NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] To Link the Fire

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] To Link the Fire

Postby Ritterdorf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:32 am

Issue Name: To Link the Fire
Validity:
* The nation has negative meters of sunlight for the weather ranking.
* The nation has not implemented theocracy.
* The nation has not implemented atheism.

ISSUE:
The sun has not been shining over @@NAME@@'s sky for long, and the cloudy land is on the verge of being consumed by an everlasting darkness due to rampant automobiles and factory emissions. The absence of the sun has led to an upraise of a cult that worships the sun, and the said cult is demanding a human sacrifice to rekindle the world via a bonfire.

OPTION 1:
"The sun is a wondrous body, like a magnificent father." Says @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, the cult leader who suggests to have someone linking to a bonfire. "As the flame is fading, only darkness would remain. @@LEADER@@, we need a willing human sacrifice to link the bonfire and rekindle the world, no human can live without the sun!" He then raises up his both hand and praises the fading sun. "PRAISE THE SUN!"

OUTCOME:
cult leaders regularly send people to praise the sun and and sit at a bonfire

OPTION 2:
"If the age of dark is inevitable, let it come, don't listen to that cult leader!" Says @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, the egomaniac Chief Officer of @@DEMONYM@@ Police Department. "Those cultists are just looking for an excuse for a human sacrifice, and we should get rid of every last one of those parasites. Send me an order and we'll send them straight to the sun they praise! Let's see if the sun would be truly gone without those parasites!" He then twirls his revolver and fires at the sun.

OUTCOME:
the sun gets driven out by police officers who regularly arrest and and kill sun-loving people

OPTION 3:
"Our eyes are yet to open!" Says @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, a mad scientist experimenting on how to live without the sun. "We need to evolve into superior beings who can truly live without sunlight. I have extracted DNA from various nocturnal animals who can live without the sun, like bats and owls, by incorporating their DNA into our own body, we can surpass the idiocy of our reliance of the sun and usurp the dark! Offer your humanity, and the dark will become our true friend again!"

OUTCOME:
citizens are turned into vampires via genetic modification to cope with the absence of the sun

OPTION 4:
"Are you all out of your mind?" Says @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, a grumpy farmer who despises factories and huge companies. "The reason why the sky is clouded is not because of those sun cult nonsense! It's because those fatcats are turning every single place into their factories! I have the easiest solution: Ban factories! Ban cars! Ban cigarettes! Ban airplanes! Ban computer! And ban everything! Without any smoke, nothing will block the sun and we farmers can finally farm some corps!"

OUTCOME:
climate change is resolved by dialing back to the Stone Age
Last edited by Ritterdorf on Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:04 am

Why isn't the sun shining? Is it because of the polar night? Well if so, that's due to the Earth's rotation and it'll be back in summer. So much, you'll get sick of it. You know this, it's always been the case
Is it because you live in a rainforest? We'll you've always lived in a rainforest, the sun has never shown.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:25 am

I think assuming a negative weather score means that the sun has ceased to exist is not an interpretation that most would run with. "Meters of sunlight" is an intentionally farcical unit of measurement, and you shouldn't be assuming that a negative figure means no sunlight exists.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 pm

The reason why there's no sunlight is because the emissions have become severe to the point they cloud the entire sky, blocking the sun from ever shinning. But I want to make it more implicit since the main concern is about a cult that praises the sun.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:24 pm

I think the lack of realism here is a bit beyond the normal exaggeration that issues are supposed to have.

Most people would understand a lack of sunlight in your nation to mean that it has a gloomy gray climate like the British Isles or New England -- not that it's some apocalyptic eternal night.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:16 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I think the lack of realism here is a bit beyond the normal exaggeration that issues are supposed to have.

Most people would understand a lack of sunlight in your nation to mean that it has a gloomy gray climate like the British Isles or New England -- not that it's some apocalyptic eternal night.

I'm afraid I agree.

I'd suggest that an option to induce a gloomy apocalyptic eternal night might make a fun crazy option. But we do have underground cities and the like already, so I'm not sure how you'd do that differently.

Lack of sunlight would realistically mean that a country gets a lot of rain or bad weather. Now, there's a potentially viable issue there -- perhaps the proliferation of SAD or the number of people suddenly "sick" on the rare days when good weather does roll around or the difficulty of finding clothing that's fashionable and warming resulting in young people developing hypothermia (that's just spitaballing) -- but this is just not very realistic.

If you want to write an issue for nations with bad weather (which could possibly include a weird -- and not very practical -- option for making the weather better), I suggest you have a rethink about the premise.

If the main point is to write about a cult worshipping the sun, I suggest you read this and this, and don't necessarily make it about the weather.

Please consider that we already have issues on cult suicide if using The Order of the Solar Temple as inspiration, however.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:31 am

The Free Joy State wrote:the number of people suddenly "sick" on the rare days when good weather does roll around

This would be a lot like "Sick Days for Sick Waves."
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 am

USS Monitor wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:the number of people suddenly "sick" on the rare days when good weather does roll around

See, I knew it was a good idea. :lol:

More seriously, don't repeat ideas we've already got.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:41 am

One more thing, as the title and premise suggest, this issue is heavily based on Dark Souls and there are several Dark Souls references in the options as well (except option 3, in which "Our eyes are yet to open!" is actually a reference to Bloodborne), but instead of having the First Flame fading, it's the sky getting overly clouded, and then a cult (that somehow resembles the Warriors of Sunlight) took an advantage on it.

Those who understand the in-jokes would have a great laugh while answering this issue.
Last edited by Ritterdorf on Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:45 am

Ritterdorf wrote:One more thing, as the title and premise suggest, this issue is heavily based on Dark Souls and there are several Dark Souls references in the options as well (except option 3, in which "Our eyes are yet to open!" is actually a reference to Bloodborne), but instead of having the First Flame fading, it's the sky getting overly clouded, and then a cult (that somehow resembles the Warriors of Sunlight) took an advantage on it.

Those who understand the in-jokes would have a great laugh while answering this issue.

And everyone else is going to think it's nonsensical and we'd get lots of complaints about the lack of realism.

Ritterdorf
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ritterdorf » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:53 am

I think maybe I can reword the premise into:

"The sun has not been shining over @@NAME@@'s sky for long, and the sky is on the verge of being completely shrouded by an everlasting smog made of rampant automobiles and factory emissions. The absence of a good weather has led to an upraise of a cult that worships the sun, and the said cult is demanding a human sacrifice to rekindle the world via a bonfire."

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:57 am

Even on an extremely overcast day, there is still more light reaching the ground than during the night or a solar eclipse. You wouldn't conclude that the sun is gone.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:26 am

Like I said, you can make it about the polar night. Hell, you can even add the Aurora to make it scarier. However (as I said earlier) the polar night and the aurora are normal in winter, and in summer, the sun never disappears in a phenomenon called the midnight sun where the sun does not disappear for much of summer. Of coarse though, those who are new to the Arctic/Antarctic would have no idea about these phenomena and probably be scared shitless, unless they are really, really shit at geography. Also, they would have to be nomadic so that they're unaware of the sun shining in their normal location. The alternative would be a primative Arctic/Antarctic nation who gets scared shitless, EVERY SINGLE YEAR, especially as they're used to the sun shining for the entirity of summer

USS Monitor wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=88&start=25#575

Sorry I stole your ability to go down that path
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?