't fork over the money we need - well, I could really use a new tractor, one that doesn't run on 30 year old cookin' oil. Could finally grow more food, make it cheaper, and that young'un over there could afford more for his four children. Or three, whatevs. So... if you would...?"

[EFFECT] Families thrown into bankruptcy still cannot afford meat with a 15% discount on it.

[OPTION 3] "No, no, a thousand times NO!", shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a lawyer having become infamously known all over @@NAME@@ after sueing a poor family into complete bankruptcy for stealing an apple from a market stand. "@@LEADER@@, let me just ask you one question: why should the @@CAPITAL@@ Benevolent Bank be charged for the stupidity of all these filthy backwater yokels that failed to work for a better future? I believe our welfare system is more than sufficient. If these people can't handle their expense and get drunk instead of feeding their children, that is their problem, and their problem alone. @@LEADER@@, be reasonable, and allow banks to set repayment rates freely. Everything else will unnecessarily stand in the way of true economic progress." Upon noticing a pen with the @@CAPITAL@@ Benevolent Bank logo sticking out of @@HIS@@ suit's breast pocket, @@HE@@ quickly tucks it back in.

[EFFECT] The gap between rich and poor has widened enough to create a parallel society for beggars and thieves.

[OPTION 4] "What nonsense", @@RANDOMNAME@@, your mostly unchallenged personal secretary suddenly remarks, apparently thinking @@HE@@ will remain unnoticed, which clearly isn't the case. "What?! Look, I don't want to say they have it all wrong, but... quite frankly, I think they do. The way I see it, the problem isn't the bank in itself; it's capitalism. Just throw all of our banks together, create one centralised state bank, and put it under government control." After pointing out @@HIS@@ suggestion, @@HE@@ goes back to drawing a hammer and sickle on @@HIS@@ mouse pad.

[EFFECT] Recently unemployed CEOs lining up in soup kitchens realize not only revenge is a dish served cold.

Draft 2: Altered option 2 in favor of male-only

[DESCRIPTION] As a direct result of banks in @@NAME@@ having abused staggering repayment rates even for the smallest available loans, countless lower class @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ citizens are struggling to survive more now than ever before. The most eager of them now call for action against the biggest financial institutions of @@NAME@@.

[VALIDITY] Must not be communist; (probably) considerable wealth gaps (10.0+?); (possibly) high economic freedom (50+? 60+?); (possibly) at least "strong" economy

[OPTION 1] Not even half-way through your office door yet, a young, scruffy looking man, going by the name of @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, accompanied by four adorable little children, already starts ranting. "So you're telling me that, because our wonderful government has grown too thrifty to invest into welfare for the poorest, we have to run into crippling debt to still have some food in your fridge by the end of the month? And they said communism has your people starving! @@LEADER@@, it's about time you bring politics back to the people. If not for me, then for the next generation... please, allow the poorest to enjoy a piece of @@NAME@@'s wealth." Only a few seconds later, one of his daughters lets out a little groan and collapses on the floor face first.

[EFFECT] @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ banks make good use of newly record-breaking welfare funds, raising repayment rates even further.

[OPTION 2] Right after the child has been brought out of the room by a couple of paramedics, you already have the next visitor stepping inside, a middle-aged farmer trying their best to dress properly, but having ended up with the tie wrapped around their neck like a scarf, and still wearing mud-clenched, heavy boots. "G'day, @@LEADER@@. @@RANDOMNAME@@ is the name", the @@MAN@@ says. "See, we hard-working people depend on the banks just like everyone else, and if they don't fork over the money we need - well, I could really use a new tractor, one that doesn't run on 30 year old cookin' oil. Could finally grow more food, make it cheaper, and that young'un over there could afford more for his four children. Or three, whatevs. So... if you would...?"

[EFFECT] Families thrown into bankruptcy still cannot afford meat with a 15% discount on it.

[OPTION 3] "No, no, a thousand times NO!", shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a lawyer having become infamously known all over @@NAME@@ after sueing a poor family into complete bankruptcy for stealing an apple from a market stand. "@@LEADER@@, let me just ask you one question: why should the @@CAPITAL@@ Benevolent Bank be charged for the stupidity of all these filthy backwater yokels that failed to work for a better future? I believe our welfare system is more than sufficient. If these people can't handle their expense and get drunk instead of feeding their children, that is their problem, and their problem alone. @@LEADER@@, be reasonable, and allow banks to set repayment rates freely. Everything else will unnecessarily stand in the way of true economic progress." Upon noticing a pen with the @@CAPITAL@@ Benevolent Bank logo sticking out of @@HIS@@ suit's breast pocket, @@HE@@ quickly tucks it back in.

