NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] I Didn'tNot Fail to Not Say That

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[SUBMITTED] I Didn'tNot Fail to Not Say That

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:20 am

CURRENT DRAFT
TITLE:

I Didn't Not Fail to Not Say That

VALIDITY:

Elections, No state-controlled media

DESCRIPTION:

Your Foreign Affairs minister faced harsh media criticism yesterday when --following an official visit to Blackacre-- @@HE@@ said "I don't see any reason to suspect Blackacre operatives of having ill intentions towards @@NAME@@". This controversial statement was counter to a growing body of evidence collected by the @@DEMONYM@@ intelligence community.

OPTION ONE

"I realise there is some need for clarification," says the minister, sweating a little. "In a key sentence in my remarks, I said the word 'having' instead of 'not having'. Sort of a double-negative. I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."

Outcome: the current administration is going for an all time record on lies-per-month

OPTION TWO

"Look, you know that this @@MAN@@ is under investigation for corruption, don't you?" observes Intelligence Chief Hal Clinton. "It's hard to get concrete proof, but when it comes to holding one of the highest offices in the land, shouldn't we at least suspend @@HIM@@ from @@HIS@@ role while investigations proceed?"

Outcome: secret spymasters can impeach elected officials with little to no evidence

OPTION THREE

"It is possible this was an honest mistake, that could potentially have been avoided by considering the information delivery medium," points out lawyer @@randomname@@, reading slowly and carefully from a prepared statement. "All official political announcements should be in the written format, with press questions submitted in writing too. Also, ban government ministers from 'Twitcher' and other social media. Hopefully, that will bring some accountability to political statements."

Outcome: politicians no longer start their day with an early morning covfefe

SECOND
TITLE:

I Didn't Not Not Fail to Not Say That

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

Your Foreign Affairs Minister faced harsh media criticism yesterday when following an official visit to Blackacre @@HE@@ said "I don't see any reason to suspect Blackacre operatives of having ill intentions towards @@NAME@@". This controversial statement was counter to a vast body of evidence collected by the @@DEMONYM@@ intelligence community.

OPTION ONE

"I realise there is some need for clarification," says the minister, sweating a little. "In a key sentence in my remarks, I said the word 'having' instead of 'not having'. Sort of a double-negative. I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."

Outcome: the current administration is going for an all time record on lies-per-month

OPTION TWO

"Look, you know that this @@MAN@@ is under investigation for corruption, don't you?" observes Intelligence Chief Hal Clinton. "It's hard to get concrete proof, but when it comes to holding one of the highest offices in the land, shouldn't we at least suspend @@HIM@@ from @@HIS@@ role while investigations proceed?"

Outcome: secret spymasters can impeach elected officials with little to no evidence

OPTION THREE

"It is possible this was an honest mistake, that could potentially have been avoided by considering the information delivery medium," points out lawyer @@randomname@@, reading slowly and carefully from a prepared statement. "All official political announcements should be in the written format, with press questions submitted in writing too. Also, ban government ministers from 'Twitcher' and other social media. Hopefully, that will bring some accountability to political statements."

FIRST:
TITLE:

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

Your Minister of Foreign Affairs was yesterday broadcast stating "I don't see any reason to suspect Blackacre of having ill intentions towards @@NAME@@", a bold and controversial statement that goes counter to a vast body of evidence collected by the @@DEMONYM@@ intelligence community. Today, in the face of backlash from both the media and even your own political party, @@HE@@ has said @@HE@@ has realised he slipped up, and @@HE@@ meant to say "not having" rather than "having".

OPTION ONE

"I might have accidentally missed off the word that made it a double negative," says the minister, sweating a little. "Any rumours that I am in the pocket of Blackacre are false, and it's clear that the intelligence communities have my full support and confidence. Can we just let it go already?"

OPTION TWO

"Look, you know that this guy is under investigation for corruption, don't you?" observes Intelligence Chief @@randomname@@. "It's hard to get concrete proof, but when it comes to holding one of the highest offices in the land, shouldn't we at least suspend @@HIM@@ from @@HIS@@ role while investigations proceed?"

OPTION THREE

"It is possible this was an honest mistake, and such mistakes could potentially be avoided if we consider the medium of information delivery," points out lawyer @@randomname@@, reading slowly and carefully from a prepared statement. "Limit official political announcements and speeches to the written format, with press questions only answered after a minimum of 24 hours consideration. Also, let's stop government using 'Twitcher' and other social media."

SUBMITTED 28/8/18
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:48 am, edited 8 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:59 am

I really love how quickly you dashed off an issue on this :p

OK, here are my comments.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:TITLE:

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:

Your Minister of Foreign Affairs was yesterday broadcast stating "I don't see any reason to suspect Blackacre of having ill intentions towards @@NAME@@", a bold and controversial statement that goes counter to a vast body of evidence collected by the @@DEMONYM@@ intelligence community. Today, in the face of backlash from both the media and even your own political party, @@HE@@ has said @@HE@@ has realised he slipped up, and @@HE@@ meant to say "not having" rather than "having".

This sounds a bit cumbersome. Too many embedded sentences with "he." Also, one of those he's needs to be a macro, too.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:OPTION TWO

"Look, you know that this guy is under investigation for corruption, don't you?" observes Intelligence Chief @@randomname@@. "It's hard to get concrete proof, but when it comes to holding one of the highest offices in the land, shouldn't we at least suspend @@HIM@@ from @@HIS@@ role while investigations proceed?"

Maybe use the macro @@MAN@@?

