NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Animation Dissertation

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Charliber
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Animation Dissertation

Postby Charliber » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:07 pm

[title] Animation Dissertation
[description] As award season nears in @@NAME@@, a kerfuffle is being raised by animation buffs, who view the judges on the award panels as largely ignorant of what constitutes a good animated film. This has somehow escalated into a political matter of national importance.

[option] "I don't see what the big deal is," condescends @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ film star, Emma Oskar. "Animation's all kiddie fare anyway. Do you really expect us to slog through a buncha schlock to find out the marginally best, hun? I don't see why these weirdos is so obsessed with children's cartoons."
[effect] What little X-rated animation exists in @@NAME@@ is regularly mismarketed to children.

[option] "It is precisely these sorts of stereotypes against animation that cause it to be so terrible," exclaims Walt Bluscher, famous animator. "Because so many media elites view animation as a medium purely of cheap trash to sell toys, lazy vehicles for toilet humor, or sappy garbage, few ever dare to try to do more, and the ones that do rarely see commercial success. @@LEADER@@, I request that you subsidize mature animation and launch some sort of cultural awareness campaign."
[effect] The mature reboots of Lightningleopards, Him-Guy, and Transmogrifiers have become smash hits in @@NAME@@.

[option] "The issue isn't that there is a lack of quality animation" says somewhat-prominent WhoTuber, Mother's Attic. "Right now, there's a plethora of beautifully-animated and deeply thought-provoking animation coming out of Honni; it's just that all but the most successful get ignored and ridiculed by culture at large, especially by those awards judges. I say a better solution is just decrease barriers of economic and cultural exchange with Honni. Heck, maybe just subsidize the import and translation of foreign animation."
[effect] Following a massive anime boom, many @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ have begun to use gratuitous Honnese in their everyday speech, desu.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Not sold on the premise. To my knowledge, there isn’t an issue about award show nominations, but this just doesn’t work imo. Maybe make it shot the lack of diversity on the award show nomination panels?
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Charliber
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Charliber » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:01 pm

[title] Particularly Plain Panels
[description] As award season nears in @@NAME@@, many equality advocates have begun to criticize the fact that the judge panels which distribute the awards barely contain any women, ethnic minorities, or LGBTQ individuals, and have begun to demand that the government take action.

[option] "The lack of diversity on these panels make these awards shows even more navel-gazing than they would be otherwise," chides equality advocate @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Experimental films about the struggles of minorities are regularly overlooked to promote more tripe about how filmmakers are so cool. I propose you implement some sort of diversity quotas on these panels, like you would any other profession!"
[effect] The latest blockbuster in @@NAME@@ stars a disabled, Bigtopian, homosexual female.

[option] "Pshaw, our organization's fine just the way it is," interjects film critic and host of the upcoming @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Film Awards, @@RANDOMNAME@@."If our panelists skew toward a particular demographic, then maybe that demographic's just better at filmmaking 'n' such. There is absolutely no reason to change anyhting."
[effect] "The Birth of @@NAME@@" was recently awarded "Best Picture" at the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Film Awards.

Sougra
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sougra » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:07 pm

I like the idea of animation not being taken seriously, but parts of it strike me as too similar to Issue #801, and the second draft has already become an issue. I do like the Mother's Basement reference though.
"Nobody here on NSG is sane, including me."

Just in case, often when I discuss something, it's under the pretense of the Socratic Method or the devil's advocate, so just know that I don't always advocate for what I'm saying. Thank you.

Also, I have a habit of editing posts soon after they're made to correct minor errors. Please be aware of that.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Sougra wrote:I like the idea of animation not being taken seriously, but parts of it strike me as too similar to Issue #801, and the second draft has already become an issue. I do like the Mother's Basement reference though.

I’m just going to stop suggesting premise changes, lol.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Charliber
Lobbyist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Charliber » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Sougra wrote:I like the idea of animation not being taken seriously, but parts of it strike me as too similar to Issue #801, and the second draft has already become an issue. I do like the Mother's Basement reference though.

Could you tell me what the number of the issue about a lack of diversity in film award panelists is?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:35 pm

Charliber wrote:Could you tell me what the number of the issue about a lack of diversity in film award panelists is?
#29 and #262 are about ethnic diversity in movies themselves, rather than award panelists. Various other issues address inclusiveness of things ranging from women to fat people.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:07 pm

How is there a lack of women? Aren't there entire male/female catagories?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:03 pm

Charliber wrote:[title] Particularly Plain Panels
[description] As award season nears in @@NAME@@, many equality advocates have begun to criticize the fact that the judge panels which distribute the awards barely contain any women, ethnic minorities, or LGBTQ individuals, and have begun to demand that the government take action.

[option] "The lack of diversity on these panels make these awards shows even more navel-gazing than they would be otherwise," chides equality advocate @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Experimental films about the struggles of minorities are regularly overlooked to promote more tripe about how filmmakers are so cool. I propose you implement some sort of diversity quotas on these panels, like you would any other profession!"
[effect] The latest blockbuster in @@NAME@@ stars a disabled, Bigtopian, homosexual female.

[option] "Pshaw, our organization's fine just the way it is," interjects film critic and host of the upcoming @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Film Awards, @@RANDOMNAME@@."If our panelists skew toward a particular demographic, then maybe that demographic's just better at filmmaking 'n' such. There is absolutely no reason to change anyhting."
[effect] "The Birth of @@NAME@@" was recently awarded "Best Picture" at the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Film Awards.

Can (or should) the government take action about something like this in the first place?

I remember that there was a controversy a couple of years ago about there being no Black Oscar nominees... While this might have been the result of a hidden bias, the American government couldn't be reasonably expected to intervene in the matter, I think.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?