[EFFECT] The gap between rich and poor has widened enough to create a parallel society for beggars and thieves.

[OPTION 4] "What nonsense", @@RANDOMNAME@@, your mostly unchallenged personal secretary suddenly remarks, apparently thinking @@HE@@ will remain unnoticed, which clearly isn't the case. "What?! Look, I don't want to say they have it all wrong, but... quite frankly, I think they do. The way I see it, the problem isn't the bank in itself; it's capitalism. Just throw all of our banks together, create one centralised state bank, and put it under government control." After pointing out @@HIS@@ suggestion, @@HE@@ goes back to drawing a hammer and sickle on @@HIS@@ mouse pad.

[EFFECT] Recently unemployed CEOs lining up in soup kitchens realize not only revenge is a dish served cold.

[Draft 1: Too Long]

[OPTION 2] Right after the child has been brought out of the room by a couple of paramedics, you already have the next visitor stepping inside, a middle-aged farmer trying their best to dress properly, but having ended up with the tie wrapped around their neck like a scarf, and still wearing mud-clenched, heavy boots. "G'day, @@LEADER@@. @@RANDOMNAME@@ is the name", @@MAN@@ says. "See, we hard-working people depend on the banks just like everyone else, and if they don't fork over the money we need - well, I could really use a new tractor, one that doesn't run on 30 year old cookin' oil. Could finally grow more food, make it cheaper, and that young'un over there could afford more for his four children. Or three, whatevs. So... if you would...?"

[OPTION 3] "What is being attempted would merely result in a symptomatical workaround", @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, a young economics student quietly says after a single minute of well-appreciated silence. "While instead, we should focus on rooting out the underlying cause of this issue. To lift an entire generation and many generations still to follow out of poverty, we must outlaw these sky-high repayment rates, and set a reasonable limit. Something like, I don't know - 0.1 percent over 10 years?"

[EFFECT] Banks have given up on offering loans, leaving the poorest dependant on charity and state funding.

[OPTION 4] "No, no, a thousand times NO!", shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a lawyer having become infamously known all over @@NAME@@ after sueing a poor family into complete bankruptcy for stealing an apple from a market stand. "@@LEADER@@, let me just ask you one question: why should the @@CAPITAL@@ Benevolent Bank be charged for the stupidity of all these filthy backwater yokels that failed to work for a better future? I believe our welfare system is more than sufficient. If these people can't handle their expense and get drunk instead of feeding their children, that is their problem, and their problem alone. @@LEADER@@, be reasonable, and allow banks to set repayment rates freely. Everything else will unnecessarily stand in the way of true economic progress." Upon noticing a pen with the @@CAPITAL@@ Benevolent Bank logo sticking out of @@HIS@@ suit's breast pocket, @@HE@@ quickly tucks it back in.

[OPTION 5] Just as the influx of people flooding your office appears to have stopped, your phone suddenly starts to ring. "Ha, I told you kids, didn't I?", @@RANDOMNAME@@ says on the phone - the predecessor to your predecessor, being so old @@HIS@@ age is not exactly known. "If the fat cats don't rob us from the very beginning, they trick us into being legally allowed to rob us. But, if you funded a nationwide awareness campaign, reminding people they can always keep their money in a pillow, or a sock... there sould be no more problems with banks. It sure did work before the Great War!" Suddenly, a heavy coughing fit forces the ex-leader to hang up.

[EFFECT] @@CAPITAL@@ has seen more cases of burglary in the last week alone than the entire last year combined.

[OPTION 6] "I heard that. All of it", @@RANDOMNAME@@, your mostly unchallenged personal secretary remarks, who has been listening to the conversation over the other telephone in the office. "And, while I respect our beloved leader and what he's done, yadda, yadda, yadda... where was I? Right, so, there's no need for @@NAME@@ to be thrown back into pre-industrial times. The way I see it, the problem isn't the bank in itself; it's capitalism. Just throw all of our banks together, create one centralised state bank, and put it under government control." After pointing out @@HIS@@ suggestion, @@HE@@ goes back to drawing a hammer and sickle on @@HIS@@ mouse pad.

Last edited by Firnea on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:50 am

This issue is too long. As a general rule of thumb, the more options there are, the shorter each option should be
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Firnea
Bureaucrat

Postby Firnea » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 am

If I had to shorten it, I'd probably cut option 3 and option 5.

New Min
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Min » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:39 am

I agree it's too long. As soon as you made it more short, I'll give my feedback.
MINISTER OF WORLD ASSEMBLY AFFAIRS
of The People's Republic of The Communist Bloc

Central Committee member
Justice on The People's Tribunal

Firnea
Bureaucrat

Postby Firnea » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 am

Alright, I edited the draft, removing two options. I'd be ready to remove the last one if it's really necessary, in case it'd still be too long.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:38 am

Firnea wrote:If I had to shorten it, I'd probably cut option 3 and option 5.