-----------------------

Also, maybe it would be better if you stated that the Minister of Foreign Affairs made this statement while s/he was on a diplomatic visit to Blackacre and attended a press conference in the presence of Valeria Drake and her bodyguards who accompany her everywhere (and the rumor has it that they are well-trained assassins). After coming back to @@NAME@@, the minister changed his/her statement. You know, maybe not exactly in this way, but I think it would be good to somehow point out that this minister is - for some reason - afraid of what Blackacrians can do to him/her.
Last edited by Frieden-und Freudenland on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:31 am

Okay, tried to inflict some efficiency of writing in draft two.

Have added in a visit to Blackacre, but left off Valeria Drake for now. Maybe she could turn up in a 4th option. Not sure yet.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 am

Omg you fit covfefe in!

Your Foreign Affairs Minister faced harsh media criticism yesterday when following an official visit to Blackacre @@HE@@ said

This sentence's kinda confusion. That could be intentional, given the nature of this issue, but adding a comma after "yesterday" and "Blackacre" should help clarify things. :P

ed: Oh I'd love her in this; good counter to Hal Clinton.
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 am

By the way, I just noticed I mistyped a "shouldn't" as "should" when giving advice on another draft. I've already fixed it, but, so y'know, it does happen.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:16 am

I think you mean it doesn't happen, yes?

I'd not have thought that you wouldn't have not necessarily known that to not be the case.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:34 am

Jutsa wrote:I think you mean it doesn't happen, yes?
No, I didn't not refrain from failing to mean something else.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:06 pm

Interesting. However, this is a purely English thing. In other languages, in some other languages, more negatives serve to reenforce eachother, which means that in Greek, for example, "I didn't went nowhere" translates to "I went nowhere", as the double negative reinforces the original negative. Even if @@NAME@@ speaks a language where multiple negatives cancel eachother out, the translator could very easily cancel eachother out, and that's a point which the translator should bring up. I reacon that'd make a far better issue. Also, a double negative? How maundane. Why not a quadruple, sextuple negative? It probably won't work in the lost in translation part, I don't know whether or not more than two negatives reenforce eachother, but for NS's sake, we could probably work out something
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:28 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Interesting. However, this is a purely English thing. In other languages, in some other languages, more negatives serve to reenforce eachother, which means that in Greek, for example, "I didn't went nowhere" translates to "I went nowhere", as the double negative reinforces the original negative.
So, if someone said "I don't see any reason to suspect Blackacrian operatives of not having ill intentions towards @@NAME@@" in Greek, that would mean "Backacrian operatives really, really don't have ill intentions towards us"? I find that unlikely.

Hilarious multiple negatives are not the point here. That's just a title joke. The point is how leaving off a negative - even if it's the only negative - can completely change a sentence's meaning even though it's only a very slight change in wording. Multiple negatives would defeat the purpose, since it would leave the sentence as incomprehensible gibberish regardless of whether the speaker technically said it right or not.

Though now that I think about it, I recall when I was looking up Zulu stuff and discovered that...
Trotterdam wrote:(Hey... this language has negative versions of verbs that aren't just the positive versions with "not" prepended/appended? That's awesome! That would prevent so many typos!)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Though that's probably true, it's probably safe to assume must players' languages have "not" in it.
Safer than assuming commas, actually. :P

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:35 am

The description speaks of "a vast body of evidence" collected by the intelligence community, but in option 2, a representative of this community says they have nothing concrete so far. Of course it's technically possible to have a vast body of only circumstantial evidence, but still the two statements seem a bit confusing when taken together. Maybe it would be better to speak either of a growing body of evidence, or only of a wide consensus in the intelligence community that Blackacre is up to no good?

On a minor note, 'Minister' is with a capital in the description, but 'minister' with a small 'm' in the first option.
Last edited by Hediacrana on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:48 am

Jutsa wrote:Omg you fit covfefe in!

Yeah, I thought it was too forgettable a thing to base an issue around, but there's a lower standard of reference-notability for effect lines.

Bearing in mind it's normally a couple of years for my issue's to be edited, I suspect it'll raise concerns at that time. I guess we'll just see if it still feels usable by that time.

This sentence's kinda confusion. That could be intentional, given the nature of this issue, but adding a comma after "yesterday" and "Blackacre" should help clarify things. :P

Okay, gotcha. Might give the dreaded emdash a go instead.

Trotterdam wrote:By the way, I just noticed I mistyped a "shouldn't" as "should" when giving advice on another draft. I've already fixed it, but, so y'know, it does happen.

Heh.

Hediacrana wrote:The description speaks of "a vast body of evidence" collected by the intelligence community, but in option 2, a representative of this community says they have nothing concrete so far. Of course it's technically possible to have a vast body of only circumstantial evidence, but still the two statements seem a bit confusing when taken together. Maybe it would be better to speak either of a growing body of evidence, or only of a wide consensus in the intelligence community that Blackacre is up to no good?

On a minor note, 'Minister' is with a capital in the description, but 'minister' with a small 'm' in the first option.

Nothing concrete on the guy being corrupted, but a vast body of evidence on Blackacre having ill intentions towards @@NAME@@.

I mean, there's all those issues if nothing else.

Growing works fine for me though, so used it.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:16 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Nothing concrete on the guy being corrupted, but a vast body of evidence on Blackacre having ill intentions towards @@NAME@@.

Ah, yes, I see now.

You still have 'Minister' and 'minister,' btw.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:13 am

Hediacrana wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Nothing concrete on the guy being corrupted, but a vast body of evidence on Blackacre having ill intentions towards @@NAME@@.

Ah, yes, I see now.

You still have 'Minister' and 'minister,' btw.

Oops, fixed.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:08 am

The below comment is not important to the draft, as I personally don't see anything more to add.
Might give the dreaded emdash a go instead.
You don't like my beautiful — and I do mean beautiful — em dashes? :o
(ftr I used normal dashes until Shwe converted me.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?