You don't have to remove options if you just think about how you could get the speaker to say the exact same thing in less words or sentences.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Firnea
Bureaucrat

Postby Firnea » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:41 am

That's a fair point, but as a hobby author, I like to put some life into both dialogue and environment. I don't want any of my options to appear more bland simply because I had to shorten them, so I'd much rather prefer cutting options I don't necessarily need. Even if that means I'm somewhat stubborn about it.
Last edited by Firnea on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:51 am

Firnea wrote:That's a fair point, but as a hobby author, I like to put some life into both dialogue and environment. I don't want any of my options to appear more bland simply because I had to shorten them, so I'd much rather prefer cutting options I don't necessarily need. Even if that means I'm somewhat stubborn about it.

Just because an option is short doesn't mean they don't have life to them. But it's a fair choice and I can heartily agree with this reasoning, so carry on. :hug:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Firnea
Bureaucrat

Postby Firnea » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:09 am

I'll try to wrap up a version containing all options that is somewhat shortened, but I believe it may be somewhat difficult to express everything I want to. :) In the meantime, is there any feedback you can give me regarding the issue as a whole?

New Min
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Min » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:21 am

(Option 2)
@@MAN@@ says

I feel like it should be 'the @@MAN@@'. Also, I feel like it should really be a man who plays the role, so I sugges making '@@RANDOMNAME@@' into '@@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@'.

Also, a centralised state bank has nothing to do with communism (the hammer and sickle part), as communism seeks to abolish the state.

Central Committee member

Firnea
Bureaucrat

Postby Firnea » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 pm

New Min wrote:(Option 2)
@@MAN@@ says

I feel like it should be 'the @@MAN@@'. Also, I feel like it should really be a man who plays the role, so I sugges making '@@RANDOMNAME@@' into '@@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@'.

Valid points, I altered the second option and made a third draft for it. Thank you.

New Min wrote:Also, a centralised state bank has nothing to do with communism (the hammer and sickle part), as communism seeks to abolish the state.

I disagree. The Soviet Union has had its Gosbank from 1922 to 1987, which is what I had based the idea of a central bank on and which massively contributed to centralization of all industry. It was much less a commercial bank than an instrument of government policy. Considering how the early Soviet Union - effectively a Communist state - had solely been ruled by the Bolsheviks of the Communist Party, I don't believe these two elements exclude one another.

New Min
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Min » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Firnea wrote:
New Min wrote:Also, a centralised state bank has nothing to do with communism (the hammer and sickle part), as communism seeks to abolish the state.

I disagree. The Soviet Union has had its Gosbank from 1922 to 1987, which is what I had based the idea of a central bank on and which massively contributed to centralization of all industry. It was much less a commercial bank than an instrument of government policy. Considering how the early Soviet Union - effectively a Communist state - had solely been ruled by the Bolsheviks of the Communist Party, I don't believe these two elements exclude one another.

The Soviet Union wasn't a Communist state, it was state-capitalist... The fact that it was rulled by a party that self-identified as a communist party, doesn't make it an actual communist nation.
Btw, communism is based on a stateless society, and the USSR was clearly not stateless.

EDIT: It should be @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, not @@RANDOMMALENAME@@
Last edited by New Min on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Central Committee member

Firnea
Bureaucrat

Postby Firnea » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Alright, yeah. But, considering how this was initially about hammer and sickle, which represented many parties and nations that were not exactly "communist" by all means of definition, such as the Soviet Union or the Communist Party of Germany, it shouldn't be a big deal, really.

Firnea
Bureaucrat

Postby Firnea » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:36 am

Hey guys, sorry for the bump. Just a little on edge, since it's been two weeks since the last reply. Would appreciate more feedback.

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Firnea wrote:Hey guys, sorry for the bump. Just a little on edge, since it's been two weeks since the last reply. Would appreciate more feedback.

It's no problem! There are a lot of issues getting thrown around in this section!

As for the draft, I really like the writing. I love the style and how much detail you put into it! But sadly, nation states likes their issues short and sweet.

Don't get me wrong, I can tell you would make a great fiction author, but looking at the writing of lots of other issues, it looks like this is just a bit too complicated. As a fellow hobby writer, try to think of your situation like this:

You're Times New Roman, and Nation States is Arial.

I know this probably sounds a bit convoluted, but I hope you know what I mean.

Otherwise, I really like this issue. You're gonna do some great writing in your future, so good luck.
Last edited by Krogon on